• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
ultron87 said:
You must be facing a very odd version of a six pool if having warp gate 40 seconds later would result in your death by it.

You're right my brain is tarded. :(

What Zerg builds should Protoss be worried about more now?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
zlatko said:

Protoss shouldn't be worried. Zerg should be worried about early 2 gate pushes.

Spl1nter

zlatko said:

Nothing. Protoss receives a buff for defense with unit production equal to warpgates from gateways in the early game. Also makes 1 lot, 1 stalker pressure, or 1 gate expand a lot stronger as well. Its a huge buff for standard play overall in pvz and pvt.

Striek

What should you be worried about PvZ? Its nothing critcal but early roach aggression will probably be a bit better. The 3 roach rush/ling all-in that dominated for a period of 3 weeks might come back but if you scout one-base roach you can go forge so it wont be unmanagable.

Also I've stolen White-Ras build for PvZ to 100% defend against early pools....don't wall off until your second and third gateways. Build pylon+gate near mineral line as standard and you'll be able to get out a zealot because you'll be able to defend the pylon with your probes very easy.

Spl1nter said:
Nothing. Protoss receives a buff for defense with unit production equal to warpgates from gateways in the early game. Also makes 1 lot, 1 stalker pressure, or 1 gate expand a lot stronger as well. Its a huge buff for standard play overall in pvz and pvt.
Gateways will still build units slower than warpgates. And it adds only 40secs to when you get your first round of warpins. Its a moderate nerf to early defense against zerg and a small buff against terran given the standard aggression both do.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
getting a new mouse in the morning, mines busted. [boxing works at random, clicks register double]

can you map starcraft 2 stuff to mouse buttons? is it worth it spending a bit more on a mouse with such buttons?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
Why not remap your keyboard? I heard tyler talking about it last week on stog, seemed interesting to redo the setup.
because im not friends with my keyboard, i could see myself using a mouse button for backspace tho. >_>

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Well testing out on my older mouse with some buttons. My browser back and forwards buttons work for hotkeys, my Play/Volume control buttons down work, but I dont have the software installed for this mouse so that might be the issue as my PC doesnt recognize those buttons anyway.

Vaporak

Pandaman said:
getting a new mouse in the morning, mines busted. [boxing works at random, clicks register double]

can you map starcraft 2 stuff to mouse buttons? is it worth it spending a bit more on a mouse with such buttons?

Ya you can, I remap my control group 8 and 9 to my mouse side buttons.

Ashhong

Pandaman said:

I hope you get the Logitech MX518, aka the best mouse ever.

Q8D3vil

side buttons are 8,9 and 10 here using logitech g500.
very good quality although i really want to try razer but many people say it have a very shitty quality.

Ashhong

Pandaman said:
the dented mouse? a friend of mine swears by em.

Never heard anybody call it that, but yea there is an indent on the left where your thumb can rest comfortably. I have used it for the past 7 years or so. Dont think I would ever change it. It has 2 side buttons that can be configured, as well as 3 buttons near the scroll wheel. I haven't actually tried changing them in SC but I'm almost positive it would work.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ashhong said:
Never heard anybody call it that, but yea there is an indent on the left where your thumb can rest comfortably. I have used it for the past 7 years or so. Dont think I would ever change it. It has 2 side buttons that can be configured, as well as 3 buttons near the scroll wheel. I haven't actually tried changing them in SC but I'm almost positive it would work.
i call it that because it looks like someone took a hammer to the shell. >_>

Striek said:
What should you be worried about PvZ? Its nothing critcal but early roach aggression will probably be a bit better. The 3 roach rush/ling all-in that dominated for a period of 3 weeks might come back but if you scout one-base roach you can go forge so it wont be unmanagable.

Also I've stolen White-Ras build for PvZ to 100% defend against early pools....don't wall off until your second and third gateways. Build pylon+gate near mineral line as standard and you'll be able to get out a zealot because you'll be able to defend the pylon with your probes very easy.

Gateways will still build units slower than warpgates. And it adds only 40secs to when you get your first round of warpins. Its a moderate nerf to early defense against zerg and a small buff against terran given the standard aggression both do.

I feel like you are making these arguments without thinking them through.

you will have the exact same number of units with or without warpgates at the time these rushes hit, as you can actually make 3 gateways while warpgate is finishing, otherwhise you won't be able to spend all those resources building up.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Striek said:

i dont know about other zergs, but im eyeing 2base roach opener as a standard build in zvp because of these patches. i feel roach+tumour will be an efficient defense against any gateway aggression and be an option for pressure vs passive play. im practicing it on the ptr.

Striek

mescalineeyes said:
I feel like you are making these arguments without thinking them through.

you will have the exact same number of units with or without warpgates at the time these rushes hit, as you can actually make 3 gateways while warpgate is finishing, otherwhise you won't be able to spend all those resources building up.

Oh I'm thinking them through, I just know the timings better than you I guess.

Typical 3 gateway expand build currently:
You have a zealot and two sentries at 32 supply with two gateways warping in and warpgates finishing. You expand with 1-2 zealots and 4-5 sentries. Your second and third gateway never produce a unit because they are not up in time before warpgate finishes.

With changes:
You have a zealot and two sentries at 32 supply with another sentry halfway in production. Your two gateways finish. It takes another 30 seconds before you will have 1-2 zealots and 4-5 sentries and warpgates finish.

Obviously 3-warpgate expands in PvZ might give way to 2-gate builds. But as-is, absolutely theres a more vulnerable period against zerg with the 'standard' PvZ play.

I think you might not be familiar with how warpgates affect protoss production. PvT is better for protoss because a lot of the current TvP rushes are dealt with through chrono'ing units out of 1-2 gateways and zealot/stalker rushes against terran are quite effective.

BigAT

Pandaman said:

You can. My roommate has backspace bound to his mouse for injects. I think he might also assign his hatcheries to a control group on his mouse.

ultron87

Cheeto said:
Is there an MP3 mirror for SOTG? Downloading it from Blip.tv is a pain in the ass, if the download starts at all

JP posted on his Twitter that he was going to bed and would post the MP3 version when he woke. I'm assuming he hasn't woke up yet, since from what I can tell from SOTG he has a really messed up sleep schedule.

Striek said:
Oh I'm thinking them through, I just know the timings better than you I guess.

Typical 3 gateway expand build currently:
You have a zealot and two sentries at 32 supply with two gateways warping in and warpgates finishing. You expand with 1-2 zealots and 4-5 sentries. Your second and third gateway never produce a unit because they are not up in time before warpgate finishes.

With changes:
You have a zealot and two sentries at 32 supply with another sentry halfway in production. Your two gateways finish. It takes another 30 seconds before you will have 1-2 zealots and 4-5 sentries and warpgates finish.

Obviously 3-warpgate expands in PvZ might give way to 2-gate builds. But as-is, absolutely theres a more vulnerable period against zerg with the 'standard' PvZ play.

I think you might not be familiar with how warpgates affect protoss production. PvT is better for protoss because a lot of the current TvP rushes are dealt with through chrono'ing units out of 1-2 gateways and zealot/stalker rushes against terran are quite effective.
If you are chronoboosting warpgate tech, sure
However, if you are using that chrknoboost on units, you can't be that far off. It's not like you *need* warp tech to expand but the sentries.

Striek

mescalineeyes said:
If you are chronoboosting warpgate tech, sure
However, if you are using that chrknoboost on units, you can't be that far off. It's not like you *need* warp tech to expand but the sentries.
Well I haven't exactly had time to work out all the details but I can see theres a couple obvious points to this you're overlooking. You would need to get out your additional gates earlier, which you can't do without cutting probes (or something else). You would need to get them down ~30 seconds earlier which is very significant (can get second barely faster without cutting). Second you wont get the gas to start building your sentries early enough to get them out at a similar timing, particularly the fourth and fifth sentries. Third if you're not chrono'ing warpgate research its just further delaying your unit surge (additionally gateways will still build units slower than warpgate cooldowns). Also further delays hallucination.

I know what you're getting at; protoss players will still get the same resources and be able to spend it all so it should balance out, and it will - eventually. But the way warpgate affects production isn't so simple in the early game.

Striek said:
Well I haven't exactly had time to work out all the details but I can see theres a couple obvious points to this you're overlooking. You would need to get out your additional gates earlier, which you can't do without cutting probes (or something else). You would need to get them down ~30 seconds earlier which is very significant (can get second barely faster without cutting). Second you wont get the gas to start building your sentries early enough to get them out at a similar timing, particularly the fourth and fifth sentries. Third if you're not chrono'ing warpgate research its just further delaying your unit surge (additionally gateways will still build units slower than warpgate cooldowns). Also further delays hallucination.

I know what you're getting at; protoss players will still get the same resources and be able to spend it all so it should balance out, and it will - eventually. But the way warpgate affects production isn't so simple in the early game.

I think that the metagame in pvz will shift towards some sort of 2 gate pressure expand with a much, much later cyber core, if I'd have to guess. Especially greedy zergs will drop to early 2 gate pressure.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Deadman said:
Christ that was painful.
If Incontrol wasn't part of NASL he would be ripping it to pieces, saw earlier on TL he was crying that someone released a replay pack that he was included in (he wasn't too happy someone released replays of him losing to cheese a few times).

scogoth

Pandaman said:

You can also map the ptt button for mumble to your mouse, makes talking so much easier.

scogoth

Awesome Animals said:
I have the voice activity option and wear headphones, much easier than said "`````````````````````````````" always occurring.

Unless you're procarbine

huuuuuuuuh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ikuu said:
If Incontrol wasn't part of NASL he would be ripping it to pieces, saw earlier on TL he was crying that someone released a replay pack that he was included in (he wasn't too happy someone released replays of him losing to cheese a few times).
Watch his stream when people start to troll him. He has a hard time taking shit.

V_Arnold

Damn. I was so sad today.
It is my 25th birthday and instead of celebrating it, I started the day as usual, then went for StarCraft II for a few ladder games, and damn... 30+minute long boring long and creepy macro games hit me (I choose terran now for the fun of it), and I honestly felt so sad after it.... especially when I went against a random who 10pool-d me in ZVZ and I barely lost, and when asked if he only cheeses with each race just responded with a "ofc, fun isnt it?", damn.

Luckily I realized I have to take some fresh air because this cant continue. I am starting to get tired of SCII laddering. Even practice games are better than this -.-

Ikuu

Come play LoL, it's much less stressful and you just blame everyone else when you lose =D

V_Arnold

Striek, it seems pretty obvious to me that protosses cant do simply "oh, and now I put down my 3 additional gates and when warp tech finishes, they JUST finish also, and THEN I start 100% unit pumping action until I win/lose like before." They CAN, however, simply start with gate-core-gate, they can instantly train 2-3 zealots and then start producing from 2 buildings while building up economy. It wont be that bullshit easy chart like it was before, with no margin for even errors.

Ikuu said:
Come play LoL, it's much less stressful and you just blame everyone else when you lose =D

Well, next week if you would not mind showing me some basics, I would actually try it, if it is free.

Ikuu

It's free, you get a bunch of heroes to play for free and you have to buy the ones you want (either with IP which you earn in-game or RP which costs money), can play the game without spending a penny.

Think TotalBiscuit has a decent video for anyone not familar with the game/genre.

V_Arnold said:
Damn. I was so sad today.
It is my 25th birthday and instead of celebrating it, I started the day as usual, then went for StarCraft II for a few ladder games, and damn... 30+minute long boring long and creepy macro games hit me (I choose terran now for the fun of it), and I honestly felt so sad after it.... especially when I went against a random who 10pool-d me in ZVZ and I barely lost, and when asked if he only cheeses with each race just responded with a "ofc, fun isnt it?", damn.

Luckily I realized I have to take some fresh air because this cant continue. I am starting to get tired of SCII laddering. Even practice games are better than this -.-
Go outside or to a bar. Don't play starcraft on your birthday.

WedgeX

Banned
Boy, marine + banshee sure does kill toss deathballs.

edit:

SteveWinwood said:
Go outside or to a bar. Don't play starcraft on your birthday.

Seriously, go drink! You're a quarter of a century old! Enjoy the bar, damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom