• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Deadly said:
I don't get it why would the rules change? I mean the winners of the MLG tournaments are usually Code S-worthy players. It's been like Huk, Idra and Jinro for the 2010 tournaments who were all Code S.

The rule changes are needed so that there is a spot in code S for them :) other wise there's no spot

ahoyhoy said:
So they don't like to see Mass Thors, but they give Zerg no natural counter to Thors?

k.
The best way to deal with thors are either lings or infestors. Roaches work nicely as well

Given the fact that magic boxed mutas LOLOLOL at thors I don't understand this post.

V_Arnold

Deadman said:
If blizz dont like a strategy it will be nerfed. Everyone must play by the rules!

What?

mescalineeyes said:
The best way to deal with thors are either lings or infestors. Roaches work nicely as well

Given the fact that magic boxed mutas LOLOLOL at thors I don't understand this post.

Yeah, I had a hard time understanding that post also. Neural Parasite and/or mass lings and/or magic box mutas eat dem alive, so what is the issue with Thors in TVZ?

Deadman

V_Arnold said:

First, we definitely don’t like seeing Thors en masse. Due to the visual size of the unit, as well as a small pathing radius, Thors can obscure the other units in your army too easily. This can be problematic because it's important to know roughly how many units an opponent has when scouting. We want the Thor to be the type of unit that you add to your main army, and we definitely don’t want them to be the core of your army to the point where you strive to build as many as possible.

Imo this is a silly reason to nerf thors. Each side gets its units and people come up with strategies to use those units best. Blizzard shouldnt be nerfing units just because they dont like to see lots of them. Are they saying you should only be going marine/tank with a couple of thors and if you deviate from this they will nerf whatever other unit you start using?

V_Arnold

Deadman said:
Imo this is a silly reason to nerf thors. Each side gets its units and people come up with strategies to use those units best. Blizzard shouldnt be nerfing units just because they dont like to see lots of them. Are they saying you should only be going marine/tank with a couple of thors and if you deviate from this they will nerf whatever other unit you start using?

You seem to be missing the part where they say Thors obscure vision of units behind them, and therefore after a point it becomes literally impossible to judge what army composition you are against it. Besides, Terran is the last race who needs another broken and "you need to scout it out NOW, or you die 3 mins later" type of build just for the funs. You are still free to mass thors, as you were before. It is just that you wont be able to as easily lockdown the counter to it without risking yourself in the process.

Won

Makes me wonder what they were thinking with the original thor size if even the small one is still such an issue.

V_Arnold

Won said:
Makes me wonder what they were thinking with the original thor size if even the small one is still such an issue.

There will be a time when only a few of us will remember those huge monstrums in beta :D

Jeff-DSA

V_Arnold said:
You seem to be missing the part where they say Thors obscure vision of units behind them, and therefore after a point it becomes literally impossible to judge what army composition you are against it. Besides, Terran is the last race who needs another broken and "you need to scout it out NOW, or you die 3 mins later" type of build just for the funs. You are still free to mass thors, as you were before. It is just that you wont be able to as easily lockdown the counter to it without risking yourself in the process.

As if every race didn't have those units...

Protoss: DTs, Void Rays
Terran: Thors, Banshees
Zerg: Infestors, Mutas, Brood Lords

V_Arnold

Jeff-DSA said:
As if every race didn't have those units...

Protoss: DTs, Void Rays
Terran: Thors, Banshees
Zerg: Infestors, Mutas, Brood Lords

I am not sure if you are serious here....what vision obscurity is present with DT, Infestor, and to a certain extent, muta? Also, since when does DT/VR/B/In/Mu/BL have any kind of stun channeled spell without any mana bar?

Jeff-DSA

V_Arnold said:
I am not sure if you are serious here....what vision obscurity is present with DT, Infestor, and to a certain extent, muta? Also, since when does DT/VR/B/In/Mu/BL have any kind of stun channeled spell without any mana bar?

Oh no, I'm agreeing with the Thor nerf, but I'm saying that all the races have the "if you don't scout them early enough you die" units. Zerg is obviously at the biggest disadvantage because they don't scout well, but that has nothing to do with the PvT match ups where DTs or Void Rays (for Protoss) or Thors (for Terran) can end a game just as quickly if they're not scouted.

Against a Zerg, if you can't find that Greater Spire before the Brood Lords are on top of you, it's essentially game over.

V_Arnold

Jeff-DSA said:
Oh no, I'm agreeing with the Thor nerf, but I'm saying that all the races have the "if you don't scout them early enough you die" units. Zerg is obviously at the biggest disadvantage because they don't scout well, but that has nothing to do with the PvT match ups where DTs or Void Rays (for Protoss) or Thors (for Terran) can end a game just as quickly if they're not scouted.

Against a Zerg, if you can't find that Greater Spire before the Brood Lords are on top of you, it's essentially game over.

Just please, do not take the part out and argue against it.
Thors are not just massable, strong, repairable, they killed their hard counters (immortals) without any losses due to their activable ability. Now they can be mana drained again, which is good. A huge amount of void rays still die to a similar or huger sized corruptors with some queen support - the point is, every other unit lacks OTHER CC tools and vision obscurity.

Just being insanely good when not scouted alone does not manage a nerf - the aforementioned traits together do.

BigAT

V_Arnold said:
Good thing no one ever uses Overlords for that exact purpose...

"It's too big" is an awful reason to nerf the functionality of a unit. Change the model size if it's truly an issue.

Won said:

Dustin Browder spoke about this at GDC. They want Thors/Ultras/Motherships/etc. to be massive compared to the other units, but it just isn't reasonable in building a competitive game because of things like pathing and visibility of nearby units.

V_Arnold

BigAT said:
Good thing no one ever uses Overlords for that exact purpose...

"It's too big" is an awful reason to nerf the functionality of a unit. Change the model size if it's truly an issue.

Again: you are NOT seeing the whole picture. They did not nerf Thor's ability to fight. They nerfed their ability to kill their COUNTER without any losses and without any RISK. That shit has no part in an RTS game. The unit size was the cherry on the top.

BigAT

V_Arnold said:
Again: you are NOT seeing the whole picture. They did not nerf Thor's ability to fight. They nerfed their ability to kill their COUNTER without any losses and without any RISK. That shit has no part in an RTS game. The unit size was the cherry on the top.
How is nerfing one of the unit's offensive abilities not nerfing its ability to fight?

V_Arnold

BigAT said:
How is nerfing one of the unit's offensive abilities not nerfing its ability to fight?

Alright, I am out. Seriously. It can still use its ability if it has enough mana.
Just like every other unit out there.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Pandaman said:
chanstaa and holden made ro512
elcheris made ro256
i made ro128

In spirit you only made it as far of me because you had a by first round =P

I don't expect to make it past the first round this time, ive had no practice this week =(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Elcheris said:
In spirit you only made it as far of me because you had a by first round =P
thats ro256 talk, doesnt apply to the ro128 master race.

i still think i'll get run over by the first terran i come up against, protoss and zerg i feel i will always have a fighting chance but t is pretty fucking cryptic to me atm.

Holden

Pandaman said:
thats ro256 talk, doesnt apply to the ro128 master race.

i still think i'll get run over by the first terran i come up against, protoss and zerg i feel i will always have a fighting chance but t is pretty fucking cryptic to me atm.

hes prob gonna bunker rush u on metalpolis on top position :D

the sad part is that not building a spine is fairly greedy at this point.

I don't know how other races would feel if they *had* to make stationary defenses.

Jeff-DSA

mescalineeyes said:

I don't know how other races would feel if they *had* to make stationary defenses.

Still, spines and spores are awesome defense units because you can move them. I guess Terran gets to salvage bunkers, but it would be nice to throw some wheels under 'em and put them in front of your expansion when you don't need them at your initial wall anymore. Same goes for turrets.

Yeah, you kinda have to throw them down, but at least they're not permanently stuck in place.

Cheeto

mescalineeyes said:

Honestly I don't see why you wouldn't want to make them

Vaporak

mescalineeyes said:

It's generally considered greedy for a protoss doing a 3 gate sentry expand to not get a forge and at least 1 cannon in PvZ. It's generally considered greedy for a terran doing a 1 or 2 rax expand to not get multiple bunkers in TvP. I'm honestly not seeing much of a difference.

Trickster

mescalineeyes said:

Make it so that I can build cannons without getting a forge and I'd be happy to put down a cannon each game as standard.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Trickster said:
Make it so that I can build cannons without getting a forge and I'd be happy to put down a cannon each game as standard.
make it so i can spine a tosses ramp at the 2 minute mark and we'll see about that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Trickster said:
I know that, that's not the point, I simply answered under the assumption that it was possible.
so we've established that the versatility of the cannon requires it to need an intermediary tech structure.

Elcheris

Neo Member
I would only say its greedy to not get a spine vs terran when you scout 2rax. Its perfectly safe without a spine if they only do get 1 barracks. Instead, get a queen for cheaper! (Spine+Drone =150 minerals + 1 larvae) And a queen can be much more versatile as well, get that early creep spread going.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
2rax is also perfectly safe without a spine when they cant hide their marine in a 1hex choke that defends the bunker while its being built.

i would only build a spine on meta, ofcourse.

Trickster

Pandaman said:
so we've established that the versatility of the cannon requires it to need an intermediary tech structure.

Yes, and as we do that we also establish the reason why other races don't "have" to use stationary defensive buildings.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Pandaman said:
because theirs is super awesome?

DXIbO.gif

Trickster

Pandaman said:
because theirs is super awesome?

a mobile turret is pretty awesome as well.

But no, it's because if protoss and terran had to be able to get their cannons/turrets out at the same time a zerg can get out spines, then it would delay everything else they can do by a huge amount.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Trickster said:
Yes, and as we do that we also establish the reason why other races don't "have" to use stationary defensive buildings.

Are you suggesting that protoss must build defensive structures in order to expand? The following is some thoughts based on this assumption:

Currently the roach/ling allin vs 3 gate sentry expand is very strong in the metagame. Because of this, protoss players are 'forced' to make a forge + cannon in order to defend against this. This is because a handful of zealots + mostly sentries are not enough to handle this push. I would relate this to zerg getting caught with their pants down by a 4-gate. So as a protoss player what are the ways I can do to prevent me from "having" to put down the forge:

Early pressure before ling speed is done in order to delay the attack? I dont know if this works very well. In the IPL my protoss opponent opened up with 2 zealots and a stalker to put early pressure on me, forcing units and delaying any all-in I would do against this. Yes this might delay your expansion as well but I imagine it would equalize since you forced early units and now your expansion is safe thanks to some decent fighting units.

Alternativley, how about adding a couple non-sentry units if you suspect the attack coming. The reason why it is so weak against the attack is because sentries are more or less worthless as fighting units on their own. Additional stalkers/zealots could make up for this. Of course, this means more minerals and less gas, maybe this would be a good approach if you are going down a tech path sooner.

I have no idea if these actually work or not, just some ideas that I have floating around. Now, if you 'have' to get your forge I dont see this as a very big downfall. Doing the 3-gate sentry expand is fairly greedy on maps like xel'naga with wide open naturals. Its dangerous for the exact same reason why you dont see many zergs doing fast expansions on these maps. Ive seen toss's getting away with the same build on maps like Shattered temple where they do not 'have' to get a forge in order to be well defended.

Anyways, im sure this is way too theoretical and useless to most of you people (casual gaf). If we cant come up with any decent reasoning behind this forge argument then it is not even worth discussing. I might as well say something like zerg HAS to get a spawning pool to fast expand vs protoss.

Trickster

Elcheris said:
Are you suggesting that protoss must build defensive structures in order to expand? The following is some thoughts based on this assumption:

No I'm not, I haven't used the word expand once in this whole debate actually. What I've been saying however, is that the reason why both Protoss and Terran are both less dependent on their cannons and turrets than their zerg counterparts, is because cannons and turrets are harder to get access to than spines.

Sorry if my posts have been confusing, but that's usually what happens when one argues with zerg players that use a lot of "what if" and scenario specific arguments to demonstrate the new weekly reason why zergs are underpowered.

twofold

The latter half of Ponytales is hilarious. Some of the PMs Chill got in regards to the Idra banning are ridiculously fucked up.

Dear Chill
Your moderation against Idra was biased and I
hope you die. You fucking loser who’s one moment in life was beating a shit player in front of
thousands of people. Your casting fucking sucks
you retard, you sound like you have a dick in your
mouth, and you shouldn’t take out your worthlessness on idra. Fucking faggot

People scare me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom