• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

saintjules

Gold Member
I know, they will miss out on a lot of people playing the game for this very reason.

X8byNjd.jpg

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Here to confess my Starfield sins. Not proud of what I’ve done. Without spoilers I decided to be an asshole because the nice guy route was too much work. There’s a lot of blood on my hands. I pray to the stars for forgiveness.

The amount of content in this game is staggering. Definitely something I’ll be playing for a very long time.

Contemplating starting again with a different character despite being nowhere near finished... wish I had put more thought into mine but I was to excited to get started lol.

midnightAI

Ok I'm out. Few campaign missions in and I honestly feel like I hate just about everything about it this is totally not for me. I do see how people might enjoy this and I'm happy for you if you do. Have fun!
I think I may be the same, but I will give it more time but currently I'm totally bored playing it. The enemy AI is stupid dumb (and the guns so far feel bad (Destiny ruined other games gunplay for me though so probably a me thing) but I'm sure that will improve as I get better weapons later in the game) the loading is really annoying, I hate the ship controls, had enemies glitch through walls a few times in the opening mission (not seen it again since though) and one of my personal annoyances... following an NPC and you can either walk too slow or too fast, never at the speed of the NPC. It's just not clicking... yet.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm bored at work so making a post about things that I think would really elevate the game:
-AI, like just add any at all.
-Ability to seamlessly fly/land on a planet when you're already in the same system. Not saying full space exploration, I wouldn't even mess with that anyways.
-Seamlessly enter/exit buildings when in a town. Witcher 3 does this, you can even see the people inside the shops or whatever and it really adds to the immersion.
-Ability to exit/enter ship seamlessly when landed. It would again really add to the immersion.
-A better more organic interaction system. It's so odd talking to someone, but then your companion wants to chime in so now it's just them on the screen, but then the original person you were talking to doesn't even acknowledge it and goes right back to talking to you. I mean if a space bug can interfere with me talking to a NPC and even murder them surely they can squeeze an extra character into the mix so I can actually see all the active participants.
-Better variety of random landmarks on planets. Of course it all feels very fresh when you first start but then you begin to realize planets tend to have the same copy/paste formula. It starts to make me not even want to hop my ass over to any of them cause I feel I already know what to expect.
-A land vehicle of ANY kind to get around a little quicker. Something like the sparrow from Destiny would be perfect.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The procedural stuff is pretty bad. Too much copy and pasted elements that are exactly the same layout.

At this point I'm sticking to quests and activities only. They lead me all over and offer at least something different each time.

Yeah.....it isn't great, but thankfully they didn't depend on that for content. It does work well for finding a place to put down an outpost for resource farming and such.

Topher

Gold Member
Geez.....there are no short quests in this game. I was figuring some of these random quests that pop up while walking through an area and you overhear a conversation would quick, but they are all so involved. I don't think I've come across a single fetch quest yet.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Damn, UC Vanguard quest line has been awesome so far, pretty sure I’m on the last mission. Feels like an 80s action sci-fi movie and has tons of connections to the overall plot and lore.

If the other factions are similar quality I think this is going to be my GOTY and my top Bethesda game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The procedural stuff is pretty bad. Too much copy and pasted elements that are exactly the same layout.

At this point I'm sticking to quests and activities only. They lead me all over and offer at least something different each time.

Outpost / factories / you name it could use more variety. You will see the same research lab or abandoned mine over and over again. I don't mind seeing the same style but THE SAME EXACT layout is just stupid.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Geez.....there are no short quests in this game. I was figuring some of these random quests that pop up while walking through an area and you overhear a conversation would quick, but they are all so involved. I don't think I've come across a single fetch quest yet.
Activities are short, not quests.

Want something short to do, look at one of the mission boards or bounty boards.

When going after a guy in a ship, you can get paid for destroying their starship, that kills them as well. Or you can board them, kill them while onboard, take their shit and ship. Kind of like a bounty bonus.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Hmm, game really does pick up steam as you go.
I joked about this with other games, how a game needs to grab you immediately. Starfield really is something different. You can play 15 hours and not have touched some of the games major features yet. I’m 50+ hours in and I haven’t even touched on outpost building yet.

Starfield gives you so much, but you got to give it some time to open up to you.

Topher

Gold Member
Activities are short, not quests.

Want something short to do, look at one of the mission boards or bounty boards.

When going after a guy in a ship, you can get paid for destroying their starship, that kills them as well. Or you can board them, kill them while onboard, take their shit and ship. Kind of like a bounty bonus.

Sure....I'll pick up some bounties from mission boards if I want a quick thing to do and make some cash. Activities can be the same but often times they are just a starting point for another quest. I just did two activities on Mars that spawn off full quests.

RaptorGTA

I think I may be the same, but I will give it more time but currently I'm totally bored playing it. The enemy AI is stupid dumb (and the guns so far feel bad (Destiny ruined other games gunplay for me though so probably a me thing) but I'm sure that will improve as I get better weapons later in the game) the loading is really annoying, I hate the ship controls, had enemies glitch through walls a few times in the opening mission (not seen it again since though) and one of my personal annoyances... following an NPC and you can either walk too slow or too fast, never at the speed of the NPC. It's just not clicking... yet
I got early access and honestly was hating it. It just wasn't clicking. Idk what happened. I think my experience with No Man Sky, Elite Dangerous, Destiny, and Star Citizen had me look at the game from the wrong side.

I did have a moment last night when I got in my ship expecting to take and fly further down range of the map only for the cut scene to take me to orbit. That took me out a little but yea, I've been enjoying it recently.

I've only had the one bug with the steam deck and volume control mess with me. Nothing else tho

I'm bored at work so making a post about things that I think would really elevate the game:
-AI, like just add any at all.
-Ability to seamlessly fly/land on a planet when you're already in the same system. Not saying full space exploration, I wouldn't even mess with that anyways.
-Seamlessly enter/exit buildings when in a town. Witcher 3 does this, you can even see the people inside the shops or whatever and it really adds to the immersion.
-Ability to exit/enter ship seamlessly when landed. It would again really add to the immersion.
-A better more organic interaction system. It's so odd talking to someone, but then your companion wants to chime in so now it's just them on the screen, but then the original person you were talking to doesn't even acknowledge it and goes right back to talking to you. I mean if a space bug can interfere with me talking to a NPC and even murder them surely they can squeeze an extra character into the mix so I can actually see all the active participants.
-Better variety of random landmarks on planets. Of course it all feels very fresh when you first start but then you begin to realize planets tend to have the same copy/paste formula. It starts to make me not even want to hop my ass over to any of them cause I feel I already know what to expect.
-A land vehicle of ANY kind to get around a little quicker. Something like the sparrow from Destiny would be perfect.
Someone made a good point on the space loading screens it would be great if it did a Destiny type one where you have a 3rd person view of your ship flying as it loads which would allow you to admire your custom ship and reduce the break of immersion

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Someone made a good point on the space loading screens it would be great if it did a Destiny type one where you have a 3rd person view of your ship flying as it loads which would allow you to admire your custom ship and reduce the break of immersion
that would be nice to have the option, but I love how the loading screens are from your photo album. Then I get to relive great moments like these
HkqLh6R.jpg
R9UgpDW.jpg

I'm still just getting started with it. But I was on that really early mission to get the second artifact and I smacked one of the martian port workers just to see what would happen. One punch, and absolute pandemonium, within a few minutes (okay and maybe a handful of murders, I wasn't going to jail quietly) Sarah was done with me and I was the enemy of at least two states I think. Luckily I had a quick save. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I'm going to have some fun with this one. I might actually do what some of the other players are doing and just push forward with the primary quest and then try and experience as many of the other quests as I can after that with a little more freedom. That Sarah is ready to cut bait in a heartbeat.

salva

When people say this game opens up after 'X' number of hours... is there a specific main quest mission this is referring too? I'm on ~25 hours (and freaking loving it) but have only done the first 3 or 4 main quest missions. I just met the dude wearing the singlet in the space station orbiting Atlantis.

Montauk

I’ve finally played this for a bit. There already feels like a lot i could say.

A question though: does the scanner mode highlight objects or resources that are worth picking up?

I’ve realised now that I hadn’t tested that and I’m done with the game for the day.

I ask because one of my potential issues is how many environmental objects were all over the environment I was in.

I felt like I needed to go and look through all the clutter in order to not miss valuable stuff and I wasn’t enjoying that feeling or the prospect of doing it loads in future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom