• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So initially I picked this up via Gamepass but I decided to buy it outright. Downloaded again. Saves are all there. Awesome.

Now that I actually own it the game seems to run....better? Is this usual? Getting in and out of the menu and load screens is a lot less jittery. It feels tighter.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

ManaByte

Gold Member
Shamelessly nicked from Reddit:

NRJ4KWF.jpg
kurt angle wrestling GIF by WWE

Man I really want to play this; but I also read people over hyping TotK, and later ended up regretting spending $70 on that. My better judgement is telling me to wait on it.
This is what you need to consider.

Do you like No Man's Sky but wish it looked realistic and had better NPC's to talk to?

This game is literally NMS with loading screens (this is a pretty big one that you need to be able to get over/handle, if you can get passed this it's VERY immersive IMO) better graphics, better shooting mechanics, less tedious mining/outpost building and true NPC's that you can interreact with and complete tasks for.

Landing on planets outside of main cities is exactly the same as NMS as outpost, caves and structures are randomly generated. Once you establish a landing zone on a planet however it remains persistent I believe, so you can keep visiting that same spot that you first landed at if you liked the area.

Last edited:

Freeman76

This is what you need to consider.

Do you like No Man's Sky but wish it looked realistic and had better NPC's to talk to?

This game is literally NMS with loading screens (this is a pretty big one that you need to be able to get over/handle, if you can get passed this it's VERY immersive IMO) better graphics, better shooting mechanics, less tedious mining/outpost building and true NPC's that you can interreact with and complete tasks for.

Landing on planets outside of main cities is exactly the same as NMS as outpost, caves and structures are randomly generated. Once you establish a landing zone on a planet however it remains persistent I believe, so you can keep visiting that same spot that you first landed at if you liked the area.
Seems its a bit different to NMS in the way all the structures are hand crafted and unique and its just the lamdscapes that are randomly generated. In NMS they have a lot less unique structures and buildings

Here is a video I made if anyone is interested.

Spoiler free in regards to quest lines.
Only mild location spoilers of the landing pad area on Neon and one of the moons in the system, plus I talk to a random NPC ship captain for a few seconds.

But everything else is randomly generated. It just gives a decent showcase at what an average play session can look like outside of any quests.

Seems its a bit different to NMS in the way all the structures are hand crafted and unique and its just the lamdscapes that are randomly generated. In NMS they have a lot less unique structures and buildings
Yes true, a lot of the random buildings certainly have a handcrafted feel.

So maybe the devs made a ton of various buildings themselves and then procedurally place them across any landscape you travel to.

Last edited:

Montauk

I’m almost scared to download the game at this point. The discussions and feelings about this game are all over the place.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Damn some of these companions are a fucking drag. I chose to jokingly give Mateo shit about how I found 3 artifacts and he found none, and he thought it was funny and said he welcomes the friendly competition.

Then Noel and Andreja both start scolding me and arguing with Mateo about how we can’t have even friendly competition because someone might take it too far.

Smells like someone’s attempt to make “strong female” characters resulted in some 0 charisma harpies.

Roberts

Stopped doing main story for a while. Fooled around with some fetch quests in the city but moved on to Crimson Fleet questline and, goddamn, it's a great adventure story on its own. But, damn, I wish I could have more time to play this - to quote one of the bounty hunters in the game:"Too many missions, too little time"

Roberts

I'm going to need to hire a gunner and a pilot. I suck at space combat.
I can do it but I feel like I'm being filmed by some passerby and the video is going to be uploaded into Starfield's version of TickTock for everyone to laugh at my fumbling around.
You are not the only one. I mostly just jump out of the star system when things get hairy. Still with the first ship and I bought some new weapons but they seem to be worse and I can't figure out how to go back to my initial weapons.

I can do it but I feel like I'm being filmed by some passerby and the video is going to be uploaded into Starfield's version of TickTock for everyone to laugh at my fumbling around.
That would be fucking hilarious if they made an NPC film you candidly and then it's embarrassingly blasted by SSNN on every TV screen and billboard in New Atlas as you walk around.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I mostly just jump out of the star system when things get hairy.

Even this can get real dicey if you dont have many points in your grav system. 5 seconds to jump feels like 10 when you're sitting there helpless, getting pelted with lasers waiting for it to charge up

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
U6Bi1wu.jpg

If you want to really cheese your way through it, make an L shaped ship! Enemies always aim for the geometric center so they'll always miss if you're facing them head on with a ship shaped like this.

Also highly recommend EMP weapons. They're short range but REALLY good at disabling enemy engines and all their other systems too. You can render enemies completely harmless then board their ship, or just blow them up while they sit there helpless.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Even this can get real dicey if you dont have many points in your grav system. 5 seconds to jump feels like 10 when you're sitting there helpless, getting pelted with lasers waiting for it to charge up
So what's the best way to jump if trying to escape? I take it we can't do blind jumps but have to have a destination set?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So what's the best way to jump if trying to escape? I take it we can't do blind jumps but have to have a destination set?

Correct about no blind jumps. You do need a set destination...

..or you can just fast travel out of there lol it's really up to you. Ive done both. Just depends on the situation.

cormack12

Gold Member
3mYasKG.jpg

I made my character last night and got to the lodge. I started this morning at 08:00 and only logged off at 15:00, probably an hour of that was time lost in kitchen, phone etc. I haven't even completed Sarah's first mission and man does she bitch! Got to Mars and got embroiled in a mining quest line that took me places.

I've got to say, the space stuff doesn't bother me so much. I've come from everspace recently which was pretty much using supralight as hub travel and auto lock/orbit anyway. Its more fluid but to me it's just a nicer layer of icing on the same cake.

The graphics upgrades and animation upgrades are exactly what I wanted from a Bethesda game to get me hooked. If, like me, this stopped you getting into Skyrim and Fallout properly then this will be a welcome upgrade for you. Everything seems to have a sense of place as well. Moreso than Cyberpunk 2077 I'd say.

I've spent a lot of time today figuring out controls and adaptive context based on comments in the thread which has helped tremendously. There are definite improvements to be made over time, I don't mind the lack of minimap but the game does ask a lot of you.

I'd liken it to RDR2 in terms of contrasting opinions. If you didn't like engaging with the different systems in RDR2, like the camp management, speaking to the gang members, the general pace, hunting for resources, the satchel and context specific controls then Starfield might feel more of he same. If you did love RDR2 or grew to love it like I did then as long as you can get past the various instance loading screens then I think you will like this too.

I'm usually a follow the main quest person and pick off sidequests when I want but this is a rare occasion when I don't have some fake urgency thrust on me. At some point I need to explore for more artifacts, but there's no urgent need (no end of the world, no chosen saviour) So I feel freer even though I'm picking up lots of quests just by passing randoms. I feel I can just do what I want and it's really lit that creative synapse in my head. I'm doing what I want to do which is work towards being a smuggler and do other things if they pop up and look interesting. I'm not feeling stressed to max out an area/planet before moving on like an Ubi checklist. I'm going to be back to all these places frequently.

It's obviously not without issue but I do think they've created something familiar but with more depth than ever before. If you get distracted by the superficial design concepts they've adopted on some areas and let them ruin this for you then I think you will miss out on something really special.

And - to myself - I sound like one of those evangelists of skyrim who I used to think 'wtf am I am playing the same game?', but if they got the vibes I'm getting from this, I get it now.

Last edited:

Montauk

Can I get some views on what difficulty to play this on?

I find the majority of games to be very easy on normal these days.

This game is doing it for me in ways that Elder Scrolls and Fallout never have. Obviously, the old DNA is present, as it's very much a BSG game. That said, the setting and presentation put it over those other BSG games for me. I feel like a kid walking around in Future World at Epcot with those 80s style pavilion buildings. The music and sound effects are God-tier as well. I'm only 8 hours in, now, but I can't wait to see where this game goes.

Roberts

Yeah, I put everything in the shields and engine, boost as far as i can from the enemy and even though they follow you, I still have that tiny window before they attack.

Fess

Can I get some views on what difficulty to play this on?

I find the majority of games to be very easy on normal these days.
Depends on your experience in first person shooting I guess. I’m a total FPS noob and I play on normal and it’s challenging enough that I die quite often and struggle to have enough med packs. Space combat can be really tough too.
But then I hear other people saying anything except very hard makes it super easy.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
havent played a space game in a while so can anyone help me decide between:

dead space 3
starfield
NMS
the outer worlds
jedi survivor
other - name it

im kinda leaning DS3 over starfield...

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I'd liken it to RDR2 in terms of contrasting opinions. If you didn't like engaging with the different systems in RDR2, like the camp management, speaking to the gang members, the general pace, hunting for resources, the satchel and context specific controls then Starfield might feel more of he same. If you did love RDR2 or grew to love it like I did then as long as you can get past the various instance loading screens then I think you will like this too.
Steve Harvey Familyfeud GIF by ABC Network

100% accurate.

clarky

Gold Member
For me, normal feels about right. I usually play the default though and only ever change if I feel it is too easy or too hard.
Yeah another vote for normal. I've died a few times and im sick of punishingly hard games for now, just enjoying the ride.

Will bump up the difficulty on a second play through, if i ever come close that is lol

Damn some of these companions are a fucking drag. I chose to jokingly give Mateo shit about how I found 3 artifacts and he found none, and he thought it was funny and said he welcomes the friendly competition.

Then Noel and Andreja both start scolding me and arguing with Mateo about how we can’t have even friendly competition because someone might take it too far.

Smells like someone’s attempt to make “strong female” characters resulted in some 0 charisma harpies.
Yeah, always "disliked that." Like STFU and take a joke.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I literally had the same discussion yesterday but i was too distracted by how stupid mateo's hat look to even get mad with the harpies.

I hope the dude is bald underneath for maximum comedy effect.

Top Bottom