• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Deadly said:
So I scout, see a forge only, cannon rush great. I see right away he built outside my base so he needs to get in to get vision. I manage to kill the probe but he sends like 4 more. At this point we're at like 18 so all I have is a zealot. What the hell am I suppose to do?
spend money.

Q8D3vil

MrMister said:
Terran
1,2,3: Army
4: CCs
5: Barracks
6,7: Factory/Starport
0: Supply Depot 'Doors'

Protoss
4: Nexus
5,6: Robo/Stargate

Zerg
4: Hatcheries
yeah, i need to make my hands strech's further.
the problem with my old hotkeys that i was using the extra buttons in the mouse to control the army which isn't efficient as using the keyboard hotkeys.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
claviertekky said:
Got an update just now.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty - Tools Update 2.1.2.2159

General

The StarCraft II launcher and updater have been improved to support future patching.
So they patched the patch?

yo+dawg+3.jpg

twofold

Ikuu said:
They removed Shakuras from the map pool...

Fuck you, Blizzard.

The easy option is there - put the GSL maps on the ladder.

Instead, you give us these terrible maps that are horrible to play on and remove one of the best maps in the map pool.

So bloody moronic.

Edit - They removed Steppes but left DQ in? What the hell?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wish they gave us at least an option. Like a Blizzard Ladder and a GSL Ladder lol
Or just increase the damn map pool, more than 6 is okay!

Oh well.

Deadman

New Map Pool:

*Scrap Station

*Xel'naga Caverns

*Backwater Gulch (New)

*Delta Quadrant

*Metalopolis

*Slag Pits (New)

*The Shattered Temple (Modified Lost Temple)

*Typhon Peaks (New)

Removed Maps:

*Lost Temple (Now Shattered Temple)

*Steppes of War

*Jungle Basin

*Shakuras Plateau

*Blistering Sands

It is impossible to be worse than blizzard.

twofold

TheThunder said:
More like "They removed Shakuras but left DQ in??!!"

I think Blizzard is allergic to making too much sense.

You're completely right.

I didn't even think of it that way.

Now I'm even more annoyed.

Grrrr.

Haunted

Deadman said:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=196380

MLG have announced how the sc2 tournaments will work this year. Ive read it twice. Dont understand it.
:lol :lol I came here in hopes someone would have clarified it. I don't get this at all, and I'm usually good at these things. I've never seen any tournament of any kind being run in this format.

I don't even understand how these pools work, or why people in the Open tournament have to win 6 Bo3s in a row before the 16 seeded players from 2010 even enter the format. And why there's still an extended fucking series.

So to break this down, up until pool play I can follow:

256 man open tournament, double elimination. 6 rounds + accompanying loser's bracket to whittle it down to 4 undefeated players. Those get thrown into 4 pools of 5 together with the 16 seeds from 2010.

So you have 20 players in 5 groups. Then what?

Haunted

Well, that didn't take long.

ZzDbc.png

edit: I don't even get how it would be 32-man, I thought the Top 4 + 16 seeds are going into pool play? >_> Is pool play round robin? Where are the 12 other people coming from? The open tournament has only 8 players left in the loser's bracket at its ending.

edit: so apparently, pool play is round robin and will be going on while the open tournament churns through its 256 man bracket.

Top 4 players of the 256 man open are seeded into the 4 pools and will have to play the other 4 players in each group one after another <- that is retarded. So the reward for winning 6 Bo3s in a row is having to play 4 Bo5s in a row after that?

And that's just the first day.

Haunted

twofold said:
Oh, and that MLG image is hilarious. I gave up trying to understand that tomfoolery. I look forward to seeing JP and Day9 try to explain how it works on the MLG stream.
Oh, I'm definitely looking forward to JP trying to explain this on the next SotG while incontrol is trolling him.

syllogism

Balance

GENERAL

Players can no longer hide units by setting them in a close proximity patrol (Viking flower).

PROTOSS

Mothership

Units leaving the Mothership's Vortex are now un-targetable and immune to damage for 1.5 seconds.

High Templar

Khaydarin Amulet upgrade (+25 starting energy) has been removed.

Zealot

Charging Zealots will now hit fleeing targets at least once.

TERRAN

Battlecruiser

Movement speed increased from 1.406 to 1.875.

Bunker

Build time increased from 35 to 40 seconds.

Tech Lab

Stimpack upgrade research time increased from 140 to 170 seconds.

ZERG

Infestor

Health increased from 90 to 110.

Fungal Growth

Stun duration decreased from 8 to 4 seconds.

Damage increased by +30% vs. armored units.

Now fires a missile instead of being instant cast.

Haunted

syllogism said:
Units leaving the Mothership's Vortex are now un-targetable and immune to damage for 1.5 seconds.
No more Archon toilets. ;_;

Removing the single best move from the game. I hate you Blizzard. I dunno how far units spread out in 1.5 seconds, but I just assume it'll be enough to mitigate the splash damage. No Khaydarin Amulet is a pretty substantial nerf for HTs as well.

Grandmaster League being added is nice, now people have something to work towards to. Separating the pros from the good amateurs.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Fungal Growth

the great debate:
buff or nerf?

im undecided.

Haunted

And I'm serious, if someone can explain this shitty format better, please do. I still don't get how they arrive at the 32 number, or which stage of the format will be done on what day.

Pandaman said:
Fungal Growth

the great debate:
buff or nerf?

im undecided.
I guess it evens out. Less time stalling units, but doing more damage. I wonder how slow the missile is, and if one can blink stalkers away in time with gosu micro.

Snow

Pandaman said:
Fungal Growth

the great debate:
buff or nerf?

im undecided.
If it does the same damage in those 4 seconds, it might be preferable in some situations. Casting fungal on a medivac and throwing some infested terrans at it might not be effective anymore though.

If it isn't insta-cast anymore it probably means pdd can catch it now, maybe? Might be interesting if so.

Spl1nter

Pandaman said:
Fungal Growth

the great debate:
buff or nerf?

im undecided.

well its higher dps, however missile attack can be a negative.Be hilarious if pdd negates it.

So now templar will never start with storm?

Haunted

re: MLG format. Liquid's Tyler is so smrt.

Liquid`Tyler said:
top 16 are put into 4 groups

Group A: HuK (1), Jinro (8), SLush (9), Machine (16)
Group B: KiWiKaKi (2), Tyler (7), qxc (10), Agh (15)
Group C: TT1 (3), Drewbie (6), IdrA (11), TLO (14)
Group D: SeleCt (4), PainUser (5), Socke (12), Ret (13)

Open bracket is double elimination. They don't play it all the way through. They play it until there are 4 people in the upper bracket and 12 people in the lower bracket. The 4 people in the upper join the groups

Group A: HuK (1), Jinro (8), SLush (9), Machine (16), Open1
Group B: KiWiKaKi (2), Tyler (7), qxc (10), Agh (15), Open2
Group C: TT1 (3), Drewbie (6), IdrA (11), TLO (14), Open3
Group D: SeleCt (4), PainUser (5), Socke (12), Ret (13), Open4

And the 12 people from the lower bracket start out a new bracket (they're in the lower bracket of this new bracket). 8 of them are in round 1, 4 of them are in round 2. In round 3 wait the 5th place players from each group. In round 4 wait the 4th place players from each group. In round 5 wait the 3rd place players from each group. In round 6 wait the 2nd place players from each group. The first place players in each group are in the upper bracket round 1.

it's so you can get to see these players play each other on day 1

then you get to see the final rounds of the open bracket on day 2, as well as the winners of the open bracket play these players

on day 2.

then on day 3 you get to watch the championship bracket play out, where everyone is good and all the matches are interesting

when you seed the top players into a bracket mixed with the open players, you are pretty much guaranteeing a ton of newb bashing on days 1-2. the top players dont want to travel to a tournament to newb bash and fans dont want to watch that.
The difference in the amount of games of a good player and someone coming up from the Open tournament is obscene (12-20 vs 28-44). The better a player does, the less games he has to play, meaning that we won't get to see the best players as often.

:(

Haunted

Snow said:
If it does the same damage in those 4 seconds, it might be preferable in some situations. Casting fungal on a medivac and throwing some infested terrans at it might not be effective anymore though.

If it isn't insta-cast anymore it probably means pdd can catch it now, maybe? Might be interesting if so.
Takes 5 seconds for infested Terrans to hatch, so yeah.

Haunted

ooh, this new observer overlay is looking pretty slick.

JcR6S.jpg

9hsrx.jpg

Some of these tournament overlays in use at popular streams were pretty painful to look at, MSPaint style. Although there is this one awesome GSL overlay copy. :D

Haunted

Also, another thought: can the vortexed units immediately attack other units during their 1.5 seconds of invulnerability upon exiting?

Poor mothership. :(

edit: holy shit, Overseer and Broodlord morphing cost both increased. Someone check on Panda!
People are speculating that it's a bug, though.

Video of the Infestor projectile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peczyb3csD8

Haunted

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Notice: the entire bottom section is gone from the second screenshot
Yep.

As summarised by Gunrun:
New Observer Station Look
You can now remove the menu bar on the top left, and the bottom UI!
There are now overlays in-game (Tug of war style):
Player Names (including race and supply count)
APM
Kills (workers & Units)
Army (Supply of Army Units and Worker Units)
Economy (mineral and gas count)

Top left menu bar getting kicked in every cast from now on, I hope. The tug of war style overlays could be pretty fun to watch when used correctly as well. I like this!

I don't know if you can also hide individual parts of the bottom UI, because the minimap is pretty essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom