• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Tacitus_

Thanks for the tips, I got into this MMO thing pretty late and diving in head first isn't super easy. Your first point is pretty much what I've been doing, and it works out as long as the CCs go well. I don't have a problem calling people on their shit, but since it takes so long to find groups, it just makes it kind of frustrating. I don't want to sound like it's been all negative, I've had some great groups (one in particular while doing Athiss), but man, lately it's been garbage wall-to-wall. I'm having a little bit of difficulty when there are a bunch of elites that are a little more spaced out than I'd like, but I guess that's what CC is for.

I have to imagine it'll get easier at some point, since I'll have my group taunt and sweep instead of having to rely on the single taunt and Smash.

You're looking pretty good from a tanking perspective. I main/offtanked since Burning Crusade and you're catching on pretty quick. Just make some hard rules for pugs and they'll usually fall in line. If they don't, blowing up in the party chat usually makes them obedient >_>

Tanks usually lead the party, so you'll have to mark CC and kill orders etc. Also know that tanks are always needed, but DPS are a bunch in a dozen. Just don't get princess syndrome and you're all good.

Choc

Banned
as someone that didnt like WOW and thus is somewhat new to mmo's Bioware relies WAAAAAAAAY to much on Wow knowledge in this game

so basically if you didnt play wow and have no friends, you are fucked

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
as someone that didnt like WOW and thus is somewhat new to mmo's Bioware relies WAAAAAAAAY to much on Wow knowledge in this game

I would say the exact opposite, I never really played MMO's and am having no trouble with this game, and I am playing it much like I would Kotor 1( which I am replaying at the same time)

And also a friend of mine who barely understands the concept of MMO's is playing it simply because its a sequel to Kotor, he is a pretty casual gamer and is having a blast just soloing through the storyline of his Jedi Knight.

Can you guys actually PVP with the camera's auto follow? I haven't yet. I like looking at female ass, but I need to see enemies when I'm running.

Choc

Banned
I would say the exact opposite, I never really played MMO's and am having no trouble with this game, and I am playing it much like I would Kotor 1( which I am replaying at the same time)

And also a friend of mine who barely understands the concept of MMO's is playing it simply because its a sequel to Kotor, he is a pretty casual gamer and is having a blast just soloing through the storyline of his Jedi Knight.

tell me that when you get to the mid/end game

you need to understand what tanking, dps and healing means in a group content at the high level contnet and FP's

if you have no idea, no one will help you. The companion works big time i agree but seriously given that about level 40 you have 30 or so abilities, and you have to build a rotation for bosses and normal mobs etc

there is zero explanation about that, why a rotation is important, how to manage it and select one that suits you, and how to determine what abilities are the best. clearly its somewhat not difficult to figure out what ability does what, but when to use each of those 30 abilities? thats a bit harder.

your friend will have a blast until about level 30 (i sure did), then the JK gets very difficult and you need to know MMOs very very well to get what to do next in terms of managing rotations etc

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Not at all. Read the tutorials.

Choc

Banned
Not at all. Read the tutorials.

i did. its not enough

i had to do a lot of research on various websites about how things work and get advice on forums etc

bioware could have done a lot more. they do rely on wow knowledge and the mechanics of mmos

not once
not fucking once do the tutorials mention managing rotations

bind "max zoom out" to a key.

My camera is always at max distance in pvp. That doesn't change the need to position the camera where you want and see larger parts of the battle field.

Hold the right mouse down to control the camera and strafe with the keyboard.
How do you hold the right mouse down and also move your mouse to select targets at the same time?

i did. its not enough

i had to do a lot of research on various websites about how things work and get advice on forums etc

bioware could have done a lot more. they do rely on wow knowledge and the mechanics of mmos

not once
not fucking once do the tutorials mention managing rotations
Every MMO is going to require out of game queries. wowhead.com torhead.com

The major things needed to know at low levels is the ability to see quests on your minimap, where you should go, where the trainers and vendors are.

Unlike WoW,right now It's not obvious to me when I can get a mount, pick an advanced classes, professions, where I can PVP, and what dungeons I can do. It's different from wow so playing wow doesn't help here.

Tacitus_

Unlike WoW,right now It's not obvious to me when I can get a mount, pick an advanced classes, professions, where I can PVP, and what dungeons I can do.

... you get a popup for pvp, advanced classes and professions when you reach level 10 and a reminder to start saving for a mount at 20?

How do you hold the right mouse down and also move your mouse to select targets at the same time?

Easily?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just wiped a couple times trying to do Breakthrough on Belsavis. Holy hell, how are you supposed to take down that champion at the end of that? We were all overleveled for that quest (43 - had a 45, 47, 48, and 50) and it wasn't close each time. Didn't have a true healer, but I dunno if that would have made a difference that boss hit so hard...

... you get a popup for pvp, advanced classes and professions when you reach level 10 and a reminder to start saving for a mount at 20?

Easily?
I was about to say, all those things appear as early missions or tutorial missions. Only way to not run into them is to purposely ignore mission markers.

I've been pretty down on the armor stuff on my other toons... but then I got this...

swtor%202012-01-16%2004-33-34-44.jpg

fucking space cop during day, male police officer stripper at night.

Choc

Banned
I'm level 11 and it never mentioned anything about advanced classes or professions. Nor does it let me choose.

There's no talent tree. The trainer does nothing.

no? I don't think you played a MMO with a proper camera.

you need to go to a different trainer on the fleet

I'm level 11 and it never mentioned anything about advanced classes or professions. Nor does it let me choose.

Not directed to you, but I honestly don't understand how people miss the whole advanced class thing. Like the game quite literally holds your hand to the quest for advanced class training.

The next step is either Bioware putting a big arrow over the dude's head saying "TALK TO THIS GUY TO GET YOUR ADVANCED CLASS QUEST" or at level 10 you just automatically get the prompt for advanced class selection provided you finished your class quest on the starter planet.

But to answer your question, once you finish on the starter world, your master/boss/person in charge will be like "blah blah blah, the galaxy, blah blah blah go to next planet, blah blah blah, but first go to fleet."

You'll run to the shuttle, and go to fleet (because it won't let you go anywhere else.) You'll pick up the quest for Black Talon/Esseless then run to the elevator to the main level of fleet. As soon as you get off, literally like 20 steps in front of you you'll see a quest giver...this person is the guy who gives you your quest for advanced class. Talk to this guy, he'll be like "blah blah blah, you lack training, blah blah blah, you gotta pick a path blah blah blah, see the trainer in the combat area of fleet." You'll run to the combat skill area, talk to the next quest guy in the appropriate class based room. He'll be like "blah blah blah, you made it this far, blah blah, pick your advance class, blah blah blah, you only get one choice." You pick your advanced class and done. Once that is finished open your bags up you'll see a new item in your bag which is...a bag. Open this bag, congrats you have completed the ridiculously simple and straight forward process of picking your advanced class.

If none of this has happened for you, then chances are very high you haven't finished your class quest on the starter world. Just being level 10 does not allow you to pick your advanced class, you have to be level 10 AND must be sent to fleet by completing your class quest.

Tacitus_

no? I don't think you played a MMO with a proper camera.

When you get the quest to go to the fleet, you get a quest from a terminal to go get your advance class and professions (and a popup at level 10 to tell you to get them). It is not the games fault if you ignore them.

I don't know what constitutes as a propre MMO camera, but controlling the camera with a right mouse while strafing with the keyboard is quite easy. Just keep in mind where your cursor would be, release the right button, click on a target and continue holding the right button.

you need to go to a different trainer on the fleet
The official website says level 10. 3rd party info says level 10 when you leave the starter world.

When does the tutorial pop up? At level 10 or when you leave the world?

I still have quests on the starter world past level 10 and I haven't grinded mobs at all. It's not obvious at all to leave and come back.

Starting zones (or worlds) should give you access to everything you need.

Tacitus_

The official website says level 10. 3rd party info says level 10 when you leave the starter world.

When does the tutorial pop up? At level 10 or when you leave the world?

I still have quests on the starter world past level 10 and I haven't grinded mobs at all. It's not obvious at all to leave and come back.

Starting zones (or worlds) should give you access to everything you need.

When you're done with the starter world, the game gives you a quest "HEY YOU NEWBIE, GO TO THE FLEET!" That means you should leave for the fleet and continue to the next planet. I really can't see a way making it more obvious.

Lain

Any operative has problems with backstab from time to time?
I happen to have backstab not working for me from time to time. I'm behind the target, the backstab button is usable, I hit it and I get told I need to be behind the target... so I have to strafe left and right behind the mob until I hit the position the game consider legit to finally have backstab actually work.
It's really starting to piss me off.

Also, I hate group aggro. Doing Flashpoints, it's almost impossible to scavenge dead droids with fast pulls because as soon as a fight ends a new one starts and it's basically like being constantly in fight mode. Why do I have to be in fight mode if I didn't start a fight and I'm not even in aggro range to the monster?!

Every MMO is going to require out of game queries. wowhead.com torhead.com

The major things needed to know at low levels is the ability to see quests on your minimap, where you should go, where the trainers and vendors are.

Unlike WoW,right now It's not obvious to me when I can get a mount, pick an advanced classes, professions, where I can PVP, and what dungeons I can do. It's different from wow so playing wow doesn't help here.

Yes, playing WoW or other MMO (which are based on WoW anyway) helps a ton. The tutorials are not straighforward, some design concept are downright broken (buying items in bulk WTF is this shit). I played WoW for a long time, and majority of the game is similar. I like the differences enough to stick with SWTOR, not WoW.

Other than that my Commando reached Lvl 28, on Tatooine now, having a blast. Yesterday I quested the whole Nar Shaddaa with 2 friends, was great.

Tacitus_

Any operative has problems with backstab from time to time?
I happen to have backstab not working for me from time to time. I'm behind the target, the backstab button is usable, I hit it and I get told I need to be behind the target... so I have to strafe left and right behind the mob until I hit the position the game consider legit to finally have backstab actually work.
It's really starting to piss me off.

Also, I hate group aggro. Doing Flashpoints, it's almost impossible to scavenge dead droids with fast pulls because as soon as a fight ends a new one starts and it's basically like being constantly in fight mode. Why do I have to be in fight mode if I didn't start a fight and I'm not even in aggro range to the monster?!

Yeah, the first issue happens when the server and client disagree on either your or the mobs position. Unfortunate, but it happens with games like these.

The second is to fix a clever use of game mechanics (or exploit). Back in vanilla WoW, you could pull a boss and it wouldn't pulse the whole zone to combat mode. This lead to hilarity like people keeping out of combat on purpose to resurrect (an out of combat only skill) dead party members.

When you're done with the starter world, the game gives you a quest "HEY YOU NEWBIE, GO TO THE FLEET!" That means you should leave for the fleet and continue to the next planet. I really can't see a way making it more obvious.
Maybe a breadcrumb when you get your last ability you can get on the starter planet from the trainer?

http://www.torhead.com/mission/dEw4KDr/advanced-training-inquisitor#comments
Comment on the Advanced Training quest:
There is no breadcrumb to led you here, and the Quest Giver is NOT in the Training sector!

Leaving Korriban has nothing to do with Advanced Classes:
http://www.torhead.com/mission/coQD0Tu/leaving-korriban#rewards
Your new master, Darth Baras, must report your progress to the Emperor. He has commanded you to take a shuttle offworld and meet him on Dromund Kaas.

So, I'm playing an alt assassin tank, but I just don't think I have the patience to be a tank. I was doing Mandalorian Raiders and this marauder is going around force charging everything before I get initial aggro, breaking CC, not focusing down targets, and just generally making mine and the healer's job harder than it should be. I told him the whole point of CC is to leave that target alone and kill it last and you focus targets so the mobs go down quicker so there is less damage. At the end of the dungeon he tells me I'm taking the game too seriously. I told him he sucks at this game.

People wonder why there's such a tank shortage in these games. It's because it feels like people are going out of their way to grief you while you're tanking.

bjb

Banned

Uh, as soon as you get to either Fleet (Republic or Imperial) you'll have dialogue for everything you listed.

This game is like a carbon-copy of WoW, not sure what you're playing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Maybe a breadcrumb when you get your last ability you can get on the starter planet from the trainer?

When you get on to Fleet, there are 2 initial quest givers you see right away. One of them tells you to get your advanced training.

When you get on to Fleet, there are 2 initial quest givers you see right away. One of them tells you to get your advanced training.
Yes I understand.

Looking on the forums it says you have to beat the starting area and unlock the ability to leave.

That's not necessarily at level 10.

The official website saying "level 10" and people on forums saying that is bad.
http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes

It was apparently changed after the beta. People apparently were able to leave early.

You're the one who can't even find where to go. Leaving Korriban has everything to do with your Advanced Class, read the entire thing you quoted

Your new master, Darth Baras, must report your progress to the Emperor. He has commanded you to take a shuttle offworld and meet him on Dromund Kaas.

Head to the shuttle pad outside the Academy and take a shuttle to the Imperial Fleet.

The bolded is very important, because if you don't get the quest from Baras then you don't get the quest to talk to the guys to get your advanced class. The first guy you talk to when you get off the elevator to get your advanced class even says (I'm paraphrasing) "Ah yes, Lord Baras told us you were coming, on your way to Dromund Kass are you? Stop by <insert name> to further your skills with the lightsaber, you can go two routes <explains them>; [player dialog choice]; <explains them in detail>. You now have the quest to talk to the actual Advanced class trainer. When you are on Korriban, try to get on the Shuttle and click Dromund Kass...it's not taking you there, you have no choice but to either stay on Korriban or take the shuttle to Fleet.

Trust me, I have my advanced class ;) I've left my starter world without doing my class quest and I'm telling you because I know; I've played through beta. Leaving before 10 was not intended, hence Bioware increasing XP so that when you left your starter world you were level 10 and wouldn't be in general spamming "I AM LOSTZ, CAN'T FIND ADV. CLASS TRAINER!! FML!!! GAME SUCKS BRO!" (Since the quest isn't available until you are level 10. Don't believe me? Make a new toon and do the bare minimum quests and get to Baras and off the world at level 9...you won't be able to talk to the NPCs.)

Personally I'm all for Bioware just having advanced class pop up when someone hits level 10 and finishes their class quest with huge flashing warning that it's a one time choice (because the amount of idiots who bitch in general about changing their AC is hilarious).

You're the one who can't even find where to go. Leaving Korriban has everything to do with your Advanced Class, read the entire thing you quoted

Head to the shuttle pad outside the Academy and take a shuttle to the Imperial Fleet.
Where in that text does it mention anything about advanced classes?

Leaving a planet obviously involves a shuttle...

Might as well link every quest in the Starting Area.

My point in #12235 still stands. Don't tell people level 10 when you really have the beat the starting area to get it.

Tacitus_

When you get off the shuttle and ride the elevator down, there's a dude with a quest who says you should check up with the class trainers for your training. It. Is. Not. Hard.

When you get off the shuttle and ride the elevator down, there's a dude with a quest who says you should check up with the class trainers for your training. It. Is. Not. Hard.
This was already established 10+ posts ago.

It's not obvious to someone at level 11 who ISN'T able to leave yet when the website and forums just say level 10.

Dina

You don't understand my point.

Your point is wanting to be hand-held through the most obvious of directions. Angelus Errare explained it in so much detail that anyone could do it, yet you're still here bickering about 'misunderstandings'.

It's not obvious to someone at level 11 who ISN'T able to leave yet when the website and forums just say level 10.

Are you really this fucking rigid when it comes to INSTRUCTIONS in the mail? Do you follow everything to the letter, but when the instructions don't follow reality 100% you drop it all to decide what the next best course of action is?

My point in #12235 still stands. Don't tell people level 10 when you really have the beat the starting area to get it.

Are you actually going to take our damn advice or are you going to keep fucking arguing over something small and borderline pointless? Fuckin shit man, I'm telling you how to get your damn advanced class that you can't figure out.

If you want to scour the bowels of the internet for something in writing from some official source before you commit to getting your advanced class, be my guest. Or you can listen to all of us on this damn forum who have their advanced class and are well beyond that and just do what we say and pretend that we're right? Because you looking around for some kind of proof that your right doesn't change how the game works.

Stop arguing with us and listen; less you be advanced classless for your duration of the game.

Also your point is dumb and worthless, IF YOU LEAVE THE PLANET AT LEVEL 9 EVEN AFTER THE CLASS QUEST, YOU CAN'T PICK YOUR ADVANCED CLASS BECAUSE THE QUEST ISN'T AVAILABLE UNTIL YOU'RE LEVEL 10. SO NO YOUR POINT IS WRONG, BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE TO BE LEVEL 10. WHICH IS WHY ON THE WEBSITE IS SAYS WAIT FOR IT....LEVEL 10

Your choice

asshole mode: [on] off

bjb

Banned

Actually your point is woefully wrong (still). No one where on that page does it specifically state you'll chose an advanced classes at level 10.

You made an inaccurate assumption based on some stupid graphic.

If you're continuing to have this much trouble already, I cringe at the thought of hearing about your end-game travels.

Bioware can only hold your hand so much.

Are you actually going to take our damn advice or are you going to keep fucking arguing over something small and borderline pointless? Fuckin shit man, I'm telling you how to get your damn advanced class that you can't figure out.

If you want to scour the bowels of the internet for something in writing from some official source before you commit to getting your advanced class, be my guest. Or you can listen to all of us on this damn forum who have their advanced class and are well beyond that and just do what we say and pretend that we're right? Because you looking around for some kind of proof that your right doesn't change how the game works.

Stop arguing with us and listen; less you be advanced classless for your duration of the game.

Also your point is dumb and worthless, IF YOU LEAVE THE PLANET AT LEVEL 9 EVEN AFTER THE CLASS QUEST, YOU CAN'T PICK YOUR ADVANCED CLASS BECAUSE THE QUEST ISN'T AVAILABLE UNTIL YOU'RE LEVEL 10. SO NO YOUR POINT IS WRONG, BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE TO BE LEVEL 10. WHICH IS WHY ON THE WEBSITE IS SAYS WAIT FOR IT....LEVEL 10

Your choice

asshole mode: [on] off
lol, not it's not dumb and worthless.

You guys and the website said "level 10".

The correct thing to say is "level 10 after you leave the starting planet."

That is a if then statement that includes all scenarios.

A pre-req is not the same as informing you when you can get them. Everything from level 1 to leaving is a pre-req.

And you cannot leave early anymore.

Choc

Banned
wait when did they patch out leaving early?

i levelled my alt very quickly going to the fleet asap and hitting those crew skills guys to get mega XP quickly

and that was last week.....

and with many classes its easy to finish the opening planet before level 10, i've seen many level 9s on the fleet and i finished the opening planet with my IA at level 9

A pre-req is not the same as informing you when you can get them. Everything from level 1 to leaving is a pre-req.

People are sounding a bit cranky because you are complaining about something that 99% of players manage to do with no research or issue.

Tacitus_

I'm fairly sure you can leave early still. One gaffer got his bank alt to the fleet and managed to get stuck on the wrong starter planet after wanting to go back.

bjb

Banned
I'm not so sure about that. Around launch the advanced class questions popped up all the time on the fleet.

I had early access and have been level 50 for three weeks now on a high-pop server.

Never I have seen someone ask about Advanced Classes, let alone complain and become so baffled by the route to acquire one.

rockx4

I had early access and have been level 50 for three weeks now on a high-pop server.

Never I have seen someone ask about Advanced Classes, let alone complain and become so baffled by the route to acquire one.

Actually I see people asking sometimes... even on Coruscant. I even grouped with a level 15 smuggler during a quest.

Dina

And you cannot leave early anymore.

So apparently I'm right and you cannon function properly without instructions being 100% right. No exceptions. No possibilities of using your own brain.

Have fun with that.

Top Bottom