• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a rather off topic note. Can everyone see each other's avatars? I can't see any of them, and I don't have the edit option for my avatar. My options also has display avatars selected.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Awesome Animals said:
On a rather off topic note. Can everyone see each other's avatars? I can't see any of them, and I don't have the edit option for my avatar. My options also has display avatars selected.
no one can see em.

ponygaf is group huggling in a basement while the storm passes.

Pandaman said:
no one can see em.

May I ask why. I am trying to wade through the stupid avatar change thread to figure it out, but it is filled with uninformative bitching and mocking of evillore.

EDIT:: I will say, GAF without avatars is a cold and depressing place. And I think I finally found the explanation for why...sort of. Something about too many lurkers because of the stupid Wii2 rumors.

BigAT

Awesome Animals said:
May I ask why. I am trying to wade through the stupid avatar change thread to figure it out, but it is filled with uninformative bitching and mocking of evillore..
Sounds like they turned them off to save the servers as a result of the popularity of the new Nintendo hardware thread.

Pandaman said:
no one can see em.

pony.jpg

Ultrabum

Ok I just lost because of this, I dunno if I would call it a bug or not.

So a terran is making 2 bunkers at my natural, no big deal. I pull 6 drones, put 3 on attack on the 1 marine he has. The other 2 I tell to attack 1 scv, and the last one I tell to attack the other scv. I chase the marine away, like far away. Look back at my drones and they are all standing there. I know that I clicked correctly, because they started attacking and both scvs were damaged.

My question is there anyway to stop "bad drone AI" or do I just need to watch all 5 like a hawk?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
BruceLeeRoy said:
T v T base hunting is truly one of the worst possible things you can go through in SC2. Shit is like torture.
Master league TvT is fun to watch though!

...anything below is mind numbing to watch.

edit:
Updated OP with current tournaments going on now and made a Completed tournys section!

.... I probably only one who uses those links because im too lazy to subb the threads -.-''

mcrae

Ultrabum said:
Ok I just lost because of this, I dunno if I would call it a bug or not.

So a terran is making 2 bunkers at my natural, no big deal. I pull 6 drones, put 3 on attack on the 1 marine he has. The other 2 I tell to attack 1 scv, and the last one I tell to attack the other scv. I chase the marine away, like far away. Look back at my drones and they are all standing there. I know that I clicked correctly, because they started attacking and both scvs were damaged.

My question is there anyway to stop "bad drone AI" or do I just need to watch all 5 like a hawk?

i blieve sometimes if a ling/drone is attacking a scv at once side of the building, then the scv moves 'inside' the building for too long, or back to the other side, the ai will stop attacking cause it cant reach

Corran Horn said:
Master league TvT is fun to watch though!

...anything below is mind numbing to watch.

edit:
Updated OP with current tournaments going on now and made a Completed tournys section!

.... I probably only one who uses those links because im too lazy to subb the threads -.-''

too lazy to sub threads, but not too lazy to edit the OP

Boken

Banned
mcrae said:
i blieve sometimes if a ling/drone is attacking a scv at once side of the building, then the scv moves 'inside' the building for too long, or back to the other side, the ai will stop attacking cause it cant reach
Correct. When a command becomes unsuccessful, the unit will just stop trying to do it. To circumvent this, hold shift and queue multiple attack comands on building scvs so that if an attack fails, it'll try again.

Without avatars, everybody is a lurker. I miss lurkers.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ashhong said:
I am so lost in the MC drama. Can someone help me out and point me to a video to the cheese?

edit: nvm, i found it :)
MC hasnt reached Boxer status yet with cheese.

Boxer does it. OMG BEST PLAYER EVER!

Ashhong

damn, that was a close final game. whitera was so close to scouting it, just a bunch of small unlucky mistakes. damn good stuff. definitely not something to get upset at MC over.

Ashhong

mcrae said:
out of curiosity, why didnt you post the last game instead of the second?
cause you had to go to his profile to find out that he had them all.. so why not the fifth?

these are the things i think about all the time .____.

I was already watching the entire series from game 1, and was currently watching game 2 when I replied to the post. Didn't want to go to the profile and get the 5th link.

Just saw the series. With so much money on the line I won't criticize MC for doing everything in his power to get it. But I will say his jubilation after that cheesy win was unsportsmanlike.

mcrae

Ashhong said:
I was already watching the entire series from game 1, and was currently watching game 2 when I replied to the post. Didn't want to go to the profile and get the 5th link.
o, ok then

PhoenixDark said:
Just saw the series. With so much money on the line I won't criticize MC for doing everything in his power to get it. But I will say his jubilation after that cheesy win was unsportsmanlike.

100% agree. ive seen a few of his celebrations/attitude at gsl and the guy is a huge tool

Boken

Banned
He was down 0-2, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be happy. He took a huge risk in the last game and it paid off. You two are acting as if he used some disgusting under hand tactic that gave him an unfair advantage and hence he shouldnt be jubilant because its unsportsmanlike?

feh.

Q8D3vil

Ashhong said:
damn, that was a close final game. whitera was so close to scouting it, just a bunch of small unlucky mistakes. damn good stuff. definitely not something to get upset at MC over.
i don't hate mc or anything but he pretty much abused the map because its play like a 1v1 map instead of a 2v2 map thanks to the stupid cross position rule.
if it was the normal shakura he won't be able to do it because he have to scout 2 bases before putting any gateway which make it very hard to pull off.
i don't blame mc i blame the stupid map and rules map.

haters gonna hate, MC is a strong player and he actually has a bit of personality about him. If he had cheesed probably anyone other than White Ra this wouldn't be an issue. TLO cheeses alot more often than MC but people seem to love him, MKP made his name (literally) from cheesing zergs in gsl and like Corran said Boxers marine/scv rushes are legendary but he's Boxer so he gets a pass.

Ashhong

Q8D3vil said:
i don't hate mc or anything but he pretty much abused the map because its play like a 1v1 map instead of a 2v2 map thanks to the stupid cross position rule.
if it was the normal shakura he won't be able to do it because he have to scout 2 bases before putting any gateway which make it very hard to pull off.
i don't blame mc i blame the stupid map and rules map.

But nothing stopped Whitera from doing the same. Also, I'm not sure how he knew Whitera was there. I cant remember if MC scouted the lower right or not, but its not a 1v1 map. Notice how Whitera scouted the wrong base.

Striek

Ashhong said:
But nothing stopped Whitera from doing the same. Also, I'm not sure how he knew Whitera was there. I cant remember if MC scouted the lower right or not, but its not a 1v1 map. Notice how Whitera scouted the wrong base.
Its old Shakuras plateau, most tournaments were disabling the 'close' spawns. I presume that was the case and Whitera simply didn't know.

Q8D3vil

Ashhong said:
its a 1v1 map because they they don't want the straight pushes through the rocks to happen, so players can only spawn cross position.

white ra don't like to do 4 gate rush let alone 2 gate zealots cheese ( he probably forgot the rules since he scouted the wrong base anyway).

the way i see it, MC abused the map and the rules because its something that won't work on a normal 2v2 map.

mcrae

Zzoram

Ashhong said:

It was a 1v1 map for spawns. It was forced shakuras, forcing diagonal spawns. MC remembered this, White-Ra didn't and it was his fault for opening the same greedy risky build he did for the previous 4 games in a row, 13gate with no immediate zealot.

MC knew that White-Ra did that 4 games in a row and figured the odds of him doing it again were really high so he opted for the perfect counter, proxy 2gate. The only way White-Ra would have beaten it was if he scouted it with his probe after starting his gateway, but even then he wasn't guaranteed to stop it since his first gateway was started around the time MC's second gateway was started and MC's first gateway was half done. Also, the pylon powering them was outside the base so White-Ra would've had to run ~6 probes outside to attack it, a really long distance. MC's build was basically a perfect counter to White-Ra's build.

Ashhong

Zzoram said:
It was a 1v1 map for spawns. It was forced shakuras, forcing diagonal spawns. MC remembered this, White-Ra didn't and it was his fault for opening the same greedy risky build he did for the previous 4 games in a row, 13gate with no immediate zealot.

MC knew that White-Ra did that 4 games in a row and figured the odds of him doing it again were really high so he opted for the perfect counter, proxy 2gate. The only way White-Ra would have beaten it was if he scouted it with his probe after starting his gateway, but even then he wasn't guaranteed to stop it since his first gateway was started around the time MC's second gateway was started and MC's first gateway was half done. Also, the pylon powering them was outside the base so White-Ra would've had to run ~6 probes outside to attack it, a really long distance. MC's build was basically a perfect counter to White-Ra's build.

Hey wait, forced shakuras doesn't allow for parallel positions? As in, close air but far walking? Woops, my mistake.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Q8D3vil said:
the way i see it, MC abused the map and the rules because its something that won't work on a normal 2v2 map.
Come on, it's a 1v1 map and so White-Ra knew where MC spawned and so should have known that MC loves to use this build and could have scouted for it, it's his own fault for losing the match. Competitive Shakuras isn't a 2v2 map it's a 1v1 map so people need to realize this.

PhoenixDark said:

Also it's pretty hilarious to say it's unsportsmanlike to use a build like that to win a game, did people cry when the Saints pulled the onside kick in the Super Bowl the other year? No, they admire how they took a huge risk and how it paid off for them. He just won €11,000, just imagine how you would react in that situation.

Q8D3vil

Ikuu said:
Come on, it's a 1v1 map and so White-Ra knew where MC spawned and so should have known that MC loves to use this build and could have scouted for it, it's his own fault for losing the match. Competitive Shakuras isn't a 2v2 map it's a 1v1 map so people need to realize this.

Also it's pretty hilarious to say it's unsportsmanlike to use a build like that to win a game, did people cry when the Saints pulled the onside kick in the Super Bowl the other year? No, they admire how they took a huge risk and how it paid off for them. He just won €11,000, just imagine how you would react in that situation.
i'm not against him for abusing it, i think its quite smart for him to do something like that.
but with many different modified versions of some maps, its becoming quite hard for pro's to know what kind of map they are playing, i really wish all the tournaments stick to some kind of standard modified maps and not try to take maps from gsl, mlg and esl in the same time.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I hope someone can translate this and show it to non-koreans that are trolling about me. Whitera did the same build 5 times and I just countered it and what is cheese about that? he doesnt get the first zealot and I of course do proxy gate.. it was a 15000$ game and I did it because I was certain of it.

A translation of MCs twitter, says it all.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Q8D3vil said:
i'm not against him for abusing it, i think its quite smart for him to do something like that.
but with many different modified versions of some maps, its becoming quite hard for pro's to know what kind of map they are playing, i really wish all the tournaments stick to some kind of standard modified maps and not try to take maps from gsl, mlg and esl in the same time.
I completely agree that we need a standard pool of maps that are used for tournaments (and ladder), it's a major event and White-Ra should have taken the time to learn any differences between the maps.

IceMarker

I'll be taking an even longer break from SCII-GAF (except Wednesdays) due to Portal 2 and HoN! Don't all your Bronzies get promoted too fast now while I'm gone!

MrMister said:
I'll be taking an even longer break from SCII-GAF (except Wednesdays) due to Portal 2 and HoN! Don't all your Bronzies get promoted too fast now while I'm gone!

What is HoN? It sounds lame. And don't worry everyone! I'll be able to juggle Portal 2 and Starcraft II properly!

/troll

ultron87

MrMister said:

Portal is understandable (since I'll be doing that too) but HoN? Cmon man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom