• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

DeaDPo0L84

Why do I feel like I owe those who don’t play the game an apology?
Honestly this sounds more like a personal problem then those who might be trolling a thread. Just ignore them, or literally block them. It's a videogame, play it if you enjoy it, don't if you don't, it's honestly that simple.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Considering the massive development time this game seems a little sparse in some areas. No descriptions on weapons, no database, not much depth to the outposts or much reason to build them at all. Still enjoying it but expected something a lot more complex
I wouldn't mind more flavor text on items and menus.

I still need to fully dig into outposts.

Yeah, this game is starting to cook for me now. Went on a great side quest from a note found on a spacer, and ended up with two great suits and a much better ship, then did the first vanguard quest line with the tyrannid - sorry, terramorph.
One of my gripes with this game is that I am not keen on the alien designs. I don't like their color pallets and they all seem to have 1 or 2 basic attacks.

Terramorphs just seen kind of stereotypical as far as an alien design goes imo.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Love the lighting in this game. Especially in the ship it looks really great.
Photo-2023-09-06-124305.png

Something that would be great is if you could play some of the games with your companions/crew like darts, ping-pong, and the board games I can't quite recall their names. That would be so chill.

Punished Miku

Love the lighting in this game. Especially in the ship it looks really great.
Photo-2023-09-06-124305.png

Something that would be great is if you could play some of the games with your companions/crew like darts, ping-pong, and the board games I can't quite recall their names. That would be so chill.
I'd love a small mini-game like that as well. I get really into the roleplaying aspects and end up feeling like I live in that world. Would be fun to have arcade machines with some old games or darts like you said.

Freeman76

I wouldn't mind more flavor text on items and menus.

I still need to fully dig into outposts.
The menua in general are really low effort, I mean its not a big deal but they are so 'plain' it must have been a design choice. I think my expectations for the game were too high, I imagined it to be the deepest game Bethesda have done with many interlocking systems but it really isnt that, they seem to have gone with an emphasis on a deeper roleplaying angle with simpler mechanics.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'd love a small mini-game like that as well. I get really into the roleplaying aspects and end up feeling like I live in that world. Would be fun to have arcade machines with some old games or darts like you said.
The dart board is right in the crew quarters, and I've seen bigger ones that have the digital score tracker in enemy compounds. Just being able to chill out and play with the crew would increase the immersion factor a lot.

Punished Miku

The menua in general are really low effort, I mean its not a big deal but they are so 'plain' it must have been a design choice. I think my expectations for the game were too high, I imagined it to be the deepest game Bethesda have done with many interlocking systems but it really isnt that, they seem to have gone with an emphasis on a deeper roleplaying angle with simpler mechanics.
I came around to really like that starting menu's simplicity, with the 4 quadrants, or Y for status, or the missions tab hidden underneath your character. Some of the other pages could be improved though.

The missions tab is actually very clean and simple and easy to navigate too. The icons for the factions on the missions make it very easy to find what you want.

Last edited:

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
After selecting my background, somehow, I never got to the Traits field and I started with 0 Traits, can I somehow go back and edit it?

saintjules

Gold Member
You are somewhere between stage 2 and 3 of the process.. give it a few more sessions lol

How's the cloud version? I haven't tried it yet

Should have fired off on all cylinders. For it to take up to 10-12 hours just for it to get good, isn't a good thing.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ok I'm out. Few campaign missions in and I honestly feel like I hate just about everything about it this is totally not for me. I do see how people might enjoy this and I'm happy for you if you do. Have fun!

Last edited:

Fess

As said before I never got any achievements unlocked on Steam. Luckily I’m an expert at saving 10 thousand times manually so I’ve been able to go through old saves and unlock many on my own now. Oddly enough it added reach level 5 and 10 achievements at once at level 23 but didn’t add the main quests between the starter one and like 10 main quests later even though you have to do them in order. They should patch that in.

T-Cake

I’ve got dozens of them from just scavenging. Look around. There’s probably one in a container or on a shelf.

They're sold in virtually every store. Dirt cheap. Also laying around in basically any outpost. Every single store I visit I just buy their whole inventory which is usually like 100 credits total.

When you're searching outposts, keep your scanner on. They're small and easy to miss in the dark without the blue outline.

Most shops should have at least a few. Jemison Mercantile should have some if your still in New Atlantis.

I have had a few in the past from scavenging but they're all used up. Now I'm on Neon and the general store (James Willits or something) has absolutely none at all. Fucking typical.

bender

What time is it?
Delivered my first Elder Scroll Artifact to Constellation.

+Loot seems diverse. Got a Corrosive Maelstrom and another with a Reflex Scope and bunch of other modified weapons as well as a helmet that makes me invisible if I'm crouching.
-Enemy AI seems poor.
-Gun play is floaty and most of the guns don't seem to pack a punch (no shotguns yet though)
-Your avatar animations are so bad (never change Bethesda, never change).

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just need to know something from people who finished the game or are way further in the campaign.

I'm close to the end if i just discovered my first alien power in the temple? just yes or no.

Topher

Gold Member
Definitely something that needs another pass.

Like as far as I know when buying ammo, there's no way to check how many your holding already and what guns each type fit. That is without backing out and inspecting each gun.

Unless someone tells me how and blows my mind.

The StarUI Inventory mod makes this a little easier. It still doesn't show you how much ammo you have on hand, but if you change over from Buy to Sell you will see how much you have there. A little easier than having to go all the way out of the transaction screens and back in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just ran into a clone of Franklin D. Roosevolt in a random planet.

edit: he asked me to meet a clone of genghis khan.

Space is fun.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Fuck yes, I finally managed to disable engines of enemy ship and now I'm about to board it. It's a struggle because my ship is so OP it destroys everything before I can disable engines...
Yeah, my ship is in a similar boat, with lasers and missiles where it just melts so fast that you blink and they’re done, but I have a set of EM suppression weapons specifically for taking out systems to board using the system targeting perk.

You really only need a shield take down and hull ripper for the first two weapon systems, so EM as the third is really the best option (at least when you start getting beast-mode ships).

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So I had an hour to kill. I quick resumed the game, went to a science facility on the moon. Killed a ton of pirates, looted the place clean, left the area, was ambushed by people trying to get me for a bounty (Wanted trait), dispatched of them, boarded their ship, and saved my game in space.

Side note, has anyone actually found a planet without something/someone to kill? While there are planets with no wildlife, there are always a bunch of structures with enemies of some type, or npc’s with side quests or merchants.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Side note, has anyone actually found a planet without something/someone to kill? While there are planets with no wildlife, there are always a bunch of structures with enemies of some type, or npc’s with side quests or merchants.

Yes, I wanted to complain about it yesterday but then I had a thought... I went to a distant solar system, far away from the settled area and guess what? Yeah, it's possible to find a planet that you probably the first human to ever land on.

dorkimoe

Landed on a planet to survey and man not having vehicles to travel is a mistake…
Anywho, where do I sell shit too? The bartender only bought food

Robb

Gold Member
Anyone else annoyed by the auto save? Got the Mantis Quest, died a fair bit though the lair and got respawned outside again so now I have to start over.. Ugh, I’ll just quit for now.

Punished Miku

Landed on a planet to survey and man not having vehicles to travel is a mistake…
Anywho, where do I sell shit too? The bartender only bought food
New Atlantis?

Tons of shops. Easiest is a dull yellow kiosk at the spaceport right next to your ship. You'll find tons of stores.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've been to like 6 little outposts in which the "main" NPC says there's a mission board. I proceed to look for this for 10 minutes without finding one.

I've found the ones in larger settlements/cities/ports, but I don't know what the fuck is going on here and it's annoying me to no end. Are there actually mission boards in these small outposts?!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes, I wanted to complain about it yesterday but then I had a thought... I went to a distant solar system, far away from the settled area and guess what? Yeah, it's possible to find a planet that you probably the first human to ever land on.
That’s a cool thought. I look forward to that day. I love role playing in this game. I’m 100% sucked in.

Was chatting with someone at work and we both agreed that this was clunky, ugly and dated with poor performance and also that it was one of the best games either of us had played in like a decade. We then spent ages comparing notes like kids in the school yard- Have you been to this planet? Have seen this? Have you done this mission? etc etc

Not sure how Bethesda manage to shit out magical turds but they have a knack for it.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Fellow miner asks me what do I mine and one of the many options I can pick from is:

Nunya. As in, "none o' ya" business.

Who wrote this?

My favourite is when my in-game father gives me an antique gun, and one of the options is:

’I’ll think of you the next time I shoot somebody’.

It’s the exact same type of dark humour me and my real father hurl at each other all the time, I love it.

Stuart360

30 hours in now, 25 of those hours just exploring random planets lol.

'There is nothing on these planets lolz', no siree. If anything i'd say there is too much to do on some of them. I have had 3 planets where it took me 2 hours on each to see everything and clear the objectives lol. Its worth doing too, i have over 150k now just from picking up crap and selling it, and thats not including all the top gear i have found, including legendary items.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FYI there is a very good / big side quest called Operation Starseed but it is potentially bugged right now.

I want to be as vague as possible because the quest is fantastic and I don't want to spoil any scenarios for anyone

near the end of the quest you are given the choice to negotiate with 2 leaders from opposing factions, you will need to fight at least one or both depending on how good your persuasion skills are.

The only way to avoid this bug is by killing *ONLY* the leader, not any of his followers, killing any followers will turn every one hostile, even the people who are on your side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom