• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

If a scan is free then so is a creep tumor over injecting. I mean you'll eventually get the larva out of the hatchery anyway if you wait long enough.

(I am in no way comparing a scan to overlord scouting, just refuting the point that a scan is free.)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
If a scan is free then so is a creep tumor over injecting. I mean you'll eventually get the larva out of the hatchery anyway if you wait long enough.

(I am in no way comparing a scan to overlord scouting, just refuting the point that a scan is free.)
you dont seem to be considering the possibility that we'd agree that tumours are free. [nevermind that there is no terrran analogous resource to larvae]

the fact that zerg has to be ready for 4 different kind of cheeses from, say, a terran, has to effectively hard counter each one specifically but has the hardest time acquiring that information tells me something is wrong.

Keikaku

What the hell happened on SOTG that has everyone riled up??

Everyone seems to be arguing about Overlord speed and, from what I'm reading, specifically for early game scouting? Is that the gist of it?

If so, that is something I can get behind. Out of 3 races, I do think Z has the hardest time scouting early games, especially since our scouting unit is:
- visible (unlike the observer/scan)
- slower (until lair tech when we can upgrade it, when we're probably a bit behind if we don't know too well what's going on)
- Tied to our supply cap

Won

mescalineeyes said:
the fact that zerg has to be ready for 4 different kind of cheeses from, say, a terran, has to effectively hard counter each one specifically but has the hardest time acquiring that information tells me something is wrong.

Yeah, too many Terran nerfs. :(

ultron87

Pandaman said:
you dont seem to be considering the possibility that we'd agree that tumours are free.

They both just boil down to either having more stuff right now or having more utility (from either better creep spread or more information). Either choice you make you are losing something.

And to me doing something isn't free if you lose something. But we might have different definitions.

Keikaku

Won said:
Yeah, too many Terran nerfs. :(

I don't think anyone is saying "nerf Terran". I think we are arguing that we need something to give us a little easier scouting so we can have a chance early game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
They both just boil down to either having more stuff right now or having more utility (from either better creep spread or more information). Either choice you make you are losing something.
no you are not.

you are gaining one of a set of things.

before you had nothing.
now you have something.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
applies equally to both choices.

you dont think ive had a million terrans link that wiki article to me because they refuse to use the tools available to them?

furthermore, mineral consumption does not exist in a vacuum, terrans cant just blindly dump 270 minerals into anything at any time, builds have to be tailored to take advantage of your incoming economy. most zergs learned to do this based on their own comfort level of droning vs defense, there is a barrier in defensive early zerg play that nullifies the advantages of extra larvae versus that of creep spread, so zergs who want to improve their creep spread first learn to encorperate tumours within their own approaches to economy.

so yes, if you bitbybit someone, there will be a significant opportunity cost to using a scan since your production of scv's and marines will require consistent muling. but if that is a situation you have placed yourself by choice, you can hardly complain that scanning is a sacrifice.

ultron87

Pandaman said:
applies equally to both choices.

Did I ever say it didn't apply to both choices (assuming you mean Scan vs Mule and Tumor vs Inject)?

Pandaman said:
you dont think ive had a million terrans link that wiki article to me because they refuse to use the tools available to them?

:lol

BigAT

V_Arnold said:
Just so we are clear on some things here:
1) Scouting, saccing and overlord AND getting nothing out of it with proper building positioning is the issue here. Not even trying to scout is not okay, but that is not the issue here.
2) A scan is FREE. It is free, it might stop you from getting your minerals faster from your mineral patches (with this of course, you will also NOT gain more mineral in the next 60 seconds), but it does not "cost" anything. There is no "oh, I do not have money for my scan" problem, and it also does not cost a larva to make. I am totally betting on terrans opting for scan instead sometimes, especially before crucial tech decisions to make. In the longterm, it wont cost you anything.
A) Opportunity cost.

B) You're getting bogged down with semantics if you really think losing out on future minerals makes something "free". It's an absolutely foolish way to look at things, especially in this game. If I baneling bust your mineral line and you lose 10 workers, you would never say something so stupid as, "Well, it's not a big deal, it didn't cost me anything. I'm only losing out on future, potential minerals." Scanning instead of dropping a MULE results in the literal loss of 270 future minerals. Not having enough minerals to build units is just as detrimental to production as is losing a single larva to recreate a scouting Overlord.

It's as silly as if I told you that your Overlord is free because you start the game with it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
cdyhybrid said:
You can't compare creep tumors and scans, IMO. I can just make another queen for 150 minerals, drop a tumor, and send her to my natural that's already going up or use her as anti air. Making another Orbital for scans is a much bigger investment.
there wouldn't be a need for analogy if both things were perfectly equivalent.

Jeff-DSA

Ok, so it's harder for Zerg to scout, but thanks to creep spread they have the best map vision of any race. Terran is easily the worst there as for that kind of thing as Protoss has observers and hallucinated units.

Sometimes changelings do a great job getting into bases, but I think they should be immune to detection but just have a shorter lifespan. That would solve the scouting issue. By the time Terrans can have scans going or by the time Protoss has observers out, Zerg can have overseers out.

I'd rather have overlords get a bigger sight range than get more speed.

Sure, it would be nice if scouting could be improved for Zerg, but they have other advantages that the other races do not have. If scouting is their deficiency, their ability to expand and to swarm is a strength.

Q8D3vil

2) A scan is FREE. It is free, it might stop you from getting your minerals faster from your mineral patches (with this of course, you will also NOT gain more mineral in the next 60 seconds), but it does not "cost" anything. There is no "oh, I do not have money for my scan" problem, and it also does not cost a larva to make. I am totally betting on terrans opting for scan instead sometimes, especially before crucial tech decisions to make. In the longterm, it wont cost you anything.
i totally agree with that, who need mules when u have 20 scv vs 35 drone.
many people here need to learn the concept of opportunity cost.

fanboi

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Ok, so it's harder for Zerg to scout, but thanks to creep spread they have the best map vision of any race. Terran is easily the worst there as for that kind of thing as Protoss has observers and hallucinated units.
Sometimes changelings do a great job getting into bases, but I think they should be immune to detection but just have a shorter lifespan. That would solve the scouting issue. By the time Terrans can have scans going or by the time Protoss has observers out, Zerg can have overseers out.

I'd rather have overlords get a bigger sight range than get more speed.

Sure, it would be nice if scouting could be improved for Zerg, but they have other advantages that the other races do not have. If scouting is their deficiency, their ability to expand and to swarm is a strength.

Mapvision doesn't matter if you don't know what is coming, since, as idra said, when you see it it to late to try and counter it

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Q8D3vil said:
i totally agree with that, who need mules when u have 20 scv vs 35 drone.
many people here need to learn the concept of opportunity cost.
optimal mineral efficiency is 16 workers.
20 scv's wont mine less minerals than 35 drones on 1 base.

V_Arnold

Wow @ all the opportunity cost quoters. Jeez.
Scan costs 50 energy. You gain INFORMATION.
Mule costs 50 energy. You gain an additional mining unit for a minute.

Both is an investment, one returns you more minerals (but also makes your main mined out faster!), other gives you information.

Therefore, a scan does not COST money. You can quote wikipedia as many times as you want, but in a game where information is sometimes weighted as much as an expansion's worth of "economy", it is simply dumb to say "A scan costs 270 mineral", because it does not.

Q8D3vil

Mule costs 50 energy. You gain an additional mining unit for a minute.
its not extra mining, it can barley keep you up with the zerg/protoss if they chrono boost probes on 2 bases.

listening to sotg, idra is a big joke and so is everyone else.
i can't believe that 2 zerg and 2 protosses are talking about balance.

too bad t hey can't add a terran because when they bring one they abuse him to hell.
its not like there is any good terran in na or one that have good english ( select/kas).

again, idra is a joke.

edit: who is the weakest race in bw ?
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

ultron87

Pandaman said:
then you agree there isnt a sacrifice within the choice.

Every choice you make anywhere in life involves a sacrifice. That's the definition of opportunity cost.

And to respond to what you edited into an earlier post: even if the sacrifice is less noticeable later in the game because you have 3 mining bases and a shit ton of minerals coming in, it is still a sacrifice.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
Every choice you make anywhere in life involves a sacrifice. That's the definition of opportunity cost.
i coulda been an astronaut if only i had X'd instead of Y'd.

And to respond to what you edited into an earlier post: even if the sacrifice is less noticeable later in the game because you have 3 mining bases and a shit ton of minerals coming in, it is still a sacrifice.
you didnt understand what i wrote.

syllogism

Q8D3vil said:
listening to sotg, idra is a big joke and so is everyone else.
What level player are you again? It's cute when non-pros or even high master players think they've a clue how the game works at pro level. People like you are the reason why the strategy forums are unreadable

WedgeX

Banned
As much fun as it is to read y'all debate....

sc2gold.png

It only took coaching from Splinter and Dizzy, and practicing against Panda, Aylinato, Corran and Dizzy. :D

Jeff-DSA

fanboi said:
Mapvision doesn't matter if you don't know what is coming, since, as idra said, when you see it it to late to try and counter it

How quickly are you dying? If Terran and Protoss don't pressure Zerg early, they'll lose. When that pressure comes, you get a pretty good feel of their unit compositions. If they're waiting to tech up, Zerg should already be on more bases by the time they move out and they should be reloading their armies faster. Even if they're losing more units, they can resupply and adapt faster due to a better economy and map presence.

I'm not saying it's perfect for any race, and Zerg probably has it toughest since chese/all-ins are so strong against them, but they have their own unique strengths as well.

mcrae

Pandaman said:

ya they will. each patch can support up to 3 workers. optimal efficiency =/= maximum output.

Q8D3vil

syllogism said:
What level player are you again? It's cute when non-pros or even high master players think they've a clue how the game works at pro level. People like you are the reason why the strategy forums are unreadable
bronze league :(
i guess you are right.
you are zerg right ?
because only zerg will rage when their precious idra is getting attacked.

I like Day9 but from what I heard of SoTG last night (I fell asleep shortly after Tasteless rejoined the conversation), he completely embarrassed himself. Idra is obviously biased and very emotional, but his basic arguments were sound and Day9 refused to respond. Not to mention the multiple cases of

day9: how come you don't do x
idra: i did x in nasl/ipl/whatever
day9: oh well i didn't see that game

Really?

Zerg is the most defensive, reactionary race in the game. They're also the race with the toughest job in terms of scouting their opponent. Given the map sizes, sometimes you can play perfect and still be caught with your pants down after seeing the opponent's army running down his ramp.

syllogism

Q8D3vil said:
bronze league :(
i guess you are right.
you are zerg right ?
because only zerg will rage when their precious idra is getting attacked.
I wasn't even referring to idra here, but you also called everyone else on the show a joke

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
Unless we are arguing about something different than whether or not "a scan is free" what you wrote doesn't matter.
the fact that you put yourself in situations where your production requires constant muling is not a shortfall of scanning.
its a failure of your build.

Q8D3vil

syllogism said:
I wasn't even referring to idra here, but you also called everyone else on the show a joke
because they are.
incontrol and tyler just trolling everyone else and day9 don't want anyone to say the game is imbalanced.
tyler and incontrol were freaking happy to hear about the thor nerf they almost cried out of happiness.
idra just as someone mentioned here think that players with better mechanic should always wins, maybe he should go back to bw because i don't see his theory working in sc2.

thats why i think sotg is just a funny show.
its like watching a sitcom but instead of actors you get sc2 pro players.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mcrae said:
ya they will. each patch can support up to 3 workers. optimal efficiency =/= maximum output.
inwhich case, he's 4 short of maximum income and i can just challenge his comparison numbers.

ultron87

Pandaman said:
the fact that you put yourself in situations where your production requires constant muling is not a shortfall of scanning.
its a failure of your build.

Okay? Great. So you agree that using a scan costs something. And that with some builds that cost is more significant than in others.

jasonng

WedgeX said:
As much fun as it is to read y'all debate....

sc2gold.png

It only took coaching from Splinter and Dizzy, and practicing against Panda, Aylinato, Corran and Dizzy. :D
Congrats Wedge! I need more terran sparring partners too.

Detox

Pandaman said:
Forgive me as I'm new to this but does this mean I shouldn't build more scv's to mine after I have 16 already mining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom