• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part about team games is when you get eliminated and your partner turns on unit control sharing. I love doing fancy micro with just a handful of hellions or 5 mutas or something. One time I got a speedling up to like 22 kills.

Aylinato

Aquavelvaman said:
The best part about team games is when you get eliminated and your partner turns on unit control sharing. I love doing fancy micro with just a handful of hellions or 5 mutas or something. One time I got a speedling up to 22 kills.

yea, it's insane with me in 3v3, as my two 3v3 partners are both high diamond and masters league(so I get to micro the armies, which I am really good with micro because of custom games). They macro it up and I destroy our opponents. They also love using my units because I am very good at getting blink/chargelots/storm/whatever tech upgrade protoss has that they want me to use.

zlatko

Banned
Ikuu said:
Why would they balance the game around team games?

I didn't say that. I'm wondering why they haven't made tweaks for team games in general? The fact is it's way too easy in team games to win with cheese and rush.

I think the fixes for team games could be as simple as map tweaks. Maybe make the paths to the team bases could be blocked off with rocks that need to be taken down first.

I'm not well versed enough in the game what would work or not, but since most of Gaf is diamond league what are some things that COULD make team games cheese proof? Heck, maybe team games could have their own set of rules Blizzard could implement that only effect team games, but don't do anything to effect 1v1's.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
I didn't say that. I'm wondering why they haven't made tweaks for team games in general? The fact is it's way too easy in team games to win with cheese and rush.

I think the fixes for team games could be as simple as map tweaks. Maybe make the paths to the team bases could be blocked off with rocks that need to be taken down first.

I'm not well versed enough in the game what would work or not, but since most of Gaf is diamond league what are some things that COULD make team games cheese proof? Heck, maybe team games could have their own set of rules Blizzard could implement that only effect team games, but don't do anything to effect 1v1's.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm confused why Blizzard seems to have forgotten what a large segment of the player base plays primarily 2v2 and 3v3 ladder games, and yet the majority of their updates and blog posts concern balance changes affecting the simple conflict of one player against another with little consideration to how two races could work best in concert.

Though I do believe mulitplayer could stand some unique balancing, I think the main issue lies with the ladder maps, mainly, the ones where the teams are separated by a relatively large gap that makes assisting your ally against cheese next to impossible (see: War Zone, Arid Wastes, Monolyth Ridge). We need more maps like Discord IV and High Orbit, where you share a plateau and one or two small ramps that can be easily defended against cheese or quick Zealot rushes.

Meeru

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm confused why Blizzard seems to have forgotten what a large segment of the player base plays primarily 2v2 and 3v3 ladder games, and yet the majority of their updates and blog posts concern balance changes affecting the simple conflict of one player against another with little consideration to how two races could work best in concert.

Though I do believe mulitplayer could stand some unique balancing, I think the main issue lies with the ladder maps, mainly, the ones where the teams are separated by a relatively large gap that makes assisting your ally against cheese next to impossible (see: War Zone, Arid Wastes, Monolyth Ridge). We need more maps like Discord IV and High Orbit, where you share a plateau and one or two small ramps that can be easily defended against cheese or quick Zealot rushes.
...have you ever seen a korean tourney thats 2v2?

twofold

Starcraft 2 is designed as a competitive 1v1 game, and that's Blizzard's focus. They don't want to screw up 1v1s by balancing around team games.

As for why they don't implement a seperate rule set - that's obvious. They don't want fragmentation of the game rules between the various game styles.

Why?

They don't want people to have to learn the same game multiple times. It'd be way too confusing if units behaved differently/cost different amounts/required different amounts of tech in 2v2 compared to 1v1.

Won

Blizzard does patch things for team games, if something goes way out of hand. Anything beyond that is usually not worth it.

ahoyhoy said:

Interesting, on TL you see some elitist types complaining that Blizzard only cares about the casual gamer $$ and isn't balancing the game well enough for the pros. So they're walking a tightrope really. As you say probably the best way to do these things is through maps rather than changing unit strengths

Cheeto

You guys forget shit too fast.... do we not remember the nerf that made reapers basically useless? That was done primarily because of team games.

zlatko

Banned
Stevie Gerrard said:
Interesting, on TL you see some elitist types complaining that Blizzard only cares about the casual gamer $$ and isn't balancing the game well enough for the pros. So they're walking a tightrope really. As you say probably the best way to do these things is through maps rather than changing unit strengths

That argument is retarded to be honest. Is there a massive casual gamer market with PC gaming rigs who want to play RTS games? If Blizzard had ported the game to consoles then MAYBE that argument could be valid.

I agree with what others have posted that the best fix to making team games more prevalent is with changes to the map pool/tweaks to maps that exist.

Also, some of the comments seem like with SC2 it's either 1v1 or team games, and the focus should only be towards 1v1, so that team game players can go fuck off. The idea that a developer can't make a game work right and be balanced in all its game modes is ridiculous. I would like to really think that 1v1 can remain as awesome as it is and continue to receive its patches/updates while still giving time/love to team games as well.

It's a shame that in the current state telling someone you are diamond in 3v3 is the equal to a bronze in most eyes. It shouldn't be this way.

V_Arnold

Cheeto said:
You guys forget shit too fast.... do we not remember the nerf that made reapers basically useless? That was done primarily because of team games.

Also, reapers destoryed a race alone. Just in case you forgot about that. In 1v1, also.

twofold

Cheeto said:

Speed reapers were essentially nullified by 4 range roaches anyway.

It wasn't that big of a change for 1v1 at all.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
twofold said:
Speed reapers were essentially nullified by 4 range roaches anyway.

It wasn't that big of a change for 1v1 at all.
well, it still wouldnt have been fun to have to go roach when you scout techlab, made it easy for terran to pressure zergs techtree from minute 1.

ultron87

I wonder if there is some reaper strategy that is still viable. Kind of a shame that the unit has been reduced to being occasionally built once in a game for scouting purposes.

Cheeto

V_Arnold said:
Also, reapers destoryed a race alone. Just in case you forgot about that. In 1v1, also.
The 1v1 strat was a pain in the ass sure, but it wasn't as completely broken as the 2v2 strat... besides the 5-rax reaper wasn't even around long enough for zergs to really think about countering it...

zlatko

Banned
ultron87 said:
I wonder if there is some reaper strategy that is still viable. Kind of a shame that the unit has been reduced to being occasionally built once in a game for scouting purposes.

I imagine it would work with some sort of Siege tank play on maps where you can harass cliffs, so you could use the reapers to give you vision of high ground. Not sure what else they could be useful for lol.

YakiSOBA

Question about 2rax FE for Terrans, do you still do it if you know your opponent is going early aggression (4gate, 3rax, fast roaches, etc)?

I've been trying to 2rax FE with bunkers, but I always seem to pull my scv's too late to repair. My understanding is that if you try to FE against faster builds, you'll always need to use scv's to repair the initial push?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Cheeto said:
The 1v1 strat was a pain in the ass sure, but it wasn't as completely broken as the 2v2 strat... besides the 5-rax reaper wasn't even around long enough for zergs to really think about countering it...
countering it with what exactly?

a176

Banned
Cheeto said:

the problem with 5rr was that reapers were much faster than roaches and could kite them with ease. blizzard attempted to fix with this roach range 4 which helped for sure, but reapers bonus versus buildings was also a pain in the ass. you could find an empty cliff, run it, nuke the roach warren in a couple hits and then run out. it wouldnt matter to many terrans if they lost an entire army of reapers after said attack, as the would eventually transition into standard mm and then roll your base.

this strat is the clutch example of 'pro' vs 'casual' balancing. you could watch idras stream and be amazed at his capability to defend against the strat, but the rest of us just dont have the ability to mimic that kind of micro and macro and it became incredibly frustrating.

Q8D3vil

YakiSOBA said:
Question about 2rax FE for Terrans, do you still do it if you know your opponent is going early aggression (4gate, 3rax, fast roaches, etc)?

I've been trying to 2rax FE with bunkers, but I always seem to pull my scv's too late to repair. My understanding is that if you try to FE against faster builds, you'll always need to use scv's to repair the initial push?
depend on the map, maps like lost temple or shakura will be way easier to defend than xelnaga.
i really need to experiment it in tvt.
but against tvp in lost temple i find that having 2/3 bunkers is unbreakable by any kind of rush.

Jeff-DSA

I think the most annoying thing is the backdoor rocks on Blistering Sands. If you're playing against Protoss, you know he's going to 4 gate that thing. I hate how far it is between the two entrances for the person in the base but it's easy as can be to run between for the dickhead Protoss player rushing both ends.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valor: i dont really know which builds to open on which maps...
mrbitter: i... i dont understand the problem.
mrbitter: you said you like speedling expand right?
valor: yea...
mrbitter: then problem solved.

i've got such a moe~ crush on flabulous lately.

I think one of the biggest problems with team games is the lack of scouting, which is what really makes cheese so terribly effective. Even during in-house GAF 2v2 and 3v3 games nobody really scouts very well.

Additionally, in a team game, its impossible to go for a particular build that can counter everything the terran/toss/zerg combo on the other team will throw at you. Add in a lack of cohesion with your allies and you end up losing badly against a team that chooses a better unit composition.

The worst maps are the ones with one ally separated from the others. It usually comes down to which team can rush the others exposed ally first, and the maps are often designed in such a way that the attack route from the enemies is shorter than the defend route to the allies.

My 3v3 Random league is bronze level (I threw my placements on purpose). I pretty much steamroll the opponents 1v3 while my allies do retarded stuff. Normally when I lose its because the other team either has someone else who also doesn't belong in bronze or because they win the rock/paper/scissors and mass the right combo of units.

Slavik81

Neogaf SC2 tourney is moving up in the world. We someone managed to make a Korean news feed!

I was doing a google search for an unrelated GAF thread when I came across this:
pandaVsSlavikKoreanNews.png

The page is php, so the actual page with that link is gone. And the entire news feed is probably generated by robots.

But still!
It was probably all the moe.

Accidentus

Neo Member
zlatko said:
This daily is off incredibly epic. They are always good, but this one is off to new levels of win.

The comment about idra/artosis Collosi QQing, and then he looks at the camera like "come on bro....srsly?"

Edit: OMG Proxy Engineering Bay. LMAO
I think I hurt myself from laughter that game. I recommend everyone watch this daily for this game solely.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
He's finally pointed out that Queens are good.
Laddering going to be so much harder now.

It's not like a 175hp mineral only unit with no weakness that is a spell caster, takes no larva, tanks, heals, has great AA, and can be made all the time is bad.

On the other hand I'm very excited to see a good player actually use them well.

I tried mass queens once but they all got feedbacked. Couldn't spend the energy fast enough unless I was planting random tumors just to keep it low.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hazaro said:
He's finally pointed out that Queens are good.
Laddering going to be so much harder now.

It's not like a 175hp mineral only unit with no weakness that is a spell caster, takes no larva, tanks, heals, has great AA, and can be made all the time is bad.

On the other hand I'm very excited to see a good player actually use them well.
I was always trying to figure that out when he first said it. Im like having too much larva isnt bad...Sure maybe delay the queen to fit something else in but lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Aquavelvaman said:
I tried mass queens once but they all got feedbacked. Couldn't spend the energy fast enough unless I was planting random tumors just to keep it low.
That's pretty hilarious.

*And now I bet we will see Mass Queen + Spines for massive econ -> Harass with Overseer

Zerg confirmed for imba just as planned (esp. with new map pool).

Mass Queens is viable until people decide to actually incorporate scouting information into their builds. But until then, holy fuck is it ever viable.

Aylinato

It's ok, HT hard counter those queens, so I'm not worried =)

Terran could build one, or even two ghosts! unimaginable!

::EDIT:: panda where were u last night, corran showed up, but no panda! (course I have a fever and a terrible cough so I had to go to bed early)

Cheeto

Aylinato said:
It's ok, HT hard counter those queens, so I'm not worried =)

Terran could build one, or even two ghosts! unimaginable!

::EDIT:: panda where were u last night, corran showed up, but no panda! (course I have a fever and a terrible cough so I had to go to bed early)
FOOL! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH GAS GHOSTS COST? AND IT SLOWS MARINE PRODUCTION!!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I love Day[9] taking pot shots at Idra and Artosis' new show :lol.

Cheeto

PhoenixDark said:
lol what did he say
Basically something like, "look at this asshole protoss, he's building a pylon on 9 and he'll most likely end up with that unbalanced colossy unit that artosis and idra hate so much" --cut to day9, srsly? face

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom