• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Desless1

This might be my new favorite gun. 287 base physical damage + nice legendary perks + best mods, including recon scope.

3ELX96F.png
I really need to start upgrading my weapons. Doing 50-60 DMG at level 16 doesn't cut it anymore.

Going to my expansive house and do some work I guess.

Topher

Gold Member
You have to manually put in all the artifacts in the ship and without spoiling anything you can still leave the final "area" and go back to your ship/save even once you've arrived.

There's no way you'll accidentally finish your save.

So once you finish the final area can you continue playing with the game save session or do you have to start NG+?

DonJorginho

Banned
So once you finish the final area can you continue playing with the game save session or do you have to start NG+?
So in the final area it gives you two options, in the least spoilery way, keep walking forward for a minute or two to start NG+, or turn around and walk backwards and you'll wake up back in your ship and the mission to go back to there will still be in your quest list but will just say to go when you're ready, your companions will even have things to say about you coming back which was neat.

Roberts

I’m kind of jealous of you guys having the discipline to spend so much time on editing outposts and ships. I built a barely functional outpost and got all shaky from not doing any quests. Same with the ship - recently I got the UC prison ship that doesn’t even have guns and I have been using it because of convenience of instant grav drive. I guess it is a bit like me have the lack of patience organizing work folders on my mac: everything gets thrown into downloads and then into shit like ‘temp1”, “tempghghg”. Managable but barely functional.

Well, but that is the beauty of Starfield. Do whatever you want to do. Also, almost finished Crimson Fleet quest line and it has been amazing. Glad I invested into Persuasion skill and all the non-violent decisions and sneaking game me heavy Deus Ex vibes.

Last edited:

ZehDon

In my opinion, this has some of Bethesda's best side quests. Period. Constantly getting distracted on the way to do one quest with a multitude of others, and the side quests always have a little something extra to keep them interesting - characters, plot beats, setting, whatever. With Fallout 4, I was constantly disappointed with the side quests, and even the faction quests, and eventually I just walked away from the game altogether. With Starfield, I've yet to have a single quest that I haven't enjoyed in some way. It's really quite the feat, given the breadth they're covering. The deeper I get into the game, the more I see of it thanks to the quests, the more this sci-fi setting grows on me. A lot of what's working is the mix of styles; space westerns, military sci-fi, 80s cyberpunk, paperback pulp - it gives the quest designers an enormous amount of freedom to tell lots of interesting little stories. The sheer variety of experiences, and the quality of their execution, is just pushing this higher and higher up my list of favourite RPGs.

TonyK

Utterly insane to think I still have SO much to do in this game even after this long amount of playtime, nothing beats the feeling of a new Bethesda release for me, can see myself playing this for the next decade on and off between new releases, especially once mods come to the Series X.

bBeNebd.jpg
Not related but I dislike that Xbox shows the playtime in days. It's so weird.

cormack12

Gold Member
I read somewhere that I should continue the main quest until a certain point, for the game to truly open up.
Is this true and if so, where should I stop and start doing the side quests?
The quest is called into the unknown. Not sure if its best to complete or get up to it though sorry. It's the 3rd main quest I think

Freeman76

Do you get money out of it or is it entirely for show?

Sorry for asking, am just 5 hrs in. Not feeling like doing anything in the game really. Just walking around on moon, Venus etc. Jumping and climbing terrain, Scanning stuff if new. Taking it slow for now.
ITs for show more than anything. You can mine resources that you dont really need for anything. You can increase the range of your scanner which you dont really need to do either. Its mainly just so you can feel like you're making your mark on the system.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Some of you kats is legit making me jealous! There' still so much I have to do in this game. I had to buy some dudes freedom and it broke my bank account. I need a new ship because my current one isnt big enough. Now I'm searching planets and floating in space looking for folks to jack! I don't know who but, somebody bouts' to catch a case - BIG TIME! I'm finding another ship for me and my mates, got damnit!

Topher

Gold Member
I was planning getting into base building, but somehow I ended up working on boosting my Astrodynamics and Piloting skills. I've been grav jumping all over the place and had a bunch of cool random experiences with creepy abandoned space crafts, dogfights, weirdos salesman, etc.. Got a distress call from a research base on a planet and it turned into over an hour quest that's been pretty solid so far.

I found a cool suit that reduces the weight of weapons by 50% that I'm wear along with my boosted O2 helmet. That's really helpful since I like to loot guns and sell them.

The astronaut look with the Novalight pistol is nice. Totally NASA-punk, or whatever you wanna call it...

I2FMBZY.png

lol....why do I get poor man's Master Chief cosplay vibes from that suit?

Topher

Gold Member
I think melee has always been Bethesda’s weak point. I remember mostly using magic or ranged in Oblivion and Skyrim because it just felt less janky. Same here and then guns are surprisngly satsfying.

Pretty much. Bows in particular were awesome in Oblivion and Skyrim. Melee was just ok-ish in comparison, imo.

Starfield has so many variety of guns. I think I have about 20 on hand right now. But most of them work well in specific situations. I've gotten used to looking for adjectives to find the best gun.

something something something something Grendel

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
going to start saving credits for this thing

shieldbreaker_icon-f147aeed.png

Shield breaker right ? It's a great well balanced ship.

I think melee has always been Bethesda’s weak point. I remember mostly using magic or ranged in Oblivion and Skyrim because it just felt less janky. Same here and then guns are surprisngly satsfying.

Yeah, the gun combat is really good so I haven't felt any kind of jank.

But I'm also interested in sampling those one-punch kills they showed in the Direct. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Utterly insane to think I still have SO much to do in this game even after this long amount of playtime, nothing beats the feeling of a new Bethesda release for me, can see myself playing this for the next decade on and off between new releases, especially once mods come to the Series X.

bBeNebd.jpg

Same, your time is almost exactly the same as mine.

To think I've already put in more time in this game than any other in 2023 and barely done 15~20% of the quest/faction stuff.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
When enemies have a red and white health bar I've just been assuming energy weapons deplete the red quicker. That right or just stick to physical?

Chukhopops

I think white is armor rather than health. Some weapons can penetrate armor.
You mean red? Every enemy has white health but only strong ones have red health.

I checked on Google and found this:
A red health bar segment is destroyed by fully draining the white health bar of an enemy then after that a new white health bar will pop up. This new white health bar is simply just another health bar the enemy has. I would recommend thinking of the red health bar as an enemy’s health refiller since once you take one out, a new main health bar will be back fully.

adamsapple

My understanding is that it’s just multiple health bars, each red segment is one full white bar.

I haven’t noticed any difference in resistance.

That is also my understanding, the red area is like the health multiplier for the enemy, whiddle it down then when its over the final white bar is left.

adamsapple

Are some enemies them resistant to PHY? And I need Energy? Like Sarah?

To my understanding, energy weapons usually have longer ranges and more accuracy (and might work better on machines). I might not be right but that's how I've been operating.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I played 1 hour on consoles and I regret it.
I am going to continue my playtime on PC.
I can't aim properly with controllers.

Freeman76

Something I dont understand, if we cant break down misc items for resources what is even the point of the insane amount of clutter? I mean it all has physics etc it must use a lot of resources and its practically pointless. Surely they could have put those resources into other areas to improve the game, even if its performance wise?

The longer I play this the more half-baked it all feels, gameplay wise. Quests etc are brilliant, but damn it feels shallow in other areas. In a lot of ways it feels like a step back from FO4 when I was expecting it to be a lot deeper. Maybe its just me being a bit too familiar with their formula I dunno

Antwix

i suck at space combat

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_-2094840587-content_focused_v3.jpg
Are you by chance flying head on into other ships during a shootout? I was trying to do that in the early game thinking I would outgun others, but it rarely worked.

Once I learned how to use the boost (L3) and keeping engine speed at 50%, you become pretty agile. Many ships didn't hit me nearly as much and it allowed me get behind them.

mansoor1980

Are you by chance flying head on into other ships during a shootout? I was trying to do that in the early game thinking I would outgun others, but it rarely worked.

Once I learned how to use the boost (L3) and keeping engine speed at 50%, you become pretty agile. Many ships didn't hit me nearly as much and it allowed me get behind them.
not easy when there is 2 or 3 of them

Topher

Gold Member
Something I dont understand, if we cant break down misc items for resources what is even the point of the insane amount of clutter? I mean it all has physics etc it must use a lot of resources and its practically pointless. Surely they could have put those resources into other areas to improve the game, even if its performance wise?

The longer I play this the more half-baked it all feels, gameplay wise. Quests etc are brilliant, but damn it feels shallow in other areas. In a lot of ways it feels like a step back from FO4 when I was expecting it to be a lot deeper. Maybe its just me being a bit too familiar with their formula I dunno

You use those resources in crafting/upgrading, pharmaceuticals, research, building ships, outposts, etc. Or just sell it all if you don't want to mess with that stuff.

Reactions: Isa

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

The way I see there are 3 main types of cluter:

• resources for crafting
• consumables like food etc.
• misc objects that can be used to decorate your outpost or sold. Nothing like collecting old 📼 tapes and storing them in your base on Mars.

Reactions: Isa

Freeman76

You use those resources in crafting/upgrading, pharmaceuticals, research, building ships, outposts, etc. Or just sell it all if you don't want to mess with that stuff.
Yeah I get that about respurces but im talking about misc items. There is zero reason they need to be in the game which is a shame. I mean if you could, for example, pick up a hammer or pliers and break them down into iron it would make sense. You cant though, which is a step back even from FO76. Makes the game seem half cooked in some ways. I guess this time they spent more time on quests than game mechanics, which I get will appeal to a lot of people, but I enjoyed the aspect of FO4 where everything you find has a purpose.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah I get that about respurces but im talking about misc items. There is zero reason they need to be in the game which is a shame. I mean if you could, for example, pick up a hammer or pliers and break them down into iron it would make sense. You cant though, which is a step back even from FO76. Makes the game seem half cooked in some ways. I guess this time they spent more time on quests than game mechanics, which I get will appeal to a lot of people, but I enjoyed the aspect of FO4 where everything you find has a purpose.

That wouldn’t fit the tone of the game. You’re not scraping for metals to survive. You literally have entire planets made of iron, a limitless supply of it.

Top Bottom