• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

LowParry

Seems some people in my guild are already getting bored of the game. Though I believe it's more of MMO fatigue than anything. Most of them are just coming right off from WoW so I get why they're bored currently. Same shit, different day really.

Anywho, I started up my Sith Warrior and moved it up to lvl 9 so I can sit on rested exp on the fleet while I decide if I want to go dps Juggernaut or Marauder. I'll figure it out later. I still need to finish up my Sniper. Sitting at 42 with it.

bjb

Banned
Seems some people in my guild are already getting bored of the game. Though I believe it's more of MMO fatigue than anything. Most of them are just coming right off from WoW so I get why they're bored currently. Same shit, different day really.

Anywho, I started up my Sith Warrior and moved it up to lvl 9 so I can sit on rested exp on the fleet while I decide if I want to go dps Juggernaut or Marauder. I'll figure it out later. I still need to finish up my Sniper. Sitting at 42 with it.

The end-game is dreadful right now. We'll see what happens after 1.1, but right now the past two weeks I've done nothing but:

- Dailies
- Trade Capture Points in Ilum
- Valor Grind (Getting screwed by RNG)
- Hard & Nightmare Mode Operations (Half of the encounters are over-tuned or bugged).
- Stand in the fleet and hold my dick.

So pretty much WoW, minus the nostalgia feeling or having fun.

TheYanger

The end-game is dreadful right now. We'll see what happens after 1.1, but right now the past two weeks I've done nothing but:

- Dailies
- Hard & Nightmare Mode Operations (Half of the encounters are over-tuned or bugged).

overtuned or bugged? it's all been killed. I haven't done them so I'm just curious. I'm not surprised either way of course.

lol, not it's not dumb and worthless.

You guys and the website said "level 10".

The correct thing to say is "level 10 after you leave the starting planet."

That is a if then statement that includes all scenarios.

A pre-req is not the same as informing you when you can get them. Everything from level 1 to leaving is a pre-req.

And you cannot leave early anymore.

Which is what I fucking said! I STILL don't know wtf you're even arguing about. Hell do you even know what you're arguing about?

Myself said:
Just being level 10 does not allow you to pick your advanced class, you have to be level 10 AND must be sent to fleet by completing your class quest.

I mean did you just skip everything I said so that you can continue on your very stupid crusade? Fuck man, stop arguing and listen. If you struggle with this, I don't think this is the game for you; I'm shocked you didn't get confused on the dialog wheel.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

- Dailies

Pretty much WoW? Pretty much all MMOs I think you mean. What made you think anything else and what makes you think any other game isn't the same?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I am absolutely amazed they let that UI out in its current form. I have too many abilities to store on two rows of hotbars... adding one either side of the screen doesn't help. Did nobody bring this up during beta?

Kind of rhetorical and pointless bitching at this point but it still blows my mind that this could happen in a modern vidja.

Dunlop

You found doing this fun in WOW?!?!

I mean it WAS awesome running around the canals in Stormwind trying to snag 8 crabs with 40 other people doing the the same thing

or those fucking sugar sacks that were on some 30 minute respawn timer

I'm not sure what people who rushed to finish were expecting a the end game of a new MMO and has there been any other MMO in history that has been able to adress this?

I am absolutely amazed they let that UI out in its current form. I have too many abilities to store on two rows of hotbars... adding one either side of the screen doesn't help. Did nobody bring this up during beta?

Kind of rhetorical and pointless bitching at this point but it still blows my mind that this could happen in a modern vidja.

This however I agree with 100%, even without addons games like Rift showed the default UI doesn't need to be a steaming pile of shit

Blitzzz

what the shit is going on in here? some posts look like fucking swtor forums

to the guy that was talking about rotations: did you really learn about rotations IN GAME in WoW? seriously? from what I remember, they also threw a bunch of abilities at you and you picked which ones worked. Maybe I'm forgetting but I don't think there was a street fighter type combo practice tutorial mode where you follow along for rotations.

Yeah I'm not sure who OK'ed the UI or its features but hopefully that person came to his sense. It's pretty damn bad in all cases, proc indicators are non-existant (thank god IA laugh when they get a TA proc). UI's scale is too big, GCD animation sucks compared to the old clockwise animation they use to have, etc, etc.

Bioware stated they had a team dedicated to fixing the UI so hopefully something comes of it soonish.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yeah I'm not sure who OK'ed the UI or its features but hopefully that person came to his sense. It's pretty damn bad in all cases, proc indicators are non-existant (thank god IA laugh when they get a TA proc). UI's scale is too big, GCD animation sucks compared to the old clockwise animation they use to have, etc, etc.

Bioware stated they had a team dedicated to fixing the UI so hopefully something comes of it soonish.

I really hope so. It's the only intolerable thing about the game for me presently (still about mid-level and don't PvP...).

Also, I take it Legacy is not making it into patch 1.1?

Pretty much WoW? Pretty much all MMOs I think you mean. What made you think anything else and what makes you think any other game isn't the same?

Only games without end game boredom/issues are user run environments like EVE where it's basically up the playerbase to create their own end game, which basically just always boil down to fighting other players and accumulating wealth.

I really hope so. It's the only intolerable thing about the game for me presently (still about mid-level and don't PvP...).

Also, I take it Legacy is not making it into patch 1.1?

Legacy is announced for the March big content update with a bunch of other new things

That's probably my biggest gripe as of right now. My two main hotbars are full, and my right side hotbar is full. I use my left side hotbar for controlling my companion. I suppose it might be alleviated when I remove some of the skills I basically don't ever use from my hotbars, but really it just comes down to not having enough space.

I also wish there was a way to disable the cover menu from appearing entirely. I don't want my hotbars to change, I want it to stay the same and let me manage it. I have it set up so that all of my abilities that require cover are on the bottom bar, and all other abilities are on the top bar, and I like it that way.

frequency

That's probably my biggest gripe as of right now. My two main hotbars are full, and my right side hotbar is full. I use my left side hotbar for controlling my companion. I suppose it might be alleviated when I remove some of the skills I basically don't ever use from my hotbars, but really it just comes down to not having enough space.

I also wish there was a way to disable the cover menu from appearing entirely. I don't want my hotbars to change, I want it to stay the same and let me manage it. I have it set up so that all of my abilities that require cover are on the bottom bar, and all other abilities are on the top bar, and I like it that way.

I have all my abilities that require cover in the cover bar and those that don't in the non-cover version. The bottom bar I'm using for common things I use both in and out of cover.

And I only have like 4 open slots left on my bars.

How do you have your bars set up to allow dedicating an entire bar to cover only? Are you a Gunslinger/Sniper?

On a related note. The UI isn't the best, but that's not the issue for me. The issue for me is "skill bloat" or whatever you want to call it. I just shouldn't have 4 bars of skills/abilities. That's like 48 things. In 50 levels.

You can turn off the cover bar in the options.

Can you? Good. I looked but didn't find anything to allow for it. The preferences are a bit disorganized for me.

I have all my abilities that require cover in the cover bar and those that don't in the non-cover version. The bottom bar I'm using for common things I use both in and out of cover.

And I only have like 4 open slots left on my bars.

How do you have your bars set up to allow dedicating an entire bar to cover only? Are you a Gunslinger/Sniper?

Well, there are only somewhere around 6 abilities or so that I can think of that actually require cover, and I use the other slots on that bar for common abilities. So I guess I have both on that bar, but all usage primarily revolves around the cover abilities since they are used so much more frequently. I have it set up so that I only use 1-5 and Shift+1-5 for commonly used abilities. 1-5 = non-cover and shift+1-5 for cover.

Also, Gunslinger.

Edit:
I hotkeyed my bottom bar to be shift+#

Prodigal

Banned
Arg I wish I could change my legacy name...might ask a GM if he could do it for me! :p

When would you guys say the IA story line starts to get good? I just got to Tatooine and while it's been kinda cool so far it definitely hasn't been as good as I was expecting. Still fun though.

frequency

Well, there are only somewhere around 6 abilities or so that I can think of that actually require cover, and I use the other slots on that bar for common abilities. So I guess I have both on that bar, but all usage primarily revolves around the cover abilities since they are used so much more frequently. I have it set up so that I only use 1-5 and Shift+1-5 for commonly used abilities. 1-5 = non-cover and shift+1-5 for cover.

Also, Gunslinger.

Hmm... Maybe I'm remembering wrong as I haven't been on my Gunslinger in like a week.

Arg I wish I could change my legacy name...might ask a GM if he could do it for me! :p

When would you guys say the IA story line starts to get good? I just got to Tatooine and while it's been kinda cool so far it definitely hasn't been as good as I was expecting. Still fun though.

I'd like to know as well. I think I may have been over-hyped on it from the excess praise. It hasn't been particularly interesting for me.

Tacitus_

Personally, I'm fine with the amount of skills I have. I've got a 33 BH and 50 Sith Assassin. Sure, the assassin's got a shitload of skills, but when you separate the needed skills from the situational skills, it gets manageable.

I use five skills for my main rotation, with one added after the mob hits <30%. Then there's cooldowns and situational skills like interrupt, sprint and stun that are good to have bound, but not necessary (well interrupt kinda is, but...). I just wish I could macro some of the skills together, like using putting all my cooldowns in one skill that I could just spam and it'd cycle through the spells, activating everything that's not on cooldown.

frequency

While the current skill set is manageable (though not without a time investment to learn for non-clickers), I still think it's ridiculous that some classes pretty much have FOURTY EIGHT action slots filled.

Lets not forget that we would get more abilities with expansions and level increases. So at some point, this stuff has to be trimmed and brought down to a more reasonable level.

But eh. We talked about this already earlier in the thread so I guess I shouldn't continue.

I've been going around redoing my skills on my bars to create pvp rows and such since really as a Sith Jug a bunch of abilities have no pvp use, or are purely pve skills so I just switch rows to my pvp "spec" and it's working much better.

I think they should take a cue from (gasp) FFXI and add a much larger variety of things to do endgame. FFXI had at least 10 completely different types of things you could do endgame (Dynamis, Salvage, world bosses, sky, sea, merit parties, ballista, etc). This made it where you never ended up feeling like you were always doing the same thing. The first two were basically special types of instance on different lockout timers but which led to completely different reward sets, and each had a progression system built in. The third, SWTOR already has. The 4th and 5th were basically areas to farm items for fighting "gods" as well as fighting the gods themselves (so sort of a progression system for certain world bosses). The 6th was basically a system whereby you could grind to permanently boost various stats of your character. The 7th was pvp. They could then take an additional cue from WoW and add progression to the endgame flashpoints and I think this would be the start of a healthy SWTOR endgame.

I'm not totally faulting them here, because to be fair WoW as well as FFXI had all of these features added over time. But it's just something to look forward to anyway.

Tacitus_

Well, there's the datacrons for permanent stat increases, and they're adding more group content in the patches. I'd just wish they'd fix the bugs in the current content.

I think they should take a cue from (gasp) FFXI and add a much larger variety of things to do endgame. FFXI had at least 10 completely different types of things you could do endgame (Dynamis, Salvage, world bosses, sky, sea, merit parties, ballista, etc). This made it where you never ended up feeling like you were always doing the same thing. The first two were basically special types of instance on different lockout timers but which led to completely different reward sets, and each had a progression system built in. The third, SWTOR already has. The 4th and 5th were basically areas to farm items for fighting "gods" as well as fighting the gods themselves (so sort of a progression system for certain world bosses). The 6th was basically a system whereby you could grind to permanently boost various stats of your character. The 7th was pvp. They could then take an additional cue from WoW and add progression to the endgame flashpoints and I think this would be the start of a healthy SWTOR endgame.

I'm not totally faulting them here, because to be fair WoW as well as FFXI had all of these features added over time. But it's just something to look forward to anyway.

They add more stuff, but it also just always ends up just being more forms of grinding.

frequency

Every new MMO goes through this.
Since MMOs nowadays are so easy to level, people reach cap in no time. And there's just not enough time/resources/money to add extensive end game content during development.

I'm confident that end game content will come over time. I don't know how you keep people who are already at end game and don't want to do alts though.

Too bad that if level progression was slower, people would whine and complain about the grind. Too bad the "grind", which is a core element of the MMO genre, is seen as a huge negative in today's MMO age. But I feel like we've also already had that conversation in this very thread.... so... more pointless posts by me I guess.

Every new MMO goes through this.
Since MMOs nowadays are so easy to level, people reach cap in no time. And there's just not enough time/resources/money to add extensive end game content during development.

I'm confident that end game content will come over time. I don't know how you keep people who are already at end game and don't want to do alts though.

Too bad that if level progression was slower, people would whine and complain about the grind. Too bad the "grind", which is a core element of the MMO genre, is seen as a huge negative in today's MMO age. But I feel like we've also already had that conversation in this very thread.... so... more pointless posts by me I guess.

Extending the grind of the game would pretty much give the people reaching max level a few more days of play before they begin whining about end game. Those who have the time to invest and who play that fast are never satisfied with any new MMO. If they have no intention of doing alts, then they are just going to quit soon no matter what, bloating the leveling experience isn't going to have much affect on that and just pisses off players who don't want to grind forever.

Mentality of players has changed, people didn't grind and rush to max level as much back in the day, they were able to take their time more. For many I think with WoW and other games they developed the mentality that the real game started at end game.

All devs can do is pump out new content on a regular basis but players will just beat whatever is added in a few days/hours.

frequency

Extending the grind of the game would pretty much give the people reaching max level a few more days of play before they begin whining about end game. Those who have the time to invest and who play that fast are never satisfied with any new MMO. If they have no intention of doing alts, then they are just going to quit soon no matter what, bloating the leveling experience isn't going to have much affect on that and just pisses off players who don't want to grind forever.

Mentality of players has changed, people didn't grind and rush to max level as much back in the day, they were able to take their time more. For many I think with WoW and other games they developed the mentality that the real game started at end game.

All devs can do is pump out new content on a regular basis but players will just beat whatever is added in a few days/hours.

Yeah. That is the popular opinion for games in general these days. People want as compact an experience as possible it seems. Like the general complaints against Skyward Sword or Alice Madness Returns being "padded".
No one seems to have patience anymore. It seems like everyone just wants to consume the most amount of content in the shortest amount of time possible rather than relaxing and enjoying the ride.

I think I've heard it referred to as the "microwave age" or something. I want this and I want it now!
I feel really old sometimes.

Ken

Well, there's the datacrons for permanent stat increases, and they're adding more group content in the patches. I'd just wish they'd fix the bugs in the current content.

Spent 5 hours yesterday morning trying to do Directive 7 normal mode with a pug and redoing the final boss 3 times and still not being able to complete it because of a bug is really disappointing.

Blitzzz

Personally, I'm fine with the amount of skills I have. I've got a 33 BH and 50 Sith Assassin. Sure, the assassin's got a shitload of skills, but when you separate the needed skills from the situational skills, it gets manageable.

I use five skills for my main rotation, with one added after the mob hits <30%. Then there's cooldowns and situational skills like interrupt, sprint and stun that are good to have bound, but not necessary (well interrupt kinda is, but...). I just wish I could macro some of the skills together, like using putting all my cooldowns in one skill that I could just spam and it'd cycle through the spells, activating everything that's not on cooldown.

I set mine up similar to you. Half the skills are made for different trees and usually aren't optimal to have taking a spot on the action bar. I use two bottom bars and have attacks on one side and cc/escapes on the other. Then a right bar for long cooldown crap/mount

gunslinger

I'll tell you what my two friends who still play WoW do at end-game:

They fish. And they do holiday quests for achievements. That's 99% of what they do all year round.

I personally find fishing boring as fuck and holiday quest sets only slightly less numbing, but it keeps them subbed (year-round too, I might add).

I would take a guess that TOR will need more variety of things in order to keep all sorts of people subbed. There are lots of people in WoW who don't really give a rats ass about the gear grind.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
i did. its not enough

i had to do a lot of research on various websites about how things work and get advice on forums etc

bioware could have done a lot more. they do rely on wow knowledge and the mechanics of mmos

not once
not fucking once do the tutorials mention managing rotations

lol nothing in WoW tells or shows you how to do that either, and it's hardly required until end game stuff which you can only do in a group anyway.

Fucking Pazaak tables everywhere and I can't play it :(

It would be such a simple time sink that should be added. Playing poker with people in Red Dead Revolver was awesome. Put in Pazaak as a MP playable game in TOR and they could do so much with it. People would play it all the time, they can do tournaments in game, etc

Where does the Nar Shaddaa bonus series questline start? I'm level 28, have completed all of Nar Shaddaa's storyline THROUGH Tatooine, and Bareesh the Hut still doesn't offer me the quest. Usually it starts in the spaceport, but there's no quests for me there either. Anyone know?

Fixed1979

Put Pazaak in game for in game credit gambling. Instant end game

Pazaak would have been an awesome mini-game to add. Collecting cards and playing the game could be a big time sink.

It would be such a simple time sink that should be added. Playing poker with people in Red Dead Revolver was awesome. Put in Pazaak as a MP playable game in TOR and they could do so much with it. People would play it all the time, they can do tournaments in game, etc

Have any other MMO's done a player v player gambling system? I think that might open up a big can of worms, although I'd love to see it.

Just rolled a Vanguard last night, logged off when I hit 10. Is shield spec fine for leveling as well as tanking?

Where does the Nar Shaddaa bonus series questline start? I'm level 28, have completed all of Nar Shaddaa's storyline THROUGH Tatooine, and Bareesh the Hut still doesn't offer me the quest. Usually it starts in the spaceport, but there's no quests for me there either. Anyone kn ow?

You should get it after you finish act 1. Thats what it was for me. Went to Tat, then Alderaan, did some class quests and then sent back to Nar Shadda where near the space port a quest giver starts the bonus series. You are not given the bonus series by anyone, you got to pick it up from quest giver when you go back there.

Top Bottom