• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Alex

It's not very different, though. That's kind of my point. Like, when you get a quest and when you turn it in it's like KOTOR (and that's awesome), the other 99.9999999% of the game is WoW in space (also awesome).

Which is fine with me because I still like WoW and I'm looking forward to TOR. I'm just snarky about it :)

It's a traditional game in the genre, why some of you so hung up on this nonsense boggles me. You'd swear every game that came out was some bastion of originality, genre borrowing and reiteration didn't exist and that WoW created any of the shit it piggybacked off of Everquest and other games every year. WoW ALWAYS has its hands in the cookie jar, increasingly so each year, the shining feature of 4.3 is lifted wholesale from LOTRO. Is that a slight against it? No, that's how you make good damn games for the kind of people who DON'T buy glorified screensavers off of PSN.

For me, it boils down to the fact that the TOR beta was fun and after seven years of WoW and disagreeing with its direction I want to try something else, that's all there is to it thus far, this is such a weird hotbed of discussion, what people should be focused on is grilling Bioware to see how the game is going to flesh out in the future since that's what'll actually matter. Guild ships you say? wait, ULTIMA ONLINE DID GUILD HOUSING AND KEEPS FIRST.

Thoraxes

GG!

(As I said earlier, I already am in but I won't be able to play much the next two nights. I think your predicament is better than mine :( )

I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't become self-aware that I literally sit on the computer surfing the internet because I don't feel like playing any other games right now. (I am on break now)

I surfed the internet for 12 hours yesterday and then watched someone livestream FF XIII-2 for almost 8 hours.

Emitan

jtokW.png

I gues this is what happens when I finally get to play the full game.

I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't become self-aware that I literally sit on the computer surfing the internet because I don't feel like playing any other games right now. (I am on break now)

I surfed the internet for 12 hours yesterday and then watched someone livestream FF XIII-2 for almost 8 hours.

I actually had the same problem. I was playing Assassin's Creed: Rev and after 2 hours realized that I couldn't play it anymore given I had just finished brotherhood 2 months ago. Packaged it up immediately and sent it to amazon for a 2 dollar profit. I will play it again some other time. I have a PS3 and a few games that I got for black friday I would rather not open up until I move to my place next month. Ended up catching up on GiantBomb's CT endurance run last night while writing xmas cards for my co-workers.

I think this is the only game I want to play for a while too.

Hawk269

So what is the server for GAF Republic? Name of Guild and Who do I send a message too to gain access to the Guild?

Thanks....

Rolling a Jedi Consulor/Sage

So like....who be tank, who be DPS and who be healur?

Funny is I hate tanking in pretty much every MMO I've played but I actually don't mind it in TOR.

I hate healing though, good god props to people who love it.

Giolon

I'm starting to get a little worried about my Amazon order. The product page now says it ships tomorrow and if I ordered a new one it says "Buy with Release Date Shipping and get itFri, Dec 16th!" but my order (with Release Date Shipping) still says "Delivery on Dec 20".

Come on Amazon don't screw me over here!

Thoraxes

I'm starting to get a little worried about my Amazon order. The product page now says it ships tomorrow and if I ordered a new one it says "Buy with Release Date Shipping and get itFri, Dec 16th!" but my order (with Release Date Shipping) still says "Delivery on Dec 20".

Be patient, you must.

We'll be updating orders over the next two days and new estimated delivery times will appear in Your Account shortly after our updates are complete. These changes will be applied to your account automatically and there is no action needed on your part. Please see below for an update to estimated delivery times based on shipment method.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I ordered my CE the day it was available on Amazon.com. A couple months ago, I switched to release day shipping. I still have release date shipping, but I'm in your boat - it still shows the 20th. I'm not worried though, Amazon always comes through.

Anyway, I'm absolutely LOVING this game, and I'm thrilled and daunted by the fact that I have just very barely scratched the surface.

I'm playing Jedi Sentinel and am level 12 right now. Gonna take a break and spend some time with the GF. Will probably hop back on sometime tomorrow. I just want to hit level 20 or so by release; so I'm taking my time with it.

SOOO GOOOD

LowParry

Assassin tanking is awesome. And lightning. Lots of lightning. That is all. Hope everyone is having a fun time cause I sure am. :D

Milly79

How is the balance of classes? If/when I get the game I'm looking to roll a BH as that really, really caught my eye when I was looking over the classes. Hope it's not being too overused yet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Holy crap guys. I did the framerate trick (the game defaults to high settings even when it says low, you have to set everything to high then back to low to fix it) and it worked! My game is playable now!

Sure it's only 25fps now, but that looks great compared to 13.

Funny thing was I turned everything to high and the game ran exactly the same (13fps) as when everything was on low, so I knew something was up.

Yay!
3AQmK.gif

Wallach

In case people missed this from the official forums:

Stephen Reid said:
A quick update on today's invites, and a little preview of tomorrow.

Today, we invited people who had pre-ordered up to the very beginning of October (roughly). Tomorrow, we're going to be inviting the same number of people again; that will take us up to the last week or so of November. On Friday, we'll be inviting even more, and we'll give you an update on that tomorrow.

You'll see more servers coming online tomorrow, and almost certainly there will be some queuing. That was always expected. As a reminder, our plan here is to maintain healthy server populations post launch, and during the excitement of launch that will mean queues. That said, we'll be working hard to keep those queues reasonable.

We'll check back in tomorrow with another update.

So tomorrow will be up through the end of Nov., then Friday will likely be everyone else.

Hmmm, just got this email from Amazon. It says I'll now get it on the 16th!

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on July 21, 2011 (xxxxxxxxxxx). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

"Star Wars: The Old Republic Collector's Bundle"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 20, 2011
New estimated arrival date: December 16, 2011

Holy crap guys. I did the framerate trick (the game defaults to high settings even when it says low, you have to set everything to high then back to low to fix it) and it worked! My game is playable now!

Sure it's only 25fps now, but that looks great compared to 13.

Funny thing was I turned everything to high and the game ran exactly the same (13fps) as when everything was on low, so I knew something was up.

Yay!
3AQmK.gif

Did you try lowering the resolution again to see if it gives you a boost now?

Maybe I'm a tool but I feel a bit mislead. I just impulse bought this based on the news on their landing page.
Screen%20Shot%202011-12-14%20at%207.16.36%20PM.png

Yet, their activating it in chunks based on pre-order date? Could they not have made that a bit more obvious?

Strange, the security key page says the mobile authenticator is up now in the AppStore, but I can't find it.
Here you go bud. - *******
It's up, but the search catalog hasn't been updated yet probably. EDIT: Not in the US apparently

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did you try lowering the resolution again to see if it gives you a boost now?

Yeah change the resolution and turn off or down Shadows and you should see a boost

Actually, it was at 30+ fps now. I went to my native 1440x800 and turned shadows off and am getting 32 average with it spiking into the 50s and 60s in places.

Woooo! So glad I can keep playing. :p

Odd that the bug exists though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Kem0sabe

So i heard in the official forums that Tom of Freedom Nadd (GAF euro guild´s server) is some sort of unofficial Spannish server, how true is this?

Wallach

Update on the PvP "exploit":

Stephen Reid said:
This is not the full update, yet - I'd like Gabe Amatangelo to weigh in. There is one important thing to note, however.

No-one is 'exploiting' this aspect of the game. We have looked at the metrics across every server, and no-one is earning an unusual amount of experience from PvP Warzones. In fact, when looking at the top-level players in the entire game, they are gaining XP fastest from completing quests. Also as of this morning, our top player on all servers was not in the 30-40 level range. They probably are now, but then they've been playing a lot - and gaining the bulk of their XP from normal quests.

In other words, whoever started this rumor was either confused or deliberately trying to start confusion.

Like I said, I'm tracking down Gabe to talk more about how Warzone XP is allocated and the design decisions behind it. Right now, however, we do not see this as an exploit. In simple terms, a player can gain more XP in the same period of time from normal play than from doing this.

More when I track down Gabe and nail him to a keyboard.

Sounds like it was pretty overblown altogether.

bill0527

So i heard in the official forums that Tom of Freedom Nadd (GAF euro guild´s server) is some sort of unofficial Spannish server, how true is this?

I don't know about that, but I checked the euro server populations around 2pm CST in NA, which would be around prime time 8-9pm in euro land and that Tomb of Freedom Nadd server was full and had 25 minute queues. This after only 2 days of early access, before the retail version officially launches.

Giolon

It's available in... Slovenia...

Can you even buy this game in Slovenia?!

It's been available in Australia store since this morning. I'm guessing that the app has a "live" date set in the App Store for Dec 15. In all of these places it's already Thursday. Once we reach tomorrow here in the states, I expect it to show up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just ordered the CE on a whim. I've lost faith in Bioware, but we'll see how this turns out. Worse comes to worse I just sell it and get my money back.

Kem0sabe

I don't know about that, but I checked the euro server populations around 2pm CST in NA, which would be around prime time 8-9pm in euro land and that Tomb of Freedom Nadd server was full and had 25 minute queues. This after only 2 days of early access, before the retail version officially launches.

That just sucks all kinds of hairy wookie balls. :(

Would love to join GAF empire on Freedom Nadd, but i just hate queues and dont know if its worth it to even try to start a character in such an overpopulated server.

Top Bottom