• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawl_USC

Thanks to the Open Tournament and the MLG Dallas stream, I'm going to try and get back into Starcraft II after falling off of it after a month or so of playing. I'm catching up on my Day 9 Newbie Tuesdays, and am currently watching the "How to Get into SC2" Video which is awesome. I have to say its very probable that I've spent more time watching Day 9's videos than I have playing SC2, the dude is just awesome. But I am bound and deteremined that I am going to actually play a fair number of games on a regular basis again.

Back when I played near launch I started with T and then switched to P for a while while getting somewhat better and then finally back to T when I got promoted to silver. Do you guys think I should roll with T or P this time around?

zlatko

Banned
Played a lot of ladder last night after GSL. Well maybe not a lot forgot the exact amount, but got around 4-5 ZvZ's in and I won them all if I remember correctly. I had a brilliant game on scrap station where I went 7 roach rush into an expand behind it. I set his economy behind, and then droned up until I could bring out a lot of mutas. Used early mutas to harass and force him to build anti-air spores.

I got on 4 base, killed his third... and he managed to get up several brood lords. He went after my main with them and I just went and took out what he had left with my mutas/roaches/lings.

I had a game after as well with ZvZ, set the guy back with my 7RR really bad, and went ling/muta to seal the deal. It was on Xel naga, and when he saw I was going to beat him there he took around 20+ speedlings to run to my natural and wreak havoc. He was greeted by 3 spines, 10ish lings and 7 mutas I macroed up as I was destroying him.

I only wish I could play this solid each game. :( My ZvP is my weakest match up. I try to break the player with my 7RR by going all in with it instead of expanding behind it. If I try to contain him as I take expos I end up losing. If I try to just play a standard 14gas/14 pool macro game against a Toss I lost to a timing push with collxen. If I don't break him with the rush I basically lose trying to play from there.

ZvT isn't as bad for me. I'm just having issues with them getting a lot of marauders out quickly and coming to roll me. I need a solid build order that counters marine/marauder pushes early on. I suck with baneling micro and I never know how many of them to make.

Ark

Kawl_USC said:
Back when I played near launch I started with T and then switched to P for a while while getting somewhat better and then finally back to T when I got promoted to silver. Do you guys think I should roll with T or P this time around?

Go with which ever you play best with. I started off beta with Protoss and I've always loved protoss. But when SC2 released I went Terran for some reason, and sucked. I'd get all pissed off when I lost too, then I went zerg and did better than Terran, but not as good as protoss.

Quit for 6-7 months, came back as Protoss and now I'm better than ever. I kept watching Day9 throughout those 6-7 months and I've learnt so much. What's more is that I don't care about losing anymore!

Thanks to the Open Tournament and the MLG Dallas stream, I'm going to try and get back into Starcraft II after falling off of it after a month or so of playing. I'm catching up on my Day 9 Newbie Tuesdays, and am currently watching the "How to Get into SC2" Video which is awesome. I have to say its very probable that I've spent more time watching Day 9's videos than I have playing SC2, the dude is just awesome. But I am bound and deteremined that I am going to actually play a fair number of games on a regular basis again.

The best newbie Tuesday so far has to be the two dailies on Mechanics, helped me so much.

Just came top player in a 4v4 full of gold/platinums (I'm top 8 Silver), dead pleased :)

zlatko

Banned
Ark said:
Go with which ever you play best with. I started off beta with Protoss and I've always loved protoss. But when SC2 released I went Terran for some reason, and sucked. I'd get all pissed off when I lost too, then I went zerg and did better than Terran, but not as good as protoss.

Quit for 6-7 months, came back as Protoss and now I'm better than ever. I kept watching Day9 throughout those 6-7 months and I've learnt so much. What's more is that I don't care about losing anymore!

The best newbie Tuesday so far has to be the two dailies on Mechanics, helped me so much.

You should pick Zerg and see how long you can sustain the not caring about losing outlook. :p

Kawl_USC

Ark said:

Just came top player in a 4v4 full of gold/platinums (I'm top 8 Silver), dead pleased :)

Thanks for the response! I think I'm going to end up going Protoss because I recall feeling bored with Terran units (probably cause I usually just with bioball).

Time to watch those two daily's again. Pylons and Probes!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Kawl_USC said:

gaf has a shortage of t's atm :p

Wow isn't the KvtW match stuff fun.....

Set 1 - FOUR GATE!
Set 2 - MAWR FOUR GATE!!
Set 3 - Oh deer god plz don't 4 gate me again, I guess I should FOUR GATE!!!

BigAT

I just won a ladder match where I was feeling saucy and went for a 15 Command Center. It actually worked out really well, it got scouted far too late for my opponent to do much about it. I think that might actually be my plan of attack from now on Tal'Darim Altar, that map is huge enough that you can probably get away with it more often than not.

zlatko

Banned
ultron87 said:
Most GAF Toss barely ever 4-gate.

You follow each on ladder? When gaf plays each other yeah you're right, but I'd bet 20 bucks that if we could take each P player on gaf, look at their 1v1 games, then see how many of those were 4 gate builds then we'd find a high rate of 4 gates happening. What can you do though? The build is simple, extremely effective, and if done right either wins you the game there or allows you to take a big lead to win later on with a timing push they can't hold off.

Most of Gaf is P though isn't it with Z a close second ?

ezrarh

Pandaman said:
gaffers ladder?

That's actually true. I think I'm one of the few that ladders and even now, I'm not doing as much anymore, and you can look up my builds on ladder and it would be rare to find a 4gate in a PvZ or PvT.

zlatko

Banned
Trickster said:

Touche sir. Touche.

I'll concede I'm just assuming, but the 4 gate is a beastly build. If I had a build THAT good on Z I'd practice and abuse it often when I ladder. That's just being honest.

I ladder a lot... or at least when I boot up SC2 that's what I do the most. I want to hit gold-platinum by this summer as either a Z or a T. I have a harder time with T though... I swear I'm the only person who finds T the hardest race to play. :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
yea the top 5 masters are all similar in games played:
28 games ksaen
21 games ezrarh
20 games mardil
19 games me
14 games holden

holy, wedge made masters!

Deadly said:
So I just found out mules(and probably SCV's) can repair Colossi...*mindblown*
You can put an SCV on auto repair and load it with a low health tank to a medvaic and it will repair it while inside.

Don't know if Blizzard changed that or not.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So I haven't really played ladder 1v1 since August, because I placed in Gold league and was intimidated (I've never played an RTS in multiplayer before). I decided to man up and take a shot in season 2 and I lost my one placement match, placing me in Platinum. Now I'm too scared to continue again.

:( I'm a chickenshit.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Lyphen said:
So I haven't really played ladder 1v1 since August, because I placed in Gold league and was intimidated (I've never played an RTS in multiplayer before). I decided to man up and take a shot in season 2 and I lost my one placement match, placing me in Platinum. Now I'm too scared to continue again.

you're scared of what exactly?
losses dont show up outside of masters, you could go 0/20 and your profile will look like anyone else whose only played their placement.

eventually you'll be in the right spot, so hang lose.

Man, had a bad case of When Cheese Goes Wrong. Scouted a toss who clearly was gearing up to 4-Gate on close positions Slag Pits, so I did a 5RR/speedling attack. Dunno why because obviously he stopped it with FFs, although I managed to kill a couple Sentries. Almost won the game a few minutes later with a big speedling/baneling attack at his natural but wound up losing.

Next game against zerg: tried another 5RR against a 14 hatch build in close air positions on Metaopolis, fucked it up majorly by messing up drones at the beginning, and lost.

Then as a trifecta of fail I lost to a 4-gate in my next game. Three dumb losses in a row. Played atrocious in each. Gonna have to play some custom games to warm up before laddering I guess. I really think I can get to Masters this season.

Spl1nter

PhoenixDark said:
Next game against zerg: tried another 5RR against a 14 hatch build in close air positions on Metaopolis, fucked it up majorly by messing up drones at the beginning, and lost..

Should of done a speedling all in. 5rr isnt that great against zerg going 14 hatch

Spl1nter said:
Should of done a speedling all in. 5rr isnt that great against zerg going 14 hatch

If you go 13pool it usually works. I fucked up and accidentally went 14pool, so I should have just gone heavy speedling.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Pandaman said:
you're scared of what exactly?
losses dont show up outside of masters, you could go 0/20 and your profile will look like anyone else whose only played their placement.

eventually you'll be in the right spot, so hang lose.
Mostly just being where I don't belong, and going through a series of downranks. It'd obviously be for the best, but I just don't think its goings to be a very positive process. I am determined to continue when finals are over though. I had fun, even with the loss.

Ark

Lyphen said:

Just start playing games and get on with it. I went through a 14 game losing streak in season 1, it's painful, but you just gotta keep on truckin'. You wont improve if you don't play.

For me it's the other way around. For some reason, every time I do 3v3, I get REALLY shit team mates, so I'm in bronze 3v3 and I'm scared of bronze (Have you ever been matched up with 2 bronze team mates against 3 gold/platinum guys? Lolz ensue quickly).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Qv2VN.png

Due to the precieved casualization of nontourney gaf events, we the lonely souls of the 1v1 community hereby declare the first unofficial neogaf KOTH will begin one week from today!

the rules:

- players will be assigned a random number and play sequentially.
- if a player is not present, he or she is moved to the back of the line.
- players who are twice absent for their slotted round are disqualified.
- players will be scored by number of eliminations so if you're first don't think you're doomed.
- the last player standing will start the next weeks KOTH.
- all games will be 1v1.
- the player who GG's first is the loser.
- observers must be queued for a match that night
- challenger picks the map.
- Challengers may not pick a map that has been chosen in the last 3 games.

approved maps:
MLG shattered temple
MLG metalopolis
Xel naga caverns
Shakuras plateua [1.3]
Taldarim Alter
GSL crevasse
GSL terminus RE
Typhon peaks
GSL crossfire SE
Testbug

what we are looking for:
people who want to be the boss nerds. [players]
people who can stream if possible.

Because mrmister shouldnt have to do all the work.

Well, The SC Karma Gods repayed me by allowing my next game to be my first ladder win!

I destroyed him, but he decided to be a nub and build pylons everywhere and waste my time. It was worth it, and I trolled him a bit.

"So you decided to waste my time?"
"Yep"
"Well, it's okay because it is my first win. L2P nub. I can't believe I needed to say it to you."

Little bitch.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Awesome Animals said:
I destroyed him, but he decided to be a nub and build pylons everywhere and waste my time.
luckily as zerg you can control troll by just saying that as a zerg there's nothing you love more than droning in peace, then just drone to 200. :p

BigAT

Awesome Animals said:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/158259-1v1-terran-metalopolis

I got SCV rushed. The kid didn't even build any units while rushing me. I tried to focus attack and I think that is where I lost.
I just checked out your replay for you. A couple of tips:

-when your SCV that is building is attacked by an enemy worker, you want to pull just a single SCV off of minerals to attack it. That's all you need in order to deflect it and pulling any more means you're wasting serious time from mining.

-when you pulled all of your SCVs to engage his, you want to attack them by attack moving (hit A, then click behind his SCVs) into them instead of doing the targeting yourself. You had two more SCVs than he did before the engagement and should have been able to win that battle.

Cheese like that really only happens at the lower levels and when you learn to deal with it properly, you'll just laugh at how easy a win it was for you.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
Qv2VN.png

what we are looking for:
people who want to be the boss nerds. [players]
people who can stream if possible.

Because mrmister shouldnt have to do all the work.
Im working, so unless its a diff day, I cant stream.

Q8D3vil

fuck tvt again
1 hour 11 minutes in game time in teldarin.
infantry mech and air were 33

poor bastard kept producing bc's but i switched to marines and we all know marines counter everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom