• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
Have we tested whether US GAF>EU GAF? Regardless it might be a case of our US players having higher diamond/masters members
officially no, the euers dodged when i first tried to organize one.

Haunted

Pandaman said:
i find it ironic that you'd think my sample is too small whilst appealing to a consensus affirmed by... what, 5 people? all speaking from colored personal experience?
The difference obviously being that you were the only one trying to sell your argument as coming from "data" while I always talked about the consensus among pros. I just mentioned the NA Zerg ones who have publicly spoken of it (because I wrongly assumed you would be more inclined to listen to them than the numerous other pros who have attested to the KR > EU > NA situation, like every EU pro ever for example).

Pandaman said:
no. or atleast the differences in the skill curve is hidden by the poor resolution of the ladder system [top 2% for masters/segments of 20% for everyone else].

i have seen no reason to believe that a masters on NA and EU wouldn't also be a masters on KR, but i do suspect that at the top levels there may be an appreciable difference that can be accounted for by the different tournament environment fostered by such a small nation with a dense population. the few people i do know who access the korean ladder stay on par with their NA/eu rank.

suffice to say, i do not believe any ladder is on average 20% better than another. the ladder system just doesn't have the resolution required to notice any differences in skill between ladders even if they existed.
Now you've lost me, this is getting too technical for me. >_> Where does the supposed 20% skill difference come from?

And well, if you really believe that the NA ladder isn't weaker than the others, be my guest to go against the common consensus, but don't expect me (or anyone else, looking from the responses of other posters here) to follow. I don't think your arguments are very convincing.

edit: and just to compromise and to further clarify my stance - I think the top NA pros are just as good as the top EU pros and just as good as the top KR pros. It's the quantity of players at the highest level that's different. Didn't someone write a couple essays about the statistical dominance of EU people in the western scene on TL? They usually got unnecessary detailed papers about this stuff. :p

edit²: *quickly uses TSL downtime to browse the TLPD* 25 EU players and 7 NA players among the Top 40 by ELO rating. 20 EU players #41-80, 10 NA players. (the other 18 are SEA and KR)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fanboi said:
From the devils mouth himself (Panda) EU top >> NA.lies and slander

Allthough from me and Panda, NA ladder >> EU ladder
fanboi coming out of the closet with secret NA account? :p

Don't think we make too many general statements without evidence. Obviously Idra and others have said the NA ladder is weaker, but who knows. I think everyone agrees the Korean ladder is the most competitive.

I wish there was a way we could just play each other across servers and settle the matter, without having to buy new accounts. If I had to bet I'd say US GAF>EU GAF, but I wouldn't then leap to US ladder>EU ladder

fanboi

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Don't think we make too many general statements without evidence. Obviously Idra and others have said the NA ladder is weaker, but who knows. I think everyone agrees the Korean ladder is the most competitive.

I wish there was a way we could just play each other across servers and settle the matter, without having to buy new accounts. If I had to bet I'd say US GAF>EU GAF, but I wouldn't then leap to US ladder>EU ladder

Yeah, buy 2 accounts, but which nerds would do such a thing?

fanboi coming out of the closet with secret NA account? :p

*flash powder*

*gone*

Q8D3vil

Pandaman said:
i didn't know that.
eu gaf is not active at all.
we do have players like mescaline,v_arnold, and i think twofold (never met him) that play on a regular bases but aside from that most of the players do not play regularly and not organized at all.

even i stopped playing of freaking stupid slow internet after noon in my country do some stupid broken oversea cable and midterms before that.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Well wasn't one of the rules for the tournament that you had to play them at a specific time? Considering it was like 2-3am for people in Europe, you're not going to get a lot of people interested.

Pandaman said:
I don't think anyone knew of this :lol

Boken

Banned
Zzoram said:
Kas isn't as good as Thorzain IMO. Thorzain just looks SO solid, Kas has a lot of sloppy moments.
Yeah these two games so far feel so tame in comparison to the vThorzain ones...
Gasp! Check out MC's fast upgrades... feels like he learnt something from Thorzain.
Ok this just feels like MC walking over Kas :( nice blink to block and Psi Storm though.

Ikuu

Zzoram said:
Kas isn't as good as Thorzain IMO. Thorzain just looks SO solid, Kas has a lot of sloppy moments.
Well it's also at a LAN, and supposedly Kas hasn't been to that many. MC is smashing him at the moment.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
I think he played some WC3 on his stream fairly recently and I missed it :(.
Would have been nice to see that, after seeing all these WC3 players doing so well I've been tempted to reinstall it and play a few games.

Zzoram

Thorzain showed that MC was mortal but I don't think he's clearly better. If anything, I'd say Thorzain and MC are on the same level. Kas is a step below, at least in the TvP match up.

twofold

Ikuu said:
Well it's also at a LAN, and supposedly Kas hasn't been to that many. MC is smashing him at the moment.

Yeah. They were just talking about how Kas has major LAN jitters since this is only his second or third one.

Thorzain also had a long while to prepare for his match and work on some special builds against MC whereas Kas is having to play his standard builds. You can't compare the two.

Haunted

Zzoram said:
Well, it's a different environment at a LAN, where he played a knockout series against different opponents and races all day (had his first game of the day 15 hours ago).

You can really prepare for the TSL matches in comparison, both mentally and specific builds to counter your opponent (which Thorzain has done magnificently in his TSL run so far).

Kas looks much worse than in his own TSL match against Adelscott earlier today.

I'm not ready to declare either one better/worse (maybe leaning towards Kas, even), but that's probably also due to having seen dozens of Kas' games against many different players in so many tournaments, while I've only seen three games of Thorzain.

Haunted

Kas completely on tilt now.

Man, the guy has played thousands of ladder games, hundreds of online tournaments... but playing in person is really a different matter altogether. This is his second or third LAN, I think? Nerves are really getting to him.

Even if it's painful, this is a good learning experience.

Haunted

Zzoram said:
MC is going to 4-0 Kas. He's already destroyed his mind. What's the prize for this tournament?
6,700€ (or ~$9,800)

1st 25,000DKK ~3,400€
2nd 13,000DKK ~1,800€
3rd 8,000DKK ~1,100€
4th 4,000DKK ~550€

Haunted said:
Kas completely on tilt now.

Man, the guy has played thousands of ladder games, hundreds of online tournaments... but playing in person is really a different matter altogether. This is his second or third LAN, I think? Nerves are really getting to him.

Even if it's painful, this is a good learning experience.
He has been playing (or at least at the location of the LAN) since 9 in the morning and now it's midnight.

I agree that tournaments like TSL where not only you play from your home but also have 1/2weeks to prepare for only 1 opponent in a single match up. LAN is just a different monster altogether, which makes Naniwa's run at MLG coming from the open bracket even more impressive.

Haunted

rolled

Didn't even take 40 minutes altogether.

TheThunder said:
He has been playing (or at least at the location of the LAN) since 9 in the morning and now it's midnight.

I agree that tournaments like TSL where not only you play from your home but also have 1/2weeks to prepare for only 1 opponent in a single match up. LAN is just a different monster altogether, which makes Naniwa's run at MLG coming from the open bracket even more impressive.
Completely agreed, I said exactly that in the post before the one you quoted. :)

Ikuu

This is why I haven't played SC2 in weeks, whenever I think about playing a tournament is going on. Still got IPL and NASL tonight x)

Raelson said:
Wow, awesome tournament. Seems a bit forgotten though. : /
I'm really starting to worry that the market might reach over saturation so fast.

I still haven't watched IPL day 2 and day 3 is starting soon and I have been awake for 18 hours so I look like guy who escaped from the nut house.

Aaron

I'm about to crash from too long a day with too much Starcraft, but I want to catch at least the beginning of this thing. I haven't seen any IPL yet, and I probably will never have the chance.

Haunted

Aaron said:
I'm about to crash from too long a day with too much Starcraft, but I want to catch at least the beginning of this thing. I haven't seen any IPL yet, and I probably will never have the chance.
I'd be completely lost without my dual monitor setup. One eye and one ear on SC2 throughout the day, it's been crazy.

Trickster

BigAT said:
Is it just me or is Grubby's head like 2x bigger than it should be for his body?

His head is pretty huge, if you see picture where he's standing next to other people it become very obvious, though I think it wouldn't look so out of proportion if he put on some weight, he's pretty skinny.

Haunted

Solid production on this Chinese tournament.

zhXRb.png

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
i didn't know that.
eu gaf is not active at all.
we do have players like mescaline,v_arnold, and i think twofold (never met him) that play on a regular bases but aside from that most of the players do not play regularly and not organized at all.

even i stopped playing of freaking stupid slow internet after noon in my country do some stupid broken oversea cable and midterms before that.
this was months ago. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom