• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Cathcart

Lot of people just don't want to play WoW, I know it's hard to understand, but many peole just are sick and tired of WoW after playing it for so many years. People are hungry for something different.
It's not very different, though. That's kind of my point. Like, when you get a quest and when you turn it in it's like KOTOR (and that's awesome), the other 99.9999999% of the game is WoW in space (also awesome).

Which is fine with me because I still like WoW and I'm looking forward to TOR. I'm just snarky about it :)

Aeana

I know there probably isn't a such thing as a "pure healer" in this game, but say I was playing Sith and I wanted to be as as awesome at healing as possible. Would that be Inquisitor/Sorcerer?

Allard

For those that haven't done it, I really recommend you do the flashpoints whenever you can. I didn't get to play around with it much during the beta weekend but I decided to work on it in earnest now that its released. Even the starter flashpoint Esseles really shows off the potential of the group questing system they have in. It was neat to hear the other players respond to the choices and it made my personal choices feel that much more interesting because you knew the other players were going to hear my character. Not to mention the flow was perfect, I felt like I was in a real battle or Star wars like situation. The only comment I have is... if you participate in a flashpoint, make sure you have plenty of time to complete it, Esseles took far longer then I was anticipating, and my group just completely eviscerated our enemies. (Got an awesome body piece for my Scoundrel Smuggler and heavy chest armor for my companion corso!)

Cathcart

I know there probably isn't a such thing as a "pure healer" in this game, but say I was playing Sith and I wanted to be as as awesome at healing as possible. Would that be Inquisitor/Sorcerer?

I think all of the healing classes are supposed to be equally capable. If they aren't right now it's just because Bioware has more tuning to do, but long term I think you probably just want to pick the healing class that seems the most fun for you to play. Same thing with tanks.

Emitan

They're all supposedly equally good but have different mechanics. Agents have to deal with a pool of 100 energy while Inquisitors have a larger Force pool.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I was made aware of this on the forums:

GamewizX said:
Are all your settings on low? Also, I noticed a strange glitch with myself and a few of my guild mates. Try maxing out all settings, then turning them all back down to low. I think when you first start the settings aren't accurate. For me, the shadows were actually at high quality even though they said low. Turned them all the way up then back down again, and my FPS jumped from the original 30-40fps to 50-60fps.

There may be hope for me yet...

JWong

Banned
It really is, it's just seems more fun to me then WOW, I dunno lol.

Well yeah, the companions make it better. It always feels like you're playing with someone, even if it's an NPC.

And the story parts make the quest feel more relevant so you feel like your questing has more purpose than it did in WoW.

Btw...
HOT STUFF COMING YOUR WAY!

markatisu

So I was made aware of this on the forums:

There may be hope for me yet...

Yeah when I started everything was auto set to low, I turned them all up to High and get 60-80fps. Something is wonky in the default settings so you are going to want to tweak them and see what works best for you

I would also turn shadows to low or off, I do not see much difference but it def helps overall if you are having graphic issues

JWong

Banned
I wish people did this, I ran ahead of a guy and when he got hit he just stood there and wouldnt pass me the ball... he said he didnt know he could.

Well, I think that's kind of the UI's fault. It just throws the "Pass Ball" button into an empty action bar. It's not very clear that there is one unless you figure it out.

Emitan

Well, I think that's kind of the UI's fault. It just throws the "Pass Ball" button into an empty action bar. It's not very clear that there is one unless you figure it out.

When I first played it the button was bound to my 0 key. Not exactly easy to pass like that. It needs a dedicated button or something.

Aeana

I can't believe how hot this game makes my GPU. Raised my fan threshold in Afterburner so it won't make me so nervous. (._. )

Mairu

From my time with the beta, it's really not. I'm still watching this thread and reading impressions.

It really is. Even abilities are direct copies from WoW with changed names or slightly changed numbers.

I enjoyed the game in beta and I'm really enjoying the early access period, but the gameplay is absolutely WoW. Yeah, we have space combat & companions, but the combat gameplay is world of warcraft.

Aeana

You have vsync on?

I don't have vsync checked in the game, but I always have D3DOverrider running to do vsync and triple buffering. It isn't going higher than 60 FPS or anything, and while I'm running around killing stuff it's hovering around 45 anyway.

Sent

I don't have vsync checked in the game, but I always have D3DOverrider running to do vsync and triple buffering. It isn't going higher than 60 FPS or anything, and while I'm running around killing stuff it's hovering around 45 anyway.

It does the same on 4890 and i5. My Room goes up 6-7 degree F lol

Sober

So I haven't really kept up to date with TOR for the longest time, I think the last time I bothered checking the site was when they revealed the Smuggler class.

Anyways, I've played WoW from the end of TBC to the start of Cata, so I don't know if I'm entirely ready to hop right into an MMO full force (like nerding out in the endgame and such) ... from those who were in the beta, does it hold up pretty well as a single player (or just with a few friends) experience?

ksimm

I've only every played Sith Inquisitor, until today I went with Sith Warrior and boy do I feel powerful! I love the fact that you can jump into a battle from what seems like half a mile away and then stun a group and vwhuuum vwhuuum all dead :D.

The quest line seems pretty cool too. What do people recommend as a specialization, Jug or Marauder?

Edit: Damn the queue for Tomb of Freedon Nadd is painful. :[

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I haven't really kept up to date with TOR for the longest time, I think the last time I bothered checking the site was when they revealed the Smuggler class.

Anyways, I've played WoW from the end of TBC to the start of Cata, so I don't know if I'm entirely ready to hop right into an MMO full force (like nerding out in the endgame and such) ... from those who were in the beta, does it hold up pretty well as a single player (or just with a few friends) experience?

Yup. That's probably it's strongest area, actually.

Einbroch

Banned
Alright guys, what do we need, a Scoundrel healer or a Vanguard tank? I have both level 14 and like both equally.

I think I've asked this like a hundred times but I don't care. I'm that indecisive that I need someone to make the decision for me.

I've only every played Sith Inquisitor, until today I went with Sith Warrior and boy do I feel powerful! I love the fact that you can jump into a battle from what seems like half a mile away and then stun a group and vwhuuum vwhuuum all dead :D.

The quest line seems pretty cool too. What do people recommend as a specialization, Jug or Marauder?

Shit what is at at now? Going to try to set up my remote log in tonight. >.<

JWong

Banned

I think Jug tank is a bit easier. I had to help a few marauder's along my questing during beta because they couldn't solo these elite mobs. Being a tank, I could easily destroy them even if it takes a bit longer.

ksimm

Shit what is at at now? Going to try to set up my remote log in tonight. >.<

A good 45 min + wait.

I think Jug tank is a bit easier. I had to help a few marauder's along my questing during beta because they couldn't solo these elite mobs. Being a tank, I could easily destroy them even if it takes a bit longer.
Jug it is then. I hated dying so much as Inquisitor, so the Warrior has been a refreshing change.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Hah, I did the opposite, I played a Sith Warrior in beta, went into Marauder, and loved it for the reason you say. Then in release (day 1 early access for me), I've played a Sith Inquisitor (on my way to Assassin) and I sorely miss being able to launch myself from way out and kill several enemies before they go "OMFG!?".

gatti-man

Hah, I did the opposite, I played a Sith Warrior in beta, went into Marauder, and loved it for the reason you say. Then in release (day 1 early access for me), I've played a Sith Inquisitor (on my way to Assassin) and I sorely miss being able to launch myself from way out and kill several enemies before they go "OMFG!?".

Lvl 11 bounty hunter and i feel the same way

Allard

Although I miss that from Jedi Knight. There is an awesome feeling on smuggler when you sticky bomb one guy, launch a grenande at another, see the guy with the sticky bomb explode twice thanks to that grenade, gun down the guy you knocked out with the grenande and see just his lone buddy wondering wtf happened to his crew. Its going to be awesome later on when I get more abilities that utilize my stealth aspect, I love the degree of crowd control mechanics that are available in this game, makes playing with that companion and in group play so much more interesting then just gunning down everything in sight. The main reason its so fun is that you can do all this stuff with little prep time.

Top Bottom