• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

You should get it after you finish act 1. Thats what it was for me. Went to Tat, then Alderaan, did some class quests and then sent back to Nar Shadda where near the space port a quest giver starts the bonus series. You are not given the bonus series by anyone, you got to pick it up from quest giver when you go back there.

Wow, bizarre. I had this un-abandonable quest in my log that I was working on clearing in Nar Shaddaa even though I'm past the level range for the zone. It was NOT the bonus quest line though, it was something about escaped prisoners in Shadow Town, and one of the parts you had to get 3 access key cards and then you rescue this republic guy who got captured and turned into Sith. Anyway, after finishing that questline, even though I'm exactly the same level as before, there is now an NPC in Spaceport that gives me the Bonus Series quest. Also note that I'm still on Act 1.

I was just complaining about why in the world that quest was not abandonable. I guess that explains it.

surprised people are complaining about how to get AC. Isn't the first quest dude you see at the fleet out of the transport that or is that the first fp. But it is one of the first few guys.

Quadratic

This is a fun MMO, but as I near 50 I'm thinking I'm going to quit before it starts billing me. I have a ton of backlog on my consoles. I might return in a few months to play a Republic class. The storyline for Imperial Agent was really engrossing. If it only takes a month to reach endgame I'll just play this MMO as KOTOR3. I think I wasted a lot of time in PUG's and trying to craft and get gear.

FLEABttn

Banned
Depending on how much they open up the UI for modding, it could happen as a mod. I remember fond times playing Texas Hold'em during Burning Crusade on raid downtimes...

Peggle and Bejeweled were the only ways you could get me to PvP back in TBC.

Pazaak could be a good credit sink though while engaging the community as an official part of the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When would you guys say the IA story line starts to get good? I just got to Tatooine and while it's been kinda cool so far it definitely hasn't been as good as I was expecting. Still fun though.
You're near the end of Chapter 1. It'll get really interesting soon.

You should get it after you finish act 1. Thats what it was for me. Went to Tat, then Alderaan, did some class quests and then sent back to Nar Shadda where near the space port a quest giver starts the bonus series. You are not given the bonus series by anyone, you got to pick it up from quest giver when you go back there.
It's not related to Act or anything, just level - if you're too low a level, it won't pop up. If you end Nar Shaddaa at like 27-28 or so you'll be able to get the bonus series (level 31). Same deal with some of the other planets (Alderaan and Hoth come to mind, and Belsavis bonus series is level 50).

Probably a very stupid question... how do you get numbers on healthbars? In the preferences>UI I can't find anything that pertains to that yet I see screenshots and streams of people playing it with numbers on their healthbars/party healthbars.

You're near the end of Chapter 1. It'll get really interesting soon.

It's not related to Act or anything, just level - if you're too low a level, it won't pop up. If you end Nar Shaddaa at like 27-28 or so you'll be able to get the bonus series (level 31). Same deal with some of the other planets (Alderaan and Hoth come to mind, and Belsavis bonus series is level 50).

Here's the thing though: I was level 28 and it would not show up. I finished this seemingly unrelated questline, and it showed up, even though I was still level 28 after finishing the questline.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Not sure if this was posted: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332031/interviews/star-wars-old-republic-11-weve-already-got-people-working-on-content-for-2013/

Some update 1.2 info:

- New end game planet is called Denova which will have a new Operation and a new warzone
- Will include the full Legacy system
- Legacy system will allow you designate alts as siblings, friends, spouses etc
- Legacy system will give you bonus skills and perks
- They already have some content being worked on for 2013, some is even playable though no voice yet

More at the link.

As for end game content, I'm probably in the minority but since I'm not a big raider I'm hoping to see a lot of "fluff" content added. Pazaak and gambling has been mentioned but I would love to see stuff like ship decorations. Going further I would love to be able to build custom ships and have them paintable, upgradable and decoratable (I think I made that word up). They have the right the right idea with datacrons (I refuse to use guides for them, I want to take the time to find them myself, that's half the fun), I would like to see more "treasure hunt" stuff like that added. SWG had some great ideas with collections, items that you could get as random drops that would give you a nice item or decoration once you got the whole set. Add rare crafting items etc. Give people a reason to do FPs and Ops besides gear grinding.

Derrick01

Banned
Decided to cancel my subscription for now, still have 12 days left or so on my free month. I haven't decided yet if I want to resubscribe, I wanted to play different stories but I'm having a hard time going through the same planets and quests I just did. I might just wait a couple of months until more content patches are out.

frequency

Decided to cancel my subscription for now, still have 12 days left or so on my free month. I haven't decided yet if I want to resubscribe, I wanted to play different stories but I'm having a hard time going through the same planets and quests I just did. I might just wait a couple of months until more content patches are out.

I'm not sure if I'll cancel but as a person with many alts, I also have a hard time going through the same planets and quests.

The planets here are kind of dull and boring. The class story stuff is great, but all the filler quests are really getting to me. I never skip dialog in games. But I'm spacebar-ing through them now. But even then, the planets themselves aren't particularly interesting to me.

It would have been great if there were multiple paths to 50. Even a choice between 2 zones would help a lot.

Another thing that bothers me is that most planets are designed like corridors. Even when it's outdoors, you're walking down a hall with cliffs/debris/whatever on the sides. Of course, there are a few open areas, but I feel I'm running down corridors more often than not. The reason this bothers me so much is that on alts, I kind of want to just rush through and see the class story. But with this design, and the mounts that explode if the wind blows a little too hard, I'm forced to fight trash group after trash group after trash group and AGH. It drives me crazy sometimes.
Would be less of an issue if I enjoyed the combat system more. But I've already whined and moaned and complained about my problems with the combat system, so I won't go into it again.

Emitan

Once you reach 50 all your characters should start on Tat. It's so breathtaking.

I started exploring the Imp parts of Tat, but it's annoying I can't use my speeder near towns because I aggro the guards :(

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm not sure if I'll cancel but as a person with many alts, I also have a hard time going through the same planets and quests.

The planets here are kind of dull and boring. The class story stuff is great, but all the filler quests are really getting to me. I never skip dialog in games. But I'm spacebar-ing through them now. But even then, the planets themselves aren't particularly interesting to me.

It would have been great if there were multiple paths to 50. Even a choice between 2 zones would help a lot.

I'm not sure how that's possible based on my first play through. I've ended up skipping half of every planet since Taris (on the Republic side) since there were so many quests that I was getting WAY overlevelled and I haven't done any space or PVP to pad my XP. The only thing I do is generally complete every bonus objectives so maybe that's what is giving me extra XP? I just reached Quesh at level 37 which is exactly the right level and I still have half of Balmorra unfinished.

So for my first Republic alt I'll still have so much content I haven't even seen. On top of that the whole Imperial side.

A question for any healer, is it viable to level in healing spec and use an offensive companion? I am almost level 30 as a mercenary but the talent tree is terrible. I am 4 tiers up the middle damage tree and the majority of the talents are pointless for leveling or even end game pve. Perhaps I chose the wrong tree... Could be fun to heal your companion though as long as they do damage.

I'm not sure how that's possible based on my first play through. I've ended up skipping half of every planet since Taris (on the Republic side) since there were so many quests that I was getting WAY overlevelled and I haven't done any space or PVP to pad my XP. The only thing I do is generally complete every bonus objectives so maybe that's what is giving me extra XP? I just reached Quesh at level 37 which is exactly the right level and I still have half of Balmorra unfinished.

So for my first Republic alt I'll still have so much content I haven't even seen. On top of that the whole Imperial side.

Yup I've split my time between my main Rep and Empire characters to keep things fresh, but I have also left lot of content and parts of the world maps left unexplored as I level which I will be going to with my alts for something fresh. Also by the time I get to level up more alts some new content should be out also so I should be good for some time.

Moaradin

A question for any healer, is it viable to level in healing spec and use an offensive companion? I am almost level 30 as a mercenary but the talent tree is terrible. I am 4 tiers up the middle damage tree and the majority of the talents are pointless for leveling or even end game pve. Perhaps I chose the wrong tree... Could be fun to heal your companion though as long as they do damage.

Yea, easily.

no you won't

you will get to the final fight realise you can only take t7, realise you haven't geared him up and get absolutely FLOORED by it. Smash your controller go to swtor forums and whinge

Beat him, but I ended up having to cheese him on my 5th try.
I ran to the spiral staircase and pushed him down it a few times, lol.

Darklord

Banned
I don't get companion loot. The guy uses melee only. He is CLEARLY a tank yet all his specific gear has bloody Aim and other crap for a Bounty Hunter. He has nearly no strength and he's a tank. wtf?

frequency

I don't understand what you think is not possible? To be bored of the planets?

I'm not very good at explaining myself, but I'll try my best:
I don't generally skip quests (besides Heroics and FPs I can't find groups for).

But even if I did, I would feel the way I do now. The dialog, which for most filler quests is pointless, is just one part of it. The larger part of it is the environments themselves. I need a change of scenery. Seeing the same enemies and same locales, which are boring in the first place (I'm not a Star Wars fan) is a bummer. The aesthetic is just... dull.

It's not really about the amount of content or whatever. Am I making myself clear? I'm not sure how else to say it.

I don't want to come off as being too negative on the game. I still like it.

frequency

Who?

BHs have Melee abilities.

The Consular companion Qyzen Fess uses Aim as his main stat. But he's melee.
I hear he was supposed to be a ranged class, but they changed him to melee and never changed his main stat.

He's easy enough to gear with Trooper gear, but his weapon is really hard to upgrade. You need to find a Vibroblade with Aim for him...

Skadge. All his character specific gear is more for a regular BH, not a melee tank.

Interesting. Looks like Empire side has a companion like that too... Maybe it's intentional then, and not a left over thing.

Blitzzz

I don't want to live in this galaxy anymore

what is that post for people at work that can't see?

I don't get companion loot. The guy uses melee only. He is CLEARLY a tank yet all his specific gear has bloody Aim and other crap for a Bounty Hunter. He has nearly no strength and he's a tank. wtf?

like Qyzen? not sure what the deal is with him. Akaavi for smugglers also uses aim even though she uses a staff? Doesn't make much sense

Wallach

Companions are essentially hybrid classes rather than any class a player has access to, which can include aspects from classes on the opposite faction. I suppose it is to distinguish them further from player characters and make it more likely someone in a group can make use of dropped loot.

StudioTan

I don't understand what you think is not possible? To be bored of the planets?

I'm not very good at explaining myself, but I'll try my best:
I don't generally skip quests (besides Heroics and FPs I can't find groups for).

But even if I did, I would feel the way I do now. The dialog, which for most filler quests is pointless, is just one part of it. The larger part of it is the environments themselves. I need a change of scenery. Seeing the same enemies and same locales, which are boring in the first place (I'm not a Star Wars fan) is a bummer. The aesthetic is just... dull.

It's not really about the amount of content or whatever. Am I making myself clear? I'm not sure how else to say it.

I don't want to come off as being too negative on the game. I still like it.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was specifically saying I didn't see how it was possible you were having to do all the same quests for each alt which is what I thought you were mostly saying.

Having said that I still feel my point stands in some respects because I feel like I barely spent any time on some planets like Tattooine at all. And I loved the look of that planet. I was just so tired of the fights being easy because I was over leveled that I just decided to skip most of that planet (and others) and explore it later on an alt. So there a few planets I wanted to spend more time on but I made myself leave and therefore I'm not dreading having to go there again later.

It'll change though over time. I went through this with a game like AoC where leveling for certain races was very linear but eventually they added more mid-range zones so that you had choices on where you wanted to quest. I'm not sure how this would work in regards to your personally story but I'm sure they would just make it so that even if just did your class story on one planet you could skip all the rest of the quests there and do the rest of your leveling for that section on another planet altogether.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Consular companion Qyzen Fess uses Aim as his main stat. But he's melee.
I hear he was supposed to be a ranged class, but they changed him to melee and never changed his main stat.

He's easy enough to gear with Trooper gear, but his weapon is really hard to upgrade. You need to find a Vibroblade with Aim for him...

Interesting. Looks like Empire side has a companion like that too... Maybe it's intentional then, and not a left over thing.

Well just because it's called "Aim" doesn't mean it doesn't do anything for him. Inqusitor Assassins use Willpower and it increases their melee and force abilities.

It's just for ease of use, apparently the problem is finding a "techblade" for him to use. They have aim on them.

frequency

Ah, that makes more sense. I was specifically saying I didn't see how it was possible you were having to do all the same quests for each alt which is what I thought you were mostly saying.

Having said that I still feel my point stands in some respects because I feel like I barely spent any time on some planets like Tattooine at all. And I loved the look of that planet. I was just so tired of the fights being easy because I was over leveled that I just decided to skip most of that planet (and others) and explore it later on an alt. So there a few planets I wanted to spend more time on but I made myself leave and therefore I'm not dreading having to go there again later.

It'll change though over time. I went through this with a game like AoC where leveling for certain races was very linear but eventually they added more mid-range zones so that you had choices on where you wanted to quest. I'm not sure how this would work in regards to your personally story but I'm sure they would just make it so that even if just did your class story on one planet you could skip all the rest of the quests there and do the rest of your leveling for that section on another planet altogether.

Your point definitely still stands.
This is an opinion thing, so no one's view is invalid. Just because I'm bored of the planets and don't like the aesthetics doesn't mean everyone else has to be too.

If they added other planets in the same level range, I would go level on them just for a change of scenery. Even if I have to go back to the other planet to do my class story quest. It's not like I'm in a rush or looking for "optimal leveling". I just like to enjoy MMO worlds. So I really do hope they add more leveling planets in a future patch or expansion. Exploring and seeing new fantastical locales is half the fun.

Well just because it's called "Aim" doesn't mean it doesn't do anything for him. Inqusitor Assassins use Willpower and it increases their melee and force abilities.

It's just for ease of use, apparently the problem is finding a "techblade" for him to use. They have aim on them.

Yes, I know Aim benefits him even if he's melee. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear with that.
It's just weird for gearing purposes (weapons). Techblade, Vibroblade, whatever. They seem to be mainly Strength weapons. The only ones with Aim I've found are from quests that specifically let you choose a weapon for your companions, but those are rare.

Darklord

Banned
So I decided to go to the official forums for some help and clarification on a few things. Big mistake. It's like Mos Eisley. A retched hive of scum and villainy.

StudioTan

Your point definitely still stands.
This is an opinion thing, so no one's view is invalid. Just because I'm bored of the planets and don't like the aesthetics doesn't mean everyone else has to be too.

If they added other planets in the same level range, I would go level on them just for a change of scenery. Even if I have to go back to the other planet to do my class story quest. It's not like I'm in a rush or looking for "optimal leveling". I just like to enjoy MMO worlds. So I really do hope they add more leveling planets in a future patch or expansion. Exploring and seeing new fantastical locales is half the fun.

Yup, I agree and I totally see where you're coming from. One of my biggest gripes with the game is that the worlds and all the parts of them we visit currently feel like they only exist for the sake of the quests within them instead of feeling like places. I can look past it (for now) but maybe that's what you're feeling as well only it's bothering you more?

I would love to see a wilderness planet at some point where there are less quests and you can just hunt and explore. I want to feel like I'm out in the wild on some huge planet and not always within 20 feet of a quest mob.

Again though, the game is a lot of fun and I can enjoy it for what it is but hopefully we see some of that in the future.

Izayoi

Banned
Main stats don't work like that. Aim increases his tanking abilities. It's all based off of classes.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If you are having trouble finding gear (weapons with a certain stat thats hard to find) for certain companions the easiest way to remedy things is to get an orange weapon and tune it to what you need with mods. Purple hilts/barrels are relatively cheap and so much more powerful than a green/blue of the same level its not even funny.

TheYanger

All of the trooper companions use aim, you should basically only expect to upgrade any 'melee' companions with their class specific weapons from quests. essentially always true. There's a repeatable daily at 50 that gives them good high end weapons, but only your 'pistol/rifle/etc' types will ever have REALLY good weapons, dumb isn't it?

I like how Jorgan, the first trooper buddy, uses cannons even though he's a sniper. He used sniper rifles at some point in beta but then they realized sniper rifles only exist as random drops for republic, so they gave him cannons. It doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Wallach

I like how Jorgan, the first trooper buddy, uses cannons even though he's a sniper. He used sniper rifles at some point in beta but then they realized sniper rifles only exist as random drops for republic, so they gave him cannons. It doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I'm not sure that is the reason, because Smugglers still have a companion that uses sniper rifles.

frequency

If you are having trouble finding gear for a certain companion the easiest way to remedy things is to get an orange weapon and tune it to what you need with mods. Purple hilts/barrels are relatively cheap and so much more powerful than a green/blue of the same level its not even funny.

Are there even any orange weapons that our characters can't use?
Like orange technblades for Qyzen or vibroblades for Bowdaar?

The characters that use standard weapons are easy enough to gear with hand-me-downs.

Top Bottom