• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

eznark

Banned
I'm super disappointed there wasn't some sort of cut scene break after you finish Act I. I was expecting something kind of flashy or at least the trademark scrolling text to transition to act II. Instead, the only reason I know I finished the first act is because it now says chapter 2 on the load screen.

missed opportunity

squidyj

So I've been trying to figure out what tank I want to play and the way it seems to break down is (as tank spec) as far as their defenses go

Juggernaught = Cooldowns (Endure Pain, Saber Ward, Invincible) and excellent regular mitigation.

Assassin = Self Healing, lowest mitigation overall, but self-healing to the max

Powertech = Top Mitigation, weaker cooldowns than Jugg.

Zafir

So I've been trying to figure out what tank I want to play and the way it seems to break down is (as tank spec) as far as their defenses go

Juggernaught = Cooldowns (Endure Pain, Saber Ward, Invincible) and excellent regular mitigation.

Juggernaught = Better Cooldowns but can't use them as often(Endure Pain, Saber Ward, Invincible) and better regular mitigation. Not so good with AoE threat.

Assassin = Self Healing, lowest mitigation overall, but self-healing to the max. Does more damage aka has more threat. Good at AoE threat.

Powertech = Slightly worse mitigation than juggs, weaker cooldowns but can use them far more often, best AoE threat, and also does more damage/has more threat.

frequency

I know we've been over this before in this thread but...

I played a bit more of my JK Guardian. I can't take it anymore. It's not that I feel weak or anything like that... it's the sheer amount of abilities. I was able to get my Gunslinger and Sage down to manageable levels but I don't know what abilities I can drop from the keybinds for my Guardian.

It's too much. I know I can use like q e r t and all that stuff, but ugh...

And beyond that, I'm constantly watching my skill bars for cooldowns. There's so many that I just can't get a feel for the class and the timings. I have to basically watch my bars non-stop :-\

Any tips?

gatti-man

I played a bit more of my JK Guardian. I can't take it anymore. It's not that I feel weak or anything like that... it's the sheer amount of abilities. I was able to get my Gunslinger and Sage down to manageable levels but I don't know what abilities I can drop from the keybinds for my Guardian.

And beyond that, I'm constantly watching my skill bars for cooldowns. There's so many that I just can't get a feel for the class and the timings. I have to basically watch my bars non-stop :-\

Any tips?

Buy a razer naga.

Zafir

Any tips?
I hate to say it but because we have more of a priority system than a rotation, there isn't much you can do about having to look at your bar a lot for cooldowns. Especially considering some of our skills have activation requirements, like retaliation.

As a tank, I use pretty much all the abilities in my bottom two bars at some point in a flashpoint, so I'm not sure whether cutting down on abilities is an option either, unless you are dps specced. Not to mention my side bars are nearly full with lesser used stuff, like stances, mount, items, relics, very situational abilities and so on(Though it's worth noting most of those aren't keybinded). If you're having trouble with keybinds, the best thing you can do is just remove the keybinds from abilities which you don't use as much, and rely on clicking for them. So like the defensive cooldowns which are on a 3min cooldown.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Assassin's more of an evasion tank as well, right?

squidyj

Juggernaught = Better Cooldowns but can't use them as often(Endure Pain, Saber Ward, Invincible) and better regular mitigation. Not so good with AoE threat.

Assassin = Self Healing, lowest mitigation overall, but self-healing to the max. Does more damage aka has more threat. Good at AoE threat.

Powertech = Slightly worse mitigation than juggs, weaker cooldowns but can use them far more often, best AoE threat, and also does more damage/has more threat.

How do you get best mitigation on Juggernaught? from the force scream shield?

Finally finished Act I tonight and picked my Legacy name. Woo!

Sith Inquisitor Spoiler
Okay, eating ghosts is way cooler than picking up fucking trinkets. Also pleasantly surprised at what happened to Zash though I'm kicking her ass outta Khem Val the first chance I get (if I get to). The cunt wanted to slip into me like a new pair of shoes. Not forgiving that shit.

SupaNaab

Any tips?

I have not played the the JK Guardian, but I am a (Shield) Powertech BH. No matter what game it is, when tanking you should always have a skill priority order. On trash pulls open with threat abilities. On bosses always use skills that add mitigation for you.

I would break down your skills into single target tanking, multi-target tanking, support, and passive utilities. You're single target and multi-target tanking skills should be the easiest to access on your skill bar. Support skills like OHSHIT buttons or any skill with a long cooldown are low priority. They can be on harder to reach keybinds or even clicked (clicking is not ideal but whatever). Passive Utilities are like buffs, your speeder your fleet pass, quick travel and so on. These skills I would just place on side bars on your UI since there is never a time when they need to be accessed immediately.

I personally use:
Keybind A and D to strafe left and right. If you need to turn you MUST use your mouse. You will have to rebind character sheet, find cover and reply.
TANKING SKILLS: 1 2 3 Q E R F C (also shift versions of these)
SUPPORT SKILLS: 4 5 MOUSEBUTTONS MIDDLEMOUSE (also shift versions of these)
PASSIVE UTILITIES: I click all of these on my sidebar (my mount and rest skill are keybound to a mouse button)

Heres a screenshot of my bars at the moment. It's not completely ideal but I keep a few spots open for when I can purchase my remaining skills. (Click for bigger)

squidyj

I'll make this a new post just in case, I pulled this data from torhead, I don't necessarily trust their numbers so I haven't posted the listed value for Dark Charge and we don't really know exactly how much shield you're getting from force scream. Some of the talent choices might not be particularly useful (e.g. parasitism) and in a real build would probably be swapped out for greater utility or threat generation.

Juggernaught

Damage Reduction:
+60% Armor
+6% defense
+6% defense from retaliation (not always up)
+19% shield chance
+6% damage reduction
+4% Elemental/Internal damage reduction
Moderate damage shield from casting force scream

Cooldowns (greater than 1m):
Endure Pain - +30% Health for 10 seconds, 90s cooldown
Blade Turning - 12 seconds of 25% less damage from force and tech, 2 seconds of +100% Defense followed by 10 seconds of +50% defense, 180s cooldown
Invincible - 40% damage reduction for 10 seconds, 120s cooldown
Unleash - Heals self for 10% of total health, CC breaker, 90s cooldown

Debuff:
-5% enemy accuracy for 18s, pbaoe, 15s cooldown

Powertech

Damage Reduction:
+76% armor
+9% damage reduction
+27% shield chance
+6% shield absorption
+3% endurance

Cooldowns:
Energy Shield - 25% less damage taken for 12 seconds, 120s cooldown
Kolto Overload - 15% health restored over 10 seconds, 120s cooldown
Oil Slick - 20% reduced accuracy for 18s, pbaoe, 60s cooldown

Debuffs:
-4% enemy damage for 15s, either single target or pbaoe

Assassin (note the greater armor increase here is obv due to the use of light armor)

Damage Reduction:
+170% Armor
+15% shield chance
+2% damage reduction
+9% internal/elemental damage reduction
+4% defense
+3% endurance
+base endurance based on Assassin's Training (not sure what the max rank is)
Dark Ward - +15% shield chance for 8 charges over 20s, 12s cooldown

Cooldowns:
Deflection - +50% defense for 12s, 120s cooldown
Force Shroud - Removes all hostile effects, increase force and tech resistance by 100% for 5 seconds, 45s cooldown
Overcharge Saber - 10% self heal on cast, lowers rate limit of Dark Charge to 3s, 120s cooldown

Self-Healing:
Dark Charge - 65% Chance on attacks to heal for x health, cannot occur more than once every 4.5s
Harnessed Darkness - Casting Shock adds a stack of Harnessed Darkness, at 3 stacks force lightning is uninterruptible heals for 3% health per tick
Parasitism - Critical hits from periodic damage restore 1% health

Debuff:
-5% damage for 15s, aoe, 7.5s cooldown
-5% accuracy for 18s, 15s cooldown

And that's it. It seems to me that the Juggernaught has the superior cooldowns bar none, the cooldown on the cooldowns doesn't seem to be any different from that of the Powertech. Without considering cooldowns the Jugg comes out at +12% defense, -3% damage reduction from kinetic/energy, +1% damage reduction from internal/elemental, -8% shield chance, -6% absorption and -16% armor but with a damage shield of unknown scaling and value.

I always got the same kind of lag when I got world of Warcraft achievements.

Yeah, me too.

I did Colicoid War Games with some guildies and that place is kind of fucked up. The turrets are horribly executed. I don't know what the hell they were thinking there. I just feel so helpless pointing the turret at mobs hoping it shoots. It's totally dumb. And I noticed it scales with either level or gear because our 50 tank was kicking ass while I, at 39, was getting owned. Then there's the switch section. I always wanted to see some puzzles implemented into instances and I applaud them for that, but the robots that knock you off the sides to your death are fucked up. And it's not enough that they are there, they also keep respawning. WTF? This place needs some reworking.

I also got to 40 on my Assassin and reached Dark IV. Now I'm a nearly white Darth Maul. I kind of look like I should be in ICP. Possible Clone Wars cartoon spoiler
I think Darth Maul ended up looking all white like that when they brought him back. I'm not sure, I haven't gotten to those episodes, but I've seen pictures.

Dina

SadrU.jpg

My new mount, dropped in Kaon under Siege.

Tess3ract

Banned
It's hard mode.

It drops from Soa and Kagarra too on normal. Kagarra on Hard drops the Destria Turbo or w/e (silver). From Hard Soa it drops the same car but in Red.

I did kagarra on hard, and didn't win the roll for the car, or loot except for a knight saber I couldn't use, so I redeemed the token and pulled the black/blue crystal out :D

Dina

It drops from the final boss in Kaon Hard Mode. The entire instance is pretty easy in HM, except for the optional bonus boss.

Tess3ract

Banned
The optional bonus boss isn't even that hard either.

CC each mob and single target dps them down, when he releases the second set of adds, cc them all and burn the boss down ignoring the adds.

Dina

The optional bonus boss isn't even that hard either.

CC each mob and single target dps them down, when he releases the second set of adds, cc them all and burn the boss down ignoring the adds.

Sure, but that required a specific group composition since not all classes have such a long CC timer. Also he does a lot of damage.

Sigfodr

Any tips?

I have not played the the JK Guardian, but I am a (Shield) Powertech BH. No matter what game it is, when tanking you should always have a skill priority order. On trash pulls open with threat abilities. On bosses always use skills that add mitigation for you.....
(snip)

use ESDF for movement imo. opens more keys

I've been using Taugrim's keybinds and movement, which was shared earlier by someone in this thread. I've modified it, but it works well after adapting. I played an alt to Act 1 to get used to it, and while I'm not optimized on my main yet, I still benefit from it. I especially love not using Shift on many frequently used abilities.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1567/duuude.png[IMG]

The Old Sorceror[/QUOTE]
im calling it right now but Sage/Sorc will never be nerfed. Bioware doesnt have the guts to nerf the classes that make up 70% of their playerbase. What happened to Operatives/Scoundrels will never happen to the classes that need it.

[quote="Ken, post: 34470459"]How do you walk forward?[/QUOTE]
In some games that setup is fine but in TOR with how auto-attacks work (especially ranged basic attacks) having a lack of a backpedal puts someone at a serious advantage.

Zafir

The optional boss also drops that tersa elite mount as well in Kaon Under Siege. It dropped for my group yesterday. I already had the 1.5mil mount so I passed on it for the person who didn't. Doesn't drop often though, that was our 3rd KuS HM run since it opened, and we hadn't seen it before.

CAW

From Jedi players experience, what is better for PvE leveling, 99% solo: Sentinel or Guardian?

This is an alt character and I've read that it can be frustrating but the class story of being a Jedi, just sounds fun. Plus I hope we get to hunt down some Sith. Looking for a change from playing as as Sith and Imperial character(s).

Does Empire Gaf actually do any Hard FP's or Operations?

The only thing I ever end up doing is PVP with Gyrs or helping low Gaf members run random FP's (usually Black talon)

Am I just on too early or are we not really doing this stuff?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
From Jedi players experience, what is better for PvE leveling, 99% solo: Sentinel or Guardian?

This is an alt character and I've read that it can be frustrating but the class story of being a Jedi, just sounds fun. Plus I hope we get to hunt down some Sith. Looking for a change from playing as as Sith and Imperial character(s).
In terms of ease i would guess Guardian. i have only played Sentinel and while i havent had issues leveling i imagine it would be easier as a tank spec.

Dorrin

Any tips?

I'm in the same boat as you, I get a Danny Glover I'm too old for this shit vibe once I get past a certain number of keys. What I've decided to do finally after many alts is focus on a Bounty Hunter/Commando, they have the fewest must use abilities that I've seen out of all the classes and require less keybinds.

So anyone find anything really OP or broken with Consulars/Inquisitors or does it just seem that way since it's easily the most played class in the game?

Patryn

I've been playing as a Guardian, doing all the solo quests and about half the heroics, just got to Act 2, and the only boss I had trouble with is the mid-Act 1 boss. That guy took me 3 tries, but once I got the system down, it wasn't too bad.

And I know that you get the healing companion early on in Act 2, so I've done the supposedly "hard" part, I think.

Just remember, before a major boss battle: Stim up, activate Call on the Force early, remember your damage mitigation activities, don't be afraid to let your companion take the threat for a while to mitigate the damage you'll take and try to interrupt any channeled attacks.

Oh, and if you're at the end of a fight and you desperately need healing, Enure can act as kind of a substitute, but don't be surprised if you die at the end of combat due to any lingering DOT abilities.

HBroward

Does Empire Gaf actually do any Hard FP's or Operations?

The only thing I ever end up doing is PVP with Gyrs or helping low Gaf members run random FP's (usually Black talon)

Am I just on too early or are we not really doing this stuff?

We've run every Hard mode flash, both normal ops, and did 4/5 on HM EV. I think we were going to start doing 16 man ops soon with all the fresh 50's we are getting.

We've run every Hard mode flash, both normal ops, and did 4/5 on HM EV. I think we were going to start doing 16 man ops soon with all the fresh 50's we are getting.

Must be the times im on then, could we put some notification on this thread some nights when we plan to arrange to do Op's/ take on world bosses etc, I would try and work my time out so I can join in if I know when they are happening, like make friday nights an Op's night, then saturday we can do hard FP's or something? (I know it can't be 100% rigid but some idea is nice)

frequency

Thanks for the keybind tips everyone. I will try the Taugrim thing, even though that is radically different from anything I'm even remotely used to.

My JK Guardian is one of my many alts so if I just can't get it, I'll stop playing it I guess. I used to be able to do stuff like this but yeah... "too old for this shit".
I might pick up and continue on my BH/Trooper for tanking as Dorrin suggested.

HBroward

Must be the times im on then, could we put some notification on this thread some nights when we plan to arrange to do Op's/ take on world bosses etc, I would try and work my time out so I can join in if I know when they are happening, like make friday nights an Op's night, then saturday we can do hard FP's or something? (I know it can't be 100% rigid but some idea is nice)

We've been running the normal ops Wed/Thursday, and the hard ops on Friday/Saturday. Just talk to Gyrs, and I'm sure he'll get you in the rotation.

CAW

Thanks for the info, Guardian it is!

Also, for those having issues with keybinds or too many abilities. I picked up a Razer Naga 'MMO mouse' a couple years ago for WoW and it's made a huge difference. On the keyboard I use 1-4, sometimes 5 and 6 but that's reaching. I also use q,e,r,f,c,z,x,v,g, and T. However, with the mouse I can use 1-12 using left control and then 1-12 again with alt. So there's an easy 38 keybinds.

It took a week or so to get used to 1-12 on the mouse using my thumb but now it's second nature. The mouse also comes with little tabs you can put on certain buttons to help 'train' your thumb and mind.

There's a new mouse Razer is working on, the Hex I think? But it only has 6 buttons I believe. That might be easier and you'd still get like 18 keybinds using control and alt plus the buttons.

Anyway, just figured I'd toss it out there.

Ken

So anyone find anything really OP or broken with Consulars/Inquisitors or does it just seem that way since it's easily the most played class in the game?

I just hate their Static Barrier in PVP. Every other person I run into seems to have it up, and it feels like it absorbs way too much damage. I wish they could give each skill different numbers for PVP and PVE.

Top Bottom