• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Slavik81 said:
A 1000 player tournament decides a single spot... o_O
Got to have that token open invite player that will lose first round. That way they can say anyone can get into the tournament!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
Got to have that token open invite player that will lose first round. That way they can say anyone can get into the tournament!
or whitera could win it and troll his way through the small team B list players who get in through the 5 player per team cap.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
mescalineeyes said:
good lord, they need a designer and fast.
Yup, their site and graphics are terrible. Pretty funny to see how much better the TSL stuff is looking.
Pandaman said:
or whitera could win it and troll his way through the small team B list players who get in through the 5 player per team cap.
They've removed the player cap per team.

Ashhong

God damn placement matchmaking. 4v4s and every game we play is against people in fucking Masters league 4v4 3v3 etc etc, we only win 2-5 and get bronze. Cant wait to take out my anger on bronze noobs.

Paz

Is nobody else concerned that NASL is going to do permanent damage to western e-sports?

Someone is donating 400 thousand dollars to run a Starcraft 2 league in the united states and it looks so shoddy an outsider might mistake it for a joke or con job. The initial announcement + show match were very poorly handled and everything since then has looked like a 15 year old did it in his spare time (or worse, I've known some very talented 15 year olds).

I hope to be proven wrong but so far I've cringed at every new piece of info that trickles out regarding this event, and if it doesn't succeed I fear for the future investors into western e-sports.

Trickster

Paz said:
Is nobody else concerned that NASL is going to do permanent damage to western e-sports?

Someone is donating 400 thousand dollars to run a Starcraft 2 league in the united states and it looks so shoddy an outsider might mistake it for a joke or con job. The initial announcement + show match were very poorly handled and everything since then has looked like a 15 year old did it in his spare time (or worse, I've known some very talented 15 year olds).

I hope to be proven wrong but so far I've cringed at every new piece of info that trickles out regarding this event, and if it doesn't succeed I fear for the future investors into western e-sports.

Not really scared of it having a negative impact on esports in general, if it bombs. But I'm worried about their seemingly lacking ability to produce stuff of proper quality, the announcement trailer looked like it was made by someone that just read a few tutorials online. The website also doesn't really impress me, though they have said that's not the final website.

Regardless though, I'm still gonna get a premium ticket. Even if this doesn't turn out to be what a lot of people had hoped it'd be, it's still better than nothing. We're also never gonna see an esports scene like the one in Korea if someone doesn't step up and try to do something about it, so for that alone, I'm willing to support them and get 3 months of starcraft 2 matches for 20$. And hopefully enough people are willing to do the same, that way, maybe next season or next year they will be able to have better production values, and in turn attract more investors.

Trickster

Ikuu said:
Seems Artosis is going to be more active as a player and has applied for the NASL.

That's awesome, think he would be a good person to choose as a participant even if he's won't be a top contender, he's just so well liked and popular in the community that it would undoubtedly benefit the NASL.

V_Arnold

mescalineeyes said:
I asked incontrol about this on twitter a couple minutes ago. no answer so far.

That does not sound like a wisely chosen place to ask any question like this.
If it is a shady stuff, it wont get confirmed.
If it is not, the question itself should be just ignored. : )

ezrarh

Paz said:

They said they're going to do a few more practice showmatches to get everything cleanly before the league officially starts so I'm not too worried about that. However, I do agree that they need to get a professional designer because the website and especially that bracket looks so amateurish.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ahoyhoy said:
1) Buy a headset
2) Find a partner (perferablly someone you know IRL but don't matter)
3) Play 2v2 ladder
4) Have a shit ton of fun playing a more engaging mode that requires communication and coordination while simultaneously offering a multitude of new strategies (like Hydra Marauder Medivac).
Dude... :lol

Feep

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
1) Buy a headset
2) Find a partner (perferablly someone you know IRL but don't matter)
3) Play 2v2 ladder
4) Have a shit ton of fun playing a more engaging mode that requires communication and coordination while simultaneously offering a multitude of new strategies (like Hydra Marauder Medivac).
1) Buy a 16 x 16 chessboard
2) Find a partner (perferablly (WTF?) someone you know who does not understand the elegance of a single-player game)
3) Play 2v2 chess
4) Have a shit ton of fun playing a more engaging mode that requires communication and not banging your head against a wall while simultaneously offering a multitude of new strategies (like four-bishop rush, dual King pincer)

Spl1nter

Feep said:
1) Buy a 16 x 16 chessboard
2) Find a partner (perferablly (WTF?) someone you know who does not understand the elegance of a single-player game)
3) Play 2v2 chess
4) Have a shit ton of fun playing a more engaging mode that requires communication and not banging your head against a wall while simultaneously offering a multitude of new strategies (like four-bishop rush, dual King pincer)

lol. This should be an olympic sport.

IceMarker

2wq5xrk.png

The 14th weekly GAF night! Nukes, nukes everywhere!

Information Guru said:
The Weekly NeoGAF Starcraft II Nights
-Wednesdays starting @ 6pm PDT (9pm EST)
-Game types:
<1v1>
<2v2>
<3v3>
<4v4>
<Custom Maps>
<FFA>

Streams and Misc. Info
-MrMister's Stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mrmister-live
-Corran Horn's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/corran666
-Hazard's Stream: http://www.justin.tv/vggaming
-Mumble Info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399065

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY PUNK, WELL? DO YA?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just a general question about base macro (I play toss usually).

How do you go about setting up that second base?

Do you preface it with a pylon or build the nexus and pylon together?
Do you treat it like you would your original base and expand it bit by bit, or do you drop all the new buildings (another 4 gateways, 1 robo 3 gate etc etc) all in one go?
When and where should I build a forge, assuming a standard 4gate opening?

Halycon said:

Do you treat it like you would your original base and expand it bit by bit, or do you drop all the new buildings (another 4 gateways, 1 robo 3 gate etc etc) all in one go?

Nexus first, it takes the longest to build, followed by pylons. Extra gateways go there, but I keep more critical buildings like robo's inside my main base. Placement of the gateways is carefully considered depending on how the map is designed, I like to use them to create choke points or otherwise form a wall in front of my nexus to slow down any counter-attacks.

I'm a weaker player so I rely on 1-2 canons to ward off drops, air harrass, and zergling runby's, usually one behind the nexus in the probe line and another behind the gateways.

Halycon said:

1) I usually pick a probe and shift-queue building a Nexus and a pylon. If it's later in the game and I already have more than one expansion, I usually also queue the assimilators. When I transfer the probes to the third or fourth expansion, I build a few cannons.

2) If it's a fast expansion, I usually build the expansion and as soon as I have some extra money over (while continuing to build units, probes and pylons) I add Gateways and production facilities. In the late game, I tend to be a little worse with my macro, so when I'm at like 1k/1k, I usually just build it all at once.

3) I don't 4Gate a lot, but the usual "standard" 4Gate doesn't have much of a long-term plan. It's quite hard to follow it up with anything, except in PvP when you do a defensive 4Gate, which you can expand off (or just counterattack and win if you defend properly).

mcrae

so i found out today that when the internet is turned off i cant play any custom games.

bullshit

unless you can, i dont know i didnt have the internet to look it up lol

Corran Horn

mcrae said:
so i found out today that when the internet is turned off i cant play any custom games.

bullshit

unless you can, i dont know i didnt have the internet to look it up lol
Basically that. Maybe you can run customs under the editor as test document....shrug Im not sure.

ksan

Wow, I'm doing so much better in ZvP now when I started playing ling/bling rather than normal hydra/roach. It's ten times more fun and I've gone from losing 8/10 games in the matchup to having a positive record since.

Spl1nter

ksan said:
Wow, I'm doing so much better in ZvP now when I started playing ling/bling rather than normal hydra/roach. It's ten times more fun and I've gone from losing 8/10 games in the matchup to having a positive record since.

what league are you in.

Pandaman said:
excellent.

or bad. VERY BAD.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Corran Horn said:
Grubby now streams (offline atm) :D
http://www.justin.tv/followgrubby

Got to love how streaming is becoming so popular now.
Grubby loves his DTs, seems to use them in every single game and yea it's pretty awesome all of the streaming that is going on. Can pretty much watch a top player any time of the day.
ksan said:
I need to give that a shot, I haven't played the standard Roach/Hydra/Corrupter against P in a week or so now. I've just been messing around being super aggressive/cheesing.

Rubashov

Regarding the NASL: no one will care about graphic or website designs if they can pull off a great venue for the grand finals. Even if the production quality isn't up to ESPN standards, then as long as they can get a big, energetic crowd and premium players on the stage, it will be a success.

I keep thinking of the national tournament Gamestop put together at the console release of Street Fighter 4. It was ambitious, and looked like a train wreck waiting to happen. Rules changed from store to store, there was limited exposure, virtually no coverage even of the finals. But when I finally found shitty youtube vids of the finals taken from someone's phone in the crowd, I was blown away. They flew in some foreign stars, turned on a projector, and let them play. The excitement from the crowd and the action on screen pumped more hype into the community than all of the hours of arcade footage and japanese videos ever did.

Maybe these moments for SC2 have already happened for some people, with the MLGs and foreign tournaments out there. For me, MLG lacked some of that excitement. I hope it was just because they needed more benches. I'm ready for a huge, homegrown, SC2-dedicated event that has 2 months of drama and build-up behind it.

Corran Horn

Watching Grubby atm makes me wish I had control that good.

Also makes me wonder why some WC3 players go Zerg. Protoss feels alot better for them.

Deadman

Incontrol said on state of the game yesterday that ling/bling had given him quite alot of trouble.

Tomorrow ill watch those replays and try the style out, sounds fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom