• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Was the insane valor thing ever verified? There was so much misinformation going around yesterday I find it hard to believe. That said, faster valor gain would be appreciated. Grind is too long.

No, it had to be B.S. unless somehow they had "constant" new repbulic players coming and going so you never had diminishing returns.

I'm an AOE class and have a computer that runs at 20 FPS with about 100 ppl on screen at Ilum, and only went from rank 33 to 37 after an hour of play and probably 100+ valor kills.

The first two valor ranks came FAST(less then 15 mins), with no diminshing returns by hitting the zergs. After that it came really slow.

So in truth, if your faction holds Ilum so you get 200 valor for a new kill, you can probably make an easy 10-20K valor in an hour fighting back and forth. Beyond that, you would need "fresh meat" to recycle the valor points.

CAW

Is this a bug or am I missing something? Notice the damage.

Operative:

BuV72.png

vs, same level Assassin:

urc2E.png

Now I wonder if I should roll a Sorcerer or continue my Operative; any opinions from people who have played both?

I have a Sniper at level 26 and I rolled a Sorcerer alt last weekend and got him to level 12 in short order. The Sorc is really fun and your first companion is really well matched to your skill set (unlike Kaliyo for the IA, at least in my opinion). Plus Force Lightning is bad ass.

Another patch, 4 mb for this one (game client 25)

Seems like this is going to be a long maintenance, not a fast one like we've had recently

Blitzzz

Is this a bug or am I missing something? Notice the damage.

Operative:

BuV72.png

vs, same level Assassin:

urc2E.png

check the "ranged" tab on assassin. Might show real numbers there. I think I saw the same thing with a companion. Low on melee which he was, but high numbers on range for what ever reason. Likely a bug

theta11

My stance is they should just abandon Ilum, maybe throw some PVE quests there and focus on world PVP in Outlaws Den. It's almost impossible to balance world PVP in a faction based game without population controls. I'd prefer a guild vs. guild scenario, population imbalances wouldn't be a major factor and it would bring the Ally/Adversary from when we set up guilds before the game launched and probably make the community overall better.

Outright Bullshit, exaggeration, and laughable stupidity would be people making dumb statements that Bioware has crafted an insidious plot or some grand conspiracy to stop people from canceling their subscription, when the facts are that it was simply a browser related issue that didn't happen to everyone (as evidenced by many people posting screenshots showing a cancel button on their own account page).
No it's not a browser related issue. If it were, the three other identically coded buttons on the same page would also be missing. This is an account administration problem which is affecting some accounts. The related issue is that somehow their system thinks you don't have a subscription even when you do. Some people on the official forums are speculating that it happened to people who registered their keys before launch date but it's anecdotal so it could be completely wrong. One thing is certain though, this is a problem from their end and not from the client side.

Aedile

Was the insane valor thing ever verified? There was so much misinformation going around yesterday I find it hard to believe. That said, faster valor gain would be appreciated. Grind is too long.

Like I said above, I don't keep track of this sort of thing. I only pop in here when I see something anomalous on my server and need to go somewhere for information. All I do know is that we have a lot of people who were well below me in valor rank a few days ago--judged by who does/doesn't take ops lead when we're on the same WZ team--who are now over 60. During that time, I was valor 50-51. According to someone in the know, we had 1 person over valor rank 60 the day before 1.1, with 2-3 more in the high 50s. None of those people were among the over-60s I saw today.

Re: the person commenting on the grind, I like it. Why? Because it keeps (kept) people wearing roughly the same quality of gear for a fairly long period of time. In a gear-über-alles game where you want broad participation, that's a good thing.

Dash27

The first two valor ranks came FAST(less then 15 mins), with no diminshing returns by hitting the zergs. After that it came really slow.

So in truth, if your faction holds Ilum so you get 200 valor for a new kill, you can probably make an easy 10-20K valor in an hour fighting back and forth. Beyond that, you would need "fresh meat" to recycle the valor points.

This was my experience as well. We had about 8 people they had 16-20 or so but this is right when they shut the speeders down to get into Ilum. Valor came fast initially then dropped off. Seemed good to me and it was a lot of fun fighting people.

I did see some people kill trading and one specifically said "you havent killed me in a while now, try it."

I always like crafting, all kinds of crafting, synthesis, alchemy, etc are something I love in games but my nitpick is as of late in MMOs where its just not useful. Where it's 90% dedicated towards gear and

1.) Is obnoxious to craft while leveling
2.) Useless compared to end game PvP and PvE rewards.

It's a real shame, I'd really like to see it catch on as something big. Can't think of many good ones in the EQ-vein of titles though that I've sampled (crafting was great in UO!!)

I remember Final Fantasy XI doing it pretty well in a way that would suit the modern sense. Materials dropping from rare enemies and bosses that were funneled into popular and unique options and the HQ procs that made things stupid rare at times.

Not sure what, if anything, SWTOR does in that regard yet. It was handled in a very stupid way in classic WoW (fucking resist gear) and a very, very useless and mundane way in modern WoW.

I know some people hated it, but I enjoyed SWG's way of setting up factories and and little 'industrial' estates on a planet to help farm and craft. I spent most of my time being able to RP being a Droid Merchant, which was actually pretty fun as people bought into it.

People have reported 1k valor per minute.

HAHAHAHA. Yeah right.

Nope.

The people who hit rank 100 were just spawn camping. With all points capped you get 200+ valor per kill, and they were (are still) getting dozens of kills every minute.

At one point, me, as a pub with no points capped, got almost 4000 valor in under 30 seconds when we broke just a single zerg. Imagine standing there spamming lightning storm on the spawn point with dozens of helpless pubs mashing retreat.

Yep.

^^ See above, gentlemen. I mean liking the game is one thing, but this is more like blind denial

zlatko

Banned
So whoever said they wish Jawa's were a race yesterday, I have to agree. There would be nothing more bad ass than being a 3 foot high saber swinging bad ass with glowy eyes.

I hope first expansion they bring them to the table for republic.

CAW

Does anyone know if you can run two accounts on the same PC? My brother has decided not to resubscribe due to not enough time but I figured perhaps I'd use his account and characters to help with some heroics. I did this in WoW.

Haven't you guys heard? The game is a failure, servers probably won't even come back up. It's done.
Do you think they're wishing they would have just made KOTOR 3? lol

Zafir

Does anyone know if you can run two accounts on the same PC? My brother has decided not to resubscribe due to not enough time but I figured perhaps I'd use his account and characters to help with some heroics. I did this in WoW.

You can only have one instance of the game running, unlike WoW, if that's what you're asking.

Wasn't for them to say. This was originally going to potentially be a fantasy MMO by bioware. Bioware has no say or control for KOTOR games, Lucasarts is the one who determines if another KOTOR is made and chooses who makes it.

Funny thing is I didn't get the waiting room stuff yesterday when shit was going down.

Maybe they're just tired of angry forum posts.

Hopefully next week when first month runs out things calm down a bit. There are complaints with the game but they are fixable. The PvE content in this patch was great for example. Great start. It is just being drowned out by total B.S., exaggerations, or purposeful rumor starting to get people riled up.

Which is why there are rank 100's (a couple of them on my server) and hundreds of Battlemasters in less than a day, right?

???

If anyone hit 100, it was not done in legitmate ways. Spawn camping couldn't do it. And no, turrets were B.S. so they didn't cause it.

Can you show a screen shot of someone at 100? I haven't seen one yet though people keep stating this.

Which tree is good for leveling as a Sith Sorcerer?

Madness until you get Wrath. Then work on Lightning until you get Chain Lightning. After that, go where you feel like putting points.

With DF+wrath procs+CL+force storm later on, you'll just murder standard mobs and still have good single dps for elites.

Hopefully next week when first month runs out things calm down a bit. There are complaints with the game but they are fixable. The PvE content in this patch was great for example. Great start. It is just being drowned out by total B.S., exaggerations, or purposeful rumor starting to get people riled up.

Wait doesn't the first month time run out today? Game released Dec 20th. December has 31 days, and today is the 19th thus 30 days have passed?

CAW

You can only have one instance of the game running, unlike WoW, if that's what you're asking.

Ah, bummer. Well I do have a second comp that just needs a PSU. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I'm bored and feeling anti-social.

Which tree is good for leveling as a Sith Sorcerer?
Here's the lightning build I was playing with. Worked great, very powerful: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcbMdRMutzZdM0M.1

servers are back for me.

Same for me. Thanks for the update!

So I checked my account page yesterday and it said I had no subscription, today is the first billing day and it still says I have no subscription. I can still log in fine, but something is wrong with their subscription page.

So I checked my account page yesterday and it said I had no subscription, today is the first billing day and it still says I have no subscription. I can still log in fine, but something is wrong with their subscription page.

They are making it impossible to leave! bioware hates us

nataku

Patch notes

1.1.0a Patch Notes - 1/19/2012

Operations

Karagga’s Palace

Fixed an issue that caused assigned loot bags in Karagga’s Palace to distribute items with class inappropriate stats.

PvP

Ilum

Players can no longer enter the opposing faction’s safe base area, thus preventing players from continually "camping" the other faction's base.
Turrets inside faction bases were not intended to be destroyed and are now immune to damage.
The population cap for instances of Ilum has been reduced to improve performance.
Implemented optimizations to improve performance on Ilum.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

Loading screens no longer appear when other players spawn nearby.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

Will it even be possible for Pubs to get valor on Ilum now with the faction imbalances? My Bounty Hunter won't be able to eat any pubs if they won't come out to play.

Ken

0/13/28. As people said, get Madness, then Chain Lightning, then back to get Wrath. Watch your character murdering mobs left and right.

Ah, bummer. Well I do have a second comp that just needs a PSU. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I'm bored and feeling anti-social.

Here's the lightning build I was playing with. Worked great, very powerful: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcbMdRMutzZdM0M.1

Same for me. Thanks for the update!

Are the extra Force and cost reduction talents the very first things I should get for either spec?

Azzurri

Will it even be possible for Pubs to get valor on Ilum now with the faction imbalances? My Bounty Hunter won't be able to eat any pubs if they won't come out to play.

I'm on a "heavy" server and during prime time Pubs had 96 people at one time on the fleet, but avg'd about 130. Then I checked the Imp side on my other guy and they had close to 300 just on the fleet.

JWong

Banned
Finished Belsavis, not looking forward to Voss.

I hate those people. They are just dumb. 8(

Are the extra Force and cost reduction talents the very first things I should get for either spec?

The cost reduction talent isn't as good as the extra force.

If you need to take one, you take Reserves and put points into more important things. The Madness 0/13/28 spec will not afford you to get both.

Edit: This is how I would do it. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZbsMMdZcrcRsMkrc.1

One point optional if you want to put Lightning Spire into Electric Induction.

Top Bottom