• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
HolyCheck said:
The NASL just announced on twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/nasltv) that they're offering a pre-sale of Season 1 Passes. The passes are normally $25, but w/ the pre-sale discount (20%) they'll be going for $20. You just have to use the code "presalenasl" when purchasing. According to the purchase website this package includes:

» 1080p live stream access

» 24/7 Video On Demand access to all content
(including weekly shows, analysis, highlights, and matches)

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=207744
The price is good but just like every other big tournament, I will stick to the free stream for the first season and see how this pans out.

Cheeto

Pandaman said:
funny story, you can get collosi out in a normal 1base build fast enough that it is physically impossible for zerg to even have a hive completed at the same time.

it comes out of your t2 production facility around the same time zerg gets muta. alittle bit earlier actually.
Because everyone knows that colossus are super strong even when they have nothing else backing them up

ezrarh

The NASL thing is a joke. I don't know why I would pay for something that's unproven especially considering the problems they had with their showmatch. Price is good if they can show that they can get out a good product.

Pandaman said:
funny story, you can get collosi out in a normal 1base build fast enough that it is physically impossible for zerg to even have a hive completed at the same time.
it comes out of your t2 production facility around the same time zerg gets muta. alittle bit earlier actually.
Fastest Possible Colossi = Speed of Fastest Possible Ultralisk. Viability? Zero.

Pandaman said:
just like... every other unit except marines?
And speedlings, Mutalisks, Marauders, blink-stalker

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:
Fastest Possible Colossi = Speed of Fastest Possible Ultralisk.
hahaha i wish.

it takes 6 minutes just to build all the necessary buildings to get an ultra, [thats assuming you have all the min/gas already] you can easily have a small colossi push at my door by then. its all people used to do back in beta, same with 7minute muta. its not a good build, but that doesn't magically set collosi back a tier. they cannot be compared to ultralisks. battlecruisers are ultralisk tier. mothership is ultralisk tier.

FINALLY got my first win. Terran V. Protoss, standard barracks build for me. I find his base with my scout before I even hit 11, he chases me off but doesn't pursue. I throw down a barracks just outside his vision and manage to spam 8 marines to him before he even starts scouting. Kill all 5 of his zealots and mange to make him rage quit.

I know it's a dumb thing and will probably never work again, but I've finally got my first win.

:)

scogoth

Lord_Nergal said:
FINALLY got my first win. Terran V. Protoss, standard barracks build for me. I find his base with my scout before I even hit 11, he chases me off but doesn't pursue. I throw down a barracks just outside his vision and manage to spam 8 marines to him before he even starts scouting. Kill all 5 of his zealots and mange to make him rage quit.

I know it's a dumb thing and will probably never work again, but I've finally got my first win.

:)

Go out with 2 mauarders with concussive shell cause apparently no ff in the early game for toss makes it balanced.

V_Arnold

It would be awesome to see someone creating an April 1: Meta, Xel Naga, Etc Custom Map where the 1.4.11 "patch changes" are present :D

Pandaman said:
hahaha i wish.

it takes 6 minutes just to build all the necessary buildings to get an ultra, [thats assuming you have all the min/gas already] you can easily have a small colossi push at my door by then. its all people used to do back in beta, same with 7minute muta. its not a good build, but that doesn't magically set collosi back a tier. they cannot be compared to ultralisks. battlecruisers are ultralisk tier. mothership is ultralisk tier.
Mothership comes as fast as Colossi if you rush to it, same with Ultralisks. Just because it's not sane doesn't mean its not possible. The tech comes slightly faster but the units from the tech come slower. A decent rush IE 3-4 Collossi comes out as fast as 3-4 Ultralisks.

mcrae

panda can you detail that ling/bling strat you have been having so much success with? maybe a link to whichever game you learned it from?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ChronicleX said:
Mothership comes as fast as Colossi if you rush to it, same with Ultralisks. Just because it's not sane doesn't mean its not possible.
except in this case, its not sane and not possible.
the quickest ultra i can get comes a full 2 minutes later than the quickest collossi i can get. and the collossi comes with decent production as an added bonus, you could win bronze league games with it at the least.

The tech comes slightly faster but the units from the tech come slower. A decent rush IE 3-4 Collossi comes out as fast as 3-4 Ultralisks.
no it really doesn't. even if you cut unit production [including queen] until hive, it really doesnt. there are full minutes inbetween.

what makes it so hard for you to accept that collossi are closer to seige tanks than ultras?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mcrae said:
panda can you detail that ling/bling strat you have been having so much success with? maybe a link to whichever game you learned it from?
dimaga vs san, i posted a replay pack of 6 games earlier. -.-

its not really a good idea to do build orders with zerg, im sure my ling count/bane timing/lair timing/third timing was different in every game. you just have to react to what you see while moving towards your goal.

Pandaman said:
what makes it so hard for you to accept that collossi are closer to seige tanks than ultras?
Because they are not? Seige Tanks are akin to Immortals / Void Ray / Mutalisk. Colossi/Carrier in a decent number is Ultralisk Tier when done ASAP. Your looking at around 9 mins for 3-4 Ultra or 3-4 Colossi.

BigAT

Pandaman said:
except in this case, its not sane and not possible.
the quickest ultra i can get comes a full 2 minutes later than the quickest collossi i can get. and the collossi comes with decent production as an added bonus, you could win bronze league games with it at the least.

no it really doesn't. even if you cut unit production [including queen] until hive, it really doesnt. there are full minutes inbetween.

Why are you even bothering Panda? Don't feed the troll.

While I'm sure as hell not putting down money until I see results, the hate NASL gets is puzzling and somewhat funny. $400,000. A host of pro gamers. A studio. And so far, no behind the scenes drama or anonymous reports on shady behavior, bad quality, etc. I would be completely and utterly shocked if the production values aren't balls to the wall.

The show match was bad on nearly every level - from the casting to the production to the games. InControl has admitted that and has been working to fix it. I trust him, and ultimately money wins out. You don't put up nearly half a million dollars and make something half assed.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think too many people are projecting their dislike of Incontrol onto the NASL, according to some people he runs the entire thing and everything they do wrong is his fault. I'm unsure at this point if I want to pay, it's not that I can't afford it, I'd prefer to see what they produce before I support it.

Quite a lot has been handled poorly already, the league is supposed to start on the 11th but nobody is sure, their proper website still hasn't launched, and then you have the whole deal with NightEnd and DeMuslim.

BigAT

PhoenixDark said:
While I'm sure as hell not putting down money until I see results, the hate NASL gets is puzzling and somewhat funny. $400,000. A host of pro gamers. A studio. And so far, no behind the scenes drama or anonymous reports on shady behavior, bad quality, etc. I would be completely and utterly shocked if the production values aren't balls to the wall.

The show match was bad on nearly every level - from the casting to the production to the games. InControl has admitted that and has been working to fix it. I trust him, and ultimately money wins out. You don't put up nearly half a million dollars and make something half assed.
I think it's because people are ignoring what it's going to be and are basing their expectations on what it has been so far, which is simply human nature. The only experience people have had with NASL so far is the constant teasing of the announcement/the announcements about the announcement, which I have to say was pretty obnoxious, and the poorly executed showmatch. If you look at those items as the totality of NASL, of course it would be easy to hate it. I'm personally pretty excited for it as the prize money alone should make for a fantastic league.

Plus some people associate the league entirely with inControl and hate him, so they hate the league by proxy.

ezrarh

PhoenixDark said:

I don't think anybody's not excited about what the NASL can be. It's just everything that's happened so far has been lackluster given the amount of hype set up by Incontrol. I would love for it to succeed, I just think it's silly to try to get season preorders when they have no history of producing a quality product. Compare that to GomTV who already had experience with BW tournaments and even they had issues with international streaming at first.

Ikuu said:
I think too many people are projecting their dislike of Incontrol onto the NASL, according to some people he runs the entire thing and everything they do wrong is his fault. I'm unsure at this point if I want to pay, it's not that I can't afford it, I'd prefer to see what they produce before I support it.

Quite a lot has been handled poorly already, the league is supposed to start on the 11th but nobody is sure, their proper website still hasn't launched, and then you have the whole deal with NightEnd and DeMuslim.
Some player posted on TL last night (i think it was Slush?) saying that the players knew all the relevent info, but I don't see how keeping it a secret from the public is helping them at all.

ezrarh said:
I don't think anybody's not excited about what the NASL can be. It's just everything that's happened so far has been lackluster given the amount of hype set up by Incontrol. I would love for it to succeed, I just think it's silly to try to get season preorders when they have no history of producing a quality product. Compare that to GomTV who already had experience with BW tournaments and even they had issues with international streaming at first.

But the showmatch was awhile ago, and they've had plenty of time to fix the mistakes. I'd share your opinion if InControl or the sponsors were refusing to admit NASL had any problems, but they've been completely honest. Same thing with the guy who runs MLG - he admitted its flaws, told the community how he was addressing them, and continued on.

Personally, TSL has set the bar for US event streams/tournaments. Their stream is amazing, the casters are amazing, maps are good, etc; hell they even made sure to move the Ustream logo out of the top right corner of the screen after fans complained. A lot of NASL's early details centered on community outreach/interaction, and if they make good on that, as TSL has, it'll be awesome.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
X15ZI.jpg

xl132.png

bTyfE.gif

kekeke

PhoenixDark said:

Yep. I'm gonna need to branch out soon and start learning some builds for other races. I have a long way to go, but I think I'm improving.

Still managed to let myself be cannon and zerg rushed today though. Doh.

PhoenixDark said:
While I'm sure as hell not putting down money until I see results, the hate NASL gets is puzzling and somewhat funny.

So far, the NASL consists of a few threads on teamliquid and a website that looks straight from the 90s. Nothing more. It's just not very encouraging. They have no platform to interact with the community, no clear announcements of the start date ('somewhere in April?'), an obscure selection process, unclarity about spokespersons/involved people.

Seriously, based on what we've seen so far, it's most likely we'll see a sub-standard production that burns through that money in no time (wherever they got THAT from) and then has to quit because no sponsors have stepped up.

That said, I will pay my $25, even without knowing much about the product I will receive. I want the NASL to succeed--it's just not looking very likely at the moment.

Burger

I've got 2 StarCraft II Guest Passes which allow free play for 7 hours. If you want one PM me for the code. First come first served.

Lord_Nergal said:
Any tips on how to counter cannon rush?
Build barracks close enough to ramp to see probe come in, patrol a scv around you base as barracks is building to spot if one got in while you couldn't see, pull 4 ish scvs to kill pylon if one is going up. opponent should be way behind when you defend

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Night end just posted this "After that incident with blizzard 2 years ago or so they changed the rules and since then i can go and play in the blizzard tours but there was a diferent situation then now . Im not very sure but xiris said and some of u said why i didnt ask NASL if i have to give them a prove about visa , well i just looked in to the MSN arhive and i saw there that after xiris told me what i have to do to apply for NASL i asked him exactly like this ''anything else i have to know or ? " and he asnwerd ''that's basically it '' , so i actualy asked him if i have to know or do anything besides the video making, the contract sign etc
Anyways now i know why they didnt invite me, and it has nothing to do with visa ..."

in response to the reason why he wasnt in the NASL

which was

NightEnD: Same reason as Kas. He assured us that he could get a VISA, but we only accepted players who actually have a copy of a VISA that they could show us.

kinda shitty I guess, lack of communication, seems he did ask if he had to do anything.. and they just said no...

Lord_Nergal said:
Any tips on how to counter cannon rush?
If your Terran, let them cannon the fuck out of you and when it reaches your minerals, fly away to an expo.
If your zerg make a spine between your main/ramp to make sure you can walk out of your base to counter
As protoss, make cannons. Cannons are the counter to cannons.

Ark

This is annoying, I played SC2 ALOT during the beta, at least 4-5 hours a day probably, I quit about 2 weeks post-release for reasons I can't even remember, started playing again last week and I'm in Silver 4v4 (random), so close to gold I can taste it.

My problem, is that from the beta, to now (almost a year) every sodding protoss keeps massing void rays/carriers. I fucking HATE void rays. Admittedly, it's partly my fault for not scouting enough and not being aggressive enough, but nevertheless.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i think the problem is you're playing in 4v4 so 75% of your strength will be in the hands of someone who may or may not be able to spell their own name.

Did some laddering tonight and again there doesn't seem to be many terran. Of my first 12 games in season 2 only 1 has been a terran and it was similar before the reset. It's kind of difficult for me to practice that matchup which sucks because its my favourite.

I'm mostly facing protoss. Pretty much every single one 4 gates except tonight where i had 3 in a row go for a void ray rush.

Anyway i was looking for some general tips so i thought i would ask.

How should i scout for a 4 gate? I generally check the top of their ramp to see what they have and try to keep my drone alive for as long as possible. Is that basically all i should be doing? It feels to early to be saccing an overload but sometimes i just can't work out what there doing.

Also once i realise they are going 4 gate should i just go spines + lings to defend? Thats what i've been doing so far. It seems as though my survival pretty much hinges on getting my spines up.

As for the void ray rush i have just been building extra queens and getting my evo chamber which makes them easy to defend. My question is if i know they have voids should i go hydra or just go for corrupters?

Hydras seem to work well but there is a scary period when they first start getting collusus out. Maybe i could get some hydras and then switch into roach corruptor?

One other thing i wouldn't mind knowing is how to do baneling drops. I just don't know how i should drop them out of the overlord. I usually just click on the individual units as the overlord goes over the mineral line but this makes it very difficult to do multiple drops.

Is there a better way to do it or do i need to just practice more?

Ark

AdventureRacing said:
Is there a better way to do it or do i need to just practice more?

It has been a LONG time since I did a 4-gate rush, but IIRC against zerg, a handy amount of Roaches & one or two spine crawlers usually thwarted the attack, unless I could get into the mineral line.

Pandaman said:
i think the problem is you're playing in 4v4 so 75% of your strength will be in the hands of someone who may or may not be able to spell their own name.

That is true, I can carry one person, but I can't carry more than that. I had a game yesterday where the Zerg hadn't expanded by the 15th minute, and must have had only 18 drones. We won because we took out two of the enemy with an early rush. Silver ftw..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom