• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Zeal

Banned
They really need to simplify the talent trees. Some of the powers are the same thing with different names and others are borderline incomprehensible.

Izayoi

Banned
Do beta testers get any kind of bonus for beta testing or should I just create a new account because Bioware support is fucking terrible?

(Stupid security question problems.)

TheExodu5

Banned
So, since I rolled Sith Juggernaut, should I go tank spec off the bat? Since there's no dual spec, I figured it'd be a good idea. I'm just afraid of it slowing me down too much during solo play.

They really need to simplify the talent trees. Some of the powers are the same thing with different names and others are borderline incomprehensible.

Talent trees AND abilities.

I really have no clue what I'm doing. LOL
As a Sith Marauder I'm opening with the charge move, then the aoe(smash?), then the rage builder, then slash, then probably that channeled move if it's a boss/elite/toughguy. I'll throw in retaliate and the deflection thing from time to time. I always use the cloak thing on bosses because it reduces damage taken, 30 stacks of fury(?) I use berserk and just do my normal rotation. There's so much shit to do in battle and I'm only level 14. Haha. I wish there was something in-game telling me, hey you should concentrate on these attacks since you're a marauder, then I could figure out the rotation on my own.

I like having all these tools, don't get me wrong, but it's really overwhelming. Especially at such a low level.

As for talent trees, for one they should redo the artwork for the background and layout, that is awful and amateur looking. I also have no clue what to pick from the trees. I went with the first marauder tree which has a talent that lowers the cooldown of smash(good for aoe) and the other talent I picked gives you a 33% chance to do something when you cast slash, I think it's a rage refund chance or something.

I think they really need to learn something from wow in this regard. There is beauty in simplicity. A lot of these talents seem to be really just damage buffs or should be default class mechanics.

bill0527

It is out. Newegg has them. $10.00 more than the regular Naga. I ordered mine yesterday, got my email today that it has shipped already. SHould have it Tuesday, which will be nice cause that is when I pick up my CE from GameStop!

Damn :( I'd rather have the Star Wars Naga. I'm getting the regular Razer Naga for Christmas. I held the box in my hands yesterday when it got here from Amazon. I can't wait to try it out, although I'm sure I'll have to help a lot of help configuring it. I'm kind of a dumbass when it comes to these things, trying to build macros, and configure shit on a junior programmer level.

edit: I just checked Newegg and the Star Wars Razer is out of stock. Looks like a lot of people are gonna take this shit seriously, lol.

MGHA

Do beta testers get any kind of bonus for beta testing or should I just create a new account because Bioware support is fucking terrible?

I had the same problem, Had to make a new account AFTER I entered my pre order code, so im sitting here unable to play until the 20th :/ Even tho I pre ordered.

Parham

Banned

I had the same problem, Had to make a new account AFTER I entered my pre order code, so im sitting here unable to play until the 20th :/ Even tho I pre ordered.
If you have been locked out of your account, I would recommend resetting the password. That will allow you to login again without needing to answer the security question. While this solution won't fix your security question issues, it should let you play the game again.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So, since I rolled Sith Juggernaut, should I go tank spec off the bat? Since there's no dual spec, I figured it'd be a good idea. I'm just afraid of it slowing me down too much during solo play.

Since you basicly always have 2 player all the time if you go pure tank take a dsp or healer partner.

Just switched to pure def with my guard and I find I do more dmg because of the extra skill charges for tanking.

I'm only 21 atm so don't know if it holds out.

Izayoi

Banned
If you have been locked out of your account, I recommend resetting the password. That will allow you to login again without needing to answer the security question. While this solution won't fix your security question issues, it should let you play the game again.
I already did that, still stuck with a security question.

I just want to know if long-term beta testers get anything special. If not, I'll just make a new account.

Anyone?

I'm afraid to enter my keys, and with the talk of 6 hour phone queues on the forums I don't want to deal with that if I absolutely don't have to.

Not seen anything mentioned to be honest, odd tho, most of the time Beta testers get something, maybe even just a title would have been cool.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm disappointed that there is a rip/scuff on the outside of my CE in on of the corners. I'm still debating on opening it up or not, for those that got the CE, was it worth it?

daoster

Pre-order.

Corso is such a sweetheart :3

Corso is freaking annoying!

Especially when he keeps on doing his Scorpion "GET OVER HERE" move...even though I turned it off already...but nope...everytime I log back on...or he comes back from a mission...or if I'm AFK for too long, Corso just wants to play Scorpion...

gatti-man

I'm disappointed that there is a rip/scuff on the outside of my CE in on of the corners. I'm still debating on opening it up or not, for those that got the CE, was it worth it?

Yes and no. The Chronicles book is super awesome to me and some of the digital items are neat but it was crazy over priced unless you want the statue. If you are a die hard fan then yes but otherwise no.

The Jutty

If you want the Malgus statue then yeah, but those who preordered just for the CE store are going to be pretty disappointed imo.

Giolon

There is absolutely $70 of extra value in the box over the Digital Deluxe version. It's just a matter of whether or not they are things you want.

The Darth Malgus figure is surprisingly very high quality like all of Gentle Giant's other work. I thought it would be a shoddy piece of crap and planned to sell it on eBay, but it's not. I'll probably keep it now.

The journal of Jedi Master what's-his-whoever is hardcover, at least 40 pages, and contains full color illustrations. I think the text is just the narration from the timeline videos Bioware has been releasing for years.

Then there's the soundtrack, the security key, the discs come in a nice steelbook case, and the box is absolutely cool looking.

The CE vendor in-game sells a unique outfit per faction, and a couple of companion customization kits.

Most importantly of all, the Minimech CE (mouse droid) is hilariously awesome. It tickles my fancy to no end.

Guesong

Got to say I'm quite pleased with the game so far.

Barring a couple of class designs choices.

Finding it a bit ridiculous that I'll have to level a Sith Inquisitor and have the exact same class questline two times only because I love double-bladed lightsabers, and that I also want to heal with the class =/. BH or IA healer just don't mesh in my head.

Emitan

I have every datacron up through Taris except for the one that requires 2 people. I just want to be done with you, Taris! Let me leave!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
the battle system gets a lot more fun after you get your companion IMO. Feels more like kotor than an MMO. I love it.

God I had a hell of a marathon today. Game is quite remarkable. I won't be able to do many of these working full time, so I enjoyed it. See you tomorrow GAF-age.

Xiaoki

The talent trees and skill counts definitely need to be toned down. They're very bloated.

Blizzard got a lot of crap for how they changed WoWs talent trees in Cataclysm(and again for Mists of Pandaria) but after seeing The Old Republic's Wrath of the Lich King inspired talent trees it's easy to see that Blizzard is right.

The TOR talent trees arent ....bad, but Im not going to get excited over spending 2 talent points to get 2% crit.

Blizzard got a lot of crap for how they changed WoWs talent trees in Cataclysm(and again for Mists of Pandaria) but after seeing The Old Republic's Wrath of the Lich King inspired talent trees it's easy to see that Blizzard is right.

The TOR talent trees arent ....bad, but Im not going to get excited over spending 2 talent points to get 2% crit.

this so damn much

broz0rs

I heard from a friend that Sentinels are currently the worst class and have piss poor DPS, even lower than healing classes. Any thoughts on this matter?

bill0527

Game worth a purchase a change of scenery from WoW?

Edit: I like WoW. Just want to try something different.

Yes. Oh god...100% yes.

Game play is similar, but you have a whole different universe to play in. I actually think the game play is better. The mechanics of combat are the same - all revolves around managing cool downs and rotations, but the main difference is that this game is entirely story driven with excellent voice work and dialogue with every quest.

Moaradin

No they don't. There's a lot of wasted talents in there, just like in pre-Cata WoW.

I'm looking at my Medic tree and they sure do. I love talents that change core fundamental abilities. I already got talents that add a Tactical Advantage proc system on my first tier.

Damn, I have 48 hours of playtime and I'm only level 18. I also have 8 hours of total queue time.

Zeal

Banned
I don't know about anyone else, but there are certain random areas, especially some of the caves in Korriban, where my framerate will absolutely bottom out, and I have a good system, too.

The performance overall in this game is just not very consistent.

Moaradin

I had a weird issue like that as well. The trick to fixing it is to set your texture quality to low, then put it back on high. Pretty weird bug but hopefully they fix it soon.

Xander51

I don't know about anyone else, but there are certain random areas, especially some of the caves in Korriban, where my framerate will absolutely bottom out, and I have a good system, too.

The performance overall in this game is just not very consistent.

I noticed the same thing. I think it's a particular fog effect they're using in some of the caves.

Fstop7, I'm not mad at you, I kind of agree. This game flows so well.

Sent

How is Gunslinger for PvP? I dont want to be limited to cover. Kinda leaning Scoundrel at this point

Gunslinger/Sniper (what I am) is somewhat limited to cover. Most of your abilities will need it, but you can still be very mobile you just have to be smart about your positioning.

Lilsnubby

Yup, this is a good mmo alright. Look up at the clock and wonder where the hell the last 5 hours went

Yup totally into it, the deeper the story goes the better it gets. This is it for me, there's just so much too it. I played SI and BH both to 10. SI female VA might be the best ever in a Bioware game, just amazing.

Top Bottom