• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad Artosis made it. Let's see how does he stack up against professionals.

I really hope they Invite an actual GSL champion/top player not code B/barely code A players so when a non Korean win they can truly say they are the best in the world.

Do it the TSL way.

Jeff-DSA

Cheeto said:
Stay away from that guy, he's canadian

Well I'm curious, to be honest. I don't want to fight with the guy, I just want to know why he's disagreeing.

And let's not kid ourselves, none of us are uberpro players here anyway. Being in Master league doesn't make you a pro. There's probably no reason to try to run people out of threads because they can only play 1-2 matches a day rather than 20.

Nothing wrong with people enjoying team-games, but really better balanced...

I don't like 3v3 and 4v4 much. 2v2 seems very solid, however. You're so much more free with your openings, I've found. It also makes mid and late game transitions more interesting when you're dealing with two opponents doing different things.

I prefer 1v1 to everything, but Zerg's super weak early game is far more exposed in 1v1 matches.

ezrarh

Jeff-DSA said:
Well I'm curious, to be honest. I don't want to fight with the guy, I just want to know why he's disagreeing.

And let's not kid ourselves, none of us are uberpro players here anyway. Being in Master league doesn't make you a pro. There's probably no reason to try to run people out of threads because they can only play 1-2 matches a day rather than 20.

Splinter's not even masters. He's just another crappy Canadian.

nilbog21

Banned
also u guys hear IGN just dropped another 150k Starcraft 2 tourney? ;<

strat_dustinbrowderinterview-560x254.jpg

feels good man

ultron87

Jeff-DSA said:
I don't like 3v3 and 4v4 much. 2v2 seems very solid, however. You're so much more free with your openings, I've found.

I've always felt rather confined in team games with openings because extreme early aggression is so powerful when it is two people doing it instead of just one.

The math for defending early pushes with builds that would be considered "safe" in 1v1 doesn't work because you have two bases to defend, and their unit advantage over you is doubled (ie they have 4 more Stalkers than you instead of 2 more).

Jeff-DSA

ultron87 said:
I've always felt rather confined in team games with openings because extreme early aggression is so powerful when it is two people doing it instead of just one.

The math for defending early pushes with builds that would be considered "safe" in 1v1 doesn't work because you have two bases to defend, and their unit advantage over you is doubled (ie they have 4 more Stalkers than you instead of 2 more).

Sure, but you also have a partner to shoot up the backside of the army pressing at your door. If the early rush is held, which does come quite often, I've been pretty happy with how games progress from there. My friend is relentless with scouting though, so generally early pressure is something we handle well.

Jeff-DSA

Spl1nter said:
not balanced and less choices for what you can do because of the power of early aggression.

I seem to think that the newer maps are delaying rush timings a bit. When we first starting doing the 2v2s early pressure was rampant, but I've noticed it being less common with the newer maps.

Spl1nter

Jeff-DSA said:
I seem to think that the newer maps are delaying rush timings a bit. When we first starting doing the 2v2s early pressure was rampant, but I've noticed it being less common with the newer maps.

One players Zerg, One player Toss. 4 gate and speedling all in with the zerg using ovies so the toss can warp into the enemy bases negating normal defenses required for 4 gate defense. Map distance negated by protoss warp in ability and zerg speed.

Zerg is the strongest race actually in 2v2.

Milabrega

Double Protoss is absolutely imba in 2v2. Double proxy two gate, double canon rush, double 4 gate, or a macro game where they go Colossi/Void Balls of death. The new maps are absolutely horrible. Playing zerg in 2v2 is like playing with a handicap on. Most of the maps make it extremely difficult to secure an expand let alone an early expand, and with the power and likely hood of one base strong early aggression you are boned. The ramp locations, base sizes and lowground/high ground placement with regards to starting minerals location make hiding and executing proxy warp ins or canon rushes easier than 1v1 counterparts. Not a fan of all the maps having three tiers of ground level either.

scogoth

Milabrega said:
Double Protoss is absolutely imba in 2v2. Double proxy two gate, double canon rush, double 4 gate, or a macro game where they go Colossi/Void Balls of death. The new maps are absolutely horrible. Playing zerg in 2v2 is like playing with a handicap on. Most of the maps make it extremely difficult to secure an expand let alone an early expand, and with the power and likely hood of one base strong early aggression you are boned. The ramp locations, base sizes and lowground/high ground placement with regards to starting minerals location make hiding and executing proxy warp ins or canon rushes easier than 1v1 counterparts. Not a fan of all the maps having three tiers of ground level either.

Thats why you always ling/marine/zealot rush while the other goes 7 roach/5 rax/dts followed by brood lords/Cattlebruisers/Mother fucking mothership

evangd007

ultron87 said:

Vetoing Gutterhulk and Ruins of Tarsonis helps with that concern. Both of those maps are the Blistering Sands of 2v2 maps, aka they can fuck right off. The rest of the maps in the current 2v2 pool have easily defensible middle areas in front of the naturals or shared mains and few if any back doors.

In fact, on some maps you can get away with extremely greedy FEs if your partner takes a very defensive build. It is true that you get some very unique kinds of cheese in 2v2s, like the Overlord/Warp Gate cheese, but once you know about them they're rather easy to thwart.

Slavik81

Jeff-DSA said:
Splinter's just trolling. It's what he does. Don't worry about it.

He'd say that even if he agreed with you.

Tntnnbltn

The trials and tribulations of Tntnnbltn's bronze league laddering
Stardate: 20110326

Me: PvP, hmm? Guess I'll go the usual gateways and a robo... In the meantime I'll head off and scout...

LDHmf.jpg

Me: Two gateways? No cyber? No gas?

Editor's note: I don't know how much you know about getting owned by zealot rushes (I'm an expert)...

Me: *cancels own cyber and gas, switches to 3 gate with zealots*

HT2Ci.jpg

Me: Oh, hi there.

After their failed attack, the other player cannoned up their entrance, build more zealots, put down two stargates for void rays.

jkjnd.jpg

Them: They will never make it up my ramp!

qbANZ.jpg

Them: I wonder what that red pinging is for. It's been going on for like 30 seconds...

DN4f9.jpg

Them: Oh god my nexus! At least I have enough to rebuild I guess...

Xmj7y.jpg

Them: ...oh wait.

And that was the first time I ever successfully defended a zealot rush. Whoo!

scogoth

Tntnnbltn said:
And that was the first time I ever successfully defended a zealot rush. Whoo!

Congrats. Now do that 50 more times until you end up in a league where people aren't stupid and 2 gate. Wait every league is like that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Editors note :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Artosis is coach of the World team against Cella who is coach of Korean team.
Holy Check!

This will be interesting World Championships in a few days :D

Q8D3vil

so many bad terrans in the diamond eu ladder, i reach 80 scv while they are still on 35 scv, one of them even tried to go bcs of two base while i have air control.
so stupid

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Q8D3vil said:
so many bad terrans in the diamond eu ladder, i reach 80 scv while they are still on 35 scv, one of them even tried to go bcs of two base while i have air control.
so stupid
I fucking hate TvT now..

Haunted

nilbog21 said:
do all the NASL invitees get flown in for free?

edit: (this is a live event right?)

i hope day gets a spot :0
The first 10 weeks are an online league of 50. Then there's a 16 man tournament finals, which is offline (live) in the US. Players who qualify for the finals get a $500 travel stipend.

twofold

Did anyone watch the fxo invitational last night? How the hell did Cloud beat MC 2-0?!

Edit - And then Checkprime beat MC 2-0 in the losers bracket. So strange.

syllogism

twofold said:
Did anyone watch the fxo invitational last night? How the hell did Cloud beat MC 2-0?!

MC was being his usual cheesy/risky self and first attempted to 4 gate and then did a proxy 8 gate

Haunted

twofold said:

Because Cloud is awesome, that's why.

Reading all this makes me want to specialize in Zerg. Just because it seems to be the hardest to be good at. Either I;m that arrogant, or I really just like to make myself miserable. Probably a combination of both. haha

DaFish

Awesome Animals said:
Reading all this makes me want to specialize in Zerg. Just because it seems to be the hardest to be good at. Either I;m that arrogant, or I really just like to make myself miserable. Probably a combination of both. haha
Zerg is a blast to play, when your winning.

Ecto311

How do I get (and beat) a gold/plat then get this guy? He was favoured - 40 points and all he had was a supply and ebay when I got there with 3 marines.

wtf1.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Trickster said:
*Pandaman sees SS of zerg with 2k gas*

"looool why?!"

*someone points out Pandamans own SS with even more gas*

"it's different, I was gonna use it eventually on ultras"
well, pure mineral armies have a hard time spending gas.
this guy was maxed on roaches and had 2k gas. >_>

it kinda is different. :p

---

also yes, zerg is awesome.
its gotten to a point where everything zerg has a purpose, cant say that for the other two races yet.

Snow

Ecto311 said:
How do I get (and beat) a gold/plat then get this guy? He was favoured - 40 points and all he had was a supply and ebay when I got there with 3 marines.

wtf1.jpg
I believe that the other player is always favoured when playing against someone who is still in placement matches. And what your enemy being favoured means in the matchmaking system is that you can get a lot more points from a match when winning than losing. I guess it's a way deal with potential unfair matches with a strong player that is doing placements by giving the other player a low chance of losing lots of points and a high chance of gaining lots of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom