• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Has there been any mention of if or when they're going to get weapons working in the preview window?

This game needs to give you a popup warning you that something will become bound when you buy it. Just to help stop accidental purchases. I've bought stuff I didn't want a few times already. I bought some 47k pants the other day and I'm still waiting for a GM to get me my money back. A system where you have a couple of hours to get a refund on commendation gear would be nice too. It's nice to have that in WoW and I'm sure it saves a lot of GM's time they would have to spend restoring currency and items.

Skirn

I'm getting a bit bored of my Trooper Commando (level 21) and the Republic, so I've been thinking of rolling a Powertech Bounty Hunter.

I know Powertech is a tank Advanced Class, but I'll be speccing Pyrotech for damage dealing. My question is; will I be expected to tank even though I'll go down a DPS tree? I hate tanking, it's too stressful at times and I suck at it, to be honest.

Lain

Made it to 28 on Operative, got Eviscerate, it says it works wonderfully on weak and normal enemies, and is reduced against strong enemies. I was able to use it once on a silver elite, but not against gold elites. I'm not even sure how it works exactly, as it became available against the silver elite but I hadn't cast a stun or incapacitating ability on it.
So, how does Eviscerate work exactly?!

I'm getting a bit bored of my Trooper Commando (level 21) and the Republic, so I've been thinking of rolling a Powertech Bounty Hunter.

I know Powertech is a tank Advanced Class, but I'll be speccing Pyrotech for damage dealing. My question is; will I be expected to tank even though I'll go down a DPS tree? I hate tanking, it's too stressful at times and I suck at it, to be honest.

The BH is the mirror to the trooper, so even if you go with the other AC, it will probably feel fairly similar. Especially if you're going to go down the shared tree (which I believe pyrotech is).

Wallach

Made it to 28 on Operative, got Eviscerate, it says it works wonderfully on weak and normal enemies, and is reduced against strong enemies. I was able to use it once on a silver elite, but not against gold elites. I'm not even sure how it works exactly, as it became available against the silver elite but I hadn't cast a stun or incapacitating ability on it.
So, how does Eviscerate work exactly?!

Assuming this is the equivalent of Cheap Shot for Operatives, you can't use it on elite/champion targets (including players) at all. It should only work on silver (strong) and lower stuff, and only when they are stunned/mezzed by something.

Skirn

The BH is the mirror to the trooper, so even if you go with the other AC, it will probably feel fairly similar. Especially if you're going to go down the shared tree (which I believe pyrotech is).

Yeah, I know. Commando is the mirror of Mercenary, that's why I want to try out a bit more melee-focused character, which I assume the Powertech is. Powertech, from the looks of it, also seems to be the better choice for Pyrotech than Mercenary. Mainly because of the bottom-tier talents in Advanced Prototype (Rail Shot ignores 60% armor, for example).

Bah, all this theory crafting, guess I'll just try it out instead. Maybe I'll also find tanking to be fun in this game if I ever get that role in a flashpoint.

Lain

Assuming this is the equivalent of Cheap Shot for Operatives, you can't use it on elite/champion targets (including players) at all. It should only work on silver (strong) and lower stuff, and only when they are stunned/mezzed by something.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

Is anyone getting this Error 9000 issue? I had heard about it and then today I couldn't stay logged in for more than a minute at a time during peak time. The support forums indicate that they have no idea why this is happening either.

I'd rather have server queues again than a constant fear that I'll be booted.

Won

There won't be. I submitted a ticket a couple days after launch and they didn't get back to me with an automated response for over a week. Said that the issue was marked as "under investigation" and have yet to get back to me about it again. :|

That's just silly. I guess they really don't want me to subscribe.

d4533

I've only been playing since this weekend, so sorry if is this a dumb question. Is there a scheduled weekly downtime for the servers like in WoW, and if yes when does it happen?

Also, if possible can I get an invite to the GAF Empire guild on Keller's Void? Character name is Rymin.

Thanks

Lain

I've only been playing since this weekend, so sorry if is this a dumb question. Is there a scheduled weekly downtime for the servers like in WoW, and if yes when does it happen?

Also, if possible can I get an invite to the GAF Empire guild on Keller's Void? Character name is Rymin.

Thanks

I'm not sure if they settled on which day will be the weekly maint. day. I think there is a scheduled maint. on the 4th though.

how do I get hold of a double light saber? I unlocked SI assassin AC, but weapon vendor doesnt have one to sell.

Do I need to get off my starter planet to get one? I wanted to get the double saber before doing the level 11 class quest (I am level 10)

Alex

how do I get hold of a double light saber? I unlocked SI assassin AC, but weapon vendor doesnt have one to sell.

Do I need to get off my starter planet to get one? I wanted to get the double saber before doing the level 11 class quest (I am level 10)

When you pick your advanced class they give you a box with any required tools inside. You should have gotten a box with a double-bladed lightsaber inside.

Jrmint

Just got Sweeping Gunfire on my Gunslinger (Level 22), good lord that ability is amazing. I would have thought the damage was not going to be too high, but it knocks down like at least half the mobs health. That combined with the grenade will finally give me some strong aoe options.

Wallach

Just got Sweeping Gunfire on my Gunslinger (Level 22), good lord that ability is amazing. I would have thought the damage was not going to be too high, but it knocks down like at least half the mobs health. That combined with the grenade will finally give me some strong aoe options.

It gets pretty awesome once you hit 48 and get XS Freighter Flyby. Definitely wish that one was acquired earlier.

Jrmint

Yea that sounds awesome too.

Does Sweeping Gunfire get interrupted if you get hit? I was using it in a FP with a tank.

goodfella

Yeah, you go into your inventory then right click the advanced class tool kit.

Ken

Zoomed in while on a speeder is pretty cool.

b9e4612f.png

I want to play a bounty hunter that can fly up into the air (eg to admire scenery from above) can both advanced classes do this?

Can BHs actually fly? I was under the impression that their "flight" was a part of one of their missile attack animations (and don't go very high up).

Don't think any fly really, they just have jump/hover animations as part of various abilities.

someone who played the beta said that you can jump high even without an enemy around (I guess he meant you can use an ability even without targetting an enemy which sounds...wrong).

meep!

Neo Member
Anyone know what's up with daily quests not reseting?
I waited almost 2 days for my space missions to reset, but still nothing.

Wallach

someone who played the beta said that you can jump high even without an enemy around (I guess he meant you can use an ability even without targetting an enemy which sounds...wrong).

He's probably talking about Death From Above. You don't target a specific player with that ability, you get a big reticle that you have to aim directly onto the ground and you bombard that area for AoE damage. When performing the move, your Bounty Hunter jetpacks directly up into the air about 10 feet and stays up there while raining down rockets on that location (hence the name).

what are the best crew skills to go with if i just wanna make money and buy shit from the player market instead of crafting and selling stuff myself? slicing i heard is good, but what else?

i've been putting a bunch of money and energy into scavenging, underworld trading, and cybertech, but every weapon and armor upgrade i can craft is inferior to what comes with the weapons and armor i'm picking up, and i'm just not getting a lot of payoff from it. i'd rather just be rich and buy my problems away lol

what are the best crew skills to go with if i just wanna make money and buy shit from the player market instead of crafting and selling stuff myself? slicing i heard is good, but what else?

i've been putting a bunch of money and energy into scavenging, underworld trading, and cybertech, but every weapon and armor upgrade i can craft is inferior to what comes with the weapons and armor i'm picking up, and i'm just not getting a lot of payoff from it. i'd rather just be rich and buy my problems away lol

Well getting lock boxes and items from missions would probably be the simplest though not exactly best for money making. If you don't want to craft, just do gathering type professions and sell what you gather. Crafters are always buying and you can make good money just selling mats.

He's probably talking about Death From Above. You don't target a specific player with that ability, you get a big reticle that you have to aim directly onto the ground and you bombard that area for AoE damage. When performing the move, your Bounty Hunter jetpacks directly up into the air about 10 feet and stays up there while raining down rockets on that location (hence the name).

ah that explains it! nice!

LowParry

Well getting lock boxes and items from missions would probably be the simplest though not exactly best for money making. If you don't want to craft, just do gathering type professions and sell what you gather. Crafters are always buying and you can make good money just selling mats.

Ehhh, I find that selling mats isn't much of any good money making. Not yet at least. I've only seen Grade 1 and 2 up for sell on the AH.

CzarTim

Ehhh, I find that selling mats isn't much of any good money making. Not yet at least. I've only seen Grade 1 and 2 up for sell on the AH.

You have to keep an eye on the market and move fast. I was making 300k-500k a day selling UT mats, but then the market died after slicing was nerfed.

Souplak

So Im a bit OCD when it comes to quests which in turn has made me a bit overleveled. I just got to Alderaan and im lvl 33. So I decided that I would only do the class quest and the "world" quest.

So does the main quest really end after
someone breakes you free from prison and then you have to kill 3 Sith Apprentices?

So Im a bit OCD when it comes to quests which in turn has made me a bit overleveled. I just got to Alderaan and im lvl 33. So I decided that I would only do the class quest and the "world" quest.

So does the main quest really end after
someone breakes you free from prison and then you have to kill 3 Sith Apprentices?

There are more quests than a person needs in the game. The later levels are very large with lot of stuff you can skip if you want. Had to force myself to stop exploring on Tatooine as just kept finding new quest "hubs" with new chains and I was already over leveled and my class story was sending me elsewhere.

Main quest? You mean your class story? No that goes all the way to Act 3 and should be closer to max level.

oneils

doh massive fail

and now I'm at work lol

Uh, is that what that pack is? When I became a commando I got a bag. Was I supposed to open it? hahaohman.jpg

That was 20 levels ago. Hilarious. I have to check this out.

Edit: Yep. There was an Autocannon and Power Generator in the bag. They look like they would have been pretty damn good way back at level 10, too.

Interfectum

There are more quests than a person needs in the game. The later levels are very large with lot of stuff you can skip if you want. Had to force myself to stop exploring on Tatooine as just kept finding new quest "hubs" with new chains and I was already over leveled and my class story was sending me elsewhere.

Main quest? You mean your class story? No that goes all the way to Act 3 and should be closer to max level.

Yeah it sucks but I think I'm going to start skipping side quests. I'm almost 30 and I'm still on tatooine. Would it be best for me to plow through the main story quests on both tatooine and alderaan to get back on track? Are there any cant-miss sidequests on either of those planets?

Wallach

I don't know how it is on your guys' servers, but on mine people sell crafting missions for whatever the default price is when they stick the item into the GTN sell panel.

That makes them very, very profitable. It costs me almost 7.5k for the 340 Diplomacy mission (4.3k or so for the GTN default price people list and around 3.1k for the mission itself) and when I send one of my max affection companions, I get 5 purple materials, 10 blue materials and a purple tier 5 companion gift. I can usually make 10 times that much back from those materials at a minimum. The 340 Bioanalysis mission is a bit more random it seems, but I generally get around 30 of two grade 6 green materials, and 15 of another.

If you are a crafter, get while the getting is good. I don't think the crafting missions are going to be up at default GTN prices forever. The only downside is the initial investment in getting a schematic that you can use to convert those materials.

Souplak

No Im not talking about the class quest. Maybe calling it the main or world quest was wrong.
There is this questline which usually starts at the spaceport on all the planets. It more or less points you to all the quest hubs. And its after finishing that questline which spawns the XXXXX bonus series quests.

For example on Tatooine there was the
Czerka(?) quest.

But on Alderaan it ended with just 3 quests and you never left the starting zone. It ended with
the Organa duke saying that the battle was won but not the war.

Yeah it sucks but I think I'm going to start skipping side quests. I'm almost 30 and I'm still on tatooine. Would it be best for me to plow through the main story quests on both tatooine and alderaan to get back on track? Are there any cant-miss sidequests on either of those planets?

I dunno if anything vital is missed, I did the main line and bonus series on Tat when I hit 30 and had ton of quests and stuff to do still, so I just moved on... Finding the Revan related mission on Nar Shadda intrigued me though as a side quest and kind of made me not want to miss things, but Tat is huge and no idea what to do, so I just left behind a ton of stuff undone on that planet. I'll go back to finish a few heroics with guildies probably, but theres lot of map unexplored for me still and stuff in my tracker that is green now. Doing Alderaan now since not sure I like being so over leveled and if I OCD Tat I would be several more levels up.

Lain

Some levels ago I bought a couple crew skill mission books from the AH, used them and had my companions complete them, but I haven't seen them repop in my missions lists.
Are those books a one time deal thing?

Also, another annoyance I have with the UI that I hope will be fixed is that schematics don't show if you know them already (or if they do, I have no idea where/how). Looking at the AH for schematics, seeing one and having to go open the list of stuff you know (which closes the AH window, so you have to reopen and research after which is another annoyance) to make sure you don't already have that one learned is bothersome.

Top Bottom