• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

I just played star battle again for the first time in a while. I like the new void ray unit; right click on enemy, win game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Decided to play brutal now that I've completed the game on normal and hard...

A couple of hours later, I'm on the final mission (did all the missions on Brutal plus the hard specific missions) and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Is this shitty shit even possible to do?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yoshichan said:

A couple of hours later, I'm on the final mission (did all the missions on Brutal plus the hard specific missions) and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Please tell me you did the Shatter the Sky mission? Otherwise...may god have mercy on your soul.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yoshichan said:

did you remove the air? Its not too bad, just alooooot of siege tanks

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Actually the funny part is this, first I did the "eliminate nydus" so that I could complete the air part at least once in my life.

So I did that... and uh, no. No, that's not going to happen. What the fuck were they thinking? Air part is NOT possible on brutal, even with the mind controlling device.

I loaded up a previous save and got to choose again (and AGAIN complete the same mission) and now I get to fight the ground units at least...

Any tips? Marines/Medics/Siege Tanks and Banshees for the Nydus?

Corran Horn

Siege tanks, load and loads of siege tanks where the mercenaries thing is. Destroy it and load them up there. Then on high ground i put those things to slow down the zerg as well as throw alot of builds infront of my tanks so they wont get hurt as much.

Once Kerrigan starts to come out, get 20 or so marines to throw at her.

Yoshichan

Corran Horn said:
where the mercenaries thing is.
Hmm, the mercenaries building? Isn't it all the way to the back near the minerals?

Corran Horn

Merc building is on the lower ground right near the artifact.

There are plenty of youtube videos showing how people did it.

Yoshichan

Corran Horn said:
Merc building is on the lower ground right near the artifact.

There are plenty of youtube videos showing how people did it.
Thanks man, will try it out once we whipe enough in WoW...

nilbog21

Banned
Yoshichan said:

haha it was actually really easy once i got science vessells. but yes it is ridiculous t_t

Vaporak

I don't know how it's possible to get to high diamond, play over 1000 games, and still think it's a good idea to Marine+SCV all in a Protoss at the NINE minute mark. The ways of Battlenet will forever be a mystery to me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Vaporak said:
I don't know how it's possible to get to high diamond, play over 1000 games, and still think it's a good idea to Marine+SCV all in a Protoss at the NINE minute mark. The ways of Battlenet will forever be a mystery to me.

Playing on a friends account? Off-racing? Drunk?

Plenty of possibilities.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
FromTheFuture said:
Hey Panda (or any Zerg, for that matter), have you done any experimenting with mass Nydus worms? After Day[9]'s Funday Monday about it, I decided to try it out for fun. Seemed kind of interesting, and a tad harder to control than I first expected. Wanted to know if any Zerg mains have tried implementing it into their play around here?

Mass nydus in anything but late game is pretty risky, as others have said. You figure it's 200/network + 100/worm, so at least 600 gas to use them both once. That's a lot of gas. Useful in late game situations for constant, global harass, but I can't say that I've tried it too extensively.

As Panda mentioned, I've been working on a build lately that uses a roach/hydra push with a nydus worm for fast reinforcements if I want/need them. Allows me to drive the nail home if I see that I'm winning the fight, or pull out and save my army if I'm losing. It also lets me send a small force back home if I get b/ded or dropped on while I'm pushing. Yes, it does delay hive/advanced gas tech, but with the spent gas you should have some extra minerals, so you can get an extra hatch/expand up and some more drones.

Mess around with it, I've found it to be very useful.

I still haven't had a lot of time to put into this game. I think I have finally reached 200 matches. Still stuck in bronze tho ffs. It says I am rank 3 but that has not changed in the last 20 games or so.

I really don't understand some people in this game though. I know I am shit at the game but the choices I see some teammates make pisses me off so much.

Is there really any plus to hoarding one type of unit? Last night I had a match where one of the opponents rushed us with DTs early. Took out one of my expansions and harassed another one. I was kinda screwed and got supply blocked pretty bad so wasn't in much of a position to get detection units, etc.

The terran guy on our side for some reason just continued making battle-cruisers. He was hoarding like 30 of them. AND ONLY THAT.

I asked him why not get a raven for detection and he just ignored me. Told me to deal with it myself.

needless to say his entire base got destroyed by DTs while his BCs cruised overhead completely useless.

I just see so many players hoarding one type of unit and sticking to that. Maybe two. I can't count how many times I have won PvP because the guy had way more units than me (usually stalkers) and I managed to take him out with a decent Zeal/stalker/sentry mix. Last night I just started saying fuck it and turning my main into a mothership just to crush them harder.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fanboi said:
:lol

Well, to be fair when you go roach/hydra on 2 bases with 2.5 drones... you are in for a raping.
ill give you the na guide to pandas protoss:
1). is panda protoss?
2). he's going blink stalker.

Corran Horn said:
Siege tanks, load and loads of siege tanks where the mercenaries thing is. Destroy it and load them up there. Then on high ground i put those things to slow down the zerg as well as throw alot of builds infront of my tanks so they wont get hurt as much.

Once Kerrigan starts to come out, get 20 or so marines to throw at her.

I had mostly had siege tanks with buildings in front of them (planetary fortresses if you can).

I then built a large fleet of banshees which flew around and demolised the nydus canals very quickly. They also brought kerrigan down really fast i just had to make sure she didn't target them (or be quick to move out the way).

I thought it was pretty easy.

fanboi

Banned
Pandaman said:
ill give you the na guide to pandas protoss:
1). is panda protoss?
2). he's going blink stalker.

Haha...

Well my strat was to be aggressive, the problem is that I usually never ever is aggressive, but only macro so I forgot to build drones ^^... but rematch tnight maybe.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fanboi said:
Haha...

Well my strat was to be aggressive, the problem is that I usually never ever is aggressive, but only macro so I forgot to build drones ^^... but rematch tnight maybe.
sure.

and hopefully i can run into meeru too, want to practice a new zvt build.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
sry meeru im tucked into bed watching streams atm. :p

lzgamer: how long do infested terrans survive?
mrbitter: i dunno, give me a second.... 30 seconds.
lzgamer: wow, thats longer than i would have thought.
mrbitter: ...
mbitter: how long do autoturrets survive for?

:lol

so I decided to fuck with the metagame a little and go speedling/muta against toss and then later transition into hydra/ultra from 5 bases.

it works perfectly. the neverending harass kept the toss on 2 bases, I kept sniping and denying his expansions and he couldn't leave his base. YES.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
so I decided to fuck with the metagame a little and go speedling/muta against toss and then later transition into hydra/ultra from 5 bases.

it works perfectly. the neverending harass kept the toss on 2 bases, I kept sniping and denying his expansions and he couldn't leave his base. YES.
hydra ultra works weirdly well because of how slow the hydras are. for once ultras are actually infront tanking through forcefields.

Pandaman said:
hydra ultra works weirdly well because of how slow the hydras are. for once ultras are actually infront tanking through forcefields.

that was the idea. plus, you need something that can shoot air, obviously, in case the toss decides to herp-derp into void-rays to deal with your ultras, and hydras are obviously more gas-effective than Mutas.

ultron87

Let's talk about the new GSL maps!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=189181

Crevasse has the easiest natural to defend ever:

J3b0D.jpg

It's like the delta quadrant one, but on high ground and there aren't any rocks.

In general it seems like a number of these maps are essentially saying, "hey, we'd really like to see people take thirds more often."

I think we can all agree this is a good thing.

Yoshichan

I like the new map!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
Does anyone here think Mutas are OP on large maps?
nobody worth listening too.

crevasse gets me all hot and sweaty.

that map as a late game with two viable golds per player. so macro it burns.

Modification on Blizzard maps for the league
GomTV modified Metalopolis, Xel'Naga Caverns, Lost Temple for their league. Bloking the entrance with two bunkers is no longer possible.
SO SWEATY

Q8D3vil

Aylinato said:
not if there are 3 phoenixs on the field, or 1 thor
lets say there is 15-20 muta on the map and you want to move out to attack, it will way easier for zerg to take this chance to do counter attack with muta and bring them back to the battle when your army arrive at the zerg base :mad:

plus, 5 magic box muta easily kill 1 thor.
thor is really slow too, you will need one at every expansion.

Façade

Neo Member
mescalineeyes said:
Does anyone here think Mutas are OP on large maps?

No as in general harassment is more effective on larger maps, making drops and proxy pylons more effective for terran and protoss respectively.

I think these maps will encourage more of what people want to see, macro games with great harassment and multi-tasking. I like the look of all 4 of the custom maps gsl has adopted, and I'm also impressed that they have taken the initiative to make improvements to the better of the current blizzard maps.

TheExodu5

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
lets say there is 15-20 muta on the map and you want to move out to attack, it will way easier for zerg to take this chance to do counter attack with muta and bring them back to the battle when your army arrive at the zerg base :mad:

plus, 5 magic box muta easily kill 1 thor.
thor is really slow too, you will need one at every expansion.

The point is that mutas are awful in head to head fights. Their power lies in keeping the opponent contained. Same goes with phoenixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom