• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

frequency

The cancel button was indeed gone for me when I tried to cancel this afternoon. Not actually canceling, but I found a cheap 60 day card so I wanted to replace my recurring subscription with the game code. I had to use that direct link to remove the existing subscription. There are a lot of people on the official forums having this problem, it's not a case of trolling or people hating on the game. This is a legit problem which is very shady on the part of EA/Bioware.

Shh.. Be careful what you say in this thread.
If you say anything negative or anything to support a negative claim, you'll be labeled as a troll with an agenda against BioWare who actively wants SWTOR to fail by spreading false rumours.

Seriously. This thread...

Guessing he's talking about things like the setup animation for Troopers in Mortar Volley that isn't present in Bounty Hunters' equivalent skill, meaning Troopers end up doing less damage with it.

Ditto with Full Auto and the equivalent skill.

The Sage rock throw thing also has to play out animation before it actually does anything. Sorc equivalent is instant with the lightning.

Zafir

I think the most annoying thing with setup animations is, if you get knocked back or something during it, it wastes the CD and doesn't do any damage, despite it being instant. It happens all the time with my Smash, which requires my character to jump up and smash down.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Nothing like waking up on your day off, looking forward to a day of TOR, only to find out they can't make up their damn minds when they should take the servers offline. Feck.

Well they still aren't down so play as much as you can? lol

Aedile

I don't keep up to date on SWTOR's ongoing bugginess, so I'll ask: is this emergency patch related to the strangely large number of people in high-end PvP gear I've seen running around lately?

Ken

I think the most annoying thing with setup animations is, if you get knocked back or something during it, it wastes the CD and doesn't do any damage, despite it being instant. It happens all the time with my Smash, which requires my character to jump up and smash down.
Or starting a mortar volley, then deciding you want to reposition, but since the skill is already active you'd put it on CD without doing any damage.

I don't keep up to date on SWTOR's ongoing bugginess, so I'll ask: is this emergency patch related to the strangely large number of people in high-end PvP gear I've seen running around lately?

I know last night's 1 AM PST patch was labeled as an emergency patch for the Ilum stuff. Not sure if the one at the moment is related, but I'm not sure if they're even going to do anything about the people who took advantage of 1.1 Ilum for their BM gear. :(

Zafir

Well, it was going to be 4hours. That was before they decided to delay the patch implementing for a few hours.

Not good for europe, it's cutting into our prime time. :/

If you say anything negative or anything to support a negative claim, you'll be labeled as a troll with an agenda against BioWare who actively wants SWTOR to fail by spreading false rumours.

Are you serious? People were up in arms yesterday when the ilum exploits/bug happened.

Aedile

I know last night's 1 AM PST patch was labeled as an emergency patch for the Ilum stuff. Not sure if the one at the moment is related, but I'm not sure if they're even going to do anything about the people who took advantage of 1.1 Ilum for their BM gear. :(

This PvP situation makes me feel like Sisyphus with the damn rock. After getting farmed by geared 50s in pre-1.1, the introduction of the 50 bracket seemed like it fixed almost everything: my lowbie alts could compete in their bracket (and pre-50 WZs are fun as hell), and there was a pretty even playing field at 50, since the valor 60 grind was a long one and most people were geared equivalently. Now it's back to being farmed by the poopsock brigade who picked up 20-30 valor levels in a day. (In theory, at least. In practice, I'll just put my 50 on the shelf.)

Duress

I really shouldn't try to que for war zones on planets. It takes forever to load back up once I finish, only to get another war zone ready. -_-

Okay, Bioware needs to fix their "start" times for this stuff. Said that downtime was to start at 6am EST for me (in their big long list of time zones) and here it is starting at 11am? Wut? Seriously, I didn't log in till almost 11am thinking that it might at least have taken a huge chunk of time off the downtime, or outright be done (as servers were down yesterday as well).

Leveled Sorcerer to 22 in one day, feels good. The class is godly. I absolutely adore playing the Dark Side, some quests get crazy funny e.g. (end Balmorra spoiler):
you get to Republic prison to rescue a son of your military contact on the planet; son happens to be a Sith as well. He's been sent to retrieve a powerful artifact. What can you do? Instead of letting him go you open the prison cell, kill the guy, take the artifact, later kill the father, and kill another scientist for good measure. NO WITNESSES!

On the other hand, I picked Artifice, and I'm having a hard time with it, it's simply too boring + you outlevel the items you make very fast, so there's no point to try and do blue/epic before 50, at which point you can get better items from Ilum dailies. Only thing you would have to buy is the crystal, but that can be bought from GTN.

Tempted to try slicing, but on Dromund Kaas I saw no slicing nodes at all.

Out of all the MMOs I've played (SWG, Matrix, WoW and this) SWG is the only one I've enjoyed when it came to crafting. All the rest, as you mentioned, seemed to offer very little other than a money sink (as items were useless within a level of being created).

Really wish SWG had had 'better?' support? Better management? I don't know. That combat update really seemed to be the beginning of the end. Was still really enjoyable though. Would have been nice to see better management of player towns/cities too.
BAH, missing SWG now.

Ken

Leveled Sorcerer to 22 in one day, feels good. The class is godly. I absolutely adore playing the Dark Side, some quests get crazy funny e.g. (end Balmorra spoiler):
you get to Republic prison to rescue a son of your military contact on the planet; son happens to be a Sith as well. He's been sent to retrieve a powerful artifact. What can you do? Instead of letting him go you open the prison cell, kill the guy, take the artifact, later kill the father, and kill another scientist for good measure. NO WITNESSES!

On the other hand, I picked Artifice, and I'm having a hard time with it, it's simply too boring + you outlevel the items you make very fast, so there's no point to try and do blue/epic before 50, at which point you can get better items from Ilum dailies. Only thing you would have to buy is the crystal, but that can be bought from GTN.

Tempted to try slicing, but on Dromund Kaas I saw no slicing nodes at all.
Now I wonder if I should roll a Sorcerer or continue my Operative; any opinions from people who have played both?

I'm duoing with a BH Mercenary friend. I chose an Operative because I wanted to stab things, but now I'm slightly bummed that they use blaster rifles because I've been using BRs on my Vanguard to 50. On the other hand, Sorcerers sound quite fun and their gear looks pretty cool.

I'm assuming everyone got the email about the founder title thing, well timed again by bioware etc (doubt it will stop most people from unsubbing)

Now I wonder if I should roll a Sorcerer or continue my Operative; any opinions from people who have played both?

I got Operative to Lvl 33, just before Act II. People say it gets way better after the ending of Act I, but till that time it's boring as hell. You spend 33-34 levels chasing down nameless
terrorists
. Then again, nothing can really top shocking people to death (which you can do with literally every other NPC). If you enjoy James Bond stuff go Operative, otherwise try some Force user.

My general impression is, even if "Force" storylines are not so subtle, they are way more epic in scope e.g. as a JK lvl 40 you face (HUGE SPOILER!!!)
Sith Emperor

Ken

I'm assuming everyone got the email about the founder title thing, well timed again by bioware etc (doubt it will stop most people from unsubbing)
Kind of lame that the PR is written so the medal and title seem like two different things.

V I believe you consume the medal to obtain the title, so it's really just one thing you're getting. Really, anyone playing the game week 1 and earlier should have been given the Founder title. =\

Interfectum

What are the details? I'm at work and can't open the e-mail link.

We would like to thank each and every one of you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches of all time. To show our appreciation, from now through March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST, we are rewarding early members of The Old Republic community with a unique Founder’s medal* and title.

So how do you earn the “Founder” title? This reward is only available to players who have completed either one of the following transactions (by March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST; Pacific: March 18th, 9:01PM PST; European: 4:01AM GMT, 5:01AM CET):

Billed at least once for an active Star Wars: The Old Republic subscription
OR

Redeemed a Star Wars: The Old Republic Pre-Paid Game Time Code
Once you become eligible for the title and have surpassed your 30 days of game time included with your official Game Product Registration Code, you will be notified by email. The Founder’s medal will be delivered to all your characters through in-game mail. From the in-game mail, simply right-clicking on the medal to unlock the “Founder” title to your character. This title is permanently bound to your account and will carry over to any character you make in the future. (NOTE: It may take up to 7 days for the “Founder” title to be applied).

TIP: You can choose to show the Founder’s title or any other title you’ve earned in-game by opening your character sheet and selecting a title from the character name drop down. Once applied, the title will show next to your character name on your nameplate.

You get some kind of coin and the title "Founder" for subbing for a month.

What are the details? I'm at work and can't open the e-mail link.

We would like to thank each and every one of you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches of all time. To show our appreciation, from now through March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST, we are rewarding early members of The Old Republic community with a unique Founder’s medal* and title.

So how do you earn the “Founder” title? This reward is only available to players who have completed either one of the following transactions (by March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST; Pacific: March 18th, 9:01PM PST; European: 4:01AM GMT, 5:01AM CET):

•Billed at least once for an active Star Wars: The Old Republic subscription
OR
•Redeemed a Star Wars: The Old Republic Pre-Paid Game Time Code

Once you become eligible for the title and have surpassed your 30 days of game time included with your official Game Product Registration Code, you will be notified by email. The Founder’s medal will be delivered to all your characters through in-game mail. From the in-game mail, simply right-clicking on the medal to unlock the “Founder” title to your character. This title is permanently bound to your account and will carry over to any character you make in the future. (NOTE: It may take up to 7 days for the “Founder” title to be applied).

TIP: You can choose to show the Founder’s title or any other title you’ve earned in-game by opening your character sheet and selecting a title from the character name drop down. Once applied, the title will show next to your character name on your nameplate.

If you haven’t picked up the game yet or need to purchase a Pre-Paid Game Time Code, be sure to purchase one now! To redeem your Game Time Code, visit the Code Redemption Center. Finally, to sign up for a recurring subscription, log in to www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com and visit “My Accounts > Subscription.” Star Wars: The Old Republic has three recurring subscription plans:

•1 Month Subscription (automatically billed every 30 days): $14.99 per month (£8.99/€12.99)
•3 Month Subscription (automatically billed every 90 days): $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
•6 Month Subscription (automatically billed every 180 days): $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

For more information about how to unlock the exclusive Founder’s Medal and title, visit the Rewards page.

*OFFER EXPIRES MARCH 19, 2012 AT 12:01AM EST; MARCH 18, 2012 AT 9:01PM PST; MARCH 19, 2012 AT 4:01AM GMT; MARCH 19, 2012 AT 5:01AM CET. GOOD ONLY FOR PURCHASES OF STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ WITH REDEMPTION OF A PURCHASED GAME TIME CODE OR BILLING OF AN ACTIVE GAME RECURRING SUBSCRIPTION WITH AN APPROVED PAYMENT METHOD. VALID WHEREVER GAME IS SOLD. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. CUSTOMERS WILL ACCESS THE ITEM IN-GAME. VIRTUAL ITEM ONLY. ITEM WILL BE APPLIED TO ALL CHARACTERS UNDER USER’S ACCOUNT. PLEASE ALLOW 7 DAYS FOR NOTIFICATION OF DELIVERABLES.

Kind of lame that the PR is written so the medal and title seem like two different things.

Yeah threw me at first too, thought you got the title and could equip the medal to show on your character or something at first, still think it stinks they never gave a title or anything to the beta testers

You get some kind of coin and the title "Founder" for subbing for a month.

The coin is just the item you use from the ingame mail to get the founder title, it dissapears after you use it.

On a random note if anyone has either a Magenta or Purple crystal for sale I will buy it up ;)

New patch (Main assets 32) is about 10mb in size btw.

Alex

The heck are you goin' on about? I've seen very little of that type of behavior in here. It's been largely filled with all sorts of discussion, critique and praise alike from all walks.

Official threads for MMOs actually tend to be some of the betters on GAF. At least from my experience, you can go into a topic, speak your mind, and not be ripped apart by hive mind or drive-by smarm unlike a lot of the rest of the board. There's always a few extremists who pick fights and go too far but that's life.

Out of all the MMOs I've played (SWG, Matrix, WoW and this) SWG is the only one I've enjoyed when it came to crafting

I always like crafting, all kinds of crafting, synthesis, alchemy, etc are something I love in games but my nitpick is as of late in MMOs where its just not useful. Where it's 90% dedicated towards gear and

1.) Is obnoxious to craft while leveling
2.) Useless compared to end game PvP and PvE rewards.

It's a real shame, I'd really like to see it catch on as something big. Can't think of many good ones in the EQ-vein of titles though that I've sampled (crafting was great in UO!!)

I remember Final Fantasy XI doing it pretty well in a way that would suit the modern sense. Materials dropping from rare enemies and bosses that were funneled into popular and unique options and the HQ procs that made things stupid rare at times.

Not sure what, if anything, SWTOR does in that regard yet. It was handled in a very stupid way in classic WoW (fucking resist gear) and a very, very useless and mundane way in modern WoW.

The only thing you'd ever feel wearing that title is shame.

Cipher Agent title is the only title for me.

frequency

Are you serious? People were up in arms yesterday when the ilum exploits/bug happened.

Yeah and there were a group of people vehemently defending it and saying all the people who were unhappy with it have no right to be because it's no big deal or whatever and it's impossible to expect BioWare to respond to it in less than a day.

I guess it's kind of typical of GAF OTs where any detractors in the thread are labeled as trolls. Because it's impossible to have legitimate problems with a game and post in its OT or something.

The heck are you goin' on about? I've seen very little of that type of behavior in here. It's been largely filled with all sorts of discussion, critique and praise alike from all walks.

Official threads for MMOs actually tend to be some of the betters on GAF. At least from my experience, you can go into a topic, speak your mind, and not be ripped apart by hive mind or drive-by smarm unlike a lot of the rest of the board. There's always a few extremists who pick fights and go too far but that's life.
Maybe I'm listening too much to a certain voice in this thread.

bill0527

Believe it or not there is an actual thing called constructive negativity on one hand. On the other hand is just outright bullshit, exaggeration, and laughable stupidity.

Constructive negativity would be people getting upset over the Illum fiasco and maybe venting about it a little bit. Or, people wondering why there is no cancel button on their subscription page.

Outright Bullshit, exaggeration, and laughable stupidity would be people making dumb statements that Bioware has crafted an insidious plot or some grand conspiracy to stop people from canceling their subscription, when the facts are that it was simply a browser related issue that didn't happen to everyone (as evidenced by many people posting screenshots showing a cancel button on their own account page).

Or people posting a 2 page thesis on the official forums about how someone at Bioware should be fired and that he and his guild could do a better job of running this game than the trained monkeys at Bioware who are currently running it. If only Bioware would fire the clowns who have years of software development and years of experience working on this game, and hire him and his guild, they could fix the Illum problem in the next 10 minutes. Yeah.. guys who probably couldn't find a line of computer code if they had a map and compass and have zero experience in software development.

FLEABttn

Banned
Yeah and there were a group of people vehemently defending it and saying all the people who were unhappy with it have no right to be because it's no big deal or whatever and it's impossible to expect BioWare to respond to it in less than a day.

I guess it's kind of typical of GAF OTs where any detractors in the thread are labeled as trolls. Because it's impossible to have legitimate problems with a game and post in its OT or something.

There's no problem with being upset over what happened yesterday. There is a problem with unrealistic expectations and hyperbole. A fix happening a day later isn't slow. A fix happening 2 hours after the problem has been discovered isn't realistic. Turning off the servers in the interim is terrible and the person who suggested that should be laughed at, and justifiably.

I don't defend the problem, but I have no problem with the timeline of the actions and solution, assuming the patch today does indeed fix it.

frequency

Believe it or not there is an actual thing called constructive negativity on one hand. On the other hand is just outright bullshit, exaggeration, and laughable stupidity.

Constructive negativity would be people getting upset over the Illum fiasco and maybe venting about it a little bit. Or, people wondering why there is no cancel button on their subscription page.

Outright Bullshit, exaggeration, and laughable stupidity would be people making dumb statements that Bioware has crafted an insidious plot or some grand conspiracy to stop people from canceling their subscription, when the facts are that it was simply a browser related issue that didn't happen to everyone (as evidenced by many people posting screenshots showing a cancel button on their own account page).

Or people posting a 2 page thesis on the official forums about how someone at Bioware should be fired and that he and his guild could do a better job of running this game than the trained monkeys at Bioware who are currently running it. If only Bioware would fire the clowns who have years of software development and years of experience working on this game, and hire him and his guild, they could fix the Illum problem in the next 10 minutes. Yeah.. guys who probably couldn't find a line of computer code if they had a map and compass and have zero experience in software development.

EDIT: Nevermind. Don't want to cause trouble.

I don't really care enough to continue. I'm not even all that negative on the game. Ilum thing and cancel button doesn't really affect me. So I'll say I'm wrong and leave it at that.

CAW

I'm duoing with a BH Mercenary friend. I chose an Operative because I wanted to stab things, but now I'm slightly bummed that they use blaster rifles because I've been using BRs on my Vanguard to 50. On the other hand, Sorcerers sound quite fun and their gear looks pretty cool.

I have a 34 Operative (medicine spec) and I paused him and leveled an Assassin to level 32 and haven't looked back. The Operative is still fun to play, but I found the best build for leveling solo is medicine and I just got a bit tried of it. It wasn't difficult and I didn't struggle or anything, just felt like a change.

The Assassin is a lot of fun. It feels more like a rogue but you also have a bit of range if you need be an some decent CC. Plus stealth, which has proven useful being on a PvP server.

I've always been bad with alts but with this game I have a mega alt itch.

I have:

• 34 Operative
  • 32 Assassin
  • 28 Trooper
  • 18 Sorcerer
  • 18 Marauder
  • 18 Mercenary
  • 17 Sentinel

Alex

Maybe I'm listening too much to a certain voice in this thread.

Call 'em stupid and move on, child-like retorts accomplish the same thing on the internet, and they get it done faster!

Dash27

This PvP situation makes me feel like Sisyphus with the damn rock. After getting farmed by geared 50s in pre-1.1, the introduction of the 50 bracket seemed like it fixed almost everything: my lowbie alts could compete in their bracket (and pre-50 WZs are fun as hell), and there was a pretty even playing field at 50, since the valor 60 grind was a long one and most people were geared equivalently. Now it's back to being farmed by the poopsock brigade who picked up 20-30 valor levels in a day. (In theory, at least. In practice, I'll just put my 50 on the shelf.)

Was the insane valor thing ever verified? There was so much misinformation going around yesterday I find it hard to believe. That said, faster valor gain would be appreciated. Grind is too long.

First step maybe to fix Ilum is decrease valor gains if your faction has more then 24 (or even less) players within say 100 to 200 meters of a kill.

Second step is increase rewards for taking/defending points.

Third step is possibly add something that can shake up a map that is in a stalemate or over zerged (say if a point is held for 10 minutes, a beacon on the map opens up that the other faction can capture to call in an orbital strike to soften up the players at the position).

Just quick 5 minute ideas but need to do something similar.

Blitzzz

There's no problem with being upset over what happened yesterday. There is a problem with unrealistic expectations and hyperbole. A fix happening a day later isn't slow. A fix happening 2 hours after the problem has been discovered isn't realistic. Turning off the servers in the interim is terrible and the person who suggested that should be laughed at, and justifiably.

I don't defend the problem, but I have no problem with the timeline of the actions and solution, assuming the patch today does indeed fix it.

I think anyone with any experience working at a software company will have more realistic expectations of time frames for fixes and rollouts. Having said that, the planet instances should have been designed to be modular and Ilum should have been closed down when the bug was discovered.

Top Bottom