• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonng

mescalineeyes said:
techlabs on starports have become increasingly rare against zerg. I think if terran would realize that they could win any marine/tank/thor engagement just by chasing away the muta flock with a hunter seeker missile, things would be different.

I hate myself for having made this post. Terran players, please disregard it.
What is wrong with you!? Delete this filth. RIGHT NOW.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zoukka said:
I don't buy that at all. Maybe the openings are different, but once they scout me they'll adapt to whatever scouting information they get. Just like in any match.
I dont care if you buy it, its a fact. lets say a raven buid for a matchup requires you to take an economic risk that is only feasible within that matchup. i dunno, like 15 ccing or taking extremely early double gas. you have to make this early commitment or your ravens dont show up in time to stave off any of a series of timing attacks p could pull out before your 15cc would have otherwise secured you a solid economic lead.

if my opponent is random, its dumb as fuck to begin an opening specific to tvp when he's just as likely to be 6pooling me. nothing will ever change that. thats why people don't practice with randoms, its worthless. you beat randoms by just having better mechanics than a guy who has 33% of the practice you have in the matchup. *shrug*

BigAT

I used to do Raven/Marine against Zerg players as a response to heavy Muta play. It was usually very effective and it's an extremely fun way to play. Even at Diamond, most players don't have good enough control to avoid every single HSM and boy do they tear apart a Mutaball when they hit. Plus you can deny late-game expansions very well with auto-turret, which is also great at harassing mineral lines.

I really should go back to it more often, but I usually do Marine/Thor now instead.

zoukka

Pandaman said:
if my opponent is random, its dumb as fuck to begin an opening specific to tvp when he's just as likely to be 6pooling me. nothing will ever change that. thats why people don't practice with randoms, its worthless. you beat randoms by just having better mechanics than a guy who has 33% of the practice you have in the matchup. *shrug*

So your 77% practice advantage doesn't make up for an early scout or a slightly altered build *shrug*

o how am I progressing? I just played a normal AI and beat it.

Just spend your minerals better. Build CC's and more barracks. Always remember to scout too.

Just hit the practice league. The sooner the better. And watching your own replays is helpful.

jasonng

Sniper McBlaze said:
So how am I progressing? I just played a normal AI and beat it.

Am I ready to try the multiplayer part soon?

http://www.mediafire.com/?6i8k2h2zyo17nda

I'd love it if someone could watch it.

Edit: And I know I messed up big time in the beginning with the supply depot. :)

Edit2: Ugh... Watched the replay myself... So many mistakes...

I don't play terran but there are a few things I can point out:

- As Terran, the scv that builds your refinery automatically gets gas for you as soon as it finishes so all you have to do is put two more scvs to mine gas

- You know how to shift-queue which is great. Be sure to use it often to avoid idle scvs. Best use is to build a supply depot and shift click it to the mineral line.

- You MUST get that Orbital Command much sooner. Mules are so good it's criminal to not use them. Morph your Command Center at 15 supply, 16 latest. Basically get it after you built your Barracks.

- Learn to wall off your ramp. Not particularly important to do so against another terran but vital against other races. There's a single player challenge that teaches you how to wall off if you need to see how it looks.

- You were constantly producing scvs which is great. Get in the habit of expanding. You had a good window to expanding when you were pushing out. More bases = better economy = more production buildings = a healthier army.

- Build units while you're attacking. You had your buildings hotkeyed so you can make units without looking in your base.

- The armory was a bit too soon. You didnt use it until much latter and you only used to get a thor. Engineering bay first, I think it's better to upgrade your marines.

Again, don't be shy. Splinter knows a lot of great builds you can practice and can put you automatically in silver league. Get mumble and we can help you out.

ultron87

Just hit the practice league. The sooner the better. And watching your own replays is helpful.
Practice league is a total waste of time. You don't learn anything playing with rocks and a slower game speed.

Just hit up the placement matches when you feel you are ready.

zoukka

ultron87 said:
Practice league is a total waste of time. You don't learn anything playing with rocks and a slower game speed.

Just hit up the placement matches when you feel you are ready.

Well even better then. I actually didn't even remember they had modified maps in there.

Sniper McBlaze said:

Edit: And I know I messed up big time in the beginning with the supply depot. :)

You did way better than I expected for someone who is worried about going online. As others had said yeah you just need to keep your money low by building more production facilities. Maybe get the orbital a little faster to get your mules going. Oh and expanding. But you'll do fine just jumping online. It's the fastest way to learn. Just do it. And yeah maybe play like one practice league match or so but then just skip them... they don't really help you play the real game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zoukka said:
So your 77% practice advantage doesn't make up for an early scout or a slightly altered build *shrug*
no.

why would anyone intentionally want to introduce a random element into practice sessions?

twofold

Sniper McBlaze said:

Looked fine. Just get online - don't worry about winning or losing. You will lose a lot so accept that and move on.

I really recommend Trump's 3 Rax build, by the way. There's a video guide here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWItSrXKwzw

It'll work well all the way up to Diamond and teach you the basics of macro, timing pushes and what not. Just focus on keeping your money low and continually building workers and you'll be fine.

zoukka

Pandaman said:
why would anyone intentionally want to introduce a random element into practice sessions?

I don't see it either. I was talking about the "disadvantage" of the builds. We started from you saying people don't try crazy builds against random players, which is untrue because even if some builds aren't safe to execute there are still crazy builds left to start out. And people do use delayed/modified builds in ladder all the time.

Also I don't play practice matches, I just play in ladder for fun like most people.

Thanks for all the tips! I've actually already tried the games that decide which league you'll play in (got me in silver), but I tried some games after that and I got my ass handed to me. I decided to not play online again until I actually get some troops out before the enemy is upon me and raping my base.

I've gotten some great tips from Yoshichan in-game that made me improve alot. I guess it's time to go online again. :)

WedgeX

Banned
twofold said:
Looked fine. Just get online - don't worry about winning or losing. You will lose a lot so accept that and move on.

I really recommend Trump's 3 Rax build, by the way. There's a video guide here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWItSrXKwzw

It'll work well all the way up to Diamond and teach you the basics of macro, timing pushes and what not. Just focus on keeping your money low and continually building workers and you'll be fine.

Dizzy is a pro at this build. And Dizzy + splinter are great teachers.

Proc

Hey guys...when do you stop making probes? I sort of have the always build probes and pylpns mantra down but when and if ever do I stop building probes? Is there ever a hard cap ?

zlatko

Banned
Proc said:
Hey guys...when do you stop making probes? I sort of have the always build probes and pylpns mantra down but when and if ever do I stop building probes? Is there ever a hard cap ?

I know as a Zerg I try to stop around 90 drones if I have enough bases to support that. Just remember it's around 30 workers per base you want if I'm not mistaken.

zlatko said:
I know as a Zerg I try to stop around 90 drones if I have enough bases to support that. Just remember it's around 30 workers per base you want if I'm not mistaken.

given the fact how shitty zerg units are that's a bit overkill, as you will only have around 100 food to throw on actual units, discounting queens.

If I recall correctly...

Full saturation of a mineral line is 3 workers per patch. So 8 patches x 3 workers = 24 workers. With 3 on each gas, that adds up to 30.

However, if you have 3 workers per mineral patch, the last worker brings in less minerals/second than the first two. If you have 2 workers per patch, your workers are producing more per worker. That point is reached at 8 x 2 = 16, plus 6 on gas = 22 on a base.

So even with a saturated main, it still makes sense to transfer workers to an expansion and 'undersaturate' your main--because you will get more bang for your buck (until you're saturated there).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
22 per base is the ideal you should aim for.

zlatko

Banned
Pandaman said:
22 per base is the ideal you should aim for.

22 really eh? Hmm. I forget where I heard the 30 number from, but I think it was one of day9's streams.

so a total of 6 doing gas, and 16 on minerals ? or 22 on minerals and 6 for the gas to make 28 per base?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
22 really eh? Hmm. I forget where I heard the 30 number from, but I think it was one of day9's streams.

so a total of 6 doing gas, and 16 on minerals ? or 22 on minerals and 6 for the gas to make 28 per base?
first one.

any drone past the 16th could do more work on a base with less than 16.

zlatko

Banned
Pandaman said:
first one.

any drone past the 16th could do more work on a base with less than 16.

Cool cool. :)

Question about drone transfer then. For the natural how many do you usually transfer over at the start, and when droning up past that, how do you go about getting drones for the third? Do you make an extra 22 to mine on the natural, then when the third is up pop them over? Or do you just wait for the third to be up, let like 8 from the main or natural over to it, then use larvae to get the 14 necessary to saturate?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
zlatko said:
Cool cool. :)

Question about drone transfer then. For the natural how many do you usually transfer over at the start, and when droning up past that, how do you go about getting drones for the third? Do you make an extra 22 to mine on the natural, then when the third is up pop them over? Or do you just wait for the third to be up, let like 8 from the main or natural over to it, then use larvae to get the 14 necessary to saturate?
i usually transfer 6 drones, except in zvz where i dont transfer at all. [too risky to have drones at nat early on]

i also usually build my drones for the third in advance, incase anything happens to the third the drones there would be extras and not as critical to my economy/hurtful to my larvae in a crisis. plus, just because they aren't perfectly efficient doesnt mean they wont help in the meantime at my main and natural. if both get to 30 and i transfer 8 from each, suddenly i have three bases running on full tilt and i only need to make 8 drones for the new gases.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
results for team GAF in the second IPL qualifier! we managed to match our previous performance, albeit with different names in different places. the champion this week is chanstaa!

-

panda eliminated by a grand masters protoss in round of 512
holden eliminated by a grand masters protoss in round of 256
elcheris eliminated by a masters zerg in round of 256
chanstaa eliminated by a grand masters protoss in round of 128

Pandaman said:
results for team GAF in the second IPL qualifier! we managed to match our previous performance, albeit with different names in different places. the champion this week is chanstaa!

-

panda eliminated by a grand masters protoss in round of 512
holden eliminated by a grand masters protoss in round of 256
elcheris eliminated by a masters zerg in round of 256
chanstaa eliminated by a grand masters protoss in round of 128
fucking protoss :p

Terproerg

ugh, i dont know which race to actually learn. this random stuff isnt working out for my anger and such. I know that i dont want to play Terran as well their not my style of gameplay. im stuck between picking Z or P for my main. have same win % as both of them according to SCgears :\.

Keikaku

a176 said:

Please tell me that you only spawn top-bottom, right? If you can spawn same side, then I don't think a Zerg player would be too happy. The center raised area looks to be happy place for Terrans with Siege tanks and/or PFs, maybe not so happy for Protoss or Zerg.

I dunno, I'd have to play it to see.

Keikaku said:
Please tell me that you only spawn top-bottom, right? If you can spawn same side, then I don't think a Zerg player would be too happy. The center raised area looks to be happy place for Terrans with Siege tanks and/or PFs, maybe not so happy for Protoss or Zerg.

I dunno, I'd have to play it to see.

Are Zerg players ever happy?

Keikaku

Chinese Electric Batman said:

I'm a Zerg and I'm generally happy unless I:
- am playing another Zerg
- Getting bunker rushed
- Getting 2-raxed on close positions on Metalopolis
- Getting 4-gated
- Getting cannon rushed
- Getting cannon rushed into void rays
- Ge . . . oh

IceMarker

So due to working some extra shifts at work the info for the next tournament will be delayed into this weeks GAF night, although I will be sending out PMs for the 16 invites as soon as Monday. Registration for the remaining 16 slots will be open shortly after.

The NeoGAF 2011 Starcraft Summer Invitational will start before E3 2011.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Chinese Electric Batman said:

Would you ever be happy if you were abused by your parents as a child? Playing zerg can feel like that since there are so many ways to cause them unpleasantness.

Whoa whoa, just heard about the MLG/GSL agreement. I'd imagine some folks will say foreigners are being given quite a leg up here, but coming in 1-4th in MLG pretty much means you should be at least good enough to compete with Code A folks; the players who get to go to Korea certainly won't be push overs. Looking back at the previous MLG, three of the four finalists are very good (Naniwa, SelecT, and Kiwikaki), with InControl being the most questionable person in the group (but still a good player obviously)

The benefits of this are going to be quite amazing. Top foreigners will get to compete and practice with some of the best players in the world, and 4 Koreans will get a chance to make very good money.

I wonder though, if Idra were to finish in the top 4, would he go back to Korea and compete until the end of competition? There could be many players who wouldn't take the opportunity

Q8D3vil

as a cheesy terran i decided to go back to the basic and try marine scv all in
apparently it kinda work on protoss (4 wins against toss and 4 loses) but not so much on zerg ( all fail :( )

Tetsuo9

PhoenixDark said:
Whoa whoa, just heard about the MLG/GSL agreement. I'd imagine some folks will say foreigners are being given quite a leg up here, but coming in 1-4th in MLG pretty much means you should be at least good enough to compete with Code A folks; the players who get to go to Korea certainly won't be push overs. Looking back at the previous MLG, three of the four finalists are very good (Naniwa, SelecT, and Kiwikaki), with InControl being the most questionable person in the group (but still a good player obviously)

The benefits of this are going to be quite amazing. Top foreigners will get to compete and practice with some of the best players in the world, and 4 Koreans will get a chance to make very good money.

I wonder though, if Idra were to finish in the top 4, would he go back to Korea and compete until the end of competition? There could be many players who wouldn't take the opportunity
It's actually not a very good deal for foreigners because they will get a ticket to code A and accomodations for just a month. Idra is not gonna do it not even for a place in code s. He is making a lot more money in the west, and there are more competitions too, being in korea leaves you only with gsl.

You can listen to the last state of the game podcast for more opinions on this topic.

PhoenixDark said:

Idra said he wouldn't go.

Zzoram

They updated the MLG/GSL cross over deal.

MLG winners get a direct slot into Code S, but the next 3 spots get Code A, all of which the players can choose to refuse.

A lot of players would try Code S if they won free accomodations for a month and the opportunity to play in Code S. Idra won't because he's done it before, but for someone who hasn't been to Korea before, it will be very tempting to go to the homeland of professional Starcraft for a month for the experience.

Also, Idra left his Code S spot because he spent 3 years in Korea and wanted to go home to the US. It's not like being offered another Code S spot would be a big deal to him, he's already been there and done that for several seasons.

zlatko

Banned
Meeru said:
GUYS JOIN THE HON CRUSADE AS THEY ARE HAVING 11 DAYS OF FREE HON GAMING. Hurry!!

tumblr_lgbj3sN4Td1qf8yek.gif

You must be high man. SC2 > all games.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Meeru said:
GUYS JOIN THE HON CRUSADE AS THEY ARE HAVING 11 DAYS OF FREE HON GAMING. Hurry!!

This game ruins friendships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom