• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/1136961#blog

NA – Global – 11/11

PvT: 59.8%

PvZ: 51.7%

TvZ: 50.3%

NA - Diamond – 11/11

PvT: 55.3%

PvZ: 52.1%

TvZ: 48.4%

Korea – Global – 11/11

PvT: 57.0%

PvZ: 49.7%

TvZ: 54.2%

Korea – Diamond – 11/11

PvT: 58.0%

PvZ: 43.0%

TvZ: 46.1%

Europe – Global – 11/11

PvT: 51.0%

PvZ: 48.6%

TvZ: 51.5%

Europe – Diamond – 11/11

PvT: 48.3%

PvZ: 51.5%

TvZ: 51.4%

So in korea protoss and zerg are dominating terran, with protoss then dominating zerg. Yet in europe terran are the strongest :lol

Working on the balance team must be really annoying.

V_Arnold

Luckily, the BlizzCon balance video clearly shows that they have a lot of other measurements for balance, different strategies across different realms are clearly in place.

V_Arnold

That is it BTW. I had enough of the uninformed ZVZ decisions I have been making. Already starting to see a pattern, and I am going to crack it wide open. AND I will write a guide about it. This is my new project now. The Ultimate Guide to ZVZ.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:lol Oh, you guys...
fanboi said:
unfortunately he stopped playing Protoss
Ugh, don't remind me of that crap. I was never having fun as toss. Thank Kerrigan for Zerg, without the swarm, I wouldn't be playing SC2 anymore!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
close to the edge said:
I can't believe how angry I get when I lose. I'm usually pretty relaxed and shit but this game..man. I just ragequit after being cannonrushed in a random vs random matchup on scrap station. I sent my overlord to his base, saw only a forge, scouted my base, saw his pylon, it was already done and tried to surround his probe with my drones for like 5 minutes, he built 3 cannons (that didnt actually do anything), I got pissed and alt-f4 without gg. I really gotta stay more calm.
let 2 drones follow the probe and attack every cannon with 3 workers.
Always try to keep your calm in such situations. Don't try to kill the pylon because once the cannons are there he can just plant 3-4 pylons and your attacks have been for nothing. 3 workers per cannon is enough to stop it from completing if spotted fast enough.

If you see a gateway you need 6 workers per gate to destroy it before completion.

Zzoram

It'll be good to see these breakdowns once Master League and Grand Master League are out, so we can see what the ratios are like at the actual top level. Diamond is still too wide a net.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
:lol
V_Arnold said:
That is it BTW. I had enough of the uninformed ZVZ decisions I have been making. Already starting to see a pattern, and I am going to crack it wide open. AND I will write a guide about it. This is my new project now. The Ultimate Guide to ZVZ.

Will read! Please do it soon!

Zzoram said:
It'll be good to see these breakdowns once Master League and Grand Master League are out, so we can see what the ratios are like at the actual top level. Diamond is still too wide a net.

The question is, who do you cater to?

Snow

mescalineeyes said:
if the game is balanced, the game is balanced. no need to cater to anyone.
At the same time, you don't really want to have strategies that are way, way easier to pull off than they are to counter for anybody but the top diamond players. But the game doesn't really have those, I think. They're obviously balancing for top level 1v1, but I think it's obvious in the design of the game that they at least tried to avoid having a glaring situation where something that's really strong but being able to be pulled off by a lower level player while the counter is way harder to pull off for the same level player. The game doesn't really have any obvious things like that anymore, which I think is a good thing.

Deadman

Im only in silver so i often play bad people who dont expand ever (i actually mean ever). I usually get 2 or 3 bases in a reasonable time so i know with my huge economy advantage ive won, but it takes me ages to finish the game off, i can never seem to just go kill them. Anyone got any tips? Im zerg.

jasonng

Deadman said:
Im only in silver so i often play bad people who dont expand ever (i actually mean ever). I usually get 2 or 3 bases in a reasonable time so i know with my huge economy advantage ive won, but it takes me ages to finish the game off, i can never seem to just go kill them. Anyone got any tips? Im zerg.

Sac an overload, see what they have and respond accordingly. A lot of ground units are poor against turtling players. Personally I take advantage of the situation and practice my macro like pulling out brood lords as fast as possible and then using them. Most turtles tech straight for air so I would make tons of corrupters anyway. Again, it's about responding to what you've scouted.

Deadman said:
How is your money throughout the games? Most people in the lower rankings don't spend it fast enough, especially when they expand. Having 3000+minerals 1000gas doesn't help you when you don't spend it, hit those injects and you should be able to crush a one-base turtle.

Boken

Banned
Deadman said:
Massing a lot of upgraded mutas can smash turtles too. (I heart mutas).

Aylinato

alright, ive had some really good games today

had one 4v4 game where it was all diamond people(so much fun!)

unfortunately i lost, but the game was still determined to get me to 50/50 and i didnt get a favored game until 8 games(i think thats how many i lost)

if i woulda won the really fun one i coulda done better, i guess, i dunno

:edit: the one all diamond 4v4 was epic, had war of the worlds, full armies going at it, pushes here, drops there, blink stalker, tanks, thors, omg, everything but ravens tho lol, had some banshees, and some void rays, even DKs, it was pure epic

(._.)

Banned
Deadman said:
From one silver to another, play steady and get further ahead. If you have a better economy then use it up and make an army that you know your one base opponent can't beat. Also remember that you really have to dedicate yourself to certain pushes. Don't walk your army up his ramp and get it killed, take it slow.

Meeru

Banned
Yeah sure but..maybe tmrw evening would be the better choice ._.

We need to make a neogaf starcraft 2 league. Like what they did with gt5.

Sblargh

Banned
And I was demoted to Platinum.
So much for my period of experimentation being rewarded.
I'll go back to 4gating people now.

Feep

Banned
I'm on a six-game winning streak...the longest of my career! I even beat a Platinum player (I'm gold) who used the most terrifying unit in the game to me, Mutalisks, on SCRAP STATION, of all maps. :D

Blink Stalkers are nice and all, but I think the real key to dealing with Mutas is aggression. If you sense any number of mutas coming (or even a Spire), you need to move out and attack. If you're attacking their base, the Mutas are forced to engage, and you can beat them down. If you hang out and let 6+ Mutas scurry between your natural and main, you're fucked. Or at least I am, with my shitty micro.

Feep

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
I'll be there tonight as well, but first I WILL have my nap :>

that and archons. fierce.
Archons are nice, but Mutas come out WAY before Templar, especially considering I don't merge until 1) Storms are used or 2) Zerg gets detection

Later game, though, if they go Muta/Ling...heck yes.

Feep said:
Archons are nice, but Mutas come out WAY before Templar, especially considering I don't merge until 1) Storms are used or 2) Zerg gets detection

Later game, though, if they go Muta/Ling...heck yes.

well sure, but by applying some pressure, as you correctly said, you can definitely delay a critical mass of mutas fairly well, especially if you can damage his economy and he's forced to use larvae on drones instead of mutas.

Sblargh

Banned
I've been rage playing since being demoted. I can beat most platinums with my shitty emotion-fueled play. I forget pylons, I mess up build order, I make crappy micro and I still win against platinum people. Yet, here I am, demoted, not worthy of diamond.
Fuck, I'll take a break of this game.
Really now, I was losing a lot, but I was trying new stuff, I was refining my game, I'm at the point where I can one-gate expand against anything but all-in mass marine, where I can deal with mass banshee without a robo (HTs are the best unit in this game), all my matches are good, 2 gate + forge pressure on PvZ is good. 4 gate is the only way on PvP and I'm good at that.
if I'm playing nice, I can deal with diamond people. But I'm not, so I lost stupid games today since being demoted and I won stupid games, I'm playing stupid, I'm pissed.

I really need to take a break now.

Sblargh said:
I've been rage playing since being demoted. I can beat most platinums with my shitty emotion-fueled play. I forget pylons, I mess up build order, I make crappy micro and I still win against platinum people. Yet, here I am, demoted, not worthy of diamond.
Don't let your ranking affect you so much. Find some practice partners, play customs. Only ladder if you are well rested and up for it otherwise ^that happens.
Don't blame the game.

Nyx

mescalineeyes said:
Don't let your ranking affect you so much.

Best advice ever.

Surely it's different for everyone, but I always get the feeling that people who aim for high rankings get burned out a lot faster than people who don't.

It's a game in the end, which is supposed to be fun, right ?

*runs away from the people who will reply with ''high ranking =/= fun for me'' ;)

Sblargh

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
Don't let your ranking affect you so much. Find some practice partners, play customs. Only ladder if you are well rested and up for it otherwise ^that happens.
Don't blame the game.

I'm not that interested in ranking, I was fine being mid to low diamond. And I'm not saying the game sucks or anything like that. I'm pissed because I feel like I was punished for trying a new style.

Blind 4 gate in all matches = get into diamond.
Try to be a good player = back to platinum.

Nyx said:
Surely it's different for everyone, but I always get the feeling that people who aim for high rankings get burned out a lot faster than people who don't.

It's a game in the end, which is supposed to be fun, right ?

*runs away from the people who will reply with ''high ranking =/= fun for me'' ;)

idk, I definitely play to be high rank someday (high gold now), but as long as I am not, I'll file it under "I'm not good enough yet, time to practice some more".

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I feel like Platinum is perfect for "trying new stuf", wheareas Diamond isn't forgiving enough for that.

Sblargh said:
don't get me wrong, I totally understand where you are coming from, but you also have to understand that you TRYING to be a good player is simply not good enough for Diamond. Use Platinum League to work out the strategies you're working on and once you get promoted your build orders/strats will be solid enough for you to hold on to your diamond rank.

V_Arnold

Sblargh said:
Really now, I was losing a lot, but I was trying new stuff, I was refining my game, I'm at the point where I can one-gate expand against anything but all-in mass marine, where I can deal with mass banshee without a robo (HTs are the best unit in this game), all my matches are good, 2 gate + forge pressure on PvZ is good. 4 gate is the only way on PvP and I'm good at that.
if I'm playing nice, I can deal with diamond people. But I'm not, so I lost stupid games today since being demoted and I won stupid games, I'm playing stupid, I'm pissed.

I really need to take a break now.

You do not seem to respect your opponents, that is for sure :p
Relax, do not forget pylons, do not mess up build orders, improve your micro, and then you will be diamond again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just the thought of me going to the SC2 tournament being held near where I live makes me shiver all over my body.

I keep imagining it's going to look exactly like GSL :lol

Sblargh said:
I'm not that interested in ranking, I was fine being mid to low diamond. And I'm not saying the game sucks or anything like that. I'm pissed because I feel like I was punished for trying a new style.

That's what you get for not 4-gating Platinum scum :p

No seriously though, think of it this way: you're really still at a platinum level, and the only reason you were in Diamond was because you used a "cheap" strategy that most people can't deal with. Your general level of play isn't at diamond-level yet.

Hey GAF, does early banshee harrass work in high league play or am I just doing some bronze level shennanigans?

My build order is 2 rax, 1 factory, 1 starport. I can have 2 banshees with cloaking at the 7min mark, while still having a decent army of marines/marauders which can fend off an attack. I've only encountered maybe 2players who made a strong enough push to break into my base at that time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Early banshee harass does work in league play, but you don't want to do it blindly. You do it if your enemy is doing a macro/economy focused build.

TheExodu5 said:
Early banshee harass does work in league play, but you don't want to do it blindly. You do it if your enemy is doing a macro/economy focused build.

That can be hard to tell, for me at least, by the time I start investing in the build, shortly after my first rax. Only maybe 4 minutes into the game. At least in bronze league, 9 times out of 10 my opponent hasn't even expanded when I get over there with my banshee's at around 7:30-8 minutes in.

I scout, but that early in the game I'm not sure I'm seeing anything that screams 'macro/economy build' unless of course I see an expansion already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom