• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
syllogism said:
Gretorp, Catz and and Axslav discussing the notes + maps. Starts around 14-15 minutes into the video

http://www.justin.tv/rootcatz/b/280412952

e: and/or Strifeco? Sheth? Well a bunch of people regardless
Hmm Vortex your own units might be good lol.

Snow said:
Video of the new obs mode. Looks really slick. Also try watching it on low res intentionally. You can actually read the food counters now.
I like it, but think the tug-a-war thing is ugly.

Snow

According to interviews I've read with Browder the new overlays were specifically designed to be readable at resolutions where the old obs UI would become unreadable. The big tug-of-war views are mostly intended to be used for pointing out info at specific moments, not to be kept up for an extended period of time. I think they will be pretty decent if used that way.

If they just hurry up with the shared replay viewing feature (was planned this year iirc) the sc2 obs mode will be in a pretty good place.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the overlay changes are long overdue. casters on youtube have done a lot for driving the game, especially competitively, making those casts better to watch is a smart move and they should make the overlay completely customizable. the only the thing caster really needs is the minimap, and even then it would be cool if they gave the option to put the minimap and other thingies on a separate monitor just for observing

Snow

I was actually wondering how easy it would be to implement that for them. I know that a lot of SC2 ui is done in Flash that's integrated with Scaleform (like most games these days) and I'm guessing it would be a lot of effort to get a WoW style custom UI system going for SC2. Especially since it would be a system that mostly be used by a subset of the users (casters) of the playerbase instead of custom UI being relevant for pretty much the entire playerbase with something like WoW. Because they're never going to allow UI changes to the actually game outside of hotkey remapping.

Of course it would be relevant also for all the viewers of those casters, but from my superficial knowledge I'm guessing it would be a lot of effort over just doing the most requested changes themselves. I do hope they prioritize the different replay features they talked about (shared synchronized viewing of replays, replays with embedded audio for wc3 style replays, in-game download service for high-profile replays).

edit:
Though now that I think of it, they did introduce a lot of UI modification options for mods in 1.2, so maybe it's not as hard to implement as I think.

Spl1nter

So much qq in this thread over changes not even on the main servers. Who knows what will happen. Its a test server for a reason.

IceMarker

Spl1nter said:
So much qq in this thread over changes not even on the main servers. Who knows what will happen. Its a test server for a reason.
Please Splinter let them go on, this is more entertaining than TeamLiquid threads!

/sarcasm

IceMarker

Spl1nter said:
TL is even worse. Its so sad. 90% of the people complain without even trying it out first.
Tell me about it, I literally read the SC2 Official Forums and TeamLiquid threads just to see the QQ and laugh, now that it has breached GAF I am saddened
but not surprised. I might have to dish out my own QQ.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spl1nter said:
blizzards one for two so far on listening to ptr complaints, its understandable imo.

V_Arnold

Spl1nter said:
the maps are all so zerg favoured. Idk how you can complain about that.

You cant be serious.
Seriously, YOU CANT BE SERIOUS.

If it is not insanely T/P favored, it is Zerg favored? Lol, really lol.

Corran Horn

V_Arnold said:
You cant be serious.
Seriously, YOU CANT BE SERIOUS.

If it is not insanely T/P favored, it is Zerg favored? Lol, really lol.
He just switched out of zerg so everything is Z favored :D

twofold

Slag Pits (cross position and close air), Typhon Peaks and Shattered Temple are good for Zerg.

Backwater Gulch is the worst map in existence and is just plain bad for everyone.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrMister said:
Out of all the things listed in the patch the maps have to be the least of your worries lol
the one being the one currently on the official ladder? yeah, who'd be worried about that!

you're the guy who put kulas in a tourney pool and didnt see a problem until it was pointed out, i dont think you've got much room to talk about the importance of map balance. :p

Spl1nter said:
the maps are all so zerg favoured. Idk how you can complain about that.
only one is zerg favoured, but thats still a problem. balance is the end goal here. and balance isnt 33% of the map pool is z favoured, 33% t favoured, 33% p favoured.

Spl1nter

twofold said:
Slag Pits (cross position and close air), Typhon Peaks and Shattered Temple are good for Zerg.

Backwater Gulch is the worst map in existence and is just plain bad for everyone.

I would say slag pits easily favours zerg and shattered temple can favour zerg on cross positions.

Aint going to stop me from playing and just forces innovation. Nothing wrong with that.

Keikaku

Panda, I'm so sorry that I missed our training session last night. Spring Break just started for me and, in all the excitement, I just plain forgot D:

Sorry man . . .

IceMarker

Easy expansions/Wide open spaces - Zerg Favored
Cliffs/Islands - Terran Favored
Choke points/places for a hidden pylon - Protoss Favored

So have all 3 or have none at all, does this equal balance?

Seriously so sick of all the map balance bullshit for the past 6 months, if anything I want Blizzard to 'fix' it just to shut everyone up. It's like everyone wants the maps to be Xel'naga and even then it'll probably considered imbalanced by someone down the line. This is why I just like Blizzard maps because at least they come from the people who designed the maps with the designers of the game itself in mind. Hell even I'm revamping or deleting some of my maps just to get it closer to Blizzard's design. Better yet, just to make some of you happy, let's just play nothing but GSL and ICCup maps from now on just so we can complain the balance of those maps when we find a way to eventually nitpick them. If it's not one thing it's another, even with balance patch changes it means that the meta-game will change as well and NO ONE can predict a meta-game change. I remember when Lost Temple was considered a balanced map until people found out siege tanks were key to Terran defense of the natural, or when Scrap Station was balanced until the extra creep tumor was needed for the right main and Protoss could abuse close air positions and choke points, or when Steppes of War was considered an imba map for Zerg was thrown out the window when Idra himself showed that even highly ranked players can go against the meta-game. At this point I'm ready to not even attempt to make another melee map again, even if I come close to quality as I did with Voyage, I'm done and I'm sick of even the slightest things in a map, Blizzard map or no, making the map suddenly imbalanced or favored for a race. I've seen time and time again where imbalances were proved wrong.

Smash88

Banned
I really hope Blizzard doesn't remove Amulet. That would make HT's not viable at all.

They could instead change it for a higher mana regen or maybe a +15 or +20 amulet. Waiting 44 seconds in game is like an eternity. While the Ghosts have EMP already researched and not to mention their range is higher and takes away all shields.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrMister said:
map making isnt easy but map balance is still important.

but most importantly, it isnt easy. because it isnt easy, mistakes will be made, because mistakes were made imbalances will emerge and becaue maps are imbalanced, people will want a better game for their dollar and ofcourse, people will post examples counterintuitive to 'map imbalance' and harp them up as important when those examples are only well known and remarkable because they are so rare.

so....

SnMjU.gif

Corran Horn

The Tug of War thing gets in the way of the Resources tab in replay mode. Think they would have positioned it better...

But how does this look? Testing some stuff out incase this gets put into regular sc2 client soon
tournyreplaytest.jpg

a176

Banned
Spl1nter said:

why do ghosts get EMP for free but templar have to research storm?

Snow

Because they're two different units? To be honest, I'm too much of a scrub to really judge balance, but I've seen that same argument for some of the other past patch changes. The general argument seems kinda weird in a game that has as one of its main appeals asymmetrical factions with units that work differently but are somehow still balanced (well, ideally).

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
is that best of 3 part blizzards or yours?

i like it btw.

lol 4gate
Thats what I been using lately for the tournys but placed it over the replay names. "Best of 3" is new, I use to just show the game score there.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
in terms of scale and in relation to the story, what do you think the in game starcraft units are representitive of?

id say if one battle cruiser is representative of 1 battle cruiser then one marine which is 1/8th the mineral cost is really representative of a platoon of a 100-1000~ marines. that's probably the case right?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Keikaku said:
this makes me the second highest ranked overall and highest ranked zerg on gaf afaik. ^^

suddenly pandas moemoe nanoha regiment doesnt seem so silly, eh, non-keikaku zergs? :p

Haunted

Corran Horn said:
The Tug of War thing gets in the way of the Resources tab in replay mode. Think they would have positioned it better...

But how does this look? Testing some stuff out incase this gets put into regular sc2 client soon
tournyreplaytest.jpg
A compromise, but the names are simply looking worse than the Blizzard overlay.

The best would be to have just the scores and BoX display come from the user, the rest from within the game, but I dunno if that's feasible (haven't worked with the various casting overlays myself).

edit: why not go for this one, though. :p

Corran Horn

Haunted said:
A compromise, but the names are simply looking worse than the Blizzard overlay.

The best would be to have just the scores and BoX display come from the user, the rest from within the game, but I dunno if that's feasible (haven't worked with the various casting overlays myself).

edit: why not go for this one, though. :p
1. Xsplit wont see it unless you change the options to see layered stuff which just destroys my PC. So they need to make a non-transparent version.
2. It doesnt fully cover up the blizzard bar.

:(

Guess I can look out for other ones though

The Blizzrad name overly definitely looks like the best one I've seen by a long shot.

I wish they allow you to customize it for score and spawn location so that we won't need 3rd party overlays.

Keikaku

I forgot what a goddamn mystery Bronze League can be sometimes.

Just got a bm gg from a one basing Silver League Zerg on Shattered Temple. He went ling->Roach on one base and killed me. I had a Spire but, for some reason, I built no Mutas. Against a pure ground army. God, I felt like such an idiot

Then some Protoss turned Terran tried to Bunker Rush me on Xelnaga. I won that one, but wow is my blood boiling right now.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Keikaku said:

Just got a bm gg from a one basing Silver League Zerg on Shattered Temple. He went ling->Roach on one base and killed me. I had a Spire but, for some reason, I built no Mutas. Against a pure ground army. God, I felt like such an idiot

Then some Protoss turned Terran tried to Bunker Rush me on Xelnaga. I won that one, but wow is my blood boiling right now.

my masters winning game involved a bunker rush, its not fun. -.-

Keikaku said:

People still act like Dicks right into platinum and diamond. In fact i think some of them get worse because they aren't actually bad players so they don't have to worry so much about embarrasing backfires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom