• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Kud Dukan

Well, last night I leveled up a Trooper to level 8, and so far I'm very pleased. Server performance was flawless while I was playing. I know that will change, especially next week when the flood gates open, but still it was great to see it playing well. Loving the Trooper storyline as well, although I'm still in the prologue. I played a Jedi Knight for one of the weekend betas, and was impressed with the storyline, so I'm pleased that the Trooper seems to have a great storyline as well.

Gotta decide soon whether to go Commando or Vanguard when I hit level 10...Commando's having healing capabilities, correct? I don't usually play as a healer, but maybe I'll go down that line for a change.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm... that rig shouldn't be giving you 13 FPS. Did you turn off shadows like Sent mentioned?

Yeah, everything on low. Unless there is stuff outside of the in game performance menu I can do?

You're missing the fact that both your GPU, and to a lesser extent your CPU, are not sufficient to play the game at even the lowest settings at a decent frame-rate.

I tried the beta on my laptop (i5 @ 2.7ghz, radeon 5650) and I couldn't get a steady 25+fps. Looking at performance charts, your GPU sits well below mine, which itself is an 'entry-level' card.

This was my worry. I figured since BW was touting that they were trying to make this PC friendly and I can run WoW on decent settings I would have a shot.

How much have you lowered your settings? How much memory does your 3100M have; Nvidia says it can have 'up to 512mb'. What resolution are you running at?

Settings all on low in the in-game menu. Are there more I can change? My dedicated video memory says 512MB DDR3. Resolution I played around with a bit, but my screen is 1440x900.

Sigfodr

Well my "rig" is my work PC, and it's not exactly a beast in the chipset department. It runs WoW on medium to medium-high though, and meets the SWTOR requirements, so it's odd.

Anyways,
Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU, M560 @ 2.67 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
Win 7, 64 bit
NVIDIA NVS 3100M

Anything I am missing?

Something is wrong there. I'm running it at medium on most settings at 30-40 fps with this set up:
Core 2 duo 1.86 ghs
4 gb ram
Win 7, 64-bit
NVidia 9600GT

BTW, like the avatar

edit: Just looked up your video chipset. Yeah, there's your problem. It's shared memory, unless I'm missing something.

Hixx

Well, last night I leveled up a Trooper to level 8, and so far I'm very pleased. Server performance was flawless while I was playing. I know that will change, especially next week when the flood gates open, but still it was great to see it playing well. Loving the Trooper storyline as well, although I'm still in the prologue. I played a Jedi Knight for one of the weekend betas, and was impressed with the storyline, so I'm pleased that the Trooper seems to have a great storyline as well.

Gotta decide soon whether to go Commando or Vanguard when I hit level 10...Commando's having healing capabilities, correct? I don't usually play as a healer, but maybe I'll go down that line for a change.

Commandos have the healing tree for Troopers, yep.

I'm really pissed off at how slow players are trickling in. Grouping for flashpoints or heroic quests takes ages because the player counts are so low, I think I'm going to have to skip the Esseles.

Yeah, everything on low. Unless there is stuff outside of the in game performance menu I can do?

This was my worry. I figured since BW was touting that they were trying to make this PC friendly and I can run WoW on decent settings I would have a shot.

Settings all on low in the in-game menu. Are there more I can change? My dedicated video memory says 512MB DDR3. Resolution I played around with a bit, but my screen is 1440x900.

It certainly should not be your CPU. I can't imagine the game requires more than a dual core i5 running at that clock speed. I'd have to imagine, your GPU is the problem.

erragal

Your card is a Quaddro line card and isn't very good for gaming at all and TOR is probably stressing areas it just can't keep up with. EDIT: You could try lowering it down to 1024x768 and see if that helps. I'd hope you could manage around 20 FPS at that resolution assuming there isn't something else wrong.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It certainly should not be your CPU. I can't imagine the game requires more than a dual core i5 running at that clock speed. I'd have to imagine, your GPU is the problem.

Your card is a Quaddro line card and isn't very good for gaming at all and TOR is probably stressing areas it just can't keep up with.

Well damn. I knew it was a shot, but I was hoping I could at least pull 30fps. It's playable now, but choppy as hell and drives me nuts. I guess I'll need to figure out how to cancel an Origin pre-order unless you all have any other tricks to try, or there are any hidden options to increase performance. :(

Blitzzz

this guy has the same laptop can can run mw3 smooth enough.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qhyyZKNus

maybe try lowering the res a bit? 13fps sounds awfully low...... are you sure you don't have anything forced on in the nvidia control panel?

bill0527

I wouldn't compare any type of modern game to WoW. WoW is 7 years old. That's like a life time in computer years. The engine WoW was built on is probably more like 8-10 years old. They've made a few graphical improvements over the years, but the game is seriously dated at this point (in terms of graphics, character models). WoW can still be impressive occasionally, but that's accomplished more through its artwork than through any type of technical prowess.

Dakota47

More news about the invites:

Today, we're inviting many more people to play The Old Republic - more than yesterday, and over a much greater time span.

As explained yesterday, our initial pre-order rush was over a very short span (about a week). Today we'll be inviting well beyond July, but again, we're remaining cautious as we send each email wave.

We're currently planning on sending four waves of email invites today of equal size. We're going to get them out as fast as we can, while monitoring player counts and server population. I'll update this thread when each wave is sent. You can also follow our official Twitter account for notification.

Wave One was sent at 8AM CST (6AM PST / 9AM EST / 2PM GMT / 3PM CET).

Mims

If this spread of days continues I should be playing tomorrow by wave 3. Not too bad since I figured it would be Friday or Saturday before it got to me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
this guy has the same laptop can can run mw3 smooth enough.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qhyyZKNus

maybe try lowering the res a bit? 13fps sounds awfully low...... are you sure you don't have anything forced on in the nvidia control panel?

I haven't really changed anything since I got it... Anything I should check? I used the in-game fps counter and it would waver between 10-17 fps, but 13 was generally where it was.

I messed with the resolution last night, it helped a very slight bit, but not very much at all.

How is republic GAF doing? I might hop on for a bit later tonight when I get back from visiting my girlfriend. I expect to get a little more time in tomorrow night and then the next few weeks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, well I went into the NVIDIA control panel and changed the "Adjust Image Settings" for3D applications from "let application decide" to performance. Not sure if that has anything to do with gaming specifically, but we'll see.

StUnNeR H2K

I haven't been following the thread much... can someone who played the Beta fill me in on how the retail build differs in terms of performance/gameplay?

Still unsure whether to get this yet.

Depends on how far you want to go back.

The game ran great for me yesterday. Compared to how the game played back in March this year it's a night/day difference. In March I made it to level 8 on one character and stopped due to constant lag, poor performance and crashing. Now compared to how the game played near the end of the beta it runs much smoother, and over all is well polished. Graphically the game runs great, and even looks better than ever.

I think final real test will be to see how everything handles performance wise once everything is loaded down.

If this spread of days continues I should be playing tomorrow by wave 3. Not too bad since I figured it would be Friday or Saturday before it got to me.

Believe they indicated that by tomorrow everyone should be in eventually to get the full original 5 days of early access. That was my understanding of their intentions.

Woorloog

Banned
I know at least 4 people who would like to join, my brother for one. Dude is maaaad hooked on the game :)

Still waiting for my early access to start but I'm already in the guild. My brother wants in too, so that's two more members.

I gave (Lord)Phol and Darkstar (in-game name, can't remember his GAF name) ability to invite people. You may also /whisper Soh'jin if i'm online, though be patient if you do, i'm having some strange issues with the keyboard in-game so writing /ginvite is slow...

Jarmel

Banned
Can someone explain to me how the melee classes in PVP are supposed to work? I get up close then knocked back and movement reduced while they destroy my health. Unleash is good only once and it seems the ranged classes have much more to work with.

Garryk

Agent is so much fun. The only reason Agents have blasters on their hips is to shoot people in the face to gain Dark Side points.

Can someone explain to me how the melee classes in PVP are supposed to work? I get up close then knocked back and movement reduced while they destroy my health. Unleash is good only once and it seems the ranged classes have much more to work with.

The stun/knockback abilities for the classes are roughly about the same in quantitiy and have high cool downs. The warrior/knight jump attack has a much shorter cooldown. If you get knocked back, that is when you should activate your defense "shield" abilitiy that reduces ranged attacked against you and then dive back into your opponent

What did they change?

You are auto asked to join your group leaders instance, and if you agree it does a short load that puts you in the exact same spot you were standing in the instance the group leader is in. Forming a group everyone loads into the same instance as the group leader now pretty quick.

The stun/knockback abilities for the classes are roughly about the same in quantitiy and have high cool downs. The warrior/knight jump attack has a much shorter cooldown. If you get knocked back, that is when you should activate your defense "shield" abilitiy that reduces ranged attacked against you and then dive back into your opponent

You are auto asked to join your group leaders instance, and if you agree it does a short load that puts you in the exact same spot you were standing in the instance the group leader is in. Forming a group everyone loads into the same instance as the group leader now pretty quick.

Fantastic!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, something is off here. A friend of mine has the exact same laptop, except he has 4GB of RAM to my 8 and a regular HDD compared to my SSD, yet his windows performace rating is higher. Is something screwy on my PC? Only thing I can think of is that I run Win 7 64 bit and he is on 32 bit.

My performance ratings: Overall 4.8
Processor = 6.9
RAM = 6.9
Graphics = 4.8
Gaming Graphics = 5.9
HDD = 7.5

His overall = 4.9
Processor = 6.9
ram 7.1
graphics 4.9
gaming graphics 5.9
hdd 5.9

Maybe I need to tinker with my NVIDIA settings.

EDIT: Is there some 64 bit version of the game that I need to run?

Thoraxes

Alright, something is off here. A friend of mine has the exact same laptop, except he has 4GB of RAM to my 8 and a regular HDD compared to my SSD, yet his windows performace rating is higher. Is something screwy on my PC? Only thing I can think of is that I run Win 7 64 bit and he is on 32 bit.

My performance ratings: Overall 4.8
Processor = 6.9
RAM = 6.9
Graphics = 4.8
Gaming Graphics = 5.9
HDD = 7.5

His overall = 4.9
Processor = 6.9
ram 7.1
graphics 4.9
gaming graphics 5.9
hdd 5.9

Maybe I need to tinker with my NVIDIA settings.

EDIT: Is there some 64 bit version of the game that I need to run?

Overall rating is determined by the lowest subset of scores. Your lowest is 4.8 and his 4.9 (being graphics)

No there's not a 64bit client for the game.
Wave 5 = 7/28 - 8/8?

May creep into Oct if people are lucky.
I guess I may get in today then, but i'm really not counting on it.

So my GF stays over alot at my place. Can she play her account on my copy of the game or are you still restricted to playing your retail copy of the game with your account? She likes to keep up with her guildies and rather not drag her desktop over to my place constantly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Overall rating is determined by the lowest subset of scores. Your lowest is 4.8 and his 4.9 (being graphics)

No there's not a 64bit client for the game.

Yeah, I get that, but we have the exact same graphics card and CPU... Is it the 32 vs 64 bit causing the difference?

So my GF stays over alot at my place. Can she play her account on my copy of the game or are you still restricted to playing your retail copy of the game with your account? She likes to keep up with her guildies and rather not drag her desktop over to my place constantly.

She needs a copy of the game to create a subscription account. You should be able to log in wherever you want.

gyrspike

Neo Member
Heads up for people wanting to know if they are gonna get in today.

Judging from the posts on the SWTOR forums wave 1 and wave 2 today have included people up to 21st/22nd of August. So if you preordered in August or the first couple days of September you should get access today. (If they do a bonus wave more of September should get in as well.)

August 31 is the magic number for me, should barring something weird happening I should be playing today.

Azzurri

I played for like 10 hours straight yesterday, longest I've played a game in years; got to level 14, almost 15.

As for the game play and story I love it! I haven't been this entertained with a game in years, I usually play a game for like an hour or two and get bored, but with this I was enthralled. I guess the mix of MMO which I love and the Single Story really makes this game fun. It's like what will happen next and I gotta see. The game play does sorta play like WoW, same mechanics, but for some reason I find this game way more fun to play then I did with WOW, or a lot of other MMO's. Also, the setting helps a lot since I like Star Wars, and the future setting.

Hari Seldon

Did they add a UI scaling slider by chance? I hated that in beta that when you add another bar it seems like too much of the screen is lost.

You can add another toolbar by hitting the + button on the left side of the toolbar frame, if you haven't done it already.

Hmm, no kidding! Thanks. That'll definitely help, I also wish there was a more customizable UI for that part where I could put abilities anywhere on the screen.

So is anyone having weird artifacting while using AA through the .ini? I enabled it and the game looks much better, but now it seems like a lot of effects are missing. For instance, the saber part of my lightsaber doesn't show up at all. And the lightning from my shock spell also does not show.

Edit: On an ATI 6950, FYI.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is Amazon supposed to be shipping early? My copy still says December 20th.

I believe the post they made, that was copy pasted somewhere a few pages back, stated that they are going to start shipping out the 15th (tomorrow).

Edit: here we go

Because beta access ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 19, 2011, we've decided to ship the game early to customers starting December 15, 2011. We'll be updating orders over the next two days and new estimated delivery times will appear in Your Account shortly after our updates are complete. These changes will be applied to your account automatically and there is no action needed on your part. Please see below for an update to estimated delivery times based on shipment method.

So sometime today you will probably see a change.

Karak

So is anyone having weird artifacting while using AA through the .ini? I enabled it and the game looks much better, but now it seems like a lot of effects are missing. For instance, the saber part of my lightsaber doesn't show up at all. And the lightning from my shock spell also does not show.

Edit: On an ATI 6950, FYI.

You could try smaa for games. As long as your not using an overlay onto the games display (fraps is supposedly ok), this SHOULD work. Should. I have not tested it. Was going to yesterday.

Link
http://www.geeks3d.com/20111202/injectsmaa-add-smaa-support-in-your-dx9-dx10-and-dx11-games/

Top Bottom