• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

gatti-man

I did the LOD tweak in nvidia inspector (set it at -3), and there is a huge difference. I mostly noticed it in the space combat where the game looked probably 2x better than without the LOD tweak. However, there was a huge performance impact, where I was getting 60 fps all the time during them before, but it was dropping into the low 40s at points with the tweak.

Definitely not going to be using this. This is on dual GTX 580's as well, so I have no clue why it runs like shit.

Did you do the sli tweak as well? If not then you are only running on one card.

FLEABttn

Banned
How long does 1-50 take? Or completely the class storyline.

Took me approximately 216 hours.

I did not ask here, not sure why since I spend most of my internet time here, but on the official forum's I posted a thread asking if an SSD had any impact on loading times and pretty much 90% of the people said it makes no difference at all.

I had ordered a Samsung 256gb 830 series SSD and wiped the existing HDD's to do a complete re-intall, while I was waiting I figured I could load SWTOR on my laptop. I know some people have made reports that load times can be alot slower on other machines and sure enough it takes 2x as long to load an area on my laptop vs. my desktop...but when I got the responses from folks over that the official site stating SSD's dont make any difference I was suprised.

UPS guys pulls up, hands over my SSD and I begin the install process. Once I have Windows up and patched, got my virus protection loaded in and few other programs I am ready to install SWTOR onto the SSD. Once everything is done, I decide to check it out and WOW! I am getting 10-15sec load times and that is it. I even went to 4 different planets, fleet and any other area I can get a loading screen and the longest load time I had was 20sec. On my desktop prior to the SSD I would get 30 sec to 1min 30 sec load times.

Not sure if the folks replying to me on the official site had older SSD's are perhaps SSD's that were not optomized, but for me the speed difference is pretty amazing.

SATA II vs SATA II differences perhaps? I've tried TOR in two different SSD's, on W7, with Trim enabled, with minor load time differences compared to the 7200 RPM drive it used to live on.

frequency

90s is probably average for me when loading planets. Fleet and ship load a little quicker.

Alderaan can take up to 5 minutes for me to load. I don't what it is about that damned planet, but it can take forever and even locked up on me once.

My general PC specs are AMD Phenom Quad Core (9xxx I think), 4 GB RAM, GTX 460 for reference.

The heroic (Imperial) you get where you have to destroy 3 generators then kill a boss, that area is a slide show for me. The rest of the planet runs well, that section kills me and I have no idea why.

Tatooine ran well for me except for the area right outside Mos Ila, where the speeders are.

I'm not very technically inclined. I couldn't even tell you what my computer specs are.
Except I know I have 12 GB RAM. I had 4 but got help adding more because some things would be slow when I multitask (like encoding a video and drawing at the same time). It only cost like $50 or something to upgrade.

I'm lucky enough to not have had any performance issues with the game I guess. It's been smooth and everything is running fast. Unfortunately, I get other bugs like characters eyes go all shiny black in conversations (which is super creepy). Or the planet after Alderaan (forget the name) has eye-hurting flashing green lights all the time. Or my PC would freeze when I quit the game.

Also bleh, moving to community. I like, never look in there! It's scary. The last time I went in, I think I saw a furry OT.

gatti-man

The game drinks GPUs like crazy. My CPU is barely utilized while my GPU is always at 100.

Yes but something is wrong. I do the LOD tweak and am running sli 480s and stay pinned at 60fps at all times. I do get stutter on fleet though :-/

Edit: everything maxed 4xaa at 2560x1600 16xaf

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You can, but doing daily quests will make you a small fortune fairly quick

I think it might still be worth it for orange gear though. I was thinking about doing that when we got to 50. I like variety in my wardrobe.

I tried a space mission and failed badly at it. Should I upgrade my ship first or just keep trying until I beat it? If the former, where's the best place to buy ship upgrades?

JWong

Banned
I tried a space mission and failed badly at it. Should I upgrade my ship first or just keep trying until I beat it? If the former, where's the best place to buy ship upgrades?

Your fleet has a vendor that sells stuff. Definitely buy upgrades as soon as they become available. The jump from level 1 to level 3 is immense. Blaster speed is like 3 times faster.

Also, buy stuff from the Space commendation vendor. At least the Power Convertor. It double your blaster damage when turned on.

I've done all the space missions up to my level 44. Definitely gets harder.

Realyn

I just did some companion quest and I have to post this for the guys who aren´t playing and just lurking around: SONIC is in SWToR !

There actually is a even bigger one as a optional boss in some instance.

Just wondering. Looks like there's a power struggle going on in those pics.

Yeah, kinda. But since its a class quest I dont really want to spoiler it. But my chick allways looks like that lol. I would love to turn on Sith Corruption for the orange eyes, she looks even more creepy that way. But then I also got the shadows around mouth and eyes :/

gatti-man

Hmm... not that I know of. Could you shed some light?

The newest beta drivers have a typo in the swtor beta profile. Delete the wrc2 profile and edit the swtor profile to launcher.exe as opposed to swtor.exe.

Also change your sli rendering to force alternate 2 in your nvidia control panel for best gains. This is all stuff ive found on the net so ymmv but it worked for me.

moop1167

The newest beta drivers have a typo in the swtor beta profile. Delete the wrc2 profile and edit the swtor profile to launcher.exe as opposed to swtor.exe.

Also change your sli rendering to force alternate 2 in your nvidia control panel for best gains. This is all stuff ive found on the net so ymmv but it worked for me.

I'm using nvidia inspector though... seems to be fine because when I force things it works. AFR2 is already forced.

I deleted the other profile though.

aett

My BH looks similar to your Sage, and I agree that the glowing eyes look cool -- but I don't like the rest of the corrupted look, so I keep it turned off. It would make more sense if I was playing a Force-user, anyway.

SW-Telesia01.jpg

Sigfodr

My BH looks similar to your Sage, and I agree that the glowing eyes look cool -- but I don't like the rest of the corrupted look, so I keep it turned off. It would make more sense if I was playing a Force-user, anyway.

I hate seeing people with that hair that color; my main has that hair! My main, however, is green, so the illusion remains.

JWong

Banned

Everyone uses that hairstyle... ;_;

My operative isn't so special anymore.

aett

It's my favorite hairstyle, which is why my first character has it. I also like the short bob that I've selected for the Chiss Agent that I'll play one day, but I wish there were some long hair options for the female characters.

gatti-man

Can we make more members of empire gaf have the ability to add memers. Ive been trying to get an alt added with no luck.

Edit alts name is gatti

Varna

Did this and it does increase gpu usage on both cards. Changing the sli rendering didn't do much though.

On my system at least with 2 580s it's still not enough to run the game at max setting, x4 aa, x3 TRaa and the lod tweaks without running into serious frame rate issues. Andersen for example runs like absolute shit even without the lod tweak. I think this game desperately needs a new driver set.

aett

Don't have the name I'm afraid. I haven't been able to play for a couple weeks. You can get the full set doing all the Tatooine heroics though.

Figures -- I did all of the pre-bonus series heroics, but I did the bonus series late at night when nobody was online and I just ended up skipping them. Gives me a reason to go back.

On another note, Alderaan is my least favorite place so far. It's pretty, and I like harassing the nobles, but I'm overlevelled and the whole place is just too damn big and spread out. I'm just going to do the class and main planet quests so I can move on.

Moaradin

Yea, Alderaan was my least favorite storywise as an Imperial Agent, but I also did my Bounty Hunter friend's story and it was more interesting since he was a big dick to all the nobles.

gatti-man

Did this and it does increase gpu usage on both cards. Changing the sli rendering didn't do much though.

On my system at least with 2 580s it's still not enough to run the game at max setting, x4 aa, x3 TRaa and the lod tweaks without running into serious frame rate issues. Andersen for example runs like absolute shit even without the lod tweak. I think this game desperately needs a new driver set.

I havent looked at gpu useage just fraps. Its so weird that my fps are high while yours are lower with a better setup. Yes this game definitely needs better drivers.

Varna

I havent looked at gpu useage just fraps. Its so weird that my fps are high while yours are lower with a better setup. Yes this game definitely needs better drivers.

So with a lesser system you are getting a solid 60 on Aldeeran with x4 AA, x2 TrAA and the LOD tweaks?

The most frustrating thing for me is that there is basically nothing I can do other then wait (or try a reformat... but there is no way it would make a different right?). I've tried running on stock low and get the exact same kind of drops. I've done literally everything I could possibly do.

So I was leveling an Imperial Agent alt yesterday on Hutta when this guy from GAF Empire named AttackTheBase ninja'd a quest node in one of the heroic areas from my friend and I. Not cool at all.

bill0527

How long does 1-50 take? Or completely the class storyline.

I think it depends on the class.

My bounty hunter merc is level 46 and I've got 98 hours played. That class and spec is almost easy mode though. Your first companion is a healer and you can pretty much sleep walk through the game blowing shit up with your pocket healer.

I was getting sort of sick of my level 26 Sniper, so I rolled an alt Sith Inquisitor. I made it to level 10 really quickly and opted for the Sorcerer advanced class and the difference in difficulty between the Sniper and Sorc is crazy. I'm sure some of it is being familiar with the game now, but being able to heal and having access to a tank companion right away makes it kind of easy to steamroll through stuff. By comparison the Sniper feels way more deliberate and slow going. I kind of wish I had started with a Sorcerer first, and I really wish I had gone for Operative instead of Sniper for my Imperial Agent. Ah well. Say hi if you see a Sorc named Mishima on Keller's Void.

Top Bottom