• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

quaere

so would this game be playable (even with minimal settings) on my work laptop?

Lenovo x220
Core i5-2419m 2.3ghz
4gb RAM
Win7 64
Intel integrated graphics

I have a very competent gaming PC, but for an MMO, need to be able to take it with me if I'm going to pay a monthly fee.
Intel HD, Intel HD 2000, or Intel HD 3000? Only the last one is playable.

elwes

Really enjoying the game so far. So much to do.

I want to do some flashpoints/Heroic missions, but I was having issues joining a few because it said I was in a different phase and no amount of resetting would work. Anybody run into this issue?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Star Wars Galaxies?

http://www.giantbomb.com/there-is-another-the-end-of-star-wars-galaxies-part-01/17-5439/
http://www.giantbomb.com/there-is-another-the-end-of-star-wars-galaxies-part-02/17-5440/

So I started playing an IA and I love the play style. Thinking about going sniper. Any snipers here, how're you guys liking it so far?
I went sniper as my guild had a few healers already. Loving it so far!

Really enjoying the game so far. So much to do.

I want to do some flashpoints/Heroic missions, but I was having issues joining a few because it said I was in a different phase and no amount of resetting would work. Anybody run into this issue?
Seems like some missions only become available after you get far enough in your class missions.

Venfayth

woah woah woah buddy

Did some quests before work today and happy to see that Kira has a backstory. Hope my other companions do, too.

Wow crazy that EA/Bioware actually went through with it and is limited the number of copy. So psyched that my 2010 13"mbp is acutally able to run this, guess I'll be playing this break after all :)

And o god do I miss my parents' internet, downloaded the client at 2.5mb/sec

So does it seem like healer is really in heavy demand everywhere? It seems there are tanks galore and never have trouble getting those in groups. Trying to figure if I should go Commando or Vanguard with my trooper alt

OTIX

Queues have gotten a lot better. My server used to have long queues at all times but now I just logged straight in at 17:00, no queue at all.

So does it seem like healer is really in heavy demand everywhere? It seems there are tanks galore and never have trouble getting those in groups. Trying to figure if I should go Commando or Vanguard with my trooper alt

I did a flashpoint with 4 sages yesterday so I wouldn't say its everywhere.

Dunlop

I find there are tons of healers on my server when I PVP (after enraging for the umteenth time at the fucking broken raid frames). I actually wish I specced Powertech as I think I have seen 1 since I started playing. All the tanks I have grouped with are Sith

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

HEALERS will always be in demand. You might see a bunch of sages/sorcs now... but most are really just mages at heart and will not be looking to heal unless absolutely forced.

TimeKillr

Lol this is gonna be fun when flashpoints actually require thought to go through (AKA not the first one).

Tanking in SWTOR is no joke and is MUCH more involved than in WoW.

Just to give you a little idea - in WoW, threat building is at 500% now. Meaning that every point of damage you do is equal to 5 times the threat (and that's not even counting the high-threat abilities).

In TOR, the threat modifier is set to 150% while in tanking stances. Classes like Guardians have only 2 AOE abilities (one of which is on a 12 second cooldown), absolutely NO snap threat (there's ONE whole ability that does "increased threat", which puts its threshold at 200%, but even then it's low damage), a sunder that is not spammable AND which doesn't do increased threat, no dots to keep up threat on multiple targets, etc. Seriously, I'll have to read up on the other classes, but you can't play this as you can in WoW where tanking is an afterthought (the only places where tanking ability matters in WoW is in heroics - non-heroics has trivial tanking). DPS needs to watch out what they're attacking, because getting threat back on a mob that DPS has gotten aggro on requires (from theorycrafting anyway) a full 4-6 GCDs if the absurdly long CD Taunt is down. And if you're doing that, then guess what? Your primary target has a pretty big chance of losing aggro to you.

Fun :) I actually love that style of tanking (it's basically vanilla and TBC WoW tanking, where you couldn't just drop in, spam your AOEs and bam, you have instant perfect AOE tanking where NOTHING will ever get off you).

Add to that the fact that Guardians (this is what I play, so it's the class I know the most about) has a very high amount of abilities to actively use in combat (3 focus generators, about 5 to 6 focus dumpers, 3 defensive cooldowns, 2 taunts, Riposte, etc) which makes hotbars a total mess and requiring extensive use of hotkeys and combinations (I already map all of my stuff to 1 to 4 and alt-1 to 4 and I'm full at like 14!) is insane. I really, REALLY wish I could do macros in this game, because I could easily fix this and get everything easily manageable into much less buttons.... For example, I have 2 main focus builders - Sundering Strike and Strike. Sundering Strike is on a 6 second cooldown, while Strike has no cooldown. I need to be spamming the living hell out of those 2 abilities to generate Focus (at 14, I get a tanking stance that generates one focus point every 6 seconds that can be talented in the late 30s to 3 seconds) but right now they have to be on two separate buttons, which takes up a ton of bar space... If I could macro to have Sundering Strike when it's up and Strike when the Sunder is down, it would save me a LOT of bar space. :(

Sethos

Banned
Really, no In-game AA settings?

Even the forced settings look shit ( Don't work? ). This is 32x CSAA and 8X Supersample ... My ass it is!

( Random char, just to test )

frequency

Lol this is gonna be fun when flashpoints actually require thought to go through (AKA not the first one).

Just to give you a little idea - in WoW, threat building is at 500% now. Meaning that every point of damage you do is equal to 5 times the threat (and that's not even counting the high-threat abilities).

In TOR, the threat modifier is set to 150% while in tanking stances. Classes like Guardians have only 2 AOE abilities (one of which is on a 12 second cooldown), absolutely NO snap threat (there's ONE whole ability that does "increased threat", which puts its threshold at 200%, but even then it's low damage), a sunder that is not spammable AND which doesn't do increased threat, no dots to keep up threat on multiple targets, etc. Seriously, I'll have to read up on the other classes, but you can't play this as you can in WoW where tanking is an afterthought (the only places where tanking ability matters in WoW is in heroics - non-heroics has trivial tanking). DPS needs to watch out what they're attacking, because getting threat back on a mob that DPS has gotten aggro on requires (from theorycrafting anyway) a full 4-6 GCDs if the absurdly long CD Taunt is down. And if you're doing that, then guess what? Your primary target has a pretty big chance of losing aggro to you.

Fun :) I actually love that style of tanking (it's basically vanilla and TBC WoW tanking, where you couldn't just drop in, spam your AOEs and bam, you have instant perfect AOE tanking where NOTHING will ever get off you).

Add to that the fact that Guardians (this is what I play, so it's the class I know the most about) has a very high amount of abilities to actively use in combat (3 focus generators, about 5 to 6 focus dumpers, 3 defensive cooldowns, 2 taunts, Riposte, etc) which makes hotbars a total mess and requiring extensive use of hotkeys and combinations (I already map all of my stuff to 1 to 4 and alt-1 to 4 and I'm full at like 14!) is insane. I really, REALLY wish I could do macros in this game, because I could easily fix this and get everything easily manageable into much less buttons.... For example, I have 2 main focus builders - Sundering Strike and Strike. Sundering Strike is on a 6 second cooldown, while Strike has no cooldown. I need to be spamming the living hell out of those 2 abilities to generate Focus (at 14, I get a tanking stance that generates one focus point every 6 seconds that can be talented in the late 30s to 3 seconds) but right now they have to be on two separate buttons, which takes up a ton of bar space... If I could macro to have Sundering Strike when it's up and Strike when the Sunder is down, it would save me a LOT of bar space. :(

I just wanted to say that this post sold me on this game.

Even the forced settings look shit ( Don't work? ). This is 32x CSAA and 8X Supersample ... My ass it is!

That looks awful. I use the ini edit to force it like in the OP and it looks much much better than that

commish

Mine definitely does not look like that.

moop1167

Anyone know of any good nvidia inspector settings to make the graphics look better? I did all the .ini tweaks, but the game looks only decent. I tried forcing transparency supersampling, but it brought my game to a crawl, even on SLI GTX 580's. There doesn't seem to be an AA compatibility setting in the profile.

border

Has anyone been able to pick up the Collector's Edition off the shelf (no pre-order) at a store?

I think they may have pulled a Blizzard with this one, where everyone thinks the Collector's Edition is gonna be rare but they actually overprinted it pretty significantly. It was difficult to find before the launch, but now I'm seeing it in stock at Gamestop, WalMart, Best Buy. For months Amazon maintained that their allotment of copies was sold out, yet all of a sudden it's suddenly in stock there as well. If anyone here bought a copy for Craigslist/eBay resale, I would recommend you dump it soon before the hype wears off. I think the $150 pricetag may result in a lot of overstock as well -- people who were probably okay with the price in July might be bailing on their pre-orders now that it's nearly the end of December and they've spent a ton of their disposable income on Christmas gifts.

I want to go pick up a Collector's Edition from a brick and mortar store -- if I order online I might not get it before the end of the grace period. Annoying thing is that I have $40 credit at Gamestop, but they are the most likely one to give me the "We're all out, you should have pre-ordered, blah blah blah" speech. Can someone please tell me what the special in-game vendor has for CE owners?

Has anyone been able to pick up the Collector's Edition off the shelf (no pre-order) at a store?

I think they may have pulled a Blizzard with this one, where everyone thinks the Collector's Edition is gonna be rare but they actually overprinted it pretty significantly. It was difficult to find before the launch, but now I'm seeing it in stock at Gamestop, WalMart, Best Buy. For months Amazon maintained that their allotment of copies was sold out, yet all of a sudden it's suddenly in stock there as well. If anyone here bought a copy for Craigslist/eBay resale, I would recommend you dump it soon before the hype wears off.

I want to go pick up a copy from a brick and mortar store -- if I order online I might not get it before the end of the grace period.

Happens all the time with CE's. Preorder allocations sell out, more eventually get allocated. Then you always have bunch of people who will cancel their preorders, and brick and mortar stores that get CE's that don't get preordered like Best Buy which often has CE's in stock for some time

border

I was actually at Best Buy last month and they had a 5-foot high stack of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Collector's Editions. Yes, the game from a year ago. I'm sure they must be feeling great about that, given that it's over a year old and there's even more copies of the CE version of Assassin's Creed Revelations, which came out just last month.

I just thought I'd give people here a heads-up, since some people in the previous thread had thought it was a good idea to buy a speculative copy of the CE ("Ohhhh, the WoW CE is worth hundreds now!"). If you're sitting on merchandise, you should probably move it quick.

commish

I think they may have pulled a Blizzard with this one, where everyone thinks the Collector's Edition is gonna be rare but they actually overprinted it pretty significantly. It was difficult to find before the launch, but now I'm seeing it in stock at Gamestop, WalMart, Best Buy. For months Amazon maintained that their allotment of copies was sold out, yet all of a sudden it's suddenly in stock there as well. If anyone here bought a copy for Craigslist/eBay resale, I would recommend you dump it soon before the hype wears off. I think the $150 pricetag may result in a lot of overstock as well -- people who were probably okay with the price in July might be bailing on their pre-orders now that it's nearly the end of December and they've spent a ton of their disposable income on Christmas gifts.

I want to go pick up a Collector's Edition from a brick and mortar store -- if I order online I might not get it before the end of the grace period. Annoying thing is that I have $40 credit at Gamestop, but they are the most likely one to give me the "We're all out, you should have pre-ordered, blah blah blah" speech. Can someone please tell me what the special in-game vendor has for CE owners?

You could walk in stores and get original launch copies of WoW right after launch as well. I don't think this CE will be as valuable (unopened original WoW CEs are a couple thousand dollars I believe), but I can almost assure you this CE will be worth more than it cost after a while, if only because the SW collector nerds will want the figure. Of course, I haven't ever sold any CEs nor do I intend to start, but I know some do...

DrBo42

As a fellow Guardian I really appreciate the time you put into this post. Minor correction, you have 3 focus builders. Force leap to initiate the fight, which I either immediately dump into the AOE (sweep? slash? can't remember) or start with a fully talented sunder. Throw in riposte every time it's up, sunder every time it's up, strike in-between. I never really have focus problems but I can already see the potential difficulty down the road with holding aggression.

markatisu

You could walk in stores and get original launch copies of WoW right after launch as well. I don't think this CE will be as valuable (unopened original WoW CEs are a couple thousand dollars I believe), but I can almost assure you this CE will be worth more than it cost after a while, if only because the SW collector nerds will want the figure. Of course, I haven't ever sold any CEs nor do I intend to start, but I know some do...

I would say you will be able to sell the CE for at least $100-300 over what you paid in about a year, if for nothing else then to piece out the insides. I did that with the Halo Reach CE when GS was clearing them out and easily got almost the retail cost of the CE for the codes inside.

The Statue and the Book will go for a decent amount

Last I looked the statues are going for about $50 average on ebay auctions, ton of them up thoug, if you plan to resell, keep em for a while before attempting to sell. I don't care for Gentle Giant statues, but others of similar size when limited and sold out tend to go for alot on ebay.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Is there any reason to get the CE outside of being a major MMO/Star Wars fan? It seems like the CE has very little to offer compared to price.

I can't stand how my character looks. I threw him together quickly and after watching him in cut scenes I got irritated. I'm going to re-roll and then I'll shoot you or fernboi an in game tell for another invite.

Will either of you be on tonight? I'll probably get it done around 6pm eastern.
I will be on tonight. If both of us aren't then find someone in the guild and ask them if there's an officer on.

sangreal

Is there any reason to get the CE outside of being a major MMO/Star Wars fan? It seems like the CE has very little to offer compared to price.

Not really. Most the ingame items are not worth taking out of your mailbox. The mount is cool, but it just saves you an insignificant 8k credits and only lasts 15 levels.

erragal

As a fellow Guardian I really appreciate the time you put into this post. Minor correction, you have 3 focus builders. Force leap to initiate the fight, which I either immediately dump into the AOE (sweep? slash? can't remember) or start with a fully talented sunder. Throw in riposte every time it's up, sunder every time it's up, strike in-between. I never really have focus problems but I can already see the potential difficulty down the road with holding aggression.

You get the LS equivalent of Saber Throw, Force Choke, and Enrage to manage your focus/rage. Tank tree for Warrior/Guardian is the most resource efficient tree and I'm convinced you can construct a DPS build out of it that's better than the DPS trees because of that. This is a good thing because you better be able to do great DPS if you're going to tank, but once the community at large starts catching wind of this the forum outburst will probably result in nerfs.

border

I don't think this CE will be as valuable (unopened original WoW CEs are a couple thousand dollars I believe), but I can almost assure you this CE will be worth more than it cost after a while, if only because the SW collector nerds will want the figure. Of course, I haven't ever sold any CEs nor do I intend to start, but I know some do...

I've always gotten burned by CEs. I don't think I've ever lost money, but I've held on for a long ass time only to see a profit of $20-50. It's just not worth it to have $150 tied up for literally years so that you can make so little.

With SWTOR I think the problem is that they have just made soooooo many of them. WoW's CE was legitimately limited.

I guess the real determining factor will be how much longevity the game has, and if people are still nuts for it years and years down the line. If you don't mind gambling for so long, then go ahdead and gamble. Anyone looking to flip the CE quick should do it post-haste though.

If your not a SW fan probably not. If you preordered it you would have gotten a free in game mount.

What was the pre-order mount? I actually registered a CE pre-order, but never read about a mount that goes with it.

TimeKillr

So technically we have 4 focus builders (I always forget Force Leap because it's more of an opener, it's not really viable during fights) - Leap, Sunder, Strike, Combat Focus. (Combat Focus gets overlooked but it SHOULD always be used on cooldown). There's a few more but they have longer cooldowns even (Saber Throw, Force Stasis)

Force Sweep is super important because it debuffs, so even on single-target pulls you should use it to keep the debuff up. Half talented Sunder (the +1 focus one) is more important than the adding 2 stacks, especially early on, since everything dies too quickly to benefit from 5 stacks anyway.

If you're playing with AoE-heavy classes, holding aggro is a pain, because you have to be even more aggressive with your AOE capabilities and start to do some target switching, just in case...

DrBo42

So technically we have 4 focus builders (I always forget Force Leap because it's more of an opener, it's not really viable during fights) - Leap, Sunder, Strike, Combat Focus. (Combat Focus gets overlooked but it SHOULD always be used on cooldown). There's a few more but they have longer cooldowns even (Saber Throw, Force Stasis)

Force Sweep is super important because it debuffs, so even on single-target pulls you should use it to keep the debuff up. Half talented Sunder (the +1 focus one) is more important than the adding 2 stacks, especially early on, since everything dies too quickly to benefit from 5 stacks anyway.

If you're playing with AoE-heavy classes, holding aggro is a pain, because you have to be even more aggressive with your AOE capabilities and start to do some target switching, just in case...

Yeah I'm not high enough to have put the sunder talents from the other tree in. I've gone 2 into sweep, 2 into sunder, 1 into the leap talent, and 1 into the 2% defense increase in soresu or whatever. What's combat focus? I don't think I have that yet (lvl 15).

Not really. Most the ingame items are not worth taking out of your mailbox. The mount is cool, but it just saves you an insignificant 8k credits and only lasts 15 levels.

I agree. I'm not happy with the in game stuff. It's really underwhelming.

The statue and the book are nice, though.

Justin

I have not played any games on my PC in years and was wondering if this would run ok on a AMD X2 4600+, GeForce 7600 GT and 2 gigs of memory?

Top Bottom