• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
zlatko said:
I forgot who Devil said he was in the chat, but did you d/c or what? I saw you say you were lagging and then 100% bail out.

I wasn't lagging at all. I have a 16MB/sec connection, sexy PC, and easily run the game on max settings. Are you from Europe or something? I'm in Nebraska, so not sure why you were lagging. Hopefully we can play another time.

On a different note FUCK do I hate losing, but FUCK do I love killing mother fuckers who cheese me... AKA 9/10 games. Had a Protoss try to cannon rush me, I scout it right away and slap him down. Then he tries to poke at my natural with a forward pylon, but being the boss nerd I am I was microing my lings around the map as I macro to catch that kinda shit. Next he decides to throw in some phoenix to snipe over lords. He tries two half assed pushes, and all this time I'm checking to see when he tries to expand to counter. Turns out this idiot NEVER was going to expand, so then on the next push I just make a ton of lings and hydras, toss in a few banes, and go roll him. :)

I think I had 1 Protoss who didn't want to 1 base all in me in some way, but the majority of my games were ZvZ's tonight and my rage levels were probably reaching Yoshi levels. Won a few lost a few, but I really need to figure out how to play that match up more. Most of these the other Zerg just expanded early with a fast expand, but I never could find the right timing on when to go push his natural or even run by to go for the main. I feel like the only build that I can rely on in ZvZ if it's a big map is just 7 roach rush or 14gas/14 pool.

Any Z's have a go to build that helps them win most of their ZvZs?
Speed first into either expand or 1 base banelings.

zlatko said:
Any chance you have a replay I could watch to try and mimic?
Will get to you this afternoon. On my phone ATM.

It's a bit rock paper scissors though. On bigger maps I like doing the dimaga style that twofold just posted but I feel banes are impossible to hold with it.

twofold

mescalineeyes said:
Will get to you this afternoon. On my phone ATM.

It's a bit rock paper scissors though. On bigger maps I like doing the dimaga style that twofold just posted but I feel banes are impossible to hold with it.

I've been dropping a Roach Warren as soon as the Hatch finishes and only getting one Queen. It allows you to get Roaches out just in time to hold Banelings. It's definitely worth playing around with.

twofold said:
I've been dropping a Roach Warren as soon as the Hatch finishes and only getting one Queen. It allows you to get Roaches out just in time to hold Banelings. It's definitely worth playing around with.
Given the type of player I am, this might be worth more trying.

Oh and zlatko, generally speaking, mirroring your opponent is a pretty safe way to play the matchup.

zlatko

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
Given the type of player I am, this might be worth more trying.

Oh and zlatko, generally speaking, mirroring your opponent is a pretty safe way to play the matchup.

Ok solid advice. I just need more time with the match up since ZvZ is actually rarely what I get on ladder, but tonight it was a gauntlet of it.

Also, there's one super noobsh thing I'm not aware of in the match up. Hydras vs Mutas... which is supposed to be the better unit against the other without taking upgrades or how many there are? I feel like the times I've got mutas that I roll hydras, but I was under the impression that hydras should destroy Mutas fairly quick.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
At lower levels just go 1base Banelings and laugh as your opponent can't handle the micro you're forcing on them, it's like 14gas/14pool 100gas speed and then baneling nest with the next 50. Morph two at a time and rally them to their mineral line.

Ikuu said:
At lower levels just go 1base Banelings and laugh as your opponent can't handle the micro you're forcing on them, it's like 14gas/14pool 100gas speed and then baneling nest with the next 50. Morph two at a time and rally them to their mineral line.
Hehhhehehhe best build :D

scogoth

Chinese Electric Batman said:
Was there ever any word by Blizzard on why Protoss are allowed to expand with utmost ease?

Because when you get beyond two bases people don't know what drops or nydus worms are.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
scogoth said:
Because when you get beyond two bases people don't know what drops or nydus worms are.
i wish nydus worms didnt exist, its bad enough they die to 4 probes but the've become an excuse for nonzergs to hide behind.

Ecto311

Can anyone tell me why my computer really sluggish when SC2 is running in the background?

System:
i5 2500k no oc
4gig of kingston hyperX at 1.5v 1600
Asus GTX460 1gb
Asus p8p67 (regular not pro)
Corsair Force F60 SSD
Samsung F3 (where the game is)

I know it's not getting hot - but when I tab out of the game it lags everything else on the computer. Ideas? I don't think I am maxing out the ram.

scogoth

Pandaman said:
i wish nydus worms didnt exist, its bad enough they die to 4 probes but the've become an excuse for nonzergs to hide behind.

Well you're special, you can baneling drop. Its a skill most zergs seem afraid to master.

ultron87

Sniper McBlaze said:
Is it too late to jump in and try to play this relatively competitive?

No reason why not.

There's plenty of people still playing in the lower leagues for you to play against when you start. And if you play a lot you'll likely get better and eventually move to the higher leagues.

scogoth

Chinese Electric Batman said:
If you pick Protoss you can top the ladders and tourney rankings with relative ease.

Why would you want to, then you have to play people who know how to play and you start losing all the time.

The Lamonster said:
star-crash 2. I'm so fucking sick of it
Anybody else crashing a lot in this game since the latest patch? Whether I'm searching for a ranked match or playing Star Battle or configuring the options, it just freezes up and never recovers...disables my mouse and I can't ctrl-alt-del, requiring a force shutdown.

DaFish

The Lamonster said:
Anybody else crashing a lot in this game since the latest patch? Whether I'm searching for a ranked match or playing Star Battle or configuring the options, it just freezes up and never recovers...disables my mouse and I can't ctrl-alt-del, requiring a force shutdown.
You talking about PTR patch?

I have had no problems with regular b.net servers

scogoth

The Lamonster said:

Nope sounds like its the comp not the game. Might want to run some prime95, furmark and memtest.

Haunted

Sniper McBlaze said:
Man it's Starcraft 2, this shit will be around forever.

Definitely not too late to jump in. You're welcome!

But don't pick Zerg, there's something about that race that makes its players QQ uncontrollably. Pretty annoying.

Haunted said:
Man it's Starcraft 2, this shit will be around forever.

Definitely not too late to jump in. You're welcome!

But don't pick Zerg, there's something about that race that makes its players QQ uncontrollably. Pretty annoying.

Long instilled victim complex.

BigAT

Sniper McBlaze said:
Never!

The game does a really good job of pairing you with equally skilled opponents, regardless of skill level. Just be aware that you might get wrecked your first few games, it will take the system a bit to determine where you should be placed. Don't get discouraged though, just know that you'll eventually start getting opponents that are on even ground.

Jeff-DSA

Yes!

I go on vacation for a week and I come back to see that they're patching the game to delay warp gate technology research. It's been my biggest gripe for a while now. I think it's fair to speed up unit production out of gateways, that's a nice idea. My friend and I play 2v2s all the time and since he's Protoss he often caves under early pressure. This will encourage him to put out a few extra units early rather than pushing to warp gate so quickly.

I'm also pretty happy with the Ghost change. They were too gas expensive and it made having Viking/Ghost combos tough in the TvP matchup.

Deadman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY4KvHWFbEM

So you can feedback ghosts by clicking on the minimap vaguely near the ghosts, which will get auto targetted. Its apparently how MC did all those feedbacks against the ghosts of thorzain last week.

That seems a bit unfair.

Yeah, I just tried it on a unit tester map, but it was an endless stream of "must target blah"s with a very occasional hit. Unless there's more to the technique than just spamming on the blob on the minimap.

Oh, well. I went ahead and bought it. Downloading it now. Any tips for me? Should I play the campaign first?

I got some experience with other RTS games, but I've never really played them seriously. I suck at macroing.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Oh, well. I went ahead and bought it. Downloading it now. Any tips for me? Should I play the campaign first?

I got some experience with other RTS games, but I've never really played them seriously. I suck at macroing.

Are you NA?

Make sure to join the NeoGAF channel when you're on. We like helping. Except Splinter.

ultron87

Sniper McBlaze said:

If you want a fun single player experience you should certainly play the campaign.

If you're in it just for the multiplayer do some skirmishes against easy AIs just to get used to the mechanics and what all the units for each race can do.

Then you can either try playing against some harder AIs or just hop into the multiplayer.

When you get to the multiplayer you should skip the practice league matches. They are played at a slower speed and have rocks that prevent early rushes. They don't really teach you how to be successful at the game. Playing against an AI is much better practice for a beginner.

After that just play your placement matches. You'll probably end up in Bronze, but there's no shame in that.

Ok, not really feeling like doing the campaign so I'm going to try to play against the AI right away.

I'm playing on the european servers unfortunately. Maybe I'll meet some people from NeoGAF anyway. :)

Jeff-DSA

Sniper McBlaze said:
Ok, not really feeling like doing the campaign so I'm going to try to play against the AI right away.

I'm playing on the european servers unfortunately. Maybe I'll meet some people from NeoGAF anyway. :)

You'll find plenty of NeoGAF guys on the European servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom