• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
pieatorium said:
lol Artosis getting beaten by hydra drops from a zerg on 4 bases

"All in nubs are so good"

To be fair the game started out with the Zerg 6 pooling him. It was a goofy ass game.

zlatko

Banned
Artosis is streaming yay.
He says he has a girlfriend, yay. :O
...bitch came over to nap so he can't talk while he plays. :( boo

zlatko said:
Artosis is streaming yay.
He says he has a girlfriend, yay. :O
...bitch came over to nap so he can't talk while he plays. :( boo
The old fake girlfriend so you don't have to talk on your stream trick eh

ultron87

So I really would've liked to have seen the "lift up your Immortals to avoid Strike Cannons" strategy that Tyler talked about on State of the Game in action in a game just once. Because if it somehow worked despite being terrible it'd be the most unexpectedly amazing thing ever.

zlatko

Banned
What's the opinion on the first episode of Inside the Game? I'm about to watch the pilot episode, but was wondering if it sucked hard so I should pass on it. :p

Tntnnbltn

ultron87 said:
So I really would've liked to have seen the "lift up your Immortals to avoid Strike Cannons" strategy that Tyler talked about on State of the Game in action in a game just once. Because if it somehow worked despite being terrible it'd be the most unexpectedly amazing thing ever.
Not quite of the same skill level, but I've previously picked up a friend's sentry to save it from a ling surround in a 4v4 while his ground army took care of the lings.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tntnnbltn said:
Not quite of the same skill level, but I've previously picked up a friend's sentry to save it from a ling surround in a 4v4 while his ground army took care of the lings.
like most strategies, this was invented by a gaffer first.
1zgzsdi.gif

<3 milabrega

zlatko

Banned
As a Zerg player what is the most appropriate response to a 4 gate? I usually make 3 spines, cut all drones if I spot it, and go mass ling. I'll usually hold it off, but I feel I go overboard.

Also, since I'm in a lower league, the Protoss players who go to do 4 gates, generally have delayed timings, and even when I hold it off without any issues AKA no drones/queens lost, they still don't quit out because they don't know any better.

When this happens, what is my best response? I feel going into a more macro game tends to make me too passive and runs the risk of DTs or maybe some collasi with units. Should I just mass up 20 roaches with burrow and move, then go back to droning, then try to win by burrowing into his base? Baneling bust?

BigAT

zlatko said:
As a Zerg player what is the most appropriate response to a 4 gate? I usually make 3 spines, cut all drones if I spot it, and go mass ling. I'll usually hold it off, but I feel I go overboard.

Also, since I'm in a lower league, the Protoss players who go to do 4 gates, generally have delayed timings, and even when I hold it off without any issues AKA no drones/queens lost, they still don't quit out because they don't know any better.

When this happens, what is my best response? I feel going into a more macro game tends to make me too passive and runs the risk of DTs or maybe some collasi with units. Should I just mass up 20 roaches with burrow and move, then go back to droning, then try to win by burrowing into his base? Baneling bust?
There will be others that can give you a better, more full response, but at least one thing you should be doing is keeping your early lings active on the map so that you can take out their probe and avoid any forward pylons. This alone can be a pretty effective delay/ruin to a 4-gate.

zlatko

Banned
BigAT said:
There will be others that can give you a better, more full response, but at least one thing you should be doing is keeping your early lings active on the map so that you can take out their probe and avoid any forward pylons. This alone can be a pretty effective delay/ruin to a 4-gate.

Yup I do that and try to position OL's in good spots to catch probes moving or where pylons are usually placed.

Is 3 spines and over reaction though? The reason I'm not sure is, because like I said these 4 gates actually come much later than they should, like a solid minute to a minute and a half late within game time. Like a 4 gate I tend to think would hit around 5:40-6:00, but then their 4 gate comes at like 7:00 to 7:20. During that time instead of the push they just add the units they would've been adding in during the 5:40-6:00 timing, so when it comes at 7:00-7:20, the amount of stalkers/zealots is a lot bigger. I feel like I need the 3 spines, the cutting of drones to make a lot of lings, and I tend to toss in a roach warren if I spot it as well. I'm wondering if this is an over reaction though in some regard. Like should I only make 1-2 spines, only make a handful of lings and still churn out a few drones, and skip the warren?

I'm trying to get more refined in my play against the 4 gate, as well as Terrans who banshee harass. When I play against a Terran I just blindly around the 5 minute mark make an evo chamber so I can make a spore at my main and my natural. I'll do poking around their ramp to see how many marines are there, if there's marauders, any hellions, any tanks, etc. I'll sac an overlord too for more info. My problem is that at low level play, people don't understand you shouldn't be going marine, marauder, tanks, and fucking banshees out of a starport off of 1 base, but yet this kind of crap happens often.

It's one of the shittier things I'm trying to overcome to get better.

twofold

3 spines is fine. It's not overkill at all. If you hold off the 4gate, you'll be way ahead economically after making a single round of drones.

Make sure to send a ling to find out whether the Protoss has expanded or not, though. I sometimes face Protoss players that go back to their ramp, produce another army and then push again a few minutes later without expanding. If you start droning, you die.

twofold said:
I sometimes face Protoss players that go back to their ramp, produce another army and then push again a few minutes later without expanding. If you start droning, you die.

oh god. this happened to me once when I was playing on my friends account (bronze).

oh, the ridicule. :x

twofold

mescalineeyes said:
oh god. this happened to me once when I was playing on my friends account (bronze).

oh, the ridicule. :x

It happened to me two weeks ago on Slag Pits close positions. I was not happy. :|

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
twofold said:
It happened to me two weeks ago on Slag Pits close positions. I was not happy. :|

Why would you have a map called Slag Pits. fucking lol.

why not just call it sluts vag.

LakeEarth

Took me a second to get it. A marine is taking out the assimilator (he's blending in with the probes), but the protoss gets the warp-in a tenth of a second before it explodes and he loses vision.

Jeff-DSA

Pandaman said:
the limiting factor is obviously the pylon warpin.

True, but that gas steal would have been killed off before warp gate researches too. Either way, that tactic gets nerfed soon.

I've been doing something that I feel is kinda rude. If I scout that my opponent doesn't have enough colossus units (for Zerg I do this regardless), I push to their front while landing 3-4 Vikings in the back. I used to do drops, but I like having the additional ground units and Medivacs with my main ball for the confrontation. You always see that moment where they try to decide if they want to split their army or not to deal with the two fronts before they remember to pull their probes. If they pull the probes, they still lose the mining time and I can hammer at a pylon or two.

Also, landed Vikings just laugh at spore crawlers once they touch down. Medivacs are still vulnerable during drops unless you hang them back pretty far.

WedgeX

Banned
jasonng said:
Kinda curious, how did he know your spawning location? The guy was wicked bad by the way. How come I don't get those gold players when I'm laddering?

I was wondering the same thing when I watched the replay. I'll hope a lucky guess.

V_Arnold

I always had a sixth sense, but sometimes it comes to me so strongly that I am amazed.
While waiting in a queue for ladder, I KNEW I am gonna play against a Zerg, and our ZVZ will be played on Shakuras. Images flashes before my eyes.

Then, bam, ZVZ on Shakuras. While loading, I recall that on the pictures what flashed in my mind I was in the lower left, and my opponent was in upper right. And bam, when I spawned in lower left, I KNEW that my opp will be in upper right, not in in lower right. And it was.

Chances? 1 to 840 or something :D But things like that happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom