• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sniper McBlaze said:
All my friends have disappeared from my friends list in Starcraft 2. Is this a known bug or have I fucked up somehow? How do I fix it?
Sounds like a weird problem to me... I'll add you again!

edit: WOW, grats to silver man! Some real progress right there bro :D

Elcheris said:
Would you ever be happy if you were abused by your parents as a child? Playing zerg can feel like that since there are so many ways to cause them unpleasantness.
My uncle touched me in my no no place.... I mean terran.

Tetsuo9 said:
It's actually not a very good deal for foreigners because they will get a ticket to code A and accomodations for just a month. Idra is not gonna do it not even for a place in code s. He is making a lot more money in the west, and there are more competitions too, being in korea leaves you only with gsl.

You can listen to the last state of the game podcast for more opinions on this topic.

Yea, the SotG ep 37 talked about it and pretty much said in most cases, all the high profile SCII foreigners wouldn't go because of how hard they are trying to promote eSports over here, and because of the limitations living in Korea and competing in the GSL would cause. I think they said there is a lot more money to be made by competing in foreign tournaments compared to just competing in Code A or even Code S.

You only need to stay for a week, maybe two max to know if you're gonna have a shot at getting in code S, What "big" tournaments are you gonna be missing out of exactly in that span of time ?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Dont you get like 1k $ for r32 of code s too? It would be stupid to turn that down, easy money. Code a I can understand, but 1-2 weeks of missing other stuff to see isn't that bad.

hamchan

$1.5k for winning Code A is such a joke lol. The competition there is equal or greater in terms of toughness than any foreigner tournament too.

hamchan said:
$1.5k for winning Code A is such a joke lol. The competition there is equal or greater in terms of toughness than any foreigner tournament too.
Your goal should never be to win code A tbh, so the prize money is irrelevant.

Trickster

Corran Horn said:
Dont you get like 1k $ for r32 of code s too? It would be stupid to turn that down, easy money. Code a I can understand, but 1-2 weeks of missing other stuff to see isn't that bad.

You pretty much gotta stay in korea for a month. Even if you only make it to the RO8, you still gotta be ready to participate in the up and down matches.

mcrae

TheThunder said:
Your goal should never be to win code A tbh, so the prize money is irrelevant.

yeah but his point is to qualify for code s via code a is an equal challenge as winning a foreigner tournament, so if the prize money of placing in top of code a isnt the same as a top foreigner tournament then the risk isnt worth the reward depending on the players expectations of how far they would go. its worthwhile for a guy who thinks he can win code a, get into code s, and make enough money there to make it all worthwhile. its not worth it for someone who thinks they wont make it all the way to code s money pot

...that wasnt very coherent. someone else go explain it better please

Plus, especially in the case of Tyler, Idra, and inControl, they are all more concerned with promoting eSports in the U.S. which is where a lot of the conversation in the SotG comes from since they all appear on SotG.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Trickster said:
You pretty much gotta stay in korea for a month. Even if you only make it to the RO8, you still gotta be ready to participate in the up and down matches.
It's interesting that people look at it from a somewhat negative perspective, rather than the fact that they get free accomodation in Korea and get the experience an entire different culture for a few weeks.

Ikuu said:
It's interesting that people look at it from a somewhat negative perspective, rather than the fact that they get free accomodation in Korea and get the experience an entire different culture for a few weeks.

I'd do it in a heartbeat mostly for those reasons, but a lot of the players we speak of already have spent time over there.

Oh, and I'm bronze league :)

mcrae said:
yeah but his point is to qualify for code s via code a is an equal challenge as winning a foreigner tournament, so if the prize money of placing in top of code a isnt the same as a top foreigner tournament then the risk isnt worth the reward depending on the players expectations of how far they would go. its worthwhile for a guy who thinks he can win code a, get into code s, and make enough money there to make it all worthwhile. its not worth it for someone who thinks they wont make it all the way to code s money pot

...that wasnt very coherent. someone else go explain it better please
That really, really depends.

You have to win 2 bo3 to able to play the up&down and 1 (or 2) bo 3 to get into code S, so highly dependent on the bracket you get dealt.

but my main point was, if you lose in ro32-ro16 code a, then just pack up and leave. I doubt you've missed much in those 1 or 2 weeks it took you to play those games on tv, or even stay ans get to experience a new country and culture different to yours for a month for free.

V_Arnold

Ikuu said:

They wont go there to experience korean culture, their goal there is to keep practicing for a month and try to be in the best shape to win Code A. It will be an experience,but not in a way that might benefit them, especially if they got food poisoning on the way due to the sudden shift in meal types :)

Trickster

Ikuu said:

They don't go there to take a vacation and see the scenery. They go there to sit in a room and practice for hours on end, in order to give themselves the best chance possible to do well in GSL.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
B4HIP.jpg

apparently the solution to 6gate blink is droping one hero hydralisk and getting +1

Zzoram

V_Arnold said:
They wont go there to experience korean culture, their goal there is to keep practicing for a month and try to be in the best shape to win Code A. It will be an experience,but not in a way that might benefit them, especially if they got food poisoning on the way due to the sudden shift in meal types :)

1) They don't practice all their waking hours. They will have at least a few hours a week to explore Korean culture and hit a few tourist sites.

2) You don't get food poisoning from shifting meal types. Food poisoning is due to bacterial toxins produced in food that was not correctly processed or stored.

Tetsuo9

So, about mid to late game ZvP, How should I respond to Immortals+Stalkers/Sentry/zealot when I opened up with roach and lings?.

I have tried to get Brood lords but I usually can't manage to have more than 3 or 4 for the final fight, and sometimes they get easily sniped by blink stalkers.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tetsuo9 said:
So, about mid to late game ZvP, How should I respond to Immortals+Stalkers/Sentry/zealot when I opened up with roach and lings?.

I have tried to get Brood lords but I usually can't manage to have more than 3 or 4 for the final fight, and sometimes they get easily sniped by blink stalkers.
broodlords are for colossi and tanks, you dont build them to do damage, you build them so enemy aoe fires on the broodlings.

get hydra or infestor for your primary dps.

Tetsuo9

Pandaman said:
broodlords are for colossi and tanks, you dont build them to do damage, you build them so enemy aoe fires on the broodlings.

get hydra or infestor for your primary dps.
Ok I see, If i choose infestors, should I focus on fungals or neural parasite immortals?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Tetsuo9 said:
Ok I see, If i choose infestors, should I focus on fungals or neural parasite immortals?
tough call, immortals are usually up front so you can safely neural them without much worry of blink becaus he probably wont want to blink right into the thick of your roaches, buut stalkers with blink will troll through roaches pretty quickly without fungals.

i'd probably go with fungals so you have a higher chance of scoring kills. plus it's not a terrible way to tear down hardened shields.

Slavik81

Zzoram said:
2) You don't get food poisoning from shifting meal types. Food poisoning is due to bacterial toxins produced in food that was not correctly processed or stored.
Your body and symbiotes within it adapt to processing certain kinds of food. If you quickly make radical changes to your diet, you can certainly get sick.

A poison is nothing more than a substance that makes you ill. That, by definition, would mean you were poisoned.

V_Arnold

Zzoram said:
1) They don't practice all their waking hours. They will have at least a few hours a week to explore Korean culture and hit a few tourist sites.

Please, I know what food poisining is. It is just the easy term for "shitting your pants if your stomach is not used to that kind of food" without really needing to type this out, even if it is NOT food poisoning :p

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
To be quite honest I hardly actually play sc2 because it feels really intimidating. I've been watching a lot of gsl and have been trying to catchup on my backlog of day9 commentary and honestly only play custom maps lately. Somehow after losing my 1v1 placement match I was placed into silver and I kind of feel like I shouldn't even play just to keep my elite silver status, lol. I know of course that this is silly and that quite honestly silver isn't even a big deal. I'm making this post hoping that perhaps there are others like me who lurk about and are also a little wary of jumping into sc2. Perhaps we could jump in together. Maybe someone who's experienced wouldn't mind having an excited noob under their wing. I Don't know, anything is possible I guess. Just hoping to find a partner to work on my game play with, do 2's to screw around, whatever really. I just want to reiterate that I am certainly bronze level, no idea why they gave my silver but, I am most certainly trying to improve. If you're interested send me a pm and we can buddy up on battle.net. Alternatively I'm usually on irc.

Vaporak

oxrock said:
To be quite honest I hardly actually play sc2 because it feels really intimidating. I've been watching a lot of gsl and have been trying to catchup on my backlog of day9 commentary and honestly only play custom maps lately. Somehow after losing my 1v1 placement match I was placed into silver and I kind of feel like I shouldn't even play just to keep my elite silver status, lol. I know of course that this is silly and that quite honestly silver isn't even a big deal. I'm making this post hoping that perhaps there are others like me who lurk about and are also a little wary of jumping into sc2. Perhaps we could jump in together. Maybe someone who's experienced wouldn't mind having an excited noob under their wing. I Don't know, anything is possible I guess. Just hoping to find a partner to work on my game play with, do 2's to screw around, whatever really. I just want to reiterate that I am certainly bronze level, no idea why they gave my silver but, I am most certainly trying to improve. If you're interested send me a pm and we can buddy up on battle.net. Alternatively I'm usually on irc.

The ladder makes a lot of people nervous, but just hop on the Neogaf chat channel; there's always some people around in there.

Kawl_USC

So I missed the TSL finals, which after staying up to watch the abysmal GSL finals two days ago is frustrating as it seems the TSL finals were much better games. Is TSL similar to GSL where you can only view VOD's if you are a subscriber or are they available to all?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kawl_USC said:
So I missed the TSL finals, which after staying up to watch the abysmal GSL finals two days ago is frustrating as it seems the TSL finals were much better games. Is TSL similar to GSL where you can only view VOD's if you are a subscriber or are they available to all?

No, they will be up on Youtube soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamliquidnet

Draft

oxrock said:
Just play. Just play and play and play. Lose. Lose. Lose. I lost like 6 games in a row over the last week. Now I'm winning.

Playing the computer is a waste of time. The only way to improve those macro and micro techniques is in the heat of battle with live human opponents. It may take a dozen or two dozen or who knows how many matches before your technique clicks. But that's what it will take.

ultron87

Kawl_USC said:

Nah. TSL is cool and puts up everything for free at www.youtube.com/teamliquidnet.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=203014 This thread has them in a nice spoiler format so you won't know how many matches there were.

Snow

Pankaks said:
No, they will be up on Youtube soon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamliquidnet
And in HD too. :)

I'd watch them on http://www.pokerstrategytsl3.com/vods though, where they will be 'spoiler free'. Meaning that you can see how many matches were played if you look at the youtube channel, which at a certain point in the series will result in you knowing the result of some of the matches. the tsl3 page will hide the next matches unitl you click on it.

oxrock

Draft said:
Just play. Just play and play and play. Lose. Lose. Lose. I lost like 6 games in a row over the last week. Now I'm winning.

Playing the computer is a waste of time. The only way to improve those macro and micro techniques is in the heat of battle with live human opponents. It may take a dozen or two dozen or who knows how many matches before your technique clicks. But that's what it will take.
I'm much more likely to play if I have someone to play with. Someone to bullshit with afterwards and perhaps analyze how to improve upon areas where I'm weak. More or less make it more of a social fun experience as opposed to just grinding on the ladder.

Draft

oxrock said:
I'm much more likely to play if I have someone to play with. Someone to bullshit with afterwards and perhaps analyze how to improve upon areas where I'm weak. More or less make it more of a social fun experience as opposed to just grinding on the ladder.
You need to do some grinding before you'll be fun to play with.

cdyhybrid

oxrock said:

Join the GAF chat channel!

zlatko

Banned
Draft said:
You need to do some grinding before you'll be fun to play with.

Huh? Gaf night is the perfect time to show up and be fuck bad yet still have fun with us to play.

If he's looking to actually get better at SC2, and someone here wants to take him under his wing, then we've had several people here before do it from what I've seen. Panda is the Zerg of SC2 community to get some solid tips from. Splinter is the Terran. Who's our Protoss wizard?

You're all special, but I've seen Panda and Splint actually offer lessons and such.

Keep playing, keep studying, and keep asking questions here to get answers. Learn one build, and keep make it more and more smooth. Pick a build that is safe and macro oriented.(3 gate expand, 14gas/14pool, etc)

There's no formula to getting better that every person can follow, but there are things each person I'm sure does/did to up their game and the number one thing is to just play the game.

Edit: @Pankaks Thanks. :D

oxrock

cdyhybrid said:
Join the GAF chat channel!
What exactly is the gaf chat channel? I typed in gaf and joined channel only to find myself as the only there, assuming it goes under another alias.

Draft

zlatko said:
Huh? Gaf night is the perfect time to show up and be fuck bad yet still have fun with us to play.

If he's looking to actually get better at SC2, and someone here wants to take him under his wing, then we've had several people here before do it from what I've seen. Panda is the Zerg of SC2 community to get some solid tips from. Splinter is the Terran. Who's our Protoss wizard?

You're all special, but I've seen Panda and Splint actually offer lessons and such.

Keep playing, keep studying, and keep asking questions here to get answers. Learn one build, and keep make it more and more smooth. Pick a build that is safe and macro oriented.(3 gate expand, 14gas/14pool, etc)

There's no formula to getting better that every person can follow, but there are things each person I'm sure does/did to up their game and the number one thing is to just play the game.

Edit: @Pankaks Thanks. :D
But don't you agree that certain mechanics can only be improved through repetition? I've been playing recently, exclusively Zerg, and after about 30 matches (and 20 losses) I feel like I'm finally starting to understand Zerg macro. I still have a long way to go, but I miss less injects.

When is SC2 night?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
oxrock said:
What exactly is the gaf chat channel? I typed in gaf and joined channel only to find myself as the only there, assuming it goes under another alias.

"NeoGaf"

Without the quotes :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom