• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Reason why lot of the Sith is made up of Humans is because many were taken as Slaves by the original Pureblood Sith. Some hooked up with purebloods and diluted the blood lines down, but some of these Humans eventually down the line became Sith themselves. Many humans have slave ancestory dating back to the Great Hyperspace War

Thanks for the response. Does a "slave brand" represent their origin in their bloodline? Or is it a mark that represents that they were once themselves a slave?

Thanks for the response. Does a "slave brand" represent their origin in their bloodline? Or is it a mark that represents that they were once themselves a slave?

The Great Hyperspace War was over 1350 years before the game, more than likely most of these branded are just ancestors of former slaves, but don't know exact details on the brands. The empire is big on slavery and they do mention in the story that they are letting in almost anyone with force potential into the Sith Academy. Perhaps any new slaves are given a chance to become Sith if they have the potential, and that is a source of the brands.

Also are we going to make a republic GAF guild thread in the community grouping? For now while everyone is just getting in it's fine, but I am sure once we begin our raid schedule or help one another it will be nice to have a central area to post stuff.

Ephemeris

I played for like 10 hours straight yesterday, longest I've played a game in years; got to level 14, almost 15.

As for the game play and story I love it! I haven't been this entertained with a game in years, I usually play a game for like an hour or two and get bored, but with this I was enthralled. I guess the mix of MMO which I love and the Single Story really makes this game fun. It's like what will happen next and I gotta see. The game play does sorta play like WoW, same mechanics, but for some reason I find this game way more fun to play then I did with WOW, or a lot of other MMO's. Also, the setting helps a lot since I like Star Wars, and the future setting.

Sounded just like my beta impressions. I'm not a even fan of MMO's either (didn't like WOW)

I really don't like the way they're handling this early access. I mean it just sucks that so many people are in and leveling and so many other valid pre orders are just out in the cold. I understand their reasoning, but personally I enjoy the first days chaos of an mmo. The crashing servers, overcamped mobs, frantic general chat, it's all part of the excitement.

Or maybe I'm just butthurt because I'm not in and unlikely to get in soon. Yeah, it's probably that.

I really don't like the way they're handling this early access. I mean it just sucks that so many people are in and leveling and so many other valid pre orders are just out in the cold. I understand their reasoning, but personally I enjoy the first days chaos of an mmo. The crashing servers, overcamped mobs, frantic general chat, it's all part of the excitement.

Or maybe I'm just butthurt because I'm not in and unlikely to get in soon. Yeah, it's probably that.

You'll probably get in today. Is 1-2 days REALLY that critical given you'll be playing at least a few months?

It looks like they're really pushing to get the majority of players in tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't achieved until Friday or possibly Saturday at the latest, but it definitely looks like people are going to get more then 1 day at the moment, for whatever that's worth.

cackhyena

I never tried the beta even though I got in some time ago. I'm wondering if my computer will even run this thing well enough if I did decide to go for it. Seems I'm on the border with everything nowadays.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
3gb RAM
Radeon HD 4870

Hixx

Tomb of Freedon Nadd has 30 minute queue yet there are many servers with standard population. What the fuck BioWare?

I really, really hope they have a strict soft cap on population right now. If not, it'll get worse for ToFN considering a couple of foreign language communities are setting up on it.

Just got to level 4 Trooper. Game is a lot of fun and really needed to pull myself away just to get some stuff done.

The cinematic interactions and pieces really add a lot to the game. Now, I just need to find a way to Coruscant so I can join the GAF guild. :p

Cipherr

Jesus Christ the beta for this...... I played a hefty amount of hours in the two weekends I was in...But it ruined me. SWTOR isnt really my kind of MMO from what I experienced in the beta, but its most impressive feature: The voice acting in the quests is so fucking good.... I reactivated my WoW account to level a character to 85 and then deactivate because I always enjoyed questing in WoW. And I am not liking it at all. I fucking miss the VA, it makes it so much easier to give a fuck about what you are doing.

Sure, the mechanics of the quest types are similar, but real VA makes a big fucking difference. Its going to be incredibly hard to play another MMO without it now. Didnt expect something that I considered so minor to have such a substantial impact.

I never tried the beta even though I got in some time ago. I'm wondering if my computer will even run this thing well enough if I did decide to go for it. Seems I'm on the border with everything nowadays.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
3gb RAM
Radeon HD 4870

It depends on your definition of "well enough." I have a fairly similar system

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
2gb DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD 4870

I was generally getting around 50fps while out questing (most graphic settings on low, had texture and model detail on high though). Cities and loading really took a hit though. In cities and other crowded areas the game would seem to freeze for a couple of seconds while things loaded in. Changing phases took me almost three minutes to load into. You have more RAM than me so I'm guessing these issues would be less of a problem for you though.

Jesus Christ the beta for this...... I played a hefty amount of hours in the two weekends I was in...But it ruined me. SWTOR isnt really my kind of MMO from what I experienced in the beta, but its most impressive feature: The voice acting in the quests is so fucking good.... I reactivated my WoW account to level a character to 85 and then deactivate because I always enjoyed questing in WoW. And I am not liking it at all. I fucking miss the VA, it makes it so much easier to give a fuck about what you are doing.

Sure, the mechanics of the quest types are similar, but real VA makes a big fucking difference. Its going to be incredibly hard to play another MMO without it now. Didnt expect something that I considered so minor to have such a substantial impact.

Yep I deleted my 85 last year. I am done with that style. SWTOR is really onto something imho.

cackhyena

It depends on your definition of "well enough." I have a fairly similar system

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
2gb DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD 4870

I was generally getting around 50fps while out questing (most graphic settings on low, had texture and model detail on high though). Cities and loading really took a hit though. In cities and other crowded areas the game would seem to freeze for a couple of seconds while things loaded in. Changing phases took me almost three minutes to load into. You have more RAM than me so I'm guessing these issues would be less of a problem for you though.

Hmmm, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I can't tell if I'd fare better with those load times enough to actually make it worth it. Hopefully someone else can expound on this. I'm not even a SW fan, but for some reason this is compelling to me. I guess the glut of good console stuff kept me away. No option to upgrade right now, though, so if I can't manage it and have it look decent, I'd better just stay away.

TOR is WoW for people who don't want to admit that they want to play WoW.

Lot of people just don't want to play WoW, I know it's hard to understand, but many peole just are sick and tired of WoW after playing it for so many years. People are hungry for something different.

Top Bottom