• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

FunkMiller

Well shit, this feels like it might be a deliberate 40k reference, so I'm happy.

muEYVUt.jpg

T-Cake

Seems like I'm just playing the main missions and that's it. This game isn't really doing anything for me. I've no desire to know about outposts, ships, weapon mods or anything. I'll just make do with whatever I find on dead bodies or is given to me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
A lot of people recommend weight training except that weirdo MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh :messenger_sunglasses:. It helps increase your encumbrance and just gives you a little leeway on planning your trips back to sell things. Yes, it doesn't change the game but I find it makes it smoother and more enjoyable. If you do want to level that up, it's worth it loading up your weight and flying to a low gravity planet like Mars and doing sprints for 45 min while a podcast is on. You'll be able to run much, much farther at low gravity and level it up faster.

Crafting is a lot more important in this game than you would first think. Makes sense as we're not really super heroes in this game, but scientists collecting raw materials all the time.

I had a hard time leveling up stealth at first. I recommend going to a forest / jungle planet with animal life and doing sneak attacks on them over and over to level up very quickly.
That perk is mostly useful if you walk with 12 different weapons and a couple of armours alternatives like me, if you use 2-3 weapons you always have 100ks of spare weight to use without any perk.

Midget refresh only use 3 guns so it doesn't need it.

Last edited:

Kirkio

Anyone know how it runs on xcloud? I nearly caved and re bought a series X but I've held firm so far. Going to give it a try when the house is empty this weekend

mortal

Banned
So does anyone know if you can join multiple factions?
I believe so.

Thank you for reminding me btw, I knew the OT was missing some information. I'll be updating the OPs with a proper section.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Neon City is awesome, meanwhile Akila City was disappointing.

I found smaller "cities" that were more interesting than Akila.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Midgetrefresh only use 3 guns so it doesn't need it.

I use 3-4 at the time. The rest is back in my ship. I just got this one sick laser pew pew gun that looks like somethings straight from the Aliens. Legendary variant, too. And yeah, you can slap a silencer on that bad boy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I use 3-4 at the time. The rest is back in my ship. I just got this one sick laser pew pew gun that looks like somethings straight from the Aliens. Legendary variant, too. And yeah, you can slap a silencer on that bad boy.
I found what it looks like a shotgun that shot missiles and kinda break the game...it has a specific name, something like banisher of asha or some shit (blue rarity weapon)

I'm forcing myself to not use it to have some challenge but bethesda really didn't balanced this thing at all because the ammo are not rare and i didn't bought ammo a single time yet, just scavenging...

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wanted to talk about a very cool and unexpected thing that happened to me, seemingly at random.

SPOILERS for early Main Quest, if you haven't played up to and past the 7th main mission, don't click this!

So after meeting that Starborn ship who accosts you after leaving Neon (I think it was), where they demand you hand over the artifact you just recovered, I of course ran off lol. Anyway, I didn't do any more MQ after that for a while, and just did some other Faction stuff. A few hours into that, I was on some random planet for some reason or other, and a fucking Starborn ship went roaring over my head and landed in the distance!! I was like, whoa! Blown away. I started treking out there to it, which took a while.

As I got close, about 7 or 8 humanoid beings teleported (complete with teleportation effects), onto the planet surface directly under their ship. They began walking in formation, all of them holding guns, away from the ship. When they got far enough away, I went over to the ship, and climbed all over that thing! It was super cool. I found a door, or at least it looked like a door, to enter the ship, but it was "inaccessible".

Anyway, just thought that was sweet and wanted to talk about it, for those that have made it that far.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah I dig it too. Very Firefly-ish and a perfect spot to stock up on stuff. The general, gun and mineral shop are on the same strip basically one after another

How'd you get the shack?
I spoke to a dude there, he had a couple for sale. let me google it.

"Ngodup Tate, who can be found standing outside the Core Manor. The Manor is located to the rear of the rock past Midtown Minerals and the Freestar Collective Consulate, then past the Lance Estate and up the stairs. The home is identifiable by its low-walled garden and stands opposite the canvas-shrouded ruins to the rear of The Rock on the Northern side of town."

There you go. Although i know you can buy houses in quite a few cities. Should you want to.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
What do you think about the trait that you meet your parents but have to pay 2% of your money the whole game?
On the one hand it seems like a quest or at least some nice NPCs addition, on the other hand.. isn't it too risky to pay 2% of your income for that?

Ovech-King

For the limited testing i did in new atlantis on pc , i would imagine that the fps can be fixed with a later patch. Not only because its the only place in the game literally that the fps goes below 60 fps drastically all of the sudden but also i noticed that if you run straight in new atlantis, shit only starts to hit the fan when you also move the camera . All this to say there is optimization hope for this to be fixed 👍

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

LOL this guy figured out how to make an almost invincible ship.

Basically the enemy ships always target the geometric center of your ship. Dude made an L-shaped ship so the center is empty space, so enemies can’t hit his ship as long as he faces them head on. (Only stray shots hit, the “on target” ones pass right through.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

LOL this guy figured out how to make an almost invincible ship.

Basically the enemy ships always target the geometric center of your ship. Dude made an L-shaped ship so the center is empty space, so enemies can’t hit his ship as long as he faces them head on. (Only stray shots hit, the “on target” ones pass right through.

It just works. Love it. I will build my own ship from scratch tonight. I will start with small ass ship and expand in the future. That’s the plan.

Desless1

Yeah I dig it too. Very Firefly-ish and a perfect spot to stock up on stuff. The general, gun and mineral shop are on the same strip basically one after another

How'd you get the shack?
Love Akila. I need to find some Malcom alike clothing next time I'm there.

But man did I have to search for the door leading outside the walls.

Fess

Started writing in that slow start trainwreck thread, can post my thoughts here instead.

My playtime and ever evolving score:
🤓
Zr5Ojee.jpg

I would say that it’s been a bit of a roller coaster. I thought I would get a AAA No Man’s Sky RPG, and I was super hyped, and I didn’t get that. So my initial impression was lower than I hoped for.

But the game just kept on growing on me, fast, and has evolved in other ways I never anticipated. Today I would say that it’s closer to Mass Effect than No Man’s Sky, but it does so much more than ME ever did.

Side note, it’s a Bethesda game so most already know this. I strongly recommend to not rush it. There was some talk about how the game starts after the main quest in the Premium thread, I haven’t finished it yet but some side quests has seriously wowed me more than the main quests. There are quests that really had no business being as good as they were, small unimportant quests crafted to perfection and really cool.

It’s not at the level of TOTK for me, not yet, but at 48 hours I’d rate it 9.2/10. Not perfect but I absolutely love it.

Playing on PC btw.

I’ve been soaking in the lore with this game and enjoying it. The Xenowarfare history lesson where they explain how the UC and FC fought using mechs vs weaponized, lab grown, super predator aliens is really interesting stuff.

That one planet being used as a testing grounds for the weaponized aliens and then a literal ‘Starship troopers’ moment happening due to it. Also the fallout of what happened to the pioneers of both technologies after the war ended is tragic to learn too.

Top Bottom