• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accidentus

Neo Member
GK0E7.jpg

From TL, obviously

twofold

That was anticlimactic. Will be fun to see Select when he heads to GSL next month.

Congrats to Idra on his super solid play all tournament.

Snow

MLG Dallas seems to have a better price pool for SC2. $17000, up from $7000 total price pool for MLG DC. With the winner at Dallas getting $6250.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
JoeFu said:
Hope idra goes to MLG Dallas. I want to see him play in person!

It doesn't look like he's playing a strategy game. It looks like he's playing Fret's on Fire with the keyboard.

Mystery

Snow said:
MLG Dallas seems to have a better price pool for SC2. $17000, up from $7000 total price pool for MLG DC. With the winner at Dallas getting $6250.

Dallas is Nationals, which is why the prize pool is higher. The other events all just lead up to the one major event at the end of the year.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
TheThunder said:
Yeah, I just want to see a big SC2 tourney in the west with around 10k for 1st place.
They made it seem like HDH2 was going to be a big prize pool. But that tournament seems to fizzle out.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Mardil said:
Hey anyplace i can watch the MLG games? I missed the stream and I cant use the MLG site :S. Any youtube channel?
Any replay files should be released soon. But the vods who knows. Took MLG like over a month to finally release the vods of Raleigh Tournament.

Meeru

Banned
Mystery said:
Dallas is Nationals, which is why the prize pool is higher. The other events all just lead up to the one major event at the end of the year.
hmm when is it? i could prolly go there and watch em

f0rk

valenti said:
hmm when is it? i could prolly go there and watch em

November 5th-7th

Yeah, I just want to see a big SC2 tourney in the west with around 10k for 1st place.

The IEM world finals might reach that, considering it's a while off (they haven't even announced the euro finals yet) and the game is constantly growing in numbers to show to sponsors.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
They want SC2 Tournaments to be much more global this time around instead of Korea. They better care about MLG :/
I should have added a ':lol'

But honestly they did it because GSL is more important than this, they probably will give Dallas more leeway.

Zing

Banned
I can't help but wonder if a separate thread would be preferred for all this live stream talk. I mean, the last 4 pages (and I have my settings to maximum posts per page) have been virtually 100% "chat" about a live stream. Literally the kind of stuff you would see in the chat box on the stream's web page.

punkypine

if i'm bronze, why does matchmaking make me play against almost entirely gold and platinum (in the last 7 games i've played 1 silver, 3 plat, 4 gold)... i'm 3-4 in those games, but its just kinda frustrating, i have like 10 games experience

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
punkypine said:
if i'm bronze, why does matchmaking make me play against almost entirely gold and platinum (in the last 7 games i've played 1 silver, 3 plat, 4 gold)... i'm 3-4 in those games, but its just kinda frustrating, i have like 10 games experience
the games making sure you werent misplaced or aren't smurfing.

Aylinato

btw, what is everyones achievements at, mine is at 2170(i think?) I mostly do the ones that u only have to do 1 thing for lol..so the easy ones

I also think we should get some GAF teams together so we can ROFLstomp people =)

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I need help learning to play versus. I used to play StarCraft at LAN parties all the time. I destroyed my friends, and never broke a sweat. I never worried about perfecting build orders, never put to much thought to managing my population and making the best use of my resources. I relied on my micro and quick thinking. I knew which units worked well in specific situations, and I just winged it.

I just got StarCraft 2 a few days ago. I've played 3 practice matches (the really slow ones that you get 50 of when you start the game). I won two, and lost one. For someone who has had a lot of experience with StarCraft, this is INCREDIBLY disappointing. I've been trying to brush up with medium computers, and while I've never lost, I consistently beat the computer by a tiny margin. I don't have a chance in hell playing competitive online right now, but I would absolutely love to learn.

Are there any resources for learning to play like the pros? Descriptions of why certain decisions are made, dos and don'ts of competitive play, and general strategy overview?

AcridMeat

Banned
There are different ways to absorb the information. One friend linked me to a huge spreadsheet on every unit, what their strengths and weaknesses are and such. I don't do well with that type of information, so I've slowly been gaining knowledge from experience in game and watching a good amount of commentated replays.

edit: If you haven't done so look at the tech tree in the game (click the question mark).

classicdms

Neo Member
ProudClod said:
I need help learning to play versus. I used to play StarCraft at LAN parties all the time. I destroyed my friends, and never broke a sweat. I never worried about perfecting build orders, never put to much thought to managing my population and making the best use of my resources. I relied on my micro and quick thinking. I knew which units worked well in specific situations, and I just winged it.

I just got StarCraft 2 a few days ago. I've played 3 practice matches (the really slow ones that you get 50 of when you start the game). I won two, and lost one. For someone who has had a lot of experience with StarCraft, this is INCREDIBLY disappointing. I've been trying to brush up with medium computers, and while I've never lost, I consistently beat the computer by a tiny margin. I don't have a chance in hell playing competitive online right now, but I would absolutely love to learn.

Are there any resources for learning to play like the pros? Descriptions of why certain decisions are made, dos and don'ts of competitive play, and general strategy overview?
Watching good commentary of pro matches helps. I've been soaking in matches and commentary and I feel like I understand the game a lot better now.

However, I say this while not having played a game of Starcraft for something like a month and a half now. I'm gonna play through Fallout: New Vegas before I pick it back up and see if I can do anything with all the shit I've learned.

Zertez

I havent kept up with the tournament scene the past few months. How did Idra do in the GSL and after the switch to a new team?

Cels

ProudClod said:

wow man, don't freak about going 2-1...even though you may have been good at sc1, sc2 is still different enough that you need to learn the game.

there are videos about how to play all over the net, day9 is one of the most popular creators, also you can head to teamliquid to look up strategies. but the best thing to do is just keep playing more matches.

also, unless you are an absolute top-level player, blizzard's matchmaking is going to put you at a .500 win ratio.

Chaser

Woo! Got promoted to Platinum today after a long, excellent game with a Zerg player (I play Protoss).
I still have a lot to improve macro-wise (I had ~3000 minerals laying around at the end of the game on three active bases), and my APM is usually horrid, but it feels good just to get this far. :D

And I know it's almost annoying at this point, but if you're struggling - watch Day9. Since I started watching his dailies I've gone from bronze to platinum in around three weeks. He's very, very helpful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ProudClod said:

Learn an opening build order, play a lot.
1 base play and cheese is the norm for most.

Don't beat yourself up if you only experience is with battle.net and friends for SC 1.

Everyone who sorta played SC I on iccup that was a D+ player is easily diamond.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
theres really no point in learning build orders until his fundamentals are down solid.

a 4gate wont do squat if the push comes at 15min because you had bad econ, bad macro and food blocks.

and once again :lol at the ICCUP nonsense.
'everyone with a level 50 character in WoW is atleast a diamond' makes about as much sense.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
theres really no point in learning build orders until his fundamentals are down solid.

a 4gate wont do squat if the push comes at 15min because you had bad econ, bad macro and food blocks.

and once again :lol at the ICCUP nonsense.
'everyone with a level 50 character in WoW is atleast a diamond' makes about as much sense.
Why can't you let me spew nonsense about SC II panda :[

I say opening build orders because to me a build order entails getting the timings correct, thus building solid fundamentals. e.g.

Workers all the time
Enough production facilities to pump units
Tech timing
Adding on more production facilities to account for workers
Getting a feel for when to build supply structures, etc.

I mention iccup because he talked about SC:BW. A D+ on iccup had to manage fundamentals and 3x the work as SC II. I was talking about this earlier so I just brought it up here, that's all. "Easily diamond" is a reach though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom