• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

hlm666

Unless im missing something its still almost the same. Point ship, Click x to go to menu, hold x to land. I love the game, its just a lazy travel system that could've been vastly better. Don't see more time played changing that.
As someone who played alot of elite dangerous having to plot a course/route then just spend time manually jumping from system to system then doing the same docking procedure/planet entry over and over I understand why they went this way. People would be screaming about having their time wasted if they went with something like that, or if they had both options most people would just be using the menu system after doing 2 or 3 manual journeys.

TonyK

I explored only a few of different planets and moons but I already found caves and facilities that are exactly the same. That has killed a bit my interest for free exploration. Finding a cave in Earth's Moon with organic elements, exactly the same cave I found in the first planet of the game, it has been my major deception with the game until now. I mean, I can accept that for any planet, but for our Moon? It deserved a bit more of care, I think.

Havoc2049

I've been on vacation and have been visiting family. I even had early access with the DLC purchace, but didn't get to take advantage of it. I just FINALLY started to play Starfield the other night and I'm going to play like 5+ hours today and really get into it.

So far I've completed the mining intro and took down a few Crimson Pirate ships and killed a Crimson Pirate captain. I'm a long time RPG/CRPG and Bethesda fan and so far I'm loving it. There is very little hand holding and it sometimes takes a little time to figure things out, but I don't mind it. I would much rather have that than have the game be dumbed down and hold your hand.

clarky

Gold Member
I've been on vacation and have been visiting family. I even had early access with the DLC purchace, but didn't get to take advantage of it. I just FINALLY started to play Starfield the other night and I'm going to play like 5+ hours today and really get into it.

So far I've completed the mining intro and took down a few Crimson Pirate ships and killed a Crimson Pirate captain. I'm a long time RPG/CRPG and Bethesda fan and so far I'm loving it. There is very little hand holding and it sometimes takes a little time to figure things out, but I don't mind it. I would much rather have that than have the game be dumbed down and hold your hand.
Your in for a treat. Enjoy.

Macaron

Banned
As someone who played alot of elite dangerous having to plot a course/route then just spend time manually jumping from system to system then doing the same docking procedure/planet entry over and over I understand why they went this way. People would be screaming about having their time wasted if they went with something like that, or if they had both options most people would just be using the menu system after doing 2 or 3 manual journeys.
You are assuming that is the only other solution though. I'm no creative game maker, idk what the answer is, but this method just ain't it for me. It might be a fine fast travel alternative, but feels wayyyy too lazy as your only method of travelling, especially when otherwise the game has been awesome.

Danknugz

No, that really isn't a valid description of Starfield at all, especially considering the breadth and scope of Starfield dwarfs Outer Worlds. Outer Worlds only has a subset of Starfield's "game mechanics", primarily being a shooter, but that leaves so much out of the equation on Starfield's side. The inventory management involving companions is a holdover from Skyrim.
it's definitely bigger but the main core meta mechanics, gameplay loop is just about identical

twilo99

Gold Member
Graphics wise? Yeah it can scale down. However, its the CPU bottleneck that is the issue. I do not think the XPU from the Xbox One, S, or X could handle it well.

It seems like they’ve maxed out whatever they can out is the current consoles.. the Xbox one x might be able to run 30fps at 540 or 720p? Not sure if worth it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I explored only a few of different planets and moons but I already found caves and facilities that are exactly the same. That has killed a bit my interest for free exploration. Finding a cave in Earth's Moon with organic elements, exactly the same cave I found in the first planet of the game, it has been my major deception with the game until now. I mean, I can accept that for any planet, but for our Moon? It deserved a bit more of care, I think.
I can get that. But I've personally been loving it. I can barely stop scanning and surveying to go do quests sometimes.

Just found a new cave full of dead miners and obscure alien creature biomaterial all over. Its not perfect but its not bad either. I just stick to what I am focused on accomplishing, and if I want to take a break for a random pirate shootout that is usually all I expect from the randomized structures. Sometimes they exceed that though. I think I've only had 1 double so far.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Not true. Look at a planet and use your scanner and it will show all the distinct landing points on the planet itself, then you can aim your ship at any of them and the option to land there will show up.
To be clear LB with scanner, A to select the spot, then hold X. The major cities seem to be the exception though and requires you to pick what spot in the city you’re landing in.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
StarUI is a godsend for this game. Now just need to fix the broken stealth and I'd be 100% satisfied lol

Stealth isnt broken. It sucks at the start yeah, but you just need to level it up. Im at level 3 and not only has the detection meter changed visually, but enemies can barely hear me let alone see me crouching around

How long until someone mods in the Mass Effect galaxy map theme

I was just about to ask the thread if anyone has a complimentary space playlist for this game? I really like the soundtrack of this game and I think once I've heard nearly all of it I'll be seeking out other space-themed music.

Connxtion

Disagree. Im 15 hours in minimum and the menu navigation never stops being horrible and a mind boggling decision. Game is awesome, but could've been a masterpiece if Bethesda took the time to make a better travelling system. This "go to menu, click mission, go back to menu, click land" is arguably the worst travel system of all time.
Why don’t you just use the set destination option?

Bypass the need for backing out of menus it takes you straight to the planet in question.

TheTurboFD

Stealth isnt broken. It sucks at the start yeah, but you just need to level it up. Im at level 3 and not only has the detection meter changed visually, but enemies can barely hear me let alone see me crouching around
Odd I'm at level 3 as well and they can see me from across a whole warehouse even with my Chameleon on. Hitting TAB to walk even slower and they still hear me around the corner even with my space suit off.

Danknugz

If it were "just about identical" then I wouldn't be able to fly a space ship.
I get your point and I'm just talking about from a design perspective. I guess it's just how Bethesda does all their games, and one could argue that is essentially a template:

1. open world
2. Lots of NPCs, some of which are more interactable and you need to finish quests for them to progress the game.
3. inventory management with maximum weight being a factor in what you carry and how you use storage devices
4. a place you can call your "house" or "base" where you can store items since you cant carry everything (see item 3)
5. a mechanism to upgrade weapons which is implemented in the game world as a bench or device you walk up to
6. same as 5 but for food and cooking
7. same as 5 but for clothes and armor
8. a skills/perks upgrade system for your character
8. an xp leveling system which is related to how you can upgrade your character and what skills/perks are available
9. a multi paged GUI management system to keep track of inventory/companions/quests/weapon, armor and character upgrades and appearance
10. a grading system for items found in the world where "legendary" is at the top and "common" is at the bottom, legendary is more rare and valuable

these are just the first ten or so things off the top of my head that are all very template - ish about these games.

clarky

Gold Member
I get your point and I'm just talking about from a design perspective. I guess it's just how Bethesda does all their games, and one could argue that is essentially a template:

1. open world
2. Lots of NPCs, some of which are more interactable and you need to finish quests for them to progress the game.
3. inventory management with maximum weight being a factor in what you carry and how you use storage devices
4. a place you can call your "house" or "base" where you can store items since you cant carry everything (see item 3)
5. a mechanism to upgrade weapons which is implemented in the game world as a bench or device you walk up to
8. an xp leveling system which is related to how you can upgrade your character and what skills/perks are available
9. a multi paged GUI management system to keep track of inventory/companions/quests/weapon, armor and character upgrades and appearance
10. a grading system for items found in the world where "legendary" is at the top and "common" is at the bottom, legendary is more rare and valuable

these are just the first ten or so things off the top of my head that are all very template - ish about these games.
You just described every Bethesda game from the last 30 years.

Topher

Gold Member

1. open world

Sure. I mean….they were not lying when they said it was Skyrim in space. It literally is.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Odd I'm at level 3 as well and they can see me from across a whole warehouse even with my Chameleon on. Hitting TAB to walk even slower and they still hear me around the corner even with my space suit off.

That is odd. I too thought for sure it was busted at the beginning because of their super vision. Even around lvl 2 I was much more successful at sneaking around. Maybe theres some secret numbers dictating it depending on your class, perks or background.

Danknugz

Sure. I mean….they were not lying when they said it was Skyrim in space. It literally is.
You just described every Bethesda game from the last 30 years.

Im loving starfield don't me wrong, in fact I actually appreciate the fast travel all over the place because I'm a lazy gamer in general. I also loved fallout 4 and outer worlds, starfield to me feels like a more fleshed out outer worlds with way more detail and work put in. Maybe outer worlds was kind of like a windows ME/vista/windows 8 of bethesda games, really just a huge beta for the eventual starfield release? I mean they're really that similar I can't help but notice the similarities. Outer worlds also has your own ship that literally lands there waiting for you just like starfield when you go off to do a quest and come back, and your companions might be there while a different one comes with you, etc

clarky

Gold Member
Im loving starfield don't me wrong, in fact I actually appreciate the fast travel all over the place because I'm a lazy gamer in general. I also loved fallout 4 and outer worlds, starfield to me feels like a more fleshed out outer worlds with way more detail and work put in. Maybe outer worlds was kind of like a windows ME/vista/windows 8 of bethesda games, really just a huge beta for the eventual starfield release? I mean they're really that similar I can't help but notice the similarities. Outer worlds also has your own ship that literally lands there waiting for you just like starfield when you go off to do a quest and come back, and your companions might be there while a different one comes with you, etc
Outer worlds is just a knock off BGS title not the other way around. Not sure what Obsidian have to do with Starfields development?

Think your getting confused these 2 games are not from the same developers.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Outer worlds is just a knock off BGS title not the other way around. Not sure what Obsidian have to do with Starfields development?

Think your getting confused these 2 games are not from the same developers.

i'm not confused i just never paid attention and assumed it was the same, but now that you mention it i do recall obsidian now. i guess that speaks to how similar to games really are.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
SLOBS. Keep your fucking ships clean peeps! Lol.

I have OCD and remove a lot of misc items and my ship is as clean as a whistle.
Filthy? She has no idea. If we had a blacklight, this thing would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

twilo99

Gold Member
Could happen. It will be interesting to see what the Shattered Space expansion is all about. Bethesda's expansions have been pretty huge in the past.

They seem to strive for huge so that makes sense. How many expansion packs did Skyrim have?

Freeman76

100% agree

Doing an hour journey through space just to sell some shit then do the same journey back again is boring as fuck! I wouldnt mind betting thats how Starfield started but as more people playtested it they changed it to how it is now, which is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Andreja's butt... I'm docked.

bmBzpz3.png

lefty1117

Gold Member

Yeah this is why I think the sentiment around the game is going to slowly improve over time. Not just because of the mod support which is already happening, but some of the design decisions are going to become clear in their intent. I'm already starting to see it with things like, I know I'm going to need to be able to move between outposts regularly and the thought of having to make 10 jumps every time ... no thanks! This is the sort of thing that has put me off of Elite and NMS, and probably will kill my enjoyment of SC in the long term. Once you've done the act of traveling enough it becomes a real bore.

Shubh_C63

Yeah my GTX 1660Ti laptop cannot handle the game. Mostly because of the non-SSD and weak CPU, and I am upgrading to all SSD just because of this game. I'm loving it.

And that Allanah Pearce video was soo cool. Made me appreciate the game more and frown on how bad or wasteful probably Bethesda is in making this game. Like aa good developer could have made some loading shenanigans there to implement Landing directly from space if you're already willing to sit 10 mins of space travel to get close to the planet.

Starfield really loves its menus and even then its a chore to navigate it. I would never want to see the Menu if they could implement me getting close to a planet (10 mins !!) and let me scan it from the ship itself without menu-screen and add some BS loading screen as I get close to enter the planet and transition into the landing cutscene. I really really wouldn't had mind.

Also because of that Allanah Pearce video I am more convinced there are REAL Xbox fans on payroll.

but I still would have loved both the options. I would sit through 10 mins for that and that's the penalty Bethesda could have imposed on us for the cost of real immersion.

Last edited:

geary

I never followed closely how Bethesda treats their game, but do they release patches which adds QoL, change system, fix major bugs or these changes are done only on a re-release of the game? I am also asking in the context that everybody keep saying that their older game (Skyrim, Fallout) are still buggy mess...

Top Bottom