• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Antwix

not easy when there is 2 or 3 of them
Yeah true. I try to get in a few shots at them in the beginning then boost and kinda bank off in a slight diagonal just past all of them. Once I'm just past them, I turn around and blast them from behind. Seems to work fairly well usually.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I get that about respurces but im talking about misc items. There is zero reason they need to be in the game which is a shame. I mean if you could, for example, pick up a hammer or pliers and break them down into iron it would make sense. You cant though, which is a step back even from FO76. Makes the game seem half cooked in some ways. I guess this time they spent more time on quests than game mechanics, which I get will appeal to a lot of people, but I enjoyed the aspect of FO4 where everything you find has a purpose.

Was about to say what MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh said. Resources are in abundance. My ship has tons in cargo that I haven't gotten around to using yet because I lack the skills. I think breaking down every notepad and coffee mug wouldn't make a lot of sense in this game.

Freeman76

That wouldn’t fit the tone of the game. You’re not scraping for metals to survive. You literally have entire planets made of iron, a limitless supply of it.
Good point. Ive loved all their previous games but for some reason this feels really shallow compared with their others and I cant figure it out. Dont want to give up on it but 15 hours into it the game hasnt grabbed me like any of their previous titles did, which is wierd because when I played the first few hours I felt like it was gonna be the best work they've done yet.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Good point. Ive loved all their previous games but for some reason this feels really shallow compared with their others and I cant figure it out. Dont want to give up on it but 15 hours into it the game hasnt grabbed me like any of their previous titles did, which is wierd because when I played the first few hours I felt like it was gonna be the best work they've done yet.

Shame, I’m on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I liked Fallout 4 but I really, really love Starfield. Hopefully you’ll like it more in the end!

Plus you’ll just be flying in circles just to get one or two hits on their backends.

There’s not a strafe on the ship that I’m missing right?
I dunno what you mean with flying in circles? You need to slow down your ship to have it turn faster, it's very easy to stay behind a ship once you're there, the problem is others targeting you.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Remember that it’s much faster to turn around by pulling left stick in opposite direction than it is to circle all the way around using the right stick.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Daily tip: To easily do the Starship Design challenges of installing ‘unique modules’:

Take over a ship, register it and head to a spaceport. Then strip it down to the basics. Go to through the list of hab modules and attach one of every part you can without going over mass, then go to the structural list then attach one of everything you can. If you go over mass or run out of space to put things just delete the last part and finalize, then go back in and delete all the structural parts and continue on from the list where you left off (the list will stay at the last part you bought). When you’re done the challenge just turn around and sell the ship.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Daily tip: To easily do the Starship Design challenges of installing ‘unique modules’:

Take over a ship, register it and head to a spaceport. Then strip it down to the basics. Go to through the list of hab modules and attach one of every part you can without going over mass, then go to the structural list then attach one of everything you can. If you go over mass or run out of space to put things just delete the last part and finalize, then go back in and delete all the structural parts and continue on from the list where you left off (the list will stay at the last part you bought). When you’re done the challenge just turn around and sell the ship.

I did that on one of my ships and when I finished I renamed it to Christmas Tree. It looked ridiculous.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
For ship weapons I’ve been focusing on particle beams and EMP weapons.

Particle beams are the jack of all trades. Long range, equally good against shields and hull. That’s convenient because I can spend my perks/money on one category that does it all.

EMP are just ridiculously good at disabling enemy ships very rapidly. I switch to EMP as soon as I get in range then just disable their systems one by one. Then you can either board the ship or finish it off with the particle beams.

mansoor1980

365-1693746587-558815097.png

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Ive played long enough to lodge a complaint about one big bug that actually bugs me.
The characters talk over one another way too much.
I Consider this a sim design flaw.

Fess

Is anyone here playing a legit melee build?
Not a build but I used a rescue axe probably til level 10 to chop enemies up quickly and save ammo, was great to just rush up close and start chopping. I have a rare cornered naval cutlass now that increase in power as health goes down, very useful in certain scenarios with the right level enemies.
The Bethesda melee jank is there though.

Favorite weapon in general right now is probably a legendary old earth scoped hunting rifle that does double damage on full health targets that also break through armour. Can one hit level 20 enemies far away.

cormack12

Gold Member
This game. THIS GAME. I know how frustrating it is to not gel with a game while others are wanking over it but I haven't loved exploring aimlessly like this since Death Stranding (which I need to also get back to!!).

Just done the vanguard mission with the deceased settlers, ready to go back and still there surveying, exploring. I feel like I need about another 6 points before I get my first character to a place I want them.

20008d08-b128-4fd8-a7oieig.png

8a79cfbd-f908-4179-b14qeex.png

Antwix

Oh god, I was concerned™ for a minute. I had to buy a secure cargo storage container for my ship and got it all installed. Then I went back to my ship and saw that my Captain's Locker was completely empty. Turns out it had transferred it to my overall cargo hold. OK no worries. ...but it also had transferred literally every single item aboard my ship to the cargo hold as well. Markers, playing cards, mugs, cups, darts, notebooks, folders, etc, etc. Had to spend like 5 minutes going through and jettisoning all that crap out of my cargo. At least everything was still there!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Exploration to me is the meat of the game. The faction campaigns also have great stories. And so far they all have 2 different endings. After I finish Freestar I'm gonna go temple farming to max out all the "Force Powers" and then I'm going to explore the universe proper.

I feel like there's little point in committing to Outposts, Ship building, gear acquisition until all that NG+ stuff is out of the way.

I can easily see this game becoming a Skyrim 2.0 once mod community contributes a whole lot to it. And even without it the game has so much content already not to mention Shattered Space DLC next year.

clarky

Gold Member
This game. THIS GAME. I know how frustrating it is to not gel with a game while others are wanking over it but I haven't loved exploring aimlessly like this since Death Stranding (which I need to also get back to!!).

Just done the vanguard mission with the deceased settlers, ready to go back and still there surveying, exploring. I feel like I need about another 6 points before I get my first character to a place I want them.
If it grabs you, then it really fucking gets you by the balls, I absolutely adore it.

Tip: If your planning on doing the Ryujin quest line then upgrade stealth at lease a couple of points,. Stealth doesn't work at all well at the base level.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Tip: If your planning on doing the Ryujin quest line then upgrade stealth at lease a couple of points,. Stealth doesn't work at all well at the base level.
I will never ever do the Ryujin questline ever again. Stealth all the things kills my joy. It's great if you want that James Bond schtick.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I thought it was great, but like i said you need to upgrade to make stealth viable. Its not the only way to do it though.
Oh I agree. If I was to do it again I'd be doing it almost exclusively with Void Form and maybe the Mind Read Powers. The story is great but I really hate all that sneaking around.

I really like how each faction campaign gives players a different slice of science fiction.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Well, after 2 days and a half days playtime I just had my first crash. That’s pretty much the longest run by far for me playing a mainline Bethesda game from release day going all the way back to Daggerfall.

The other surprising thing is haven’t had any quest stopping or limiting bugs (ie there’s way through but the bug locks out the other options). By this point I would have expected to run into a few, not that there aren’t likely ones out there, it’s just usually I’d always have a number of them by this point in any other Bethesda release.

It really is the most polished game they’ve ever produced…and by quite a margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Gambit2483

I'm at the part in the game where you are instructed to
0lz4DKG.gif

This is the kind of game where if you allow it, you can become very immersed in its systems and worlds with Hours upon hours of gaming bliss. The only problem are the few outdated gaming mechanics that seem to get in the way of that immersion. That said if you can get past them, this is a game that can easily offer 100+ hrs of gameplay.

Hopefully this is the last "traditional" BGS game and ES6 Truly innovates what a BGS game is.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Where do i buy a sexy dress for andreja? i'm in neon city and i just bought her a green dress but i want something more feminine, bitch looks like she is wrapped like a chocolate easter egg.

Oh and btw, the game must have a fetish with heads when it comes to glitches
IMG-20230909-174509.jpg

IMG-20230906-222007.jpg

I need that head photoshopped into andreja's body, PRONTO.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Where do i buy a sexy dress for andreja? i'm in neon city and i just bought her a green dress but i want something more feminine, bitch looks like she is wrapped like a chocolate easter egg.

Oh and btw, the game must have a fetish with heads when it comes to glitches
IMG-20230909-174509.jpg

IMG-20230906-222007.jpg
yrREHvn.jpg

That’s the ‘Brown Engineering Outfit’. I prefer the badass look...the black one might look a bit more badass though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Is Stealth the *only* way to do them or can you fight / talk your way across them too ?

I haven't put jack shit into stealth lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
yrREHvn.jpg

That’s the ‘Brown Engineering Outfit’. I prefer the badass look...the black one might look a bit more badass though.
She literally had that shit on her for the past 15 hours, if i had to look another time to that assassination of fashion i would have ripped my eyes off (or the correct english equivalent of what i just written)

The armour she has now has low defence but who gives a damn, i'm steamrolling the game anyway and she doesn't look like a space truck driver without a single mirror in her house :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom