• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
ALERT! Do not let your hype run away with you! Keep your perspective and patience. Go in with an open mind. It sounds like you will enjoy it but it's a feature of gamers like us that we build things up beyond what they can reasonably be.
For sure. I don't really have that problem very often honestly, but a lot people definitely ruin things for themselves. I'm not worried. I already visited Neon briefly and it looks awesome. I don't even want to start it in full until I get some other stuff cleared up. But my background is Neon Street Rat so I'm excited to dig in eventually.

I did not mind the get up and sit down animations in the cockpit until I accidentally held my finger on E during space combat...

NfMd4dE.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
This combat is already starting to get dull when playing as a standard gun user. Enemy AI is awful and there's not enough enemy variety.

Mostly concentrating on doing activies and avoiding combat via persuasion when possible. Some really great quests in this game.

This combat is already starting to get dull when playing as a standard gun user. Enemy AI is awful and there's not enough enemy variety.

Mostly concentrating on doing activies and avoiding combat via persuasion when possible. Some really great quests in this game.
Turn up the difficulty. I’ve been playing on very hard. They have balanced it properly this time around and it actually provides a challenge and not just enemy sponges everywhere.

Whatever iD helped them with, the combat feels really good and tense on very hard.

tronied

I've now put a few hours in and loving it so far. Getting classic Bethesda vibes playing through the abandoned base at the beginning. Weapons feel good to fire and spending that extra time to search the nooks and crannies can be quite rewarding.

I can see myself putting a lot of hours into this game and I've not even got to the first city yet :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I know... I know, early days to be making assumptions, but can't wait to dive in more (when I get time).

DeaDPo0L84

Which is weird because some people feel this game has an inverse honeymoon period

A golden year period?
I've actually never had one. I see lots of threads from people that get swept up in the narrative and then find out later what they actually think.

I have always been able to know what I actually think though, even if its counter to intense peer pressure.
Different people have different opinions and may come to that opinion at different points. But generally things are simply more exciting in the early stages, from videogames to a new job to marriage, etc.

Personally early on I knew I'd like it and my opinion has only grown more positive the more I play, but annoyances I had early on are persistent throughout unfortunately.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Turn up the difficulty. I’ve been playing on very hard. They have balanced it properly this time around and it actually provides a challenge and not just enemy sponges everywhere.

Whatever iD helped them with, the combat feels really good and tense on very hard.
Turning up the difficulty doesn't make the enemies have more variety or have more tactics against you.

The game is missing more interesting weapon types and effects. Plus with the horrible AI, half the time they just stand there taking headshots.

Fess

How are people making claims like this with such limited playing time?
He’s been playing it since the early access, has said he don’t think any other game has made him play as many hours in as short time, probably have more playtime at this point than some other game’s entire playthrough.
It’s steadily been climbing my list too, it’s a grower for sure, everybody I talk to go through the same phases, middle to good start and then it just keeps on getting better.

peish

trying to play in TP mode with 100 fov ini, but the mouse is soooo sluggish.

Is there a mod to make TP mode as snappy as FP mode?

Turning up the difficulty doesn't make the enemies have more variety or have more tactics against you.
It does. Here’s the issue:

On normal you’re blasting through enemies at record pace. On very hard, they will do almost as much damage as you, causing you to play more defensively. When this happens, they will do multi-tiered flanks(one guy going around from behind to stab you, another entering from a side door to shoot), provide their teammates cover to flank by shooting a full magazine at you, use grenades, use smoke-style grenades, use jump jets to get to higher spots to snipe, escape and regroup, etc.

All of these things has happened in my playthrough and some of it genuinely took me by surprise, in a good way.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It does. Here’s the issue:

On normal you’re blasting through enemies at record pace. On very hard, they will do almost as much damage as you, causing you to play more defensively. When this happens, they will do multi-tiered flanks(one guy going around from behind to stab you, another entering from a side door to shoot), provide their teammates cover to flank by shooting a full magazine at you, use grenades, use smoke-style grenades, use jump jets to get to higher spots to snipe, escape and regroup, etc.

All of these things has happened in my playthrough and some of it genuinely took me by surprise, in a good way.
Yeah, I'm not getting anything different on higher difficulties other than the obvious higher level enemies and them doing more damage.

They will take shot after shot and stay behind cover and occasionally pop up to spray at you or to run over to different cover or simply stand there in the open. Melee enemies will almost always attempt to rush right at you and if you aren't in an easy pathing location, then they often break and stand there.

I'll just be standing behind a waist high wall taking shots waiting for any of the dozen or so enemies to do anything other than the most basic things mentioned.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fun random encounter:

Jumped into a random system, encountered a Spacer and got ready for a fight. Before I started firing, the ship hailed me. The guy on the comms recognized the Mantis ship, begged me not to kill him and gave me a couple of thousands credit. I shook him down for a few hundred more.

It's good to be a notorious space pirate.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Starting the Mantis quest line now. On my way to the first location, I got a few more quests to pop up too.

Trippy

Early UC Vanguard anecdote:

I really wish when you have to respond to taking the Vanguard oath that the writers had made the funny dialog response be “I am the shield that guards the realms of men”

geary

How are the faction sidequest. In the Starfield direct, they said that if you alliance with one faction and another one finds out, you wont get quest from them...is that true?

Top Bottom