• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Q8D3vil said:
mind control, the only real weakness to mass thors :(

Brood Lords range out Thors easily. Also, Mutas can make the Thors stay home by harassing. Obviously the Mutas can't engage them, but they can keep them from moving out just by keeping pressure on to force the Terran to keep them home for defense rather than offense.

Panda, the only issue I have with him taking the weak ones is that his units can deal with those ones fast enough that the duration that he's controlling units will end up being shorter, but I don't know, I guess either way has its advantages/disadvantages. Personally I hate it when they take my stronger Thors because they turn and rape my weaker ones and then it's fairly easy for them to surround what's left with Zerglings. That's assuming that he brought enough Infestors to fungal my Marines, however.

Q8D3vil

Jeff-DSA said:
Brood Lords range out Thors easily. Also, Mutas can make the Thors stay home by harassing. Obviously the Mutas can't engage them, but they can keep them from moving out just by keeping pressure on to force the Terran to keep them home for defense rather than offense.

Panda, the only issue I have with him taking the weak ones is that his units can deal with those ones fast enough that the duration that he's controlling units will end up being shorter, but I don't know, I guess either way has its advantages/disadvantages. Personally I hate it when they take my stronger Thors because they turn and rape my weaker ones and then it's fairly easy for them to surround what's left with Zerglings. That's assuming that he brought enough Infestors to fungal my Marines, however.
if we are talking about pro high level play i agree with you to some extent (just saw fenix beating morrow using mech into bio transition), but not in the ladder ( at least for what i've seen in diamond and master).

8 of the 11 games I've played today as a silver Zerg were vs. Z. HERP DERP META GAME

Matchmaking's broken.

Jeff-DSA said:
Brood Lords range out Thors easily.
How is this supposed to work when Broods have 9.5 range and Thors 10 vs. air?

Jeff-DSA

sidewinder said:
8 of the 11 games I've played today as a silver Zerg were vs. Z. HERP DERP META GAME

Matchmaking's broken.

I'm seeing the majority of my matchups against Zerg. Seems like lots of people are making the switch.

slidewinder said:
How is this supposed to work when Broods have 9.5 range and Thors 10 vs. air?

Because the Thors start to attack the Broodlings while the Brood Lords continually rain them down. Unless you have Vikings to support the Thors, it's not a pretty sight. If I see a Zerg going Brood Lords, I'm done producing Thors.

Q8D3vil

Jeff-DSA said:
Because the Thors start to attack the Broodlings while the Brood Lords continually rain them down. Unless you have Vikings to support the Thors, it's not a pretty sight. If I see a Zerg going Brood Lords, I'm done producing Thors.
+3 thor eat 0 armor broordlord for dinner, depend on the position.
when i sense hive i drop 2 starports and start producing either banshee or biking depend on the opponent while still producing thors.

Jeff-DSA said:
Because the Thors start to attack the Broodlings while the Brood Lords continually rain them down.
Ah, of course. That makes sense.
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm seeing the majority of my matchups against Zerg. Seems like lots of people are making the switch.
Nah. I just went and looked at my opponents, and all of the Zergs have "most played race Zerg" with most of them with 100+ wins this season. I think matchmaking's fucked up somehow. Although I did just get to play a Terran... finally.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The more zerg I get to play, the more times I have to press A.

I win

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mescalineeyes said:
yoshi you better be buying lots of keyboard if you are going to start playing zerg.
I was a zerg once remember?! During my most rage'y days

ultron87

butts said:
What is the best/funnest way to play Zerg in 4v4 or 3v3?

Surviving long enough to build a giant muta flock seems pretty effective.

Building a ridiculously large baneling pile can be quite entertaining.

butts

HolyCheck said:
Build Void Rays.

LOL

Those are all good ideas. They feel a little fragile, the only time I've ever felt almost invincible is mass fully upgraded roach. Seems that whatever people mass doesnt have an answer to that, even air because their ground sucks and I can roll through most bases before they can kill me off.

Mass infestor is really fun. It is awesome killing a flock of 18+ mutas in one fungal hold down. I can only imagine the rage on the other end of the monitor with that one. Mass neural would probably be fun as well, I pretty much never get that upgrade but I should try it out.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
butts said:
What is the best/funnest way to play Zerg in 4v4 or 3v3?
open speeding and spend the rest of the game mining for your partners.
or have your partners feed you for a mass muta build.

butts

Can friendly non-zerg build on your creep? I guess I've always done the safe thing and NOT spread creep at all but it would be nice to have it.

ultron87

butts said:
Can friendly non-zerg build on your creep? I guess I've always done the safe thing and NOT spread creep at all but it would be nice to have it.

Nope. You need to be careful with that on shared base maps.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Was waiting for some news to be published before i wrote anything about dreamhack first. I won't be going to dreamhack, Luckily it's not a long-term problem i.e my arm/hand so don't worry too much. I suffer from panic attacks while travelling, and all my travel regime was messed up - When i was younger i got lost in Paris and Singapore when i was 15-16 on my own, and ever since i've suffered pretty badly. Flight plans were organised pretty late, and nobody was available for my return/outward flights to help pick me up. I know it was alot to ask, but it's something i can't really help. I'm sorry to DH, sorry for my team, and especially to everyone who wanted to support me, i've been training hard and recently had a minor breakthrough in the FXOpen EU quallifier where i performed pretty well, and felt my oldself returning. Luckily just around the corner is another tournament being Homestory cup 3 which is all sorted out already, i'll be heading over there with Tod and Rotterdam so it's all fine. Again apologies - hopefully this won't happen again, i'm more disappointed than anyone else, i can assure you that. ;( - Will carry on trying to get my old self back, and hopefully get better than i was before, training excessive hours and want to do as best i can. Thanks everyone.

Demuslim on why he couldnt go to dreamhack

that's pretty shit :( poor dude

Yoshichan

Aaaaaaaaand EVERYTHING for Dreamhack is set to go :)! 12 more hours...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yoshichan said:
Aaaaaaaaand EVERYTHING for Dreamhack is set to go :)! 12 more hours...
Awesome Yoshi! Make sure you have a GAF cheerful handy!

will you be able to watch the GSL finals ? I'm not sure of how far you're travelling / if you'll get there just as dream hack starts or with time!

and i don't think so deadman

hi guys i've finally gotten the urge to play starcraft 2 after playing broodwar for around 5 years now that they tweaked it and added channels but i'm not sure my computer can handle it. i don't have some sort of great gaming computer, just a pc i bought a year and a half ago for school work and stuff. when the beta came out i was able to play the game but after about 10 minutes of playing i'd get severe slowdown/lag which i later found out was because my graphics card was over heating. now, i know absolutely nothing about computers so i was hoping someone here could tell me what would be an alright graphics card that would allow me to play starcraft 2 at medium to high settings, and i was wondering if installing one was hard because i'd have no idea what to do. if you need any of my computer specs i'll post them, thanks!

matthewd49 said:
hi guys i've finally gotten the urge to play starcraft 2 after playing broodwar for around 5 years now that they tweaked it and added channels but i'm not sure my computer can handle it. i don't have some sort of great gaming computer, just a pc i bought a year and a half ago for school work and stuff. when the beta came out i was able to play the game but after about 10 minutes of playing i'd get severe slowdown/lag which i later found out was because my graphics card was over heating. now, i know absolutely nothing about computers so i was hoping someone here could tell me what would be an alright graphics card that would allow me to play starcraft 2 at medium to high settings, and i was wondering if installing one was hard because i'd have no idea what to do. if you need any of my computer specs i'll post them, thanks!

its really simple to install.
I recommend something along the lines of a GTX 480, they should be well under 200 bucks now and you can almost max out the game at 60fps.

mescalineeyes said:
its really simple to install.
I recommend something along the lines of a GTX 480, they should be well under 200 bucks now and you can almost max out the game at 60fps.

is it as simple as say just unhooking the old graphics card and putting the new one in its place?

Vaporak

matthewd49 said:
yeah after my post i looked at a few videos and it seems surprisingly easy compared to what i thought.

Computers are pretty much just expensive legos as far as putting it together is concerned, just make sure your power supply is strong enough to run whatever card you end up getting. Also, post in the "I need a new PC" thread that's floating around the gaming side, lots of helpful people in there.

Vaporak said:
Computers are pretty much just expensive legos as far as putting it together is concerned, just make sure your power supply is strong enough to run whatever card you end up getting. Also, post in the "I need a new PC" thread that's floating around the gaming side, lots of helpful people in there.

thanks i was searching for that thread earlier but forgot the name, will do.

a176

Banned
matthewd49 said:
thanks i was searching for that thread earlier but forgot the name, will do.

SC2 is really more CPU dependent rather than video; of course, you'll probably still need to get a more competent video card if the one you have is pretty low tier, but you don't need a $200 card to run SC2, far from it.

Do you know the specs of your system?

matthewd49 said:

My 6 y/o gen 1 intel iMac plays it on low settings fine, you should be way fine to play it.

a176 said:
SC2 is really more CPU dependent rather than video; of course, you'll probably still need to get a more competent video card if the one you have is pretty low tier, but you don't need a $200 card to run SC2, far from it.

Do you know the specs of your system?

yeah, here are the specs:

cpu: amd athlon (tm) 7550 dual core processor 2.50 GHz
ram: 8gb
graphics card: integrated geforce 9100
300W power supply

after doing some research i've found that if i were put in a better graphics card that i'd have to also upgrade the power supply because that is also inadequate. so, do you guys think i'd be able to run the game at low settings and resolution and just hold out for another 2-3 years and then buy a brand new pc then instead, since we all know starcraft 2 will be around for at least 10 more years.

a176

Banned
matthewd49 said:
yeah, here are the specs:

cpu: amd athlon (tm) 7550 dual core processor 2.50 GHz
ram: 8gb
graphics card: integrated geforce 9100
300W power supply

after doing some research i've found that if i were put in a better graphics card that i'd have to also upgrade the power supply because that is also inadequate. so, do you guys think i'd be able to run the game at low settings and resolution and just hold out for another 2-3 years and then buy a brand new pc then instead, since we all know starcraft 2 will be around for at least 10 more years.

nothing really to say except ... try it and see

you can get a good combo like this for $165
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102878&cm_re=5830-_-14-102-878-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207012

jasonng

Back on the ladder grind, so far taking on easy opponents so free empty wins! I think what I want to work on now is my timing pushes. I know I play the macro game pretty much 98% of my games but I finally realize that being so passive until near 200 supply is the Zerg's way of turtling. Watching my replays I notice moments where I can just go fucking kill him but I can't actually see it during my match. I may have to start playing other races seriously just so I can learning their timings/how fast I can get this unit at xx amount.

Here's a prime example:

I could've won at any point after my initial muta harass but all I did was expanding and spreading that creep, until the point where it was reaching his natural. I really need to get out of that Artosis state of mind.

a176

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
New game, new win! The guy I mer wasn't too good, but I'm still pretty satisfied about how I play. Especially in the beginning when he attacked my base and I walled him out.

How was this game compared to my other protoss replays? I know I still have some troubles with using my minerals and other stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8a7gtid5ntgyl5r

seems like you dont really know what youre going for when the game starts. itd be best to learn a build and follow it ... like the 4 gate :)

a176

Banned
jasonng said:
Back on the ladder grind, so far taking on easy opponents so free empty wins! I think what I want to work on now is my timing pushes. I know I play the macro game pretty much 98% of my games but I finally realize that being so passive until near 200 supply is the Zerg's way of turtling. Watching my replays I notice moments where I can just go fucking kill him but I can't actually see it during my match. I may have to start playing other races seriously just so I can learning their timings/how fast I can get this unit at xx amount.

Here's a prime example:

I could've won at any point after my initial muta harass but all I did was expanding and spreading that creep, until the point where it was reaching his natural. I really need to get out of that Artosis state of mind.

when i realize that point, i go four base baneling ;d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom