• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

So even if they invite only koreans from now there will only be 10.

Huge fail. Gonna be great watching the equivalent of the third round of mlg going on for 13 weeks...

Jeff-DSA

I dunno, you get less competition if you don't have all the top Koreans invited, but I think they're trying to grow the sport more with Western audiences and they want to promote more Western players. Obviously iNControl was getting in, given his affiliation with everything, but I'm fine with them favoring an extra few NA and EU players. Maybe when the whole scene is a bit more firmly established in the West and you have audiences out here that know players better that they'll feel more comfortable inviting more Koreans.

With that said, I do hope the last spots go to Koreans, and preferably Code S and top Code A players.

Ikuu said:
Can't complain about Incontrol when they're inviting people like Vibe and Dde.
I wouldn't put it past them that they put couple of no name jobbers in there so he wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

After seeing the TSL I changed my mind completely about Koreans. When I want to see top players play, I want them to do their %100 or as close to it as possible not barely doing even %50 of what they do in the GSL due to high latency, so they less koreans and more NA/EU players the better.

I knew Incontrol would self invite himself. MLG is gonna be fun.

syllogism

Dde is supposedly pretty good, perhaps some of you should stop pretending you've some inside knowledge or indeed much knowledge at all as to who is actually good and who isn't. Every top list, especially when conducted someone who actually doesn't play against these players daily, is going to be wildly subjective after we move past top 20 or so. Incontrol or EG isn't involved in the inviting process by the way. In fact, EG isn't involved with the league at all.

twofold

Ikuu said:
NASL players announced today: Grubby, inControl, Dde, Goody, Painuser

:lol

Who is Dde?

Grubby is a strange choice too. The guy is going to be an absolute monsters in the future. If you watch his stream you know that. But right now, he's not up there with the best players.

Incontrol and Goody.. Err.. No.

syllogism said:
Dde is supposedly pretty good, perhaps some of you should stop pretending you've some inside knowledge or indeed much knowledge at all as to who is actually good and who isn't. Incontrol or EG isn't involved in the inviting process by the way. In fact, EG isn't involved with the league at all.
Incontrol plays ladder/tournaments, streams and does most of his starcraft work from Russ's office, you know the guy who runs this whole thing...

Don't really care who "officially" is doing the picking, you can't deny that his connections could made it easier for him than some of the other guys.

Edit:
twofold said:
Is that due to skill? Or just the sheer amount of tournaments he enters?

I've rarely been impressed by his play and his playstyle is dull and infuriating to watch - I think he's a poor choice.
Goddy is pretty good.

He has more accomplishments than most on the list even though he didn't do anything significant in big LANs.

His style is probably a plus for him since he's the only one who does it in every match up.

twofold

syllogism said:
Goody is one of the most accomplished players around so your hate is misguided

I've rarely been impressed by his play and his playstyle is dull and infuriating to watch - I think he's a poor choice.

Spl1nter

Im surprised so few people know who dde is. Hes one of the top Canadian Terrans on North America. Extremely underrated, looking at the people invited they are trying to balance out the number of people playing each race equally. Makes for less mirror matches which is a good thing. I wouldn't expect any Koreans. The tournament requires the commitment to be able to fly out to LA for an extended amount to time to participate in the final portion of the season. No Korean in Code A or S is going to commit to that now because of GSL.

Jeff-DSA

syllogism said:
Goody is one of the most accomplished players around so your hate is misguided

I can't see a valid reason to complain about GoOdy. The guy plays a real strong game.

Spl1nter said:
Im surprised so few people know who dde is. Hes one of the top terrans on North America. Extremely underrated, looking at the people invited they are trying to balance out the number of people playing each race equally. Makes for less mirror matches which is a good thing. I wouldn't expect any Koreans. The tournament requires the commitment to be able to fly out to LA for an extended amount to time to participate in the final portion of the season. No Korean in Code A or S is going to commit to that now because of GSL.

Ah yeah, good point about the time commitment and the GSL conflict.

syllogism

twofold said:

He is consistently winning against top EU players, so while you can speculate how that is possible considering how bad his macro and micro is, he is more than deserving to be in nasl. In fact, his ELO is one of the highest

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Still no Ret, Morrow or DeMuslim, going to be some good players having to play in the open tournament.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Man I have little desire to watch the nasl. So much hype all gone for me.

Yeah you can't bill something as having the best SC2 players and then you invite mediocre players and leave out far and away better players...

Kinda surprised at the kinda weak lineup given InControl has influence over who's invited. Dude knows his shit, I can't imagine him being super happy over the lineup thus far

F#A#Oo

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Kinda surprised at the kinda weak lineup given InControl has influence over who's invited. Dude knows his shit, I can't imagine him being super happy over the lineup thus far

Tbh he doesn't come across as wanting too much mixing of Koreans in competitions and possibly even Europeans...I mean when ever he has a chance to take a shot at the Korean scene and players he does...

I remember when he tried to argue that the Korean way of doing SC is not as good and is detrimental to player progression...

Corran Horn said:
Man I have little desire to watch the nasl. So much hype all gone for me.
There are still a lot of good players there tbh, but yeah I'll probably catch what I can and wait for the 16 man finals.

Deadman said:
So even if they invite only koreans from now there will only be 10.

Huge fail. Gonna be great watching the equivalent of the third round of mlg going on for 13 weeks...

You expected there to be more than 10 Koreans in the North American Star League? I wouldn't be surprised if there's less than 10. A 30 NA/10 EU/10 SK mix would have been a good idea to me, but I wouldn't fault them if that's not the case.

Won

PhoenixDark said:
You expected there to be more than 10 Koreans in the North American Star League? I wouldn't be surprised if there's less than 10. A 30 NA/10 EU/10 SK mix would have been a good idea to me, but I wouldn't fault them if that's not the case.

It's just a name/a brand. After the "the greatest players the world has ever seen" line you can't blame anyone expecting more out of this thing.

They should have invited much less players anyway and fill the rest through qualification tournaments. The list of invited players feels really weird by now.

Spl1nter

Won said:
They should have invited much less players anyway and fill the rest through qualification tournaments. The list of invited players feels really weird by now.

I know man, no combatex yet, hes always close to the top of NA Top 200

I would have liked 50 players invited, then 10 extra spots available in an open tournament; so 60 players overall, 6 groups. Then the same tournament set up currently being used.

farnham

Banned
did anyone have a game not being recognized by battle.net

i swear that i played two games today that were not recognized on my history

weird.

Karl2177

scottnak said:
Yeaaaah! Added myself to the list. Now taking the title of worst SC2 player on gaf!
Soon to be taking your spot. I just don't play 1v1 as much.

That and I'm still milking my practice league matches. lol

Trickster

F#A#Oo said:
Tbh he doesn't come across as wanting too much mixing of Koreans in competitions and possibly even Europeans...I mean when ever he has a chance to take a shot at the Korean scene and players he does...

I remember when he tried to argue that the Korean way of doing SC is not as good and is detrimental to player progression...

What? I've often heard him talk about how the reason koreans were so much better than foreigners in SC:BW was because they had things like teamhouses and had the opportunity to train as much as they did in an enviroment where they were always surrounded by SC:BW talk.

At most he's said that he think that koreans might be overdoing it a bit. Which I kinda think has some truth to it, considering they often train 12 hours a day and only get 1 day off per month.

Was about to go to bed, then saw InControl was streaming. Damn I learn more about ZvP watching him than just about anything else (outside of Mr Bitter of course). Really wish Idra was more vocal during his streams :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm, can I still change my rank? I'm thinking of going top 8 in my division... a possibility?

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

Untitled-6.jpg

KNEEL BEFORE ME

don't look at my average

Aylinato

k, so I'm rather good with late-game builds, but now I need to practice some earlier-game(like, 3 gate or so) so, for the next week or so I will be practicing that, as well as early expanding

(2 warpgate w/forge is awesome for expanding in team games(gives detection and some defense while having some units as well)

syllogism

PhoenixDark said:
I don't think incontrol is very involved, if at all, in the inviting process. Having said that, you can justify every invite so far in one way or another and it would be difficult to come up with a better list that doesn't include more koreans. A lot of spectators simply aren't familiar enough with the scene to actually know who is good and who isn't, but that isn't stopping them from hating players based mostly on their own ignorance. Not to say these lists aren't to an extent subjective, they very much are, but most people simply don't know enough to even have an informed opinion.

YakiSOBA

I'm terran and I've been having a lot of trouble on ladder with toss that goes fast DT's...

They always hide the building somewhere ridiculous, what are the signs I should be looking out for? Do I need to re-scout soon after my first scout gets in to double check for things?

When they hit with DT's, I've only got maybe 1 scan and then when it runs out they just come back... terrible :(

ultron87

YakiSOBA said:
I'm terran and I've been having a lot of trouble on ladder with toss that goes fast DT's...

They always hide the building somewhere ridiculous, what are the signs I should be looking out for? Do I need to re-scout soon after my first scout gets in to double check for things?

When they hit with DT's, I've only got maybe 1 scan and then when it runs out they just come back... terrible :(

Just have a unit poke it's head up the ramp. If they have a general lack of units that cost a ton of gas (aka sentries) some sort of DT rush is certainly a possibility.

Aylinato

what you should be looking at is how many zealot-sentries-stalker they have

It is a very gas intensive build, they can make it look like a normal 4gate, but the massing of zealots should be a hint they are going DTs(also try to see if they have a twilight council, they normally won't hide that, and if you see that before a robo bay it definitely means DTs)

Also, if you face someone named Aylinato, watch out for DTs, or carriers.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Aylinato said:
I wouldn't know, as I don't play non-casual games
it occurred to me yesterday in the tsl, the idea of the mass sentry is so that you can secure the wide natural against allins, ut on maps with safe rear expansions [with 1 less gyser in crevasses case], it seems to me toss could afford to cut sentries since it has a much smaller area to secure.

>_>

but i still see 'lol i maek 8 sentry'.

Aylinato

Pandaman said:
it occurred to me yesterday in the tsl, the idea of the mass sentry is so that you can secure the wide natural against allins, ut on maps with safe rear expansions [with 1 less gyser in crevasses case], it seems to me toss could afford to cut sentries since it has a much smaller area to secure.

>_>

but i still see 'lol i maek 8 sentry'.

I make 4 sentries, then I cut them out for voids/colosi death ball of DOOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom