• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
That can be hard to tell, for me at least, by the time I start investing in the build, shortly after my first rax. Only maybe 4 minutes into the game. At least in bronze league, 9 times out of 10 my opponent hasn't even expanded when I get over there with my banshee's at around 7:30-8 minutes in.

I scout, but that early in the game I'm not sure I'm seeing anything that screams 'macro/economy build' unless of course I see an expansion already.

Here's an easy general rule as to whether they're going for macro or an early push:

Early gas - Macro or tech
No early gas - push

If you're playing against zerg, expect a push if he doesn't expand by 20 supply.
If you're playing against protoss, expect a push if he gets his second gateway before a cybernetics core.
If you're playing against terran, expect a push if he gets a second barracks before gas.

TheExodu5 said:
Here's an easy general rule as to whether they're going for macro or an early push:

Early gas - Macro or tech
No early gas - push

If you're playing against zerg, expect a push if he doesn't expand by 20 supply.
If you're playing against protoss, expect a push if he gets his second gateway before a cybernetics core.
If you're playing against terran, expect a push if he gets a second barracks before gas.

That is solid. Thanks.

So If my opponent is going for a strong early push, my banshee build probably won't be able to fend it off, so I should go 3 rax, or 1/1/1 with tanks.

Q8D3vil

TheRagnCajun said:
That is solid. Thanks.

So If my opponent is going for a strong early push, my banshee build probably won't be able to fend it off, so I should go 3 rax, or 1/1/1 with tanks.
3 rax but u need to make sure the choke is covered with 2 rax + supply + bunker ( or build a bunker instead of layer ) in case he want to baneling bust you.
i also suggest scanning at 27 or 30 to know ur opponent tech.

Ok so I finally got this game, my friend decided to quit and gave me his account. I didn't play sc1 online so I'm pretty damn new to this but I wanna get seriously good at it. I played some sp just to get a feel for stuff then went online to a 1v1... I go destroyed within minutes and the guy asked me if I was drunk, :lol

Anyways he said he thought he was going to get raped because of my rank and something about diamond league or whatever. So.. yeah any tips on what faction and gameplay tips would be so great... Also is there a way to reset rank\league besides losing a ton ? ;(

Q8D3vil

BloodElfHunter said:
Ok so I finally got this game, my friend decided to quit and gave me his account. I didn't play sc1 online so I'm pretty damn new to this but I wanna get seriously good at it. I played some sp just to get a feel for stuff then went online to a 1v1... I go destroyed within minutes and the guy asked me if I was drunk, :lol

Anyways he said he thought he was going to get raped because of my rank and something about diamond league or whatever. So.. yeah any tips on what faction and gameplay tips would be so great... Also is there a way to reset rank\league besides losing a ton ? ;(
dunno if there is a way to reset the rank beside losing ton of games but there is going to be a ladder reset once when they add the new pro league.

BloodElfHunter said:

Nope, you're just going to have to keep losing badly. I find it kind of fun, sometimes.

Though just because your friend is in diamond league doesn't mean you're exclusively playing diamond players. For example, if you lose five times in a row, you're likely to be matched with a terrible bronze player so the ranking system can figure you out better.

FoxSpirit

TheRagnCajun said:
That is solid. Thanks.

Ahem, I will give the odd advice.
You are in bronze. Whatever you see in bronze can mean jack squat because many people have no plan. They may get 2 warpgates then a cycore, get some units and then expand. They could go for a plan and then completely abandon it.
I may be mistaken, maybe bronze has seriously leveled up but back then, it was so random (and me too).
And 1/1/1 is always great when you do it properly. Vs Terran it's often walloff at the lower levels, abuse that with early pressure (he can't shoot back behind a lowered supply depot). Vs Zerg simply do strong timing pushes, this takes sooo long to get down to defend against as Zerg, you'll be already out of bronze by then.
Vs Toss I don't have any specifics though maybe somebody else can help you out there.

Also, maybe post a replay where you thought you played well and one which feels like a stupid loss? Advice from that can also help.
Or self casting. Watch your own replay and pretend you do a Day[9] daily and talk yourself through it. Fun and teaches a lot :D

FoxSpirit

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Nope, you're just going to have to keep losing badly. I find it kind of fun, sometimes.

Though just because your friend is in diamond league doesn't mean you're exclusively playing diamond players. For example, if you lose five times in a row, you're likely to be matched with a terrible bronze player so the ranking system can figure you out better.

I'd wish there was an option for "please kill be badly" matches. Sometimes I don't wanna bother with the stress of eventually winning, just bash my head in in an educational and fast way, thanks. Seriously, so much stress from the feeling you COULD win that. :lol

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

Just keep drone rushing your way to bronze league!

FoxSpirit said:
Ahem, I will give the odd advice.
You are in bronze. Whatever you see in bronze can mean jack squat because many people have no plan. They may get 2 warpgates then a cycore, get some units and then expand. They could go for a plan and then completely abandon it.
I may be mistaken, maybe bronze has seriously leveled up but back then, it was so random (and me too).
And 1/1/1 is always great when you do it properly. Vs Terran it's often walloff at the lower levels, abuse that with early pressure (he can't shoot back behind a lowered supply depot). Vs Zerg simply do strong timing pushes, this takes sooo long to get down to defend against as Zerg, you'll be already out of bronze by then.
Vs Toss I don't have any specifics though maybe somebody else can help you out there.

Also, maybe post a replay where you thought you played well and one which feels like a stupid loss? Advice from that can also help.
Or self casting. Watch your own replay and pretend you do a Day[9] daily and talk yourself through it. Fun and teaches a lot

Thanks for the advice. I know bronze league is dumb. I've only been playing a couple weeks yet I'm winning 80% of my matches recently. Occasionally there is an opponent with a respectable build order and strat, the top guy in bronze league has played something like 600 1v1 matches though so he must have some clue.

I was mostly curious if I should keep refining my banshee rush build or abandon it because its just silly bronze tactics. Seems like most terrans go for a basic m&m ball or go mech with early tanks. It sounds like early scouting really determines if I can afford to go for any early harrassment strat. The Exodus laid it out pretty nice for me.

I feel like I need to spend some time just getting as fast as I can at different build orders, and then after that learn how to be flexible and change your plan based on scouting.

Come to think of it, it would be pretty easy to switch from my banshee rush 2 rax, 1 factory, 1 stargate build to a 1/1/1 build. Just put the techlab on the factory instead of the stargate. Could probably get 2-3 tanks with seige out by an equivalent time (7 minutes).

Deadman

Just had a fun tvz on metalopolis, it was mostly fun because of what he said at the end of the game :lol

I dont speak french so i had to translate, but everything was in caps so i knew he was mad

original

cest pe te les zergs stop cheat

ta guele fais pas genre tu comprends pas

sale connard

google translation:

cest pe you stop the Zerg cheat

shut up not your type you do not understand

dirty bastard

in between the first and second line i said "what" because i didnt understand him.

So what was i doing to be a dirty bastard? I was 3 base vs 1 base and correctly decided that he was going 2 port banshee, so when he rolled in with 5 cloaked banshees and i had 10 hydras with an overseer he went mental :lol Then i just walked in with about 30 roaches and won.

YakiSOBA

So pissed... I just went 1v1 platinum Terran (me) vs toss... the guy was highly favoured!

I scout and see early gas, no cybernetics, 1 gateway and forge.. so assume he’s going VR. I go 3rax and go for a timed push, and it works out... he’s only got like 2 VR’s out.. he defends first push, I send in the 2nd wave to finish him off..

Then I get dropped.

DAMN ITTTTT coulda used those massive points 

Yoshichan said:
I love whoever loves Hydras <3

Seems like I get owned whenever I build Hyras. They're often a waste of minerals early, when you could get getting map control with Mutas, expanding, then getting more Roaches when you're Terran opponent starts going Mech

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
Seems like I get owned whenever I build Hyras. They're often a waste of minerals early, when you could get getting map control with Mutas, expanding, then getting more Roaches when you're Terran opponent starts going Mech
they are pretty strong versus toss though.
imo, hydra/roach/corruptor builds versus toss are probably the strongest 'i dont want to die' builds zerg has atm.

PhoenixDark said:
They're actually wonderful if you can tech trap them into going all air. Do exactly what you stated with harassing mutas for map control, but once you notice them going all vikings/phoenixes/corruptors to counter, do the Zerg Fast Tech Switch (TM) to mass hydras and win. I just did it last night, it was a blowout victory.

V_Arnold

valenti said:
Times has changed panda, more zergs than terran now in gsl 3

But if we go on that route, Protoss needs a HUUUUGE buff. Something a lot of folks deny over the GSL thread, saying that is not a good enough sized sample!!!!!44

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valenti said:
Times has changed panda, more zergs than terran now in gsl 3
by 3ish! even footing is still no reason to complain!

as for the brotoss, they have my sympathies.

protoss need a defensive buff that they cant turn into offense. thats the problem. >_>

they need to be able to block stim pushes without dumping infinite gas into sentries and recasting every 15 seconds, but you cant give them anything huge or it would break pvz. must be tough to work on the balance team.

V_Arnold

Pandaman said:
by 3ish! even footing is still no reason to complain!

as for the brotoss, they have my sympathies.

protoss need a defensive buff that they cant turn into offense. thats the problem. >_>

they need to be able to block stim pushes without dumping infinite gas into sentries and recasting every 15 seconds, but you cant give them anything huge or it would break pvz. must be tough to work on the balance team.

I still think that due to this, the Ghost's EMP is a huge joke.

Pandaman said:
they are pretty strong versus toss though.
imo, hydra/roach/corruptor builds versus toss are probably the strongest 'i dont want to die' builds zerg has atm.

Seems like when I get Hydras against Toss, Colosus are on the map fast enough to counter them before I can respond with Corrupters. I need to work on the scouting more.

I've been getting by against toss with ling/roach/muta leading to ultras

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:
Seems like when I get Hydras against Toss, Colosus are on the map fast enough to counter them before I can respond with Corrupters. I need to work on the scouting more.

I've been getting by against toss with ling/roach/muta leading to ultras
lately i tend to die before the ultralisks show up, so i've been experimenting with hydra. i dont even scout for the colls, i just get panic corruptors anyway. :lol

I'll have to experiment with them against toss. Typically I'll only make them when I'm getting harassed by air and don't have time for a spire/mutas. Especially against say Phoenixes.

Ashhong

so uh, really quick. as a zerg, whats the best counter for stalkers? something obtainable midgame, roach/hydra? mutaling?

and as terran, best counter for thors? would it be siege+marauders or more thors?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ashhong said:
so uh, really quick. as a zerg, whats the best counter for stalkers? something obtainable midgame, roach/hydra? mutaling?
Speedlings eat the crap out of Stalkers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ashhong said:
This is what I figured, but stalkers travel in big balls and it seems like my lings die pretty quickly. Maybe I just need more...
Don't forget that stalkers cost 125 minerals and 50 gas... economywise, you should be having 6 zerglings (150 minerals cost) against the stalker, which is more than enough! :D

edit: but yeah, if someone does mass stalkers, Hydras (+1 range) and speedlings will slaughter them!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:

and as terran, best counter for thors? would it be siege+marauders or more thors?
Speedlings for everything.
IF you are losing you don't have enough speedlings.

Except blue hellions and 2 lines of tanks with marines. But then you run muta/baneling/ling, the marines run away from banelings, mutas kill tanks, Zerg auto win.

Meeru

Banned
Untitled-4.png

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
NA
Corran Horn - Corran.456
valenti - Meeru.240
Aylinato - Aylinato.421
Vaporak - Vaporak.756
MrMister - MrMister.430
DaFish - DaFish.574
Pandaman - panda.214
greenry - GreenGenes.945
ultron87 - ultron.242
pieatorium - pieman.380

EU
Stevie Gerrard - Malcolm.533
Q8D3vil - devil.691

Quote/Post/Add if you want to be on list.

mr stroke

Yoshichan said:
Speedlings eat the crap out of Stalkers.

what do I use against Stalkers if I am Terran?

nothing ever seems to work against those bastards when I am Terran. If someone has mass Stalkers I can never seem to take them down. Had an assload of Battlecruisers and Thors and I still got torched :(

Yoshichan

mr stroke said:
what do I use against Stalkers if I am Terran?
Marauders!!! And for even more overkill, stimpack'd marauders.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Corran Horn said:
NA
Corran Horn - Corran.456
valenti - Meeru.240
Aylinato - Aylinato.421
Vaporak - Vaporak.756
MrMister - MrMister.430
DaFish - DaFish.574
Pandaman - panda.214
greenry - GreenGenes.945
ultron87 - ultron.242
pieatorium - pieman.380
Trin3785 - Trin.525

EU
Stevie Gerrard - Malcolm.533
Q8D3vil - devil.691

Quote/Post/Add if you want to be on list.

I just wanna spectate really, im silver so im not sure I wanna lose all night haha!

LakeEarth

Ashhong said:
This is what I figured, but stalkers travel in big balls and it seems like my lings die pretty quickly. Maybe I just need more...
You need enough speedlings to surround the ball, then some ranged unit outside of that ball. Since the speedlings would be the ones getting hit, the ranged units won't get touched at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom