• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

I must say, Alderran and Tatooine are quite nice looking. Hoping to power through Alderran with my smuggler and get legacy so I can start alting with my consular/sage

The engine can do environments pretty well, but the character models tend to look bad. And the interiors of buildings and such also look quite bland.

But man, some of those vistas on Alderaan, Hoth and Tatooine look really good, and they are all different types of environments too (mountains, ice and desert).

There are more quests than a person needs in the game. The later levels are very large with lot of stuff you can skip if you want. Had to force myself to stop exploring on Tatooine as just kept finding new quest "hubs" with new chains and I was already over leveled and my class story was sending me elsewhere.

Main quest? You mean your class story? No that goes all the way to Act 3 and should be closer to max level.

Really? I'm finding my Marauder to be underleveled and I do EVERY non-group quest I can find. Up until about Alderaan, I was doing all the group quests as well, but the later areas are ghost towns on my server and it's extremely difficult to get groups together for 4-man missions, which they all seem to be.

It's not worth doing every mission on all the planets. I haven't received gear that upped my character stats since Nar Shadda and I'm on Balmorra now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I will tell her to try it when I get home. She has an Alienware m15x Laptop (yeah I know overpriced, but I didn't pay for it) which should be plenty capable of playing it ... she literally has 4 fps at times though.

edit : She tried it and it didn't do anything :(
Did she hit apply when switching it to high before switching back to low?

Moaradin

It's not worth doing every mission on all the planets. I haven't received gear that upped my character stats since Nar Shadda and I'm on Balmorra now.

Heroic Quest and Area Quest are definitely worth doing because they will more than likely give you gear upgrades. Most of them are fully modable gear also.

Macattk15

Did she hit apply when switching it to high before switching back to low?

Doubt it as the phone call I just made to her dealt with "I manually turned the sliders up and down and then hit apply."

I told her to mess with the Graphical Presets .... hopefully she will when she gets home. Haha.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The engine can do environments pretty well, but the character models tend to look bad. And the interiors of buildings and such also look quite bland.
I don't really feel the same way at all. I can't think of an MMORPG with better character models. They're bought down by the low quality armor textures and weird low-res corruption texture, but otherwise they look very good and express things very well.

Macattk15

Got the girlfriends laptop specs also ...

Core i3 M330 @ 2.13Ghz (Quad)
3GB RAM
Mobility Radeon 5730

And why the hell does my level 27 Sith Juggernaught look like he is wearing cloth! Gimme some damn HEAVY looking armor!

Blitzzz

But man, some of those vistas on Alderaan, Hoth and Tatooine look really good, and they are all different types of environments too (mountains, ice and desert).

the gear is still so low texture and ugly to look at up close... assuming there are high quality textures in the game, not sure how that bug was missed. The very first character select screen is a jagged/blurry mess!

The game does seem very easy to over-level. PVP and space missions give more than long quest chains in ~15min

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just got to Alderaan this morning before work. i was only there an hour or two but i was expecting a boring planet from how people described it. Not my experience so far. Not only is it fun to screw with the nobles the Imperial Agent story has a really cool contact and im curious if anything crazy is going to come of it.

Currently im level 33 and hopefully i can get to 36 so i can get my stealth attack.

Really? I'm finding my Marauder to be underleveled and I do EVERY non-group quest I can find. Up until about Alderaan, I was doing all the group quests as well, but the later areas are ghost towns on my server and it's extremely difficult to get groups together for 4-man missions, which they all seem to be.

Are you mixing it up as well doing some space, flashpoints, heroics, and pvp? Everything gives you xp so if your doing everything in the game it really adds up. Also are you building up rest by logging off in cantinas/fleet/ship? I've had ton of quests and some heroics on every planet I've left behind and have pretty much been always about 3 level over.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just got to Alderaan this morning before work. i was only there an hour or two but i was expecting a boring planet from how people described it. Not my experience so far. Not only is it fun to screw with the nobles the Imperial Agent story has a really cool contact and im curious if anything crazy is going to come of it.

Currently im level 33 and hopefully i can get to 36 so i can get my stealth attack.
I ended up at 37 when I finished Alderaan (I went back to Nar Shaddaa at some point to take care of the bonus series there since it starts at 31), which opened up the bonus series to me (lvl 40). While it left me somewhat overleveled for Taris, I wasn't so overleveled that I wasn't getting XP from the class quests there thankfully.

Moaradin

My computer died last night and wont come back on. If I unplug the power and plug it back in, it flashes for a second before dieing again after I push the power. I think it might be PSU related but not sure yet. Would suck because I spent good money on getting a quality Power Supply only a year ago.

I'm bored with no TOR =(

markatisu

My girlfriend gets horrible FPS (single digits ... even in space missions) and I don't know what to do to help her. I don't have her exact specs on her laptop but it runs Skyrim just fine. It isn't a shitty laptop by any means ...

I'm trying to text her to get her exact processor and video card ... but it just doesn't make sense how it can run Skyrim just fine but not Old Republic ... damn MMO's.

She has shadows and all the bells & whistles stuff turned off or on low .... even changing the resolutions does not net any increase in performance.

Update the drivers, that and having Shadows turned on is usually the culprit to shitty performance

Macattk15

Update the drivers, that and having Shadows turned on is usually the culprit to shitty performance

She is using the 11.11 AMD drivers (Same ones I get 110 FPS with .... albeit different card) with shadows and bloom OFF.

4 fps in Dromund Kaas.

I'll try to tweak some shiz when I get home.

Are new Warzones announced yet with more than 8 players?

Just new flashpoint in a few weeks and new content for the Palace Operation (basically because its unfinished right now lol). They said more warzones are coming, but we dont know when. We will probably get some new content every month, with a bigger update every so often probably.

markatisu

She is using the 11.11 AMD drivers (Same ones I get 110 FPS with .... albeit different card) with shadows and bloom OFF.

4 fps in Dromund Kaas.

I'll try to tweak some shiz when I get home.

That just sounds wrong, even my 3 year old computer with horrible graphics card can get 15-20 fps

Has to be something with the settings or drivers, maybe try rolling back to the previous version. SWTOR can be very bitchy with graphic card drivers

Here is a good thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=114264

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What kind of daily challenges, if any, do you get on PVE servers? How often, if ever, do you get to do quests with others online on PVE servers?

Allard

Tanks. Using Risha will make packs of regular mobs die, but introducing 1 strong alone will make the fight harder than it needs to be. Introduce an elite into the mix and I'm probably going to die. I've stuck with Corso for the most part but I generally pull Risha out for dialogue to get her affection up.

Bit late to the party with this, but I actually use Risha almost exclusively for anything that doesn't equal killing several elites at once. Its a bit more hectic but I like the increased DPS, I just have my scoundrel function as a pseudo tank, grab most the enemies attention (that I havn't CCed) and just do pistol whip as often as possible and use emergency med pac + HoT heal to exploit upperhand and get no cast time heals on myself while still doing damage. Even with 2 sub elites fighting us at once I can still pull through and do it at a blistering pace. Corso just makes controlling the flow of battle better. I am looking forward to getting my final companion though, finished Balmorra and doing Quesh and Hoth right now, so I will see how my play style changes with that.

Speaking of companions, Bioware was smart to tie their performance to gear. They opened up a whole new end game option for a player where they not only gear themselves for combat, but they gear their companions to be top notch. I know when I get to lvl 50 I am going to try and out fit all 6 (Including the optional droid companion) with all the best equip. Going to take forever ><

What kind of daily challenges, if any, do you get on PVE servers? How often, if ever, do you get to do quests with others online on PVE servers?

Thats basically up to you. There are daily space missions where you have to complete a set of space missions to get a reward, daily flashpoint (dungeon) runs that can be done, also in open world pve there are heroic areas that are meant for groups, and the quests in these areas can be repeated daily as well. Daily pvp quest as well. You can play most content with other players if you want to, though the game really is solo friendly as it has more than enough content to supply the casual audience not looking to play with others.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Thats basically up to you. There are daily space missions where you have to complete a set of space missions to get a reward, daily flashpoint (dungeon) runs that can be done, also in open world pve there are heroic areas that are meant for groups, and the quests in these areas can be repeated daily as well. Daily pvp quest as well. You can play most content with other players if you want to, though the game really is solo friendly as it has more than enough content to supply the casual audience not looking to play with others.

Thank you. That helps a lot. I like playing with others a lot, but I have zero interest playing against others.

Is there a NeoGAF PVE server guild?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I ended up at 37 when I finished Alderaan (I went back to Nar Shaddaa at some point to take care of the bonus series there since it starts at 31), which opened up the bonus series to me (lvl 40). While it left me somewhat overleveled for Taris, I wasn't so overleveled that I wasn't getting XP from the class quests there thankfully.
Good to hear since this will probably be my path. i have the bonus quests for Nar Shaddaa.. i got them before i left NS the first time but i was like 3-4 levels under the enemies so i went to Tatooine to level.

Realyn

Just new flashpoint in a few weeks and new content for the Palace Operation (basically because its unfinished right now lol). They said more warzones are coming, but we dont know when. We will probably get some new content every month, with a bigger update every so often probably.

Suxx. In 8vs8 you just need 2-3 dumb guys who dont care about the objective and your screwed.

Darklord

Banned
How do I get the title Baron for my Bounty Hunter? I looked it up and it said it's an alderaan quest but I've finished my BH questline there. Unless I go back later? I've just started Act 2.

Patch coming soon, right? Please fix Mako, PLEASE fix Mako.

Maaseru

Banned
xNWWg.png

Edit: That's actually the physical copy. The Digital isn't sold out. Hit Buy Now and you're done.

Edit 2: Laughing a bit at Maaseru looking at that screen day after day and raging. Sorry.

Cool it's ok, didn't notice the digital version was not sold out since the new year.
I checked every day until my monitor crapped out just before NYE, but until recently it was sold out.
I guess I'll just buy it now.

oktarb

I've been overleveled in general since Balmorra, don't use me as a comparison. ;P

Its so easy to do if your a quest whore like myself. How can I leave the planet? That officer over there clearly needs help! The Empire must prevail and I shall do my part. Add in the space mission that yield goo exp as well as PvP and bound to turn your current quests green.

I recently upgraded my ship to all the Grade 2 parts I could find. man does that make a difference. I just wish I could nurture my ship even more. Outfit it like houses in Skyrim.

Are you mixing it up as well doing some space, flashpoints, heroics, and pvp? Everything gives you xp so if your doing everything in the game it really adds up. Also are you building up rest by logging off in cantinas/fleet/ship? I've had ton of quests and some heroics on every planet I've left behind and have pretty much been always about 3 level over.

I do FPs when I can, but again, it's tough to find groups on my server. I don't like PvP in MMOs and I haven't touched the space missions since I did one in beta and said "yep, this is dumb". Perhaps I shall give them another try.

Blitzzz

I do FPs when I can, but again, it's tough to find groups on my server. I don't like PvP in MMOs and I haven't touched the space missions since I did one in beta and said "yep, this is dumb". Perhaps I shall give them another try.

If you don't like pvp or space missions, then you will be pretty close to the planet level range.

pvp really does give an insane amount of xp. 10k+ easy per match not including the extra you get if you complete the dailies. I plan on levelling my alts by just doing class line + pvp haha. Frees up companions to farm all the time too

Azzurri

If you don't like pvp or space missions, then you will be pretty close to the planet level range.

pvp really does give an insane amount of xp. 10k+ easy per match not including the extra you get if you complete the dailies. I plan on levelling my alts by just doing class line + pvp haha. Frees up companions to farm all the time too

That's what I plan on doing.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

I liked how the quest stories revolve around houses fighting over power of the planet. It reminded me of some Game of Thrones stuff! Also, my class quest just got BAD ASS after the Alderaan quest! (Sith Warrior)

usea

You could get to 50 without doing your class quest (after arriving at the fleet) by just doing pvp and flashpoints, gearing through GTN right? That would be interesting to have a character that is 50 with only 1 companion and no ship. Maybe I will do that as my next character.

I liked how the quest stories revolve around houses fighting over power of the planet. It reminded me of some Game of Thrones stuff! Also, my class quest just got BAD ASS after the Alderaan quest! (Sith Warrior)

It's actually probably my favorite planet story so far next to the one on Tatooine (because anything having to do with the Infinite Empire is awesome). Not including my class quests, I honestly can't tell you what I did on Nar Shaddaa or Balmorra or what I'm doing in Taris, but Alderaan sticks with me.

I'm trying to log in after being gone for a few weeks and its asking for the last name of my maid of honor. I've never been married. Grrrr.

Allard

Would love to see Voidstar - get way too much Huttball.

I like void star and Huttball lol, what I can't stand is the Alderaan one XD, then again I always hated resource based war games in MMO's. I don't have the patience to wait on those games, especially when our team sucks at them. Then again part of the reason I like huttball and Voidstar is im a scoundrel Smuggler, I like stealthing around and surprising opponents by placing bombs up when they are distracted in void star, or sneaking behind enemy lines and waiting for a team mate to pass to me (My server actually passes!) Gotten several 6-0 spreads.

Maaseru

Banned
"The following products are restricted and cannot be added to your cart:
STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Digital Standard Edition"

Yeahh not available yet, WHY?!?!?!?!? just gonna go to gamestop when I can.

Won

I like void star and Huttball lol, what I can't stand is the Alderaan one XD, then again I always hated resource based war games in MMO's. I don't have the patience to wait on those games, especially when our team sucks at them. Then again part of the reason I like huttball and Voidstar is im a scoundrel Smuggler, I like stealthing around and surprising opponents by placing bombs up when they are distracted in void star, or sneaking behind enemy lines and waiting for a team mate to pass to me (My server actually passes!) Gotten several 6-0 spreads.

You should see a whole team that knows how to use their classes and to pass on Huttball. You are suddenly completely useless as Scoundrel, because you don't have the right utility for the map.

Choc

Banned
So how good is the Jedi Knight storyline?

Considering making one as my next alt.

I mean, I love my commando, but I just finished Tattoine, and I think I need a short break before starting up Alderaan (at least a break that doesn't involve me mindlessly running around the class starter planets randomly buffing and healing people).

dont do JK until they fix the class. Its borked right now seriously borked. needs a serious buff. It has apparently been acknowledged on the forums that its borked and is going to get fixed, especially the guardian

Jarmel

Banned
dont do JK until they fix the class. Its borked right now seriously borked. needs a serious buff. It has apparently been acknowledged on the forums that its borked and is going to get fixed, especially the guardian

Link please. Would love some acknowledgement that I'm stuck with the shit class and it's not just me.

EDarkness

Link please. Would love some acknowledgement that I'm stuck with the shit class and it's not just me.

I'd like to see that as well, since I've been reading the SWTOR forums and haven't seen anything yet. I think my Jedi looks awesome, but the class needs some love and I just want Bioware to admit this so we can get some changes going.

Top Bottom