• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So how good is the Jedi Knight storyline?

Considering making one as my next alt.

I mean, I love my commando, but I just finished Tattoine, and I think I need a short break before starting up Alderaan (at least a break that doesn't involve me mindlessly running around the class starter planets randomly buffing and healing people).

I'm *really* loving the story. The main story quest blends perfectly with the planet/side quests, and so this really feels like a KOTOR 3. It starts a bit slow, but things definitely pick up in the second half of ACT 1, and now that I've finished ACT 1, I look forward to the next 16 levels I have till 50. There are a couple "twists" toward the end, but honestly, not that great, and are resolved too quickly. Still though, good.

But don't play it, yet.

The JK Sent is way underpowered, and makes a lot of the solo quests a massive chore. Either your "main" companion needs to have a heal, or your char needs more HP. Because as it is, the JK Sent is WAY too squishy.

Allard

You should see a whole team that knows how to use their classes and to pass on Huttball. You are suddenly completely useless as Scoundrel, because you don't have the right utility for the map.

Oh I get that feeling occasionally when up against a team of 50's and they all group up together. Players have too much hp at lvl 50 when fully geared which means a group effort is needed to take down someone (No more taking out players solo), other people have force jump, knock back moves (Get hit in that bloody fire all the time from Consulars/Inquisitars), the only thing I got is some situational stuns, long cool down CC abilities, no tank abilities, a couple speed reducing abilities (Which doesn't do much anyways since speed is reduced on ball handlers as is). My main utility is on slowing down assailants, situational healing, positioning for passes, and if I'm lucky sniping off a tranq bolt when a player isn't fighting anyone yet, and snooping around to get in position where none of the opposing players are looking. But a group of well organized players? That strategy won't work out unless my team is equally well organized.

erragal

You should see a whole team that knows how to use their classes and to pass on Huttball. You are suddenly completely useless as Scoundrel, because you don't have the right utility for the map.

I agree with this entirely. Operative/Scoundrel are at a huge disadvantage against coordinated huttball teams due to their lack of movement abilities, even with healing it can be very challenging to keep up with the level changing.

dont do JK until they fix the class. Its borked right now seriously borked. needs a serious buff. It has apparently been acknowledged on the forums that its borked and is going to get fixed, especially the guardian

I can't wait for my Juggernaut to be overpowered if this is true.

Choc

Banned
trying to find it guys

people have been mentioning it all over the officail forums that bioware has said its shit but not linked it

hmm

still looking :) have a look all over the class forum for JK though people bitching like crazy about how hard it is

i am stuck on a stupid boss that apparently can be done at 26 and i am lvl 30. Many others are and anyone that got past it, grouped not solo'd which is not the intention

Everyone has said the Act 1 and 3 bosses are impossible without grouping which is of cousre not biowares intention, this being kotor 34567.... etc

anyway somewhere they have acknowledged it i guess but i am still looking. Multiple people keep saying it though on that forum, not just one person so it must be somewhere :|

basically the JK needs a healer companion, and doesn't get one until late in the game. Thats the biggest problem with the JK.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
if any of you are thinking of rolling sniper

this site is really good

swtorsniper.blogspot.com
I've only played Marksmanship, but looking over the other specs I'm not really sure how they're supposed to compete. Followthrough can essentially double the opening damage, and it serves as a very cost efficient and effective damage dealer thoughout fights. Maybe I'll mess with Engineering in a few levels but I'm just not sure how it's supposed to put out as much damage.

I also don't really get why this guy recommends using damage dealers while leveling up. I find it much more helpful to have a tank absorbing most of the damage while I unload.

Macattk15

So yeah. My g/f still gets a maximum of 10 fps .... after doing the high settings to low settings thing .... running in XP compatability mode .... shadows off .... bloom off .... I don't understand.

Tacitus_

They mostly seem like DPS races to me. Not a whole lot of challenge.

The trio boss of Boarding Part is just stupid. Then for the bugs, in the False Emperor, the gimmick npc turned invisible or otherwise glitched it's visual position from its script position.

And the cleaves. Cleavetrain inc CHOO CHOO

ezekial45

Banned
This install is taking soooo long, but there is something that has got me worried.

The installer has crashed twice. I'm not sure if it's done it at the same exact point, but the crashes have happened nonetheless. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is there a title given for finishing Hammer Station? We beat the boss today and I swear I saw an orange sign flash ("Nemesis"?), but I got no title.

usea

I dunno who said the purple mission items were selling for a lot. I'm 400 slicing and I've only managed to sell 1 or 2 of them on the GTN, and I put them up for less than the recommended price. Recently I've just been vendoring them rather than hassle with going to the GTN.

Something must be wrong with me, been off the whole day, and I only logged in once to check my auctions. Maybe I'll try to "fix the problem" now.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
After dying another 6+ times on the JK end boss I raged quit and uninstalled the game. To add insult to injury last time I died it sent me all the way back to the start.

If I re install it later I'll try a diffrent class maybe or the dark side...

Realyn

Whats the lvl scaling like, do 40-50 take longer than 30-40 and so on? I´m 23 right now with crafting skills at 180/200/100. Fells like im rushing through the game.

I've been looking at lists of companions for each class and none of them have a Jawa listed for the Smuggler. Are they all mistaken or is that true?

Edit:

Smuggler does not get a Jawa. Only the Bounty Hunter.

Ah, it makes sense now. I don't know where I read they got one. Sorry Ramirez. :-(

gatti-man

After dying another 6+ times on the JK end boss I raged quit and uninstalled the game. To add insult to injury last time I died it sent me all the way back to the start.

Dark side bounty hunter is very easy to play and semi op in pve imo.

knitoe

This is what I did to beat him.

Clear the mobs from medical droid to him. Put R2 on passive. Taunt the Emperor, run back to ledge area before it goes down, and wait. It's where medical droid is. Mark sure emperor is target the entire time. Once his adds come close, send R2 to attack. The adds should go after R2. Now, follow your target and get to emperor. Stand so you can push emperor into the middle of spiral stairs. He should die. If he doesn't, means he landed on a lower lvl. He needs to drop to the bottom. If you fail, just repeat.

DodgerSan

Doing the Nar Shadda bonus as a 32 Scoundrel and have hit a wall. Can anyone give any hints against the Sith Apprentices, specifically the Inquisitors? Their lightning just chews me up, and I can't out-dps them. I've tried distraction when they trigger it, but they get it back before the distraction cool down is over.

Other than returning in a couple of levels or grabbing some help I'm stuck.

Im gonna roll a jedi guardian , I was thinking into becoming a "dark" jedi.

Does that effect the main story at all?

The main stories generally play out the same but your alignment/choices will change certain elements on how some things pan out, but it all goes the same direction/conclusion.

Choc

Banned
i get why jedi is what everyone wants to play but seriously the knight is so shit right now that it makes the game painful midgame

meaning you have put a lot of time into it before you see how bad it gets

don't do it!

or if you really want to go look at official forums for JK class and see what people are talking about

Boof

I am having a very strange problem with the movement of my character. I have always used A and D along with holding down right mouse button to strafe around. The problem is that for some odd reason while holding down the right mouse button my character will stop strafing and start keyboard turning in place. It cuts in and out very randomly so during a PVP battle where the use of strafe is crucial I'll find my self turning in place. It happens at the most random times. Any help would be great.

P.S. This isn't related to the Ctrl Modifier problem.

Varna

Im gonna roll a jedi guardian , I was thinking into becoming a "dark" jedi.

Does that effect the main story at all?

If it's anything like being a light side Sith... then no. As I am getting further into the SW story the options went from trying to change the system from the inside to just apologizing before hacking someone up.

Choc

Banned

Clear the mobs from medical droid to him. Put R2 on passive. Taunt the Emperor, run back to ledge area before it goes down, and wait. It's where medical droid is. Mark sure emperor is target the entire time. Once his adds come close, send R2 to attack. The adds should go after R2. Now, follow your target and get to emperor. Stand so you can push emperor into the middle of spiral stairs. He should die. If he doesn't, means he landed on a lower lvl. He needs to drop to the bottom. If you fail, just repeat.

so if you can force push him to finish the fight easily, why the fuck can you not force push Pravis off the fucking cliff and have it count, and make it bug the quest? fuck bioware sort it out. Clearly it should be a viable option.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Already reinstalling

I'll give this a try, every time I pushed him down there he just vanished and and popped back in the main room. Last time I died it sent me back to the space shuttle thats when I went into the rage and unistalled the game.

That boss just really kicks my ass, I swear I had an esier time with Dark Souls and Demon's Soul then this boss.

On a side note, is there a way to make money after you did all the single player quest? Are there like dailys for solo content or am I SOL unless I wanna do PvP or the long group missions?

Dark side bounty hunter is very easy to play and semi op in pve imo.

Yeah was thinking Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter. Didn't have a problem with the JK up till the last fight. Might even stay rep and go trooper, but I do wanna see the empire worlds.

Realyn

Once more, hope someone can help. Playing a Jedi Sage and currently lvl 24 with ~180/200/120 in crafting and I m clearing Taris(lvl 16-20) right now, because I accidently skipped it and went to the 20-24 planet right away.
Question is, I feel like im rushing through planets. Will 30-40, 40-50 and so on take way longer?

Choc

Banned
Once more, hope someone can help. Playing a Jedi Sage and currently lvl 24 with ~180/200/120 and im clearing Taris(lvl 16-20) right now, because I accendently skipped it and went to the 20-24 planet right away.
Question is, I feel like im rushing through planets. Will 30-40, 40-50 and so on take way longer?

yes

Tatooine is ridiculously huge

Its not until you get to Tat till you see how big some of these planets are. Don't even try it without a speeder. (same with alderaan)

Why would you uninstall? The install is fucking HUGE. lol

Realyn

yes

Tatooine is ridiculously huge

Its not until you get to Tat till you see how big some of these planets are. Don't even try it without a speeder. (same with alderaan)

You quoted my bad grammar, I hate you. :(

jk, thanks for info.

gatti-man

Already reinstalling

I'll give this a try, every time I pushed him down there he just vanished and and popped back in the main room. Last time I died it sent me back to the space shuttle thats when I went into the rage and unistalled the game.

That boss just really kicks my ass, I swear I had an esier time with Dark Souls and Demon's Soul then this boss.

On a side note, is there a way to make money after you did all the single player quest? Are there like dailys for solo content or am I SOL unless I wanna do PvP or the long group missions?

Yeah was thinking Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter. Didn't have a problem with the JK up till the last fight. Might even stay rep and go trooper, but I do wanna see the empire worlds.

Im lvl 35 bh and it only gets hard fighting two levels higher than me. The worlds and content are great empire side.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
PVP as DPS Agent totally sucks. Sure i guess its great when you are 50 and can get 80% crit after completely decking yourself out but at level 35 i bring absolutely nothing to a game. My damage is completely mediocre (fuck that.. its total shit.. i am always on the bottom end.. i can hardly 1v1 anyone even someone 20 levels lower). i can go an entire match without getting more than one medal. And if its Huttball i might as well not even bother because i have nothing to add to the match. Being the only class without a sprint, knockback, grab, or leap really limits your options.

Top Bottom