• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

Pandaman said:
harder than i thought! i still need to figure out a way to make unlandable cliffs more obviously unusable and the camera feels very low, but maybe thats just me. can cameras even be changed for melee or is it always the same hieght and angle?
I'm so proud of you Panda!

To make unlandable cliffs, the easiest way is with the Cliff Fill tool, you need to open the pathing panel (Hotkey: H) and then select the fill tool and place markers where you need them and it will block off all walkable areas connected with the same cliff height.
As for the camera feeling low to the ground, there are two possibilities: A. the tileset itself has a low default camera height, or B. you have your base height set very low. You can change the base height of your map by going to Map -> Map Options and then toggling the Base Height buttons, a good base height to have is 4.0 to 8.0. 4 is what Shattered Temple and Lost Temple use, while 6 seems to be average for SCII and 8 being a bit higher. Any lower or higher and most units and your camera will be too close or too far away from the ground level of the map.

In other news, the Alpha for my new map may come sooner than I thought I'm making leaps and bounds in progress and if you would like to help test possibly tonight after the tournament matches or Friday please let me know here in the thread or on Mumble when I'm online.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrMister said:
I'm so proud of you Panda!

To make unlandable cliffs, the easiest way is with the Cliff Fill tool, you need to open the pathing panel (Hotkey: H) and then select the fill tool and place markers where you need them and it will block off all walkable areas connected with the same cliff height.
As for the camera feeling low to the ground, there are two possibilities: A. the tileset itself has a low default camera height, or B. you have your base height set very low. You can change the base height of your map by going to Map -> Map Options and then toggling the Base Height buttons, a good base height to have is 4.0 to 8.0. 4 is what Shattered Temple and Lost Temple use, while 6 seems to be average for SCII and 8 being a bit higher. Any lower or higher and most units and your camera will be too close or too far away from the ground level of the map.

In other news, the Alpha for my new map may come sooner than I thought I'm making leaps and bounds in progress and if you would like to help test possibly tonight after the tournament matches or Friday please let me know here in the thread or on Mumble when I'm online.
yea i figured out the pathing tool, that was easy. its just i need to figure out a way to help players tell apart cliffs they can use and cliffs they cant by purely visual means.

IceMarker

Pandaman said:
yea i figured out the pathing tool, that was easy. its just i need to figure out a way to help players tell apart cliffs they can use and cliffs they cant by purely visual means.
Best way to do that is Doodads, if the editor doesn't let you place a doodad on a cliff due to building space restrictions, hold down Shift when placing a doodad to ignore placement requirements. Note however doing this allows any units that may come in contact with the Shift doodad to walk/clip right through it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrMister said:
Best way to do that is Doodads, if the editor doesn't let you place a doodad on a cliff due to building space restrictions, hold down Shift when placing a doodad to ignore placement requirements. Note however doing this allows any units that may come in contact with the Shift doodad to walk/clip right through it.
i spawned some doodads:
lCD52.jpg

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
YakiSOBA said:
Yeah, it was posted a couple pages back. Pretty sweet, BC's got a pretty nice speed boost.

And the replays are gonna be cool, just waiting for replay lobbies now.

An alert has been added when MULEs expire.
An alert has been added when the Chrono Boost buff expires.
An alert has been added when the Spawn Larva buff expires.

The best part.

HolyCheck said:

The best part.
Ew no, Too easy.

Although I suppose I never look at those alerts...

YakiSOBA

HolyCheck said:

The best part.

Holy Check! Where do you see that?

edit: nevermind I didn't even scroll down far enough on the patch note list.. that's pretty ezmode though IMO lol.

"SCVs can no longer resume construction on buildings while inside bunkers." wat?

HolyCheck said:

The best part.
I usually notice the sound effect of the MULE falling apart.

ultron87

The Lamonster said:
I usually notice the sound effect of the MULE falling apart.

Funny that it's the most noticeable sound effect of the three, even though it is the one that you get penalized the least for missing a call down of.

Deadman

The messages are the same as the messages that come up for any other building or unit finishing construction, they come up on the left hand side and they dont make any extra warning sound to tell you that its time to mule/chrono/inject, so its quite a minor change.

cdyhybrid

Well, I decided to stick with Zerg when I come back. I figure I'm gonna lose horribly anyway so I might as well do it with my preferred race.

zlatko

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
WHAT ON EARTH IS THERE TO LIKE ABOUT PLAYING ZERG?

Have you seen the queen? DAT ASS!

In all my playtime with SC2 I've really liked playing Zerg the most. I like the units, and it's super satisfying to baneling a ton of marines or muta harass someone's economy into oblivion.

Speaking of which, come next week I'll be putting MvC3 to the side to focus back onto SC2 where I'll finally make the full on race switch to Zerg.

What would you guys say are the 3 most essential build orders I should learn since I'm still only silver league? If you could provide a link I'd be appreciative of that too.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I like how searching for Starcraft Moe, one of the images eventually is the NeoGAF sc2 tourny open image lol

....right next to random nude chicks lol

twofold

As Zerg, I play fully straight up and go macro style.

As Terran, I love doing the most abusive stuff I can. Blue flame hellion drops, proxy 2 rax, 2 port banshee - man, it's so much fun.

I can see the appeal in playing Terran, for sure.

Boken

Banned
I play zerg because I like zerglings : ( and 'swarming', though I think thats the terran bio job now...

EDIT: I just realised I play zerg and a mage. I am destined to just QQ. :'(

zlatko

Banned
Asked this question last night during the tourney matches, but didn't get an answer since no one was sure:

Can hallucinated probes mine minerals? Sentries if they opt to hallucinate probes can make 4 at once per hallucinate. If they can mine.... that's like a mule for the race isn't it ?

fanboi

Banned
zlatko said:
Asked this question last night during the tourney matches, but didn't get an answer since no one was sure:

Can hallucinated probes mine minerals? Sentries if they opt to hallucinate probes can make 4 at once per hallucinate. If they can mine.... that's like a mule for the race isn't it ?

Without knowing, I can swear that it isnt possible.

mcrae

any custom map fiends on here?

ive slowly stopped playing regular games, and now play customs all the time. one im getting into right now is Risk Revulsion. its basically a risk game, pretty fun, though a little fast-paced for my liking. I still have no idea how to impliment a awesome strategy for winning though, lol.

if anyone would like to play it sometime, and team up (you cant actually ally, but we can just agree not to attack each other and be the last two standing) add me: mcrae.763

I can't believe it. Blizzard are STILL nerfing Protoss every damn patch for no reason. At this rate next patch they'll remove the Psi-Storm research and make Feedback a tech...........

ChronicleX said:
I can't believe it. Blizzard are STILL nerfing Protoss every damn patch for no reason. At this rate next patch they'll remove the Psi-Storm research and make Feedback a tech...........

protoss not easy enough?

Deadman

Its fine, if you just make 72 mutalisks then they can kill the deathball.

Oh also they need to have at least 3 attack upgrade.

Hello everyone - finally had my GAF account validated! Just introducing myself really. Hoping to join in with the discussion in this thread.

Also, that map Pandaman is working on is looking seriously sweet - keep up the good work!

mescalineeyes said:
protoss not easy enough?

Show me a HL game where the fate of the Protoss was not decided by Forcefield. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Protoss is being balanced around Warp Gates and Forcefield, and not the strength of their units. Protoss is the hardest of the 3 to play at a high level because of this, Forcefields decide the games outcome every single time.

ultron87

ChronicleX said:
Show me a HL game where the fate of the Protoss was not decided by Forcefield. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Protoss is being balanced around Warp Gates and Forcefield, and not the strength of their units. Protoss is the hardest of the 3 to play at a high level because of this, Forcefields decide the games outcome every single time.

Even though I'm pretty sure I could point out many a game where forcefields didn't win/lose the game, aren't forcefields one of the "strengths of their units"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom