• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Wait ..
there are more shops to sell on New Atlantis?
I am constantly overloaded with things and I only found the sell machine right next to the Ship and that one Shop LW or something
Tons man. 2 med clinics. Coffee shop. Trade authority. Chunks. Multiple clothing shops. Electronics shop.

Trade authority in The Well is the big one and also the UC Distribution Center. Then there's UC Supply Overflow or whatever its called. Also Centaurian Arsenal. This is all just in New Atlantis.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Found an awesome gun, but it requires bullets I haven't been able to find yet. Having a blast with the game, will share more details later :)

Have you checked a merchant?

I can never find 11mm ammo for my Tombstone rifle in the world. I went to a merchant and bought loads instead.

cireza

Have you checked a merchant?

I can never find 11mm ammo for my Tombstone rifle in the world. I went to a merchant and bought loads instead.
Not sure. What are merchant for you ? I know of the various shops in New Atlantis. Maybe you are talking about wandering people ? In space ? I am looking for .43 ULTRAMAG.

I have not fully explored New Atlantis though, even if I saw most of the city. Spent a lot of time lockpicking apartments and stealing things from NPCs lol.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
how does it not crash??

This would start to explain why the engine is hard capping even the most expensive hardware. The persistence of all objects is kept with their physics. Super CPU intensive and of course will limit even a 4090.

It's cool looking but i would have traded a bit of a simplification of persistence of objects for say, better performances and less instancing of the world.

But impressive.

Ammogeddon

Not sure. What are merchant for you ? I know of the various shops in New Atlantis. Maybe you are talking about wandering people ? In space ? I am looking for .43 ULTRAMAG.

I have not fully explored New Atlantis though, even if I saw most of the city. Spent a lot of time lockpicking apartments and stealing things from NPCs lol.
Jemison Merchantile is a huge shop in the spaceport area of New Atlantis, you can’t miss it. They have an extensive range of ammo types. Go take a look, hopefully you’ll find what you need.

cireza

Jemison Merchantile is a huge shop in the spaceport area of New Atlantis, you can’t miss it. They have an extensive range of ammo types. Go take a look, hopefully you’ll find what you need.
I will check again. I remember checking several shops and none had these specific ammo. Will try this evening.

mansoor1980

I've gotten word of a star system that's being threatened by pirates, here let me mark it in your map

11olfus6k8591.png

Danknugz

hate to be that guy, but anyone else feel like it's basically a huge outer worlds DLC? it's literally the same game mechanics right down to the menus and inventory management with companions and how you can make companions hold stuff or wear certain items.

Punished Miku

And just so you guys know, to furnish the interior of an outpost you have to exit build mode, go in the habitat and hit scanner, then X (same button to place an outpost outside).

sainraja

I am having a hard time getting into Starfield. Something just feels off right now. I will continue playing it to see if I like it, but so far, I'm not really enjoying it. I haven't played much yet, so I might be judging it too quickly, but the opening is definitely not helping.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
hate to be that guy, but anyone else feel like it's basically a huge outer worlds DLC? it's literally the same game mechanics right down to the menus and inventory management with companions and how you can make companions hold stuff or wear certain items.

No, that really isn't a valid description of Starfield at all, especially considering the breadth and scope of Starfield dwarfs Outer Worlds. Outer Worlds only has a subset of Starfield's "game mechanics", primarily being a shooter, but that leaves so much out of the equation on Starfield's side. The inventory management involving companions is a holdover from Skyrim.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I need to get better at my ship building.

Also, I’m 60 hours in and New Atlantis and that mining town on Mars are the only major settlements I’ve been to.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I caved and got it. So far there are moments of brilliance followed by boneheaded game design. It really is menufield.
Stick with it, the menu's become less intrusive as you get used to them and the game reveal's itself.

When people said its a slow start, its not the story, its getting used to the game, it takes time because they explain literally fuck all.

Macaron

Banned
Stick with it, the menu's become less intrusive as you get used to them and the game reveal's itself.

When people said its a slow start, its not the story, its getting used to the game, it takes time because they explain literally fuck all.
Disagree. Im 15 hours in minimum and the menu navigation never stops being horrible and a mind boggling decision. Game is awesome, but could've been a masterpiece if Bethesda took the time to make a better travelling system. This "go to menu, click mission, go back to menu, click land" is arguably the worst travel system of all time.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I haven’t even touched the outpost stuff…

Wait, so are all of their RPGs like this?

If you wanted to do everything the game has to offer, it will be like what.. 150..200hrs? More?

Way more.

You've really never played any of their other games? No Skyrim? No Oblivion? No Fallout? :messenger_dizzy:

If that's the really the case color me jealous as hell.

clarky

Gold Member
Disagree. Im 15 hours in minimum and the menu navigation never stops being horrible and a mind boggling decision. Game is awesome, but could've been a masterpiece if Bethesda took the time to make a better travelling system. This "go to menu, click mission, go back to menu, click land" is arguably the worst travel system of all time.
You don't need to go into the menus to get around though. Point your ship at your destination and go. Hold start takes you directly to the map screen should you need it.

Not saying its great, far from it. But it does get better over time as you play when you realize the above, amongst other things. Which was my point.

Macaron

Banned
You don't need to go into the menus to get around though. Point your ship at your destination and go. Hold start takes you directly to the map screen should you need it.

Not saying its great, far from it. But it does get better over time as you play when you realize the above, amongst other things. Which was my point.
Unless im missing something its still almost the same. Point ship, Click x to go to menu, hold x to land. I love the game, its just a lazy travel system that could've been vastly better. Don't see more time played changing that.

Desless1

Soon ready to start the game up again. Lookingg forward to a Friday roaming space and do exploration on unknown planets! Perfection!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I dont think the travel system is really lazy at all. It's just different. Really different lol

In fact, I guarantee some of us are going to get so accustomed to zipping around so freely from place to place that when another big huge AAA game world drops I wouldnt be surprised if there are some of us complaining about it lacking such a super convenient fast travel system :messenger_grinning_smiling:

clarky

Gold Member
Unless im missing something its still almost the same. Point ship, Click x to go to menu, hold x to land. I love the game, its just a lazy travel system that could've been vastly better. Don't see more time played changing that.

I was on about system to system travel, there's no avoiding the map screen when choosing a landing zone.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw. The game is so so close to being one of the greatest I've ever played, but there's a few things holding it back from that accolade. The clunky menus and some of the travel being the main ones.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

If you don’t like using fast travel so much… just don’t use it. Go to your ship on foot, approach star map, select destination etc. This way it will be exactly as it was in Mass Effect.
Its literally exactly like ME. Only they added full ship battles, ship hailing, ship boarding, manual grav charge, and the scanning and galaxy map are 10x better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom