• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TimeKillr

The Studio Edition is just a Collector's Edition with a different plastic outer sheath.

It's not signed by everyone, it's just a printed signature of the two docs.

Here, look:

ce_and_studio.jpg

Yeah that's what he showed me. I dunno, it's still a nice collectible (and useless since I already have an account lol).

Sethos

Banned
So I'm getting my friend to pick up an extra copy when he's going to town today, then he'll send me the code.

What was the consensus on the settings, some settings didn't work properly or was it AA that was broken?

JonCha

I'll admit, watching Star Wars Galaxies hyped me for a Star Wars MMO. Guess that's going to be the case for a lot of people.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Got the game yesterday and am loving it. Made a very overweight Chiss Imperial Agent. His belly makes for an unmissable target in PvP but its worth it. ive been fooling around with the healing and ran into the problem others have mentioned about health bars on team mates not updating.

Anyway, the game has definitely met my expectations. Anyone that was saying that the presentation of the story and dialogue choices (albeit limited) dont matter and that the games quests were just like Wow were wrong. The game feels like a KotOR game much more than it does an MMO.

What benefit is there to getting your affection up with a companion? Saw mention that you get benefits for doing so but never saw exact reasons outside of possible romance options.

Like In Dragon Age you would unlock new ability with that companion and such, is there something like that here? Been avoiding gifting stuff to companions

HBroward

The higher the affection the higher the rate of success on missions, and you get better rewards. Also, you unlock background conversations and quests from your companions.

Been up and running for the past week. Fern's name in-game is Villeon.

Send a whisper to Verigan (that's me) and I'll get you in. I'm on right now.

Yes light side is the canon ending to both KOTOR I.

I can't stand how my character looks. I threw him together quickly and after watching him in cut scenes I got irritated. I'm going to re-roll and then I'll shoot you or fernboi an in game tell for another invite.

Will either of you be on tonight? I'll probably get it done around 6pm eastern.

Interfectum

I love the battle system in this game. You are shredding through enemies like you would in Dragon Age or Mass Effect instead of taking on one or two enemies at a time, resting up, rinse repeat. My level 14 Juggernaut is more badass than my level 85 Death Knight haha.

I love the battle system in this game. You are shredding through enemies like you would in Dragon Age or Mass Effect instead of taking on one or two enemies at a time, resting up, rinse repeat. My level 14 Juggernaut is more badass than my level 85 Death Knight haha.

Yes the companion helps of course, but you really have a bad ass feel to your character in this instead of every fight being a long ass one on one duel like most MMO fights

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think I may hop in when it's cheap enough. Or wait on Guild Wars 2. I like reading and watching stuff though but not 60 dollars ><

Just too broke to even think about buying.

Interfectum

Yes the companion helps of course, but you really have a bad ass feel to your character in this instead of every fight being a long ass one on one duel like most MMO fights

Even in PvP you feel like a badass... or at least the juggernaut does. I love watching smugglers/soldiers try to run away from me as I leap right on top of their head. I don't even care if I lose the fight because it's so fun to watch.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Loving this game even though I am only level 6. I am Liliana on the Gaf Empire guild for anyone wondering, good chatting with you all last night.

Unfortunately my copy arrives Friday at my apartment and I am going home to the parents tonight. No SWTOR until next weekend!

Patryn

I have to say that my brief jaunt with my Consular alt has made me really appreciate my Commando that much more.

That's something just satisfying about mowing down fools with a mortar volley followed by a Hail of Bolts.

Do kind of wish I could have taken Vanguard out for a spin to give it a whirl, but then I remember that I really wanted healing.

Except that I haven't quite gotten the hang of MMO healing. The Medical Droid skill seems too little, too late.

BTW, is there a way to have two hotbars for my character up at one time? I need to be able to access more skills!

Also: Thanks to the Republic guild for dealing with MMO newbie questions!

HBroward

BTW, is there a way to have two hotbars for my character up at one time? I need to be able to access more skills!

The small plus symbol on the bar adds another at the bottom, and you can add skill bars to the left and right side of the screen in the preferences as well.

Interfectum

Also: Thanks to the Republic guild for dealing with MMO newbie questions!

There is a little "+" symbol on the hotbar that adds another one right blow that. You can also turn on hotbars on the left and right parts of the screen for more. I usually reserve those for less used functions like 30 minute buffs, recalling back to base, pets, etc.

Darklord

Banned
Wait, I just got to some of Revans stuff and he ended up
killing both sides? Sith AND Jedi? wtf.
. I've only seen a tiny bit of it but it seems strange.

Wait, I just got to some of Revans stuff and he ended up
killing both sides? Sith AND Jedi? wtf.

Well remember that Revan
was a Sith who killed Jedi and then back to a Jedi who killed Sith, he was of both sides and experienced both. Afterwards he straddled the line between the two, some would say he became grey. They are also kind of making stuff up or not sure on things as the Revanites don't know truly all that happened with Revan which is also covered in the Revan novel. They are not saying that Revan became someone who killed both at the same time as some kind of rogue.

Blitzzz

are the Republic/Empire classes direct mirrors of each other? down to the skill tree and skills? just wondering if I can follow sith side guides

are the Republic/Empire classes direct mirrors of each other? down to the skill tree and skills? just wondering if I can follow sith side guides

They are mirrored. Differences are mainly quest/story progression stuff, but abilities are the same, just visually different.

Tacitus_

Caved in and bought it >_>

Any last recommendations on choosing between Assassin and Juggernaut? I played a arms/prot warrior in WoW so from what I've read, Juggernaut would be a pretty nice match, but OTOH, change can be nice.

frequency

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I skimmed through most of the thread and couldn't find anything.

Do you need to care about the Star Wars universe to be able to enjoy this game? I'm not a fan of the setting, so I thought I would skip this but I really really need my MMO fix and none of the existing ones are doing it for me anymore.

For those that are high enough level to know, is this game solo-able up to level 50? I’m 16 now and outside of grouping for a few Heroic missions and Flashpoints, I’m enjoying playing through the game with just my companion. Just wanted to know if it eventually hits a wall where you’re basically forced to start grouping up, I hope not.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I skimmed through most of the thread and couldn't find anything.

Do you need to care about the Star Wars universe to be able to enjoy this game? I'm not a fan of the setting, so I thought I would skip this but I really really need my MMO fix and none of the existing ones are doing it for me anymore.

It really helps, story and setting is a big part of the game. A person might enjoy it, but if you don't like star wars or have familiarity to the KOTOR games you miss out on alot. If you don't hate SW, you might get some enjoyment out of it though on its own, hard to say though as many of us playing are fans

LowParry

For those that are high enough level to know, is this game solo-able up to level 50? I&#8217;m 16 now and outside of grouping for a few Heroic missions and Flashpoints, I&#8217;m enjoying playing through the game with just my companion. Just wanted to know if it eventually hits a wall where you&#8217;re basically forced to start grouping up, I hope not.

Yes you can. The bonus missions will help you out if you don't want to do any of the 2 or 4 Heroic quests. As well as the space missions and if you're feeling like killing people, a few pvp matches here and there wouldn't hurt either. The gear you get at 20 and 40 are pretty good to pick up with badges.

Yes you can. The bonus missions will help you out if you don't want to do any of the 2 or 4 Heroic quests.

Awesome, looking forward to it. It's cool to feel connected to a larger community of people, but with the way the world and storyline is set up, it feels like it’s almost set up for solo play.

But Flashpoints are still a blast to run through with friends. Lovin' this game.

Can't wait to start playing. Joined NA GAF Empire back when it started. I enjoyed beta quite a bit when I got to play it.

I won't get to play until next week sometime. Planning to get the game for Christmas and if I don't for some reason I will pick it up anyways.

Interfectum

Ignore that it's Star Wars and just know that you are getting into an MMO that has a literal shit ton of back story to draw from. The problem with games like WoW is when they run out of shit to do they turn to pop culture references or pure nonsense (panda bear monks). I don't imagine The Old Republic will run into those problems anytime soon.

Tacitus_

Yes, but you got to wait in Queue to do so. Best roll on a server that is heavy or standard at this point as those Full right now are going to have crazy queues later on especially during prime time.

Well all my guildmates rolled on The Red Eclipse, which is full so I'ld better get used to queues :p

Sethos

Banned
Ignore that it's Star Wars and just know that you are getting into an MMO that has a literal shit ton of back story to draw from. The problem with games like WoW is when they run out of shit to do they turn to pop culture references or pure nonsense (panda bear monks). I don't imagine The Old Republic will run into those problems anytime soon.

That's one of the reason why I'm getting slightly annoyed with WoW. I love the game, the gameplay and it basically taught me a lot about the underlying lore as I had no knowledge of Warcraft before I began. It's just that, lately the game has been turning into a running joke. Every other quest is a forum reference and even meme material. There's no seriousness to it whatsoever any more. Not saying you can't crack a joke or have some funny elements, like it did in the old days but now it is turning into a complete piss-take - Even quests with holograms of undeads with air guitars riding a laser shooting shark ... Eugh.

At least this seems to take itself serious and it has tons and tons of lore to take from.

Tacitus_

The rocker riding a shark with laser beams was a joke they put in the game during cata beta when there were complaints on the forums that the game wasn't "epic enough"

Anyway, they need to fire one of their web site techs, this should not be visible to me:
Code:
{"status":true,"data":"\u003cselect name=\"state\" class=\"form-select required regDropdown\" id=\"edit-state\" --options were here---"}

Sethos

Banned
The rocker riding a shark with laser beams was a joke they put in the game during cata beta when there were complaints on the forums that the game wasn't "epic enough"

I wasn't asking for the reason it was there, I'm stating it's pathetic and that is basically what the entire game turned into.

It's still there by the way.

It's just an example of the many ways the game has become a circus. Go to town and it's like some crazy ren faire from the future with tons of silly all over the place. People on motorcycles and other goofy mounts, everyone has silly pets, circus clown outfits with all kinds of crazy effects going off on and just everything else they stuffed into the game over the years.

Interfectum

That's one of the reason why I'm getting slightly annoyed with WoW. I love the game, the gameplay and it basically taught me a lot about the underlying lore as I had no knowledge of Warcraft before I began. It's just that, lately the game has been turning into a running joke. Every other quest is a forum reference and even meme material. There's no seriousness to it whatsoever any more. Not saying you can't crack a joke or have some funny elements, like it did in the old days but now it is turning into a complete piss-take - Even quests with holograms of undeads with air guitars riding a laser shooting shark ... Eugh.

At least this seems to take itself serious and it has tons and tons of lore to take from.

Right. Even Warcraft 3 had pop culture references and humor but it was nowhere near as silly as WoW has become. It's near impossible to get into the Warcraft lore nowadays because it's all a joke (literally). It's refreshing having an MMO with serious, fairly well written plot lines to pull from.

frequency

It really helps, story and setting is a big part of the game. A person might enjoy it, but if you don't like star wars or have familiarity to the KOTOR games you miss out on alot. If you don't hate SW, you might get some enjoyment out of it though on its own, hard to say though as many of us playing are fans

Thanks. I'll look up some stuff about the game mechanics to determine if it sounds enjoyable enough. I've played both KOTOR and KOTOR2 and enjoyed them, but not to the extent that other people seem to.

That was a major turn off for me in WoW. It just got more ridiculous as time went on. Setting-wise, it was already beginning to lose me with the dumb Paris Hilton jokes and stuff. It completely lost me when there were helicopters and motorcycles in my fantasy MMO.

I've played KOTOR/2 and have watched the movies, I was never really drawn into the universe. It didn't have any sort of impact on me and nothing really stuck with me so I wouldn't get any of the references or recognize any of the locations or characters or anything. So I'm not sure if it means anything to me that there's a ton of stuff to draw from.

I am easily drawn into game worlds though, so maybe this would get me into the universe in ways KOTOR couldn't. I just want to be sure this is a good game, regardless of the license.

so would this game be playable (even with minimal settings) on my work laptop?

Lenovo x220
Core i5-2419m 2.3ghz
4gb RAM
Win7 64
Intel integrated graphics

I have a very competent gaming PC, but for an MMO, need to be able to take it with me if I'm going to pay a monthly fee.

I like the, well, original Star Wars universe, but I'm not into what it has become since The Phantom Menace. That said, this could be about Fraggles in Space for all I care, the quest narrative presentation is what makes the quest system more tolerable than WoW for me. I could give a shit less about lore in WoW or Rift either (I liked EQ1's lore though), and I'm well aware that not wanting to read quest text is my problem, but this really works a lot better for me after looking at engineering plans all day.

so would this game be playable (even with minimal settings) on my work laptop?

Lenovo x220
Core i5-2419m 2.3ghz
4gb RAM
Win7 64
Intel integrated graphics

I have a very competent gaming PC, but for an MMO, need to be able to take it with me if I'm going to pay a monthly fee.

If I can get this running passably on an Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 graphics card, I'm sure anything is possible. :p

Top Bottom