• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q8D3vil

Pandaman said:
dem triple starports with 2 reactors. >________________________________>
in the heat of the battle the screen just freezes then when it got back you see void ray ripping through your workers then it lag again and you don't know what the fuck is happening.
anyway done with the game for now.

Vaporak

(._.) said:
I'm guessing when I encounter a Protoss player that builds a forge and fast expands to his natural I should then fast expand myself and not over commit to taking him out? Not fully sure since once both are up and somewhat established their army's get pretty big. Got beat by two high silver Protoss players who fast expanded using cannons. One messaged me later and told me he has beaten diamond players with this strategy. umm, is this a good strategy?

What race are you? Defensive forge fast expands aren't a good strategy in any match up but how you should respond to it is different depending on your race.

Vaporak

(._.) said:
Protoss. I decided to go ahead and ask TL since I was told they have some great posters there that give nice feedback.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=192188

If you're Protoss just expand without cannons, without a stalker they can't deny you scouting of what they're doing. Their warpgate research will also be late so you'll easily have the army advantage, just take map control and get colloxen and an army before they do; or if they're light on the cannons do a delayed warpgate rush and just crush them.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
in the heat of the battle the screen just freezes then when it got back you see void ray ripping through your workers then it lag again and you don't know what the fuck is happening.
anyway done with the game for now.
you tried to fight off a 4gate w/ proxy starport with two production facilities while you dumped money into worthless tech.

but yeah, lag made your 4 marines vs 2 voids slightly less effective. so much manner from euers. :\

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
(._.) said:
I'm guessing when I encounter a Protoss player that builds a forge and fast expands to his natural I should then fast expand myself and not over commit to taking him out? Not fully sure since once both are up and somewhat established their army's get pretty big. Got beat by two high silver Protoss players who fast expanded using cannons. One messaged me later and told me he has beaten diamond players with this strategy. umm, is this a good strategy?
Last time I saw a fast expand with cannons, I went 3 gate robo and got a warp prism out asap. filled up the warp prism with 4 zealots, went around the cannons protecting his expansion/ramp and took out his Main. By then I had him pinned down to his expo which he held for a bit, but eventually my income and gateway units took him out.

(._.)

Banned
Thanks a lot guys for the help! After rewatching the replays and taking in the advice I feel prepared now if I encounter it again.

zlatko

Banned
(._.) said:
Thanks a lot guys for the help! After rewatching the replays and taking in the advice I feel prepared now if I encounter it again.

My advice, for what it is worth is since you are new to the game to really tighten up the basics.

You'd be surprised how much this helps you more than anything else. Getting good with hot keys, never scrolling, trying to perfectly execute your start build order, and always keeping your money low. I gave fair time to all of these things to get to silver from bronze. I'm going to be after this SC2 tourney transitioning to maining zerg or terran, because Protoss just isn't very fun to play for me. While I have far less problems playing them it just is making the game "meh for me. I spent most of this week in fact just messing around in 3v3's with Zerg since I don't care about my 3v3 win/loss in order to up my Zerg game.

#1 advice though is practice.

Slavik81

(._.) said:
If he builds a forge + 2 cannons at his front, that's 450 minerals he's spent on static defense.

That means if you don't attack their defenses they spent 450 on worthless junk so, you can instantly take an expansion and still do whatever you would normally do anyways.

I wouldn't FE against another Protoss player, though. The long range on stalkers makes it easier for protoss to find holes in static defenses.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Keikaku: Zerg is really, really, REALLY hard for me to learn
Playing like a bronze leaguer. Wouldn't be surprised if I was demoted down to Bronze :(
Just played a guy who is, no joke, 3-7-literally just out of placement and I took 38 minutes to beat him
It wasn't even close
Still ashamed T_T
FML, going to be
*bed

i know someone whose giving lessons for low low moe :p

Q8D3vil

Pandaman said:
you tried to fight off a 4gate w/ proxy starport with two production facilities while you dumped money into worthless tech.

but yeah, lag made your 4 marines vs 2 voids slightly less effective. so much manner from euers. :\
i didn't say i would have won if thee wasn't any lag, but i was building 2 extra rax then lag then void ray destroying my scv's then lag again all that and i forgot about my original build order.
anyway thanks for rooting for me panda :)

and ggs forever, wp.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
i didn't say i would have won if thee wasn't any lag, but i was building 2 extra rax then lag then void ray destroying my scv's then lag again all that and i forgot about my original build order.
anyway thanks for rooting for me panda :)

and ggs forever, wp.
i wasnt just rooting for you, canada was.

the strongest sc2 nation had your back!
shoulda bunker rushed

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I have a friend who lives in Korea and he hooked me up with an SSID key, his girlfriends actually ^_^

Pm'ed you corran

twofold

You can buy a Korean SC2 account from ebay for the lovely sum of $100.

I'm pretty tempted to pick up one since I might be moving to Thailand in a few months. I imagine the Korean server would be more fun to play on than the SEA one.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
twofold said:
You can buy a Korean SC2 account from ebay for the lovely sum of $100.

I'm pretty tempted to pick up one since I might be moving to Thailand in a few months. I imagine the Korean server would be more fun to play on than the SEA one.

I hesitated to post it in this thread because of potential legal strife but this was a method i looked into incase the other one fell through. I heard about it on Response's stream and apparently RootCatz, tyler, orb and many others on tl.net have used the service, he seems to have 100% feedback too.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
How do you guys/gals overcome anxiety when playing 1v1 in this game? I've played my placement matches then a few games afterwards and it gets really intense for me. I usually have to stop playing the game and take long breaks :/ I'm in platinum and always get opponents that are more favored than me

ultron87

SteveO409 said:
How do you guys/gals overcome anxiety when playing 1v1 in this game? I've played my placement matches then a few games afterwards and it gets really intense for me. I usually have to stop playing the game and take long breaks :/ I'm in platinum and always get opponents that are more favored than me

Just realize that the outcome of a single game isn't that big of a deal. Here are the potential results:

You win! Yeah!

You lose! Oh no! You probably know why you lost, so try to do whatever that was better next game. And if you don't know why you can go watch the replay and figure it out. Either way you can become a slightly better player and go on to win more games in the future.

At least that's how I approach ladder games. Tourney games where everyone in SCGAF is watching? Those still destroy my nerves.

SteveO409 said:
Just enjoy it, the game's matching you up with people it thinks are about your level so it should be a good game. If you're good enough to beat these players then great you should get promoted at some point, but if not it's no big deal.

edit: yeah I never get nervous on ladder, in tournaments or if anyone's watching I usually play terrible

BigAT

SteveO409 said:
Good advice from everyone above, but something else to keep in mind while you're playing that I think helps is to remember that the way the matchmaking system works, there are times when you're simply going to be placed against someone significantly better than you. Don't worry if you get opponents that are favored, it's actually a good thing as it likely means that you're winning a lot and the system is going to throw some tough tests your way in order to see just how good your really are.

I've found it much easier to shrug off losses at times with that mentality in mind.

SteveO409 said:
How do you guys/gals overcome anxiety when playing 1v1 in this game?

realize that no one cares about your results but yourself and in order to perform in line with the expectations you set for yourself you need to CALM THE FUCK DOWN.

alternatively: go play in front of 2000 people while spazzing out like a maniac. never feel anxiety again.

Alright guys, I haven't played regular mode since the beta. There have been so many balance changes and probably memory loss on my part that I am totally unprepared to head into matchmaking at this point.

Where can I find a good current strategy (or replay) for Terran? Please don't tell me to simply look at the TL forums. I need to be pointed to a specific page, please. Any current how-to videos would be cool as well. Do people still mostly go with the MMM ball?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Lamonster said:
Alright guys, I haven't played regular mode since the beta. There have been so many balance changes and probably memory loss on my part that I am totally unprepared to head into matchmaking at this point.

Where can I find a good current strategy (or replay) for Terran? Please don't tell me to simply look at the TL forums. I need to be pointed to a specific page, please. Any current how-to videos would be cool as well. Do people still mostly go with the MMM ball?
vs what race on what map on which spawns?

Pandaman said:
vs what race on what map on which spawns?
ha...I'd like to be prepared for anything. Is there anything specific I need to know before I jump in? i.e. tech is not as efficient as MMM, or anything else that has changed since the beta for Terran.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Lamonster said:
ha...I'd like to be prepared for anything. Is there anything specific I need to know before I jump in? i.e. tech is not as efficient as MMM, or anything else that has changed since the beta for Terran.
uh... probably the most universally applicable terran build would be a banshe opener.

farnham

Banned
whats up with all these korean accounts

is it worth to have one outside of my regular account ?

i had one in the open beta phase but i dont want to pay that moniz!

Mr Cola

The lag is noticeable from EU to Korea, not unplayable but the higher up you play obviously the bigger the issue becomes, especially using forcefields, especially v speedlings. Having said that its alot of fun :D

Keikaku

Pandaman said:
Keikaku: Zerg is really, really, REALLY hard for me to learn
Playing like a bronze leaguer. Wouldn't be surprised if I was demoted down to Bronze :(
Just played a guy who is, no joke, 3-7-literally just out of placement and I took 38 minutes to beat him
It wasn't even close
Still ashamed T_T
FML, going to be
*bed

i know someone whose giving lessons for low low moe :p

. . .

>.>
<.<

What was the name of that anime again? Just one season, hmmmm?

IceMarker

jahzsx.jpg

Shadow Assault 2: Retaliation v1.0, releasing to the public this weekend after 3 long months.

After that I can start work on my other custom map, make another melee map, make a gimmick melee map, and then start the ground work for wrapping up the SA Trilogy.

fatty

Would like to get you guys' input. So, after the latest patch that reduces Phoenix build time I'm starting to experiment a bit with a build order against Zerg.

The idea was based a bit off of Nony's 2 Stargate build and also the +1ZealotFastExpand from Broodwar where you pumped out a Corsair asap to hunt overlords while fast expanding and getting the attack upgrade for Zealots to two-hit kill Zerglings.

The one I'm trying out is basically:
Gateway,Gas,Forge,Gas,Core,Stargate,Gateway,Gateway

The concept is to hide your Stargate tech from Zerg and give the impression you are either going with 4-Gate or Fast Expand, but your entrance would need to be blocked off. I first go zealot (to help block off entrance), stalker (to deal with scouting overlord) and then pump out zealots while chronoboosting out four Phoenixes as soon as possible.

Four Phoenixes are enough to lift and kill a queen while also killing Overlords. Zerg is then forced to switch tech paths if he didn't go Hydra but if he chooses to throw down some spore colonies you should then have a considerable amount of Gateway units to attack, expand or whatever you choose.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where there are some more fleshed out replays, VODs or threads that talk about this? I've tried a rough build against someone who happened to be ranked Diamond in all categories (I'm only platinum) and I'm surprised at how well it worked, esp. since my build order was pretty sloppy. (I'll post the replay later on when I get home)

Problems with this build I see is an early Roach rush (which throwing down a cannon at my entrance would help since you already have the forge), allowing zerglings to break into your main (that is why it is so important to block off the entrance), and Hydras (but then again you're not really using too many Phoenixes anyway, just for harrassment).

I like this build because it deviates away from the standard 4Gate (which helps with the surprise factor), helps with map control (which I have a problem with when playing Protoss), and provides much needed scouting after the initial probe (which trying to get an observer out really wasn't too easy when going 4Gate).

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this and if you can point me to any specific threads/vods that go into length on this because I know there are far better players than me that have really looked into this.

SteveO409 said:
Know that not a single person in the world gives the smallest shit about whether you win or lose or your record or how you play. Just play and have fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fatty said:
Would like to get you guys' input.
Gate -> Core -> 4 phoenix -> lift queens. Yeah thats basically it.

From there you can see if he plays defensively, but most likely you'll want to pylon + gate at your natural and get that running while you run around with your phoenix snipping ovies, forcing queens, etc.

V_Arnold

YES ! YES ! YES !

I have became better, better, better. (and I am still a beginner!) I practiced a LOT of ZVZs (mostly thanks to the ladder random, lol), I became aware of a lot of things (how to be agressive before you have a huge army in TVZ or PVZ for example!), and overall, my win ratio has bumped from that horrible 49% (320-329 1v1 wins losses) to 51+% (396-382!), mostly winning against a lot of diamonds. Finally!

(Now, I can start refining, practicing with a lot less burden in my shoulders - a lot of Gaffers kept asking me why I am still in Gold, lol :), and I can ladder with the next goal: to go into Master. It is doable.

yesfx.jpg

God, I love this game. And I would have loved it even if I stayed in Bronze.

V_Arnold

Hazaro said:
Grats dude.

I should work my way into Diamond before ladder reset too :p

Thanks. Well, the more you play, the easier you feel after the games, so go for it, imho.
And believe me: ranks change (MMR) faster when you have few games played. Me? Not so much, it took literally 150+ games to get from gold to diamond, thanks to my total 700+ played games...

ezrarh

Corran Horn said:
Dont do it! Then you will have to face ezrarh in the tourny

Lol. Better to stay in gold...easier path to the finals that way. Anyway, congrats on getting diamond V_Arnold. As long as you're playing to improve you'll get to masters eventually.

nilbog21

Banned
ezrarh said:
Lol. Better to stay in gold...easier path to the finals that way. Anyway, congrats on getting diamond V_Arnold. As long as you're playing to improve you'll get to masters eventually.

words of wisdom folks

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
SteveO409 said:

Watch live streams, I was amazed at how HuK could just lose an incredibly close game and just move on to the next game without a second thought. Really helped me.

Or just play some team games, no one really takes those seriously.

ezrarh said:

or switch to a race other than Zerg.
:>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom